Experience with BERSA ?...

PDA

GZOh
October 5, 2008, 10:06 AM
Anyone have any experience/comments on the BERSA guns... their quality, Customer Service, accuracy, reliability, etc.... They sure as heck are 'reasonably priced!'...

If you enjoyed reading about "Experience with BERSA ?..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
October 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
I have one on the "old model" Bersa .380 DT models. Its a great compact
.380 ACP semi-auto; but quite a bit larger than my KEL-TEC P3AT .380.
I have never expereinced any problems, or issues with this firearm. The
quality is not up too par with the German or American made Walther's;
but they are well made in Argentina, and sell for only a fraction of the
price of the Walther firearms. Oh, did I mention that the same manual
of arms applies too both pistols~? :scrutiny: :cool: ;)

The Lone Haranguer
October 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
I don't need any more 9mm pistols, but I would like to try one of theirs. An all steel 9mm or even .45 for $350-ish (albeit with only one magazine) is very appealing. I paid three times as much for a handgun that still malfunctioned and broke anyway, so you will not see me knock the low price.

bensdad
October 5, 2008, 11:26 AM
I paid three times as much for a handgun that still malfunctioned and broke anyway, so you will not see me knock the low price.

What's that you say? Are you implying that there's NOT a directly proportional relationship between price paid and reliability? The Kimber ads on the back cover of American Rifleman assure me that you must be wrong! As do the XD and Glock ads scattered throughout every gun rag in the known universe. (/sarcasm)

Bersa makes a good gun. My wife carries a Thunder 380. I can't cope with a backwards safety - freaks me out.

mactex
October 5, 2008, 11:28 AM
I have two .380s from Bersa and have only had one minor problem that was quickly corrected by a Bersa service center. I own their BT380 and 380cc. The BT380 has given me no problem and has well over 2,000 rounds through it. I quit counting at 2,000 about a year ago so I really don't know the actual round count. The 380cc has about 1,000 rounds through it. The only issue I've had with it was a trigger spring that would pop out of position, but a quick trip to Colorada Gun Works got the issue fixed and I've had no problems with the pistol since.

In my opinion, the Bersas are not machined as pretty as higher priced guns, but they perform every bit as well. Because of the machining they do require a bit of a break-in period, but after that they have worked very reliably.

ZeSpectre
October 5, 2008, 11:35 AM
Review here for the Bersa Thunder 380 Concealed Carry
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=316336

The Lone Haranguer
October 5, 2008, 11:50 AM
What's that you say? Are you implying that there's NOT a directly proportional relationship between price paid and reliability?
:uhoh:
http://takeaction.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/mob-pitchforks-small1.jpg

;)

berettaprofessor
October 5, 2008, 12:09 PM
Head for www.bersatalk.org for more info.

I had a Bersa Thunder 380. Liked the gun alot, and it's definitely good for the money. No FTF's but had a bit more recoil than most blowbacks. It wasn't of either the quality or the accuracy of my Beretta 84's and 85's so I eventually sold it because I wasn't shooting it....certainly didn't qualify as a safe queen :)

krs
October 5, 2008, 12:35 PM
I handled a Bersa Thunder .380 at a show yesterday mostly because I was curious about why all the enthusiam for Bersa guns. I'd never seen one 'in person' before.

I thought it was a cheap pistol with the feel of some of the potmetal junk that used to be available before somebody clued in legislators to the concept of a "Saturday Night Special". A good plastic or 'tupperware' pistol is a better buy than one that's got a chance to crack and be useless at any moment of firing.

I won't be owning any Bersa guns and I've got more than 200 handguns currently.

It doesn't cost THAT much more to buy a quality pistol made from good steel or alloy. It might SEEM like a lot but IMO guns like Bersas end up costing much more by not lasting the lifetime that a good one can last.

Do Bersa owners get "Bersitis"? It's a very painful condition in another spelling.
(Bursitis - something to avoid).

