I don't want to sound the panic button but I'd go ahead and buy an EBR soon

PDA

threefeathers
October 5, 2008, 11:14 AM
I'd at least put a down payment on one this month. They'll be avalibla for a few months if Al-Bama get elected but the prices will begin to hit the roof after November.

I have mine, so I'm going to get an AK locally and a Third Gen Smith from CDNN this month.

If you enjoyed reading about "I don't want to sound the panic button but I'd go ahead and buy an EBR soon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JImbothefiveth
October 5, 2008, 11:24 AM
You got at least 3 months before he actually gets to office. My main concern is getting my first handgun, and maybe some slugs.(Slugs can pierce a level 2 vest, so he wants to ban those.:mad:)
And let's not turn this political! This is a good thread.

younganddumb
October 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
what was the point in posting that threefeathers????? we have went over this in numerous threads already!!!

2TransAms
October 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
Banning guns is not on the Dems short list of Things To Do anymore.

Still,wouldn't hurt to pick one up just in case. The only way I can see gun sales being halted is trumped-up allegations of civil unrest due to the economy and a declaration of martial law.

Timradcliffe345
October 5, 2008, 11:54 AM
There wont be a ban anytime soon. You all need to relax.

armoredman
October 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
If we keep the current Congress, chances of a ban are much less than with the Clinton demo congress, as many conservative Demoswere elected to gain control. Not one pro gun bill will make it anywhere, but really bad ones probably won't either.
That's IF we keep the current balance.
Edit to add, I have no EBRs, just little fuzzy bunnies I hug...

Javelin
October 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
You got at least 3 months before he actually gets to office. My main concern is getting my first handgun, and maybe some slugs.(Slugs can pierce a level 2 vest, so he wants to ban those.)
And let's not turn this political! This is a good thread.

Any hunting rifle pierces level 2 and 2A armor... Heck a .300 win mag will defeat level 3 & 3A armor.

See my Sig line below and watch that video.

Be safe.

:)

shotgun12321
October 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
May I ask what a EBR is?

Deer Hunter
October 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
It's this kind of attitude that will get bans put into place.

Ever thought about using the time you spent posting up this warning for, say, a letter to a congressman?

Get your voice to those who need to hear it.

Javelin
October 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
An EBR is almost $3400 from Fulton-armory?????

LOL @ that. I can build a better rifle from Noveske with suppressor for less than that.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Gottahaveone
October 5, 2008, 12:58 PM
May I ask what a EBR is?

Evil Black Rifle

shotgun12321
October 5, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evil Black Rifle

Sorry im such a nub, but what is that? Just like an assault rifle?

Z-Michigan
October 5, 2008, 01:14 PM
If we keep the current Congress, chances of a ban are much less than with the Clinton demo congress, as many conservative Demoswere elected to gain control. Not one pro gun bill will make it anywhere, but really bad ones probably won't either.
That's IF we keep the current balance.
Edit to add, I have no EBRs, just little fuzzy bunnies I hug...

+10

Proposed bans will be introduced, and wither. As has been happening for the last 7.5 years under GW. Incidentally, GW said multiple times he would sign a reenacted AWB if one were to be sent to him. I don't know how serious he was, but he said that.

Control of Congress is far more important to gun laws than which candidate is elected president. Congress writes and passes or votes down legislation. The president only signs or vetoes.

OTOH, there may be other good reasons for buying the firearms you like right now, such as high and increasing inflation, or the possibility that there will be fewer or no imports due to non-US legal changes and treaties.

Oh, and fuzzy bunnies are definitely the way to go. I will call them "CFBs" (cute fuzzy bunnies). They store well in a cage, safe, or freezer. :)

RP88
October 5, 2008, 01:24 PM
There won't be a ban because we won't let it. How does that sound?

basically is applies to any 'scary-looking' gun that would be restricted or banned by the current trend of assault weapons definitions. Some features include: semi-auto, detachable mag, hold more than ten rounds, flash hider or supressor, carbine-like barrels, pistol grip profile, the ability to eat children (have yet to find a gun that does this but I'd buy one if someone makes it - too many annoying kids on my block), and a general military-like appearance.

So guns like AKM, AR, most pistols made after 1911, FAL/G3/CETME rifles, and others would be your EBRs. Shotguns that hold more than five rounds would also be considered EBRs due to the assault weapon section for shotguns, so most Mossbergs and Remingtons, and things like Saiga-12s would be banned. Alot of the aforementioned would also be banned BY NAME, instead of just by cosmetic features. the EBR term is a cynical coin and spin-around on anti-gunners' beliefs that such weapons cause all/most of the crime in the US, despite statistics showing otherwise (top five guns used in crime arent assault weapons if I recall correctly).