Well, you did ask...

GZOh
October 5, 2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the input guys!!...

Been thinking more along the lines of their 'full-size' THUNDER 9/40 models...

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/bersa_thunder40_HC_large.gif

Like LHaranguer... "I don't need any more 9mm pistols, but I would like to try one of theirs. An all steel 9mm for $350-ish is very appealing."... Yes, it is. What do their 'second' mags usually run$$?

ZeS... you've played with alot of CZs... how's their quality/workmanship compare?...

Any Customer Service experiences/repairs??... What is their relationship (if any) with Colorado Gun Works??

Pat-inCO
October 5, 2008, 01:27 PM
They sure as heck are 'reasonably priced!'
As long as you remember that you get (for the most part) what you pay for. Does than mean that a Wilson, at $2,800 is the best going? Not in my opinion. The Wilson is the exact opposite end of the spectrum from Bersa.

Bersa is a low cost alternative. Take it as such.

I like the results obtained from CZ (Dan Wesson) and Kimber. Kimber is far more expensive but there is good value there in both.

I would hesitate to shoot competition with a Bersa, but they would be fine if you shoot in the few hundred rounds per year range, not in the thousands per year.

The Lone Haranguer
October 5, 2008, 01:43 PM
IIRC, extra Thunder 9 mags were $40-ish at a gun show.

amprecon
October 5, 2008, 03:02 PM
I have two, the Thunder .380 duo-tone, which is not a pot-metal gun and has been accurate and reliable and the UC9 which is also not a pot-metal gun and also has been accurate and reliable. I did have an issue with the UC9 where while pressing the trigger with it empty and the safety on, the trigger return spring just broke. I called them and they sent me a replacement spring right away at no cost and said it was a very unusual case with that part.
But I have had no other problems with either one, and they have been utterly reliable and at least as accurate as my Glock 23.
What people just can't seem to grasp is that even in the modern era we can still find good deals on quality products. I normally believe in you get what you pay for too, but there are always exceptions to any rule. These guns are not as refined and polished as their more expensive counterparts, but when I grab up my gun it sure isn't being taken to a fashion show, it's to do a job. As a mechanic myself, some tools just aren't pretty but I'd be useless without them and work just as well as the more expensive shiny ones do.
I guess some people are just above non-trade names. More power to you, the economy needs people like that.

MutinousDoug
October 5, 2008, 03:31 PM
With regard to "potmetal junk": all Bersas carry a lifetime warranty and have a service network that seems eager to make your gun right. Spare parts are available and inexpensive. I have corrisponded with Colorado Gunworks and found them to be informed and helpful. Fortunately, I've had no need of their repair service but they are an active contributor to Bersatalk.com regarding service/maintenance issues. HTH

krs
October 5, 2008, 03:36 PM
To reiterate, I said "the FEEL of potmetal junk".

ZeSpectre
October 5, 2008, 07:42 PM
ZeS... you've played with alot of CZs... how's their quality/workmanship compare?...

The level of quality/workmanship on my Thunder 380 concealed carry is very good. I have no question that the CZ line is BETTER but CZ has been consistently putting out some very high quality gunwork for years now.

I bought the Bersa because I wanted a smaller "pocket gun" and that best fit the bill for me at the time. I have not been disappointed with the choice though I am also sure that eventually I'll be the owner of a stainless steel SIG P232 but that's because I'm a SIG and CZ nut, not because the Bersa has failed to meet expectations.

Oh and just a note, I understand completely what KRS says about a "feel of potmetal junk" due to the very light frame and relatively heavy slide as well as the oddness of whatever finish Bersa uses. It -does- give the gun a very unusual feel and many interpret that feel as "cheap junk". As I said, I understand completely...and disagree completely. We talk a lot about that indefinable "feeling" of "quality" and much of the Bersa line has a "feel" all it's own.

Rustynuts
October 5, 2008, 07:59 PM
The 45's feel a lot better than the 380's. The 380 slide feels like it's stamped, not sure if it is. The 45 looks and feels beefier with a machined slide. The polymer grip is flawless. Has an alloy frame, and mine has the stainless slide. What more could you ask for? Sure the slide has a few stray machining marks, but nothing atrocious or really visible. It's basically a $2-300 cheaper version of my XD, or what the XD might look like if it was $300 less. The full ambi-controls is also a plus for lefties. Only negative for me is the relatively low round count for such a fat grip (7+1)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/familypics003-1.jpg

Ignatius
October 5, 2008, 11:40 PM
I had a Bersa .380 for several years as a daily CCW gun, it was always reliable and I ran a lot of ammo thru it.( Now I carry a Keltec P3AT because it is much smaller and disappears in the front pocket of a pair of pants). I have a friend who is a gunsmith and he has changed my mind on several guns that I assumed were junk (rest assured he hates Lorcin/Bryco and Jennings) that he thinks are well made and good shooters, noteably Bersa and some of the late Astra's before they went out of business.

They are good guns, not as pretty as a Walther but they are well made and go bang when you need them to.

Disaster
October 6, 2008, 09:50 AM
I've read that the materials, like the slide, are of a little softer steel and won't last as long as, say a Sig. However, if you aren't planning on putting 10's of thousands of rounds through it, it will probably last a lifetime I've only read good things about their reliability.

propex
October 6, 2008, 10:25 AM
Try www.bersatalk.com for info and insight to these guns. I have a Thunder UC .45 and love it

jackstinson
October 6, 2008, 10:26 AM
I have an old steel blued Bersa 383 (the original, not the 383A)....the granddaddy of the current BT380. It's the same basic gun, but is single action only and has the mag release in the lower left grip plate. Mine has had many hundreds of rounds through it and is still shooting strong. I don't see it wearing out anytime soon.
I've never used their customer service, my Bersa hasn't had any problems. It's a good shooter, smooth action, and carries well (if a little heavy being all steel). Feels about the same as the current Bersa .380's I've handled. "Feel" is subjective I suppose.

JR47
October 6, 2008, 10:47 AM
How many people, really, will put 10,000 rounds through a pistol? My daughter decided that the Bersa Deluxe was for her. It works every time, and she shoots it accurately. Probably 1000 rounds through it in two years, most in the first six months. Today, she shoots our guns regularly, while looking at a future purchase. The Bersa? Her licensed CCW weapon.

How many will shoot a match with it? VERY few. Face it, most of us aren't sufficiently good with dedicated pistols for matches to win regularly, much less with sub-caliber guns. The sight radius is short, and the sights are pretty coarse, and small.

Our DoD Club in Maryland ran a "mini-gun" course of fire, sort of an IDPA that allowed nothing but short-barreled, and small-caliber, guns. The scores of even the regular IDPA and IPSC shooters weren't going into any record books. We also learned that, to stand a chance, the matches needed full day-light.

I thought it was a cheap pistol with the feel of some of the potmetal junk that used to be available before somebody clued in legislators to the concept of a "Saturday Night Special"

Odd comment. There are those looking to clue in our legislators to the concept that "Saturday Night Specials" are short-barreled, easily concealed, guns, the original definition. No matter the construction, materials, or price. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Personal opinions on-line are public domain for the anti-gunners.

ZeSpectre
October 6, 2008, 10:54 AM
How many people, really, will put 10,000 rounds through a pistol?

I confess to asking that same question quite often. I've kept a running "round count" for the past couple of years and admittedly I tend to "rotate through" all of my guns, but if one of my guns gets 1,200 rounds through it in a year then it's been shot pretty heavily (for me anyway).

Now I'm not saying that there aren't folks who shoot 10k rounds out of a gun, I know a very serious competitor who shoots 500-1,000 rounds PER WEEK (26,000-52,000 rounds a year) but he's a tiny percentage of the gun owning public that I know.

EdLaver
October 6, 2008, 11:17 AM
I have a Bersa 380 Thunder, great little gun. I have had it for 5 years and it has about 700 rounds through it without a single malfunction. My mother is elderly and she owns one also. Her face still lights up when I occasionally take her to the range to fire it.

hankdatank1362
October 6, 2008, 11:53 AM
Bersa makes great pistols.

My dad has the Mini-Firestorm 9mm (The compact version of what you posted.) He's put at least 4K rounds through it with no problems, except for a FTRB a couple months ago. I wondered why it did that.

Turns out he hasn't cleaned it since he bought it. Or field stripped it. He just hit the rails with a little oil and called it good. Well Hell, any pistol will choke with abuse like that.

I broke it down and cleaned 'er up real nuce, and man, that little sicker can shoot! Small balloons offhand @ 30 yards is plenty accurate enough for me!

ETA: Although, I doubt they would be that comfortable for carrying, they thend to have some sharp corners.

7Star
October 6, 2008, 12:42 PM
The 380 seems to be real popular. I've been considering a 9mm compact purchase lately. Currently, I own a couple makarovs and pocket pistol. However, I want to start doing some local IDPA comps. I know the alot of guys are going with the full size pistols...but honestly the mak is the biggest thing I would ever consider carrying...I mostly only carry the pocket one. The bersa mini seems like a good 9mm alternative. My first thought was to go with the CZs...but the Bersa 9m seems to carry better for me. but...I'd much rather have the thinner single stack as my IDPA/CCW....

Does anyone have any experience with the 9mm Bersa Compact shooting IDPA. Any alternatives. I'd like it to be as close to my mak as possible.

Thanks

burningsquirrels
October 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
GZOh,

I've got my life on the line with a Bersa 380 cc riding inside my waistband. Tested all-OK with Speer Gold Dots.

burningsquirrels. :)

iafirebuff
October 6, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just got back from the range....I LOVE my new Bersa Thunder 380! I ran 60 rounds through - some fmj and some Speer Gold Dots - NO malfs, just good shooting! I am going to be buying more Bersa's!

thirdeagle
October 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
I loved my Bersa .380 and I never had a need for customer service as the firearm functioned flawlessly.

As my confidence in the 9mm round waned I realized that the .380 was not likely to see much carry so I sold her. Fit and finish were on par with a sub-$300 firearm but reliability was 100% without question. She digested anything - no FTFs or FTEs. Mags were expensive and good concealment holsters (other than nylon and kydex) were difficult to find. The .380 is not an economical round but I might consider another Bersa .380 some day if I have disposable income.

rondog
October 6, 2008, 04:37 PM
My BT.380 is a sweetheart! The other is a FEG PA-63 in 9x18 makarov.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/pockets01.jpg

burningsquirrels
October 6, 2008, 04:38 PM
https://www.student.gsu.edu/~ggingco1/post/bernie_sm.jpg

25' or 30' fast fire, i forget. draw and shoot one round as fast as i can without aiming.

i don't know about you guys, but i hate (paying for) carry ammo trials... :D

springmom
October 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
I've had three of them. The first one, a .380, I traded for a S&W J-frame. That first one had the annoying habit of spitting burning gunpowder back onto my wrist when I shot it. (Not fun.:scrutiny:) I didn't think I'd buy another, but eventually got to thinking about a 9mm in that size, and got the Bersa 9 with a double-stack mag. Loved it. I eventually gave it to my middle son for his car gun. Then went and bought another Bersa .380 which is now usually MY car gun, but sometimes my carry gun.

It shoots very well, is not too much recoil at all, and I've never had a problem.

It isn't sleek and sexy looking like a Walther (mine's all black, not duo-tone) but it shoots just as well as something more expensive.

Especially considering their price, they're a great gun and a great buy.

Springmom

jjohnson
October 6, 2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I bought a Bersa 383 (.380) maybe 16-18 years ago, shot a bucket of ammo through it, gave it away to a friend who needed one.

No malfunctions. Can't speak for the customer service department - never needed anyway. It was well built, tight, and maybe not as pretty as a Belgian Browning (remember those?) but it was very reasonably priced. I'd buy another one and carry it CCW if I needed another one that size.

tekarra
October 6, 2008, 09:16 PM
I have had my Thunder for about 10 years and never had a problem. The grip is a bit large for me, but that is my only complaint. Sure would like to see one made in single stack so it will fit my hand better. Check out www.bersatalk.com.

GunLvrNLearner
October 6, 2008, 09:37 PM
I have a 45 UC and it has been perfect, Bersa seems to be the best budget handgun, Ruger may be better not sure but i prefer feel and look of Bersa

Big Daddy Grim
October 6, 2008, 09:43 PM
Bersa is an ok gun but Ive only had mine for about a year although I did notice I get better groups from my XD9 than from the Thunder 9. But for the price the .25inch difference isnt really that bad.

iafirebuff
October 6, 2008, 10:25 PM
When I bought my Bersa last week the gun shop had that PA-63 Mak in there - Was toying with getting that...$199 on the tag.

gbelleh
October 6, 2008, 10:39 PM
My Bersa Thunder 380 has been 100% reliable. I wouldn't mind buying another Bersa except that they started putting those internal locks in them now.

Crazy Fingers
October 6, 2008, 11:35 PM
I have a Bersa Model 86. This was a predecessor to today's Thunder 380 Plus. I have about 1000 rounds through it, and it only gets better with time. I did have to polish the feed ramp to get it to feed hollow points reliably. But 5 minutes with a Dremel tool is no big deal, and you've got to do it with a lot of pistols anyways.

I think the ergonomics of the pistol are superior. It fits my hand better than any other pistol I've held. The double action trigger pull is actually quite decent, and the single action is very nice. I shoot it better than I shoot any of my other pistols.

As for feeling like "pot metal", mine is certainly not that way at all. While it definitely doesn't remind me of looking at a Purdy shotgun's fit and finish, it is not bad at all. Mine has a nickel finish which has been extremely durable. The pistol is all metal, and if you ever ran out of ammo (and there's a lot of it for a pistol this small) then it's dang sure sturdy enough to pistol whip the heck outta someone.

In fact, I can't think of anything I really dislike about it.

MICHAEL T
October 7, 2008, 02:34 AM
Ok Bersa are a fine pistool the 9/40/45 now come with 2 mags not one If mermber of Bersa talk I can get you 10% on bersa mags and other items in the online store.
I passed the 4000 member mark yester and were still growing.
ON BT we give in drawings Mags grips patches and so on away .
So want to know about Bersa then come to the board for Bersa and its owners.
http://bersatalk.com

kitsapcharly
October 7, 2008, 03:25 AM
I have experience with the 380 Thunder and Thunder+(15-shot.) they work fine and give you lots of gun for the money. Lifetime warranty and very good customer service...a thing sadly lacking for many companies. Probably one of the best buys around.:)

Ridgerunner665
October 7, 2008, 03:38 AM
I have a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact that has been through a few thousand +P rounds...and its still going strong.

I carried it as my CCW for 3 years with no problems...I only switched because a 1911 felt so good in my hand, and that is not to say the Bersa didn't feel good...its just that my Baer feels better.

I'm not so crazy about the 380's...the safety is awkward.

electronrider
October 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
My wife wanted a carry gun, and fell in love with a Bersa thunder in .380 a mutual friend had showed her at the range. He was complaining about how much of a piece of junk it was ( he bought it used), and asked if I wanted it for 125 bucks. I said sure, knowing that Bersa had a lifetime warranty.

Went home and tore it down, and it was absolutely filthy. Gave it a good cleaning, and lubricatin, and back to the range we go.

Neither me nor my wife have had a single problem with that gun since. It is a great little shooter, and my wife has a gun she loves to shoot.

What more can a fella ask for?:)

GZOh
October 7, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks again, for all the BERSA input!!...

I guess the 'bottom-line' is that BERSA definitely makes a quality gun for the money... and that very few of the owners, have had any major problems with their guns.

Gonna keep my eyes open for a good price on that full-size Thunder-9.

Thanks.

printcraft
October 7, 2008, 06:38 PM
There hard to beat especially in the .380.

Why do they need to be machined from titanium
with a lower power round of a 380?

I got mine used and dirty. Striped and detail cleaned.
NOT 1 ftf in 500 rds.

samurai
October 7, 2008, 07:16 PM
380 duotone
380CC.
Both are great

saturno_v
October 7, 2008, 08:19 PM
I handled a Bersa Thunder .380 at a show yesterday mostly because I was curious about why all the enthusiam for Bersa guns. I'd never seen one 'in person' before.

I thought it was a cheap pistol with the feel of some of the potmetal junk that used to be available before somebody clued in legislators to the concept of a "Saturday Night Special". A good plastic or 'tupperware' pistol is a better buy than one that's got a chance to crack and be useless at any moment of firing.

I won't be owning any Bersa guns and I've got more than 200 handguns currently.

It doesn't cost THAT much more to buy a quality pistol made from good steel or alloy. It might SEEM like a lot but IMO guns like Bersas end up costing much more by not lasting the lifetime that a good one can last.

Do Bersa owners get "Bersitis"? It's a very painful condition in another spelling.
(Bursitis - something to avoid).

Well, you did ask...

Krs

I suspect you handled something else, not a Bersa....otherwise your comment about potmetal junk is totally wrong.

I owned and still own several handguns, from high price to economical and I can unequivocally say that Bersas are at the moment the best deal for the money....opinion of other owners and people that got to know these pistols.

My daily winter CCW carry is a Thunder 40, which I absolutely love, light and compact despite being a full size combat pistol, extremely balanced and deadly accurate.....never malfunctioned.

Steel and alloy quality are on par with any other manufacturers.

I heard Customr Service is excellent (I never did need it) and you can call several different locations not only one in case of need.
Life warranty, +P rated.

The "problem" is that the company does not spend one penny in advertisement so you need to be a real firearm connoiseur to appreciate them.

I do not want to spend thousands of dollars for a reliable handgun because of fancy web sites, glossy advertisement and paid "expert" reviews in specialized publications...sorry

An other reason for their lower cost is that BERSA does not invest much in R&D but rather use other companies (mainly Walther..Beretta in the past) as source of technical "inspiration". The Thunder 380 is basically a clone of the Walther PPK and the Thunders full size have lot of the mechanics in common with the Walther P-88.
On top of that, they are produced in Argentina and Brazil where cost of labor is less.

In firearms stores Bersas are sold out more often than not, the little Thunder 380 is immensely popular, literally it flies off the shelves and for a very good reason....aestetically appealing, extremely reliable, high quality and inexpensive...

A fellow shooter and regular SIG carrier at the range where I go fell in love with my Thunder and wanted to buy the 9 mm version....he had to back order it.

The only downsides are:

1) Exterior finishing is not on par with Kimber, Beretta, SIG and the like...few tooling marks here and there...but overall more than perfectly acceptable...and Bersas come with a cheap cardbord box, nothing fancy......well if you want to spend double for a nice plastic case and more jewel like exterior finishing, get a SIG....more power to you.

2) Expensive original magazines....BUT TOP NOTCH quality of construction...high grade springs and stainless steel followers instead of plastic ones like everybody else....so I don't know how much of a downside this really is.

GZOh

You cannot go wrong with the Thunder full size (9 or 40), IMHO they are among the most visually appealing combat pistols in the market at the moment, simply, you cannot beat the quality, features and reliability for the money.
The Thunder 9 is the official handgun of the Argentinian Armed Forces and Argentina Federal Police.
Several other Police Forces across Latin America use either the Thunder 9 or 40.

The last time I fell for the "myth of the brand" (Tanfoglio aka EAA in US) I had a horrible experience, crappy, or better said, non-existant customer service and continuous malfunctioning...I had to get rid of it.

This is my Thunder 40

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7871/bersathunder40bg3.th.jpg (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bersathunder40bg3.jpg)http://img135.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

If you want to know more about BERSA you can go here. The company has been in business for more than 50 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BERSA

and here for more about the Thunder full size

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BERSA_Thunder_9

By the way BERSA won several IPSC competition too.....

j1133s
October 7, 2008, 09:02 PM
I've owned a Bersa semi auto in .380 acp. It was an impulse buy. It is a 3" fixed barrel, single stack (6-8 rnds) all steel gun. It's heavy for its small size and well made in Brazil. It came w/ just 1 mag, extra mags costed $40 each (which is 20% of the new gun's price). It functioned flawlessly and was easy to shoot.

I sold it since I didn't want to buy its overpriced magainzes and .380acp ammo is costly and not interesting to shoot. Basically I didn't need it. It sold quickly and I only lost $20ish in the transaction -- very good for a new gun. So they seem to keep their value.

modifiedbrowning
October 7, 2008, 11:00 PM
Do a search om my user name to let you know how excellent my Bersa pistols have been.
I have 4 (3 9mms and 1 .22 and although the .22 is balky with lower vel ammo the 9mms have been 100%)

357sigRog
October 8, 2008, 02:17 AM
I only have 1 Bersa, it is a .380 Thunder, great little gun, very accurate and fun to shoot. Have never had any problems with it and has a lifetime warranty.

The Lone Haranguer
October 8, 2008, 05:55 AM
Is this meant to be engaged with the hammer down or cocked? Does it decock? Can the gun be carried cocked and locked?

IamBigiron
October 8, 2008, 12:00 PM
I have a Bersa .380CC and a Bersa 9MM UC. Both function flawlessly. Both are carried concealed, and, yes, I bet my life on them.

Richard
October 8, 2008, 02:44 PM
I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and 45acp, both are great carry weapons. A carry weapon takes a lot of abuse and therefore I do no use my expensive handguns for that purpose. Regards, Richard:)

saturno_v
October 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
Is this meant to be engaged with the hammer down or cocked? Does it decock? Can the gun be carried cocked and locked?

Yes it is a safety and a decocker.
You can engage it with hammer down or up, regardless.
When you engage it with the hammer up, it decocks, of course.

For me is one of the most ergonomic safety I ever tried.

Tim Pierce
October 8, 2008, 04:39 PM
I have a Bersa Mini Firestorm .40 that is very reliable, and a decent shooter. I think I bought it new for $279.00

.380awsome
October 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
i dont own one but i fired 3mags out of a relatives bersa .380,it worked just as good as my ppk/s i was suprised though it didnt feel as good in my hand ,it was still overall a great gun:D

pakmcc
October 9, 2008, 09:25 AM
I sell guns, mostly Bersa's and CZ's, I also sold guns for the local Academy for three years. I've had one Bersa break in all that time and it was made good, complete replacement.
It was a thunder 40. it's the only one I've see with a problem. I can't shoot the .380's anymore, they hurt my hands(I'm 67) I can still shoot the full size pistols. I have a deal, try before you buy. I let a man and his mother shoot a bunch of pistols and he brought two thunder .45's. One for himself(he's a polic officer ) and one for his mother. (he's 50 years old)(Mother is ????)
I don't believe the BErsa's are quite as accurate as my CZ's. that being said, most people will never be able to tell the difference. there's not much difference.(I've shot them side by side and I can tell a little difference, I think)
The thunder .45 is a very mild kicking pistol compaired to the T .40. The T-9 is a 9mm, what can i say.
Yes, I've got all of them. but you can't beat their little .22's for accuracy. If you can hold it they will shoot it. And the 6" .22 is assum.
Saying that I'll will never give my my CZ .22's
Pat

iafirebuff
October 9, 2008, 12:25 PM
I LOVE my new Thunder 380! In fact I love it so much I am going to get a Bersa 9mm UC 13+1 in the next few weeks :)

R.Ph. 380
October 10, 2008, 02:27 AM
Both the wife and I cc Bersa 380's. She carries the 380CC all matte finish and I carry the Thunder 380 DT every day. Her's has never had a failure of any kind, I've had to replace one spring in mine. Lifetime warranty and a Master Gunsmith as a member on Bersatalk forum. What else could you ask for. BTW, It's more accurate than I am proven by shooting from a rest.
Bill:cool:

mordechaianiliewicz
October 10, 2008, 02:32 AM
Decent weapon to shoot. Never tried JHP is one though.

GunLvrNLearner
October 10, 2008, 02:44 AM
I've shot Hornaday Hollows in mine with no problem

papajohn
October 10, 2008, 08:00 AM
Own a .380 and a 45, couldn't be happier with them. The 45 goes on in the morning with my pants, and stays for the day. With a spare mag I've got 15 rounds of 230-grain Hollow points, should be plenty. I used my .380 a year ago to thwart a carjacking attempt. After that, I liked it even better!

PJ

RX-178
October 10, 2008, 08:07 AM
You know, I've been thinking about getting a .40 S&W, for the primary reason that.... I don't have one.

I was originally considering a Hi Point .40 carbine, but it looks like a Bersa pistol might be a better choice.

oldhack62
December 26, 2008, 11:45 PM
...I thought it was a cheap pistol with the feel of some of the potmetal junk that used to be available before somebody clued in legislators to the concept of a "Saturday Night Special". A good plastic or 'tupperware' pistol is a better buy than one that's got a chance to crack and be useless at any moment of firing...
It doesn't cost THAT much more to buy a quality pistol made from good steel or alloy...
This is what is known as 'trolling'. Because this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
The alloy frames of today's Bersa's are made not of "potmetal junk", but 7075 aluminum, which is what the airframes of the original Japanese Mitsubishi Zeros were made from, and is still used today in many aeronautical constructions.
The Bersa steel slide and barrel is 41L40 steel, which is hardened and noted for its durability.
You can, as they say, look it up -- if you actually want to know what you're talking about, that is.

JR47
December 27, 2008, 09:48 AM
Actually, many of the lower receivers of AR rifles are made of 7075 aluminum, as well. I guess they'd be considered pot-metal by some, then.

My daughter uses her Thunder Deluxe .380 as a CCW. We just had it Lauer Dura-Coated as her Xmas gift. It's an easy to fire weapon, and accurate enough for any self-defense purpose. The little gun feeds JHP with zero problems.

There are an awful lot of these guns in the hands of people. They have an excellent reputation, and are economical. That, apparently, somehow violates some senses of propriety.

SJ78
December 27, 2008, 10:21 PM
My Dad had a Bersa 380 in the early 90's . It was a good gun never jammed.
It did have a slide crack though at about 2,000 rounds. Was sent back to bersa and was fixed. I think for the price they are a good deal . Just wouldnt shoot +P ammo in them .

MICHAEL T
December 28, 2008, 01:48 AM
Love to hear all the happy Bersa owners. Would love you all to join http://bersatalk.com
I give away hats mags holsters and at time wood grips for the Thunder . We have a custom holster maker excellent work as a member also a wood grip maker and of course a warrenty Gunsmith on board.
10% discount to members on any item at http://condorsflight.com He has all sorts of Bersa items and factory mags . Were worth the couple min to join . Almost to 5000 members and looking for more.
Come join us.

rondog
December 28, 2008, 02:03 AM
MICHAEL T - Is there any way you can reformat that site to the vBulletin style, like here? I like the place, but it's harder (to me) to navigate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Experience with BERSA ?..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!