PTK
October 5, 2008, 01:27 PM
Any hunting rifle pierces level 2 and 2A armor... Heck a .300 win mag will defeat level 3 & 3A armor.

I think you mean IIa, II, and IIIa are able to be defeated with near ANY rifle (that's including .22lr supersonic, folks) and hard armor has problems with anything heavy (i.e. 338 LM, 300 WinMag, anything bigger) that isn't a soft pointed bullet. Most armor provides protection only against pistol bullets. :)

October 5, 2008, 01:32 PM
Prepared, yes. Panic? No.

shotgun12321
October 5, 2008, 01:35 PM
RP88 thank you for that :)

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 01:41 PM

Still,wouldn't hurt to pick one up just in case. The only way I can see gun sales being halted is trumped-up allegations of civil unrest due to the economy and a declaration of martial law.

Dream on. The dems will ban firearms and or ammunition at the first chance they get. They have to. Not only do the leadership of that party but most of the rank and file want limits to firearms ownership. It's an elitist thing. Things are what they are. :scrutiny:

esmith
October 5, 2008, 01:41 PM

Okay so because there are bigger fish to fry means there is no possible way there could be stricter gun laws enacted? Im getting sick of people saying stuff like, "It could never happen." Im sure there were tons of people who thought it couldn't happen in '94. There doesn't need to be a ban on guns to make them hard to get. All that needs to happen is a tax raise of mass proportions of say, %500, on ammunition and firearms, which Obama has supported.

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'd like to say to all of you who feel the democrats won't ban, suppress, firearms ownership are just kidding yourselves. Most democratic supporters are still urban. Urban denizens are still wary of anyone owning firearms and tend to think hunting is barbaric. Pro-gun democratic representatives are still democrats that are expected to toe the party line when called upon to do so. Don't expect tigers to change their stripes just because you want them to. :cool:

dscottw88
October 5, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evil Black Rifle is just a term used for anything and all things AR. But you wouldn't be incorrect to assume that an EBR could include other rifles that most dems see as an "Assault Rifle" like an AK, or any other auto loader that could have been used in a conflict like the two mentioned before.

Timradcliffe345
October 5, 2008, 01:56 PM
Instead of arguing over this, get out there and convert some antis and write to your congress(wo)man. Geez.

mickmten
October 5, 2008, 01:58 PM
I think there's a bit of an attitude out there that dems will ban all rifles and handguns - or at least make the attempt. Think about that - what exactly has happened in the last few years that would enable Congress and the Administration to actually allow that? We've had some pretty grim shootings in the last few years and there's been no sea-change in public attitude toward banning weapons. If anything, take a look at the Supreme Court decision a few months back concerning loosening the gun laws in D.C. - you can make an argument that gun laws will start to loosen up a bit.

Now think about this - who benefits from such a panic? Well it appears to me that we're seeing prices rise for hardware and also ammo. Maybe stoking the fire a little bit, doncha think? I recommend a calm approach to all of this, chill.

rbernie
October 5, 2008, 02:13 PM
Instead of arguing over this, get out there and convert some antis and write to your congress(wo)man. Geez.This is always job one, to paraphrase the old Ford commercials. Taking non-shooters to the range and demystifying our hobby is The Prime Directive.

But laying in a stock of things likely to be targeted by irrational bans is not a bad idea, either.

Javelin
October 5, 2008, 02:21 PM
Quote:
May I ask what a EBR is?

Evil Black Rifle

I did not read the OP's EBR as Evil Black Rifle but....

EBR =
The new M14 "Enhanced Battle Rifle."

Is this not what we are talking about?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/CSA-2006-10-17-093634.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flcairsoft.com/forum/index.php%3Fpage%3D44&h=2228&w=2796&sz=1238&hl=en&start=24&um=1&usg=__s8TXQBcz1fc8qbGBbmSQEGZTbHA=&tbnid=4oAvwQ-InVtekM:&tbnh=120&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Denhanced%2Bbattle%2Brifle%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Anyway I will say it again.. It seems a bit expensive at almost $3400. But it is pretty neat and the Army has been using them in Iraq (the old versions from what personally saw). I can think of 3 other rifles that would be more useful for less IMO.

Matt-J2
October 5, 2008, 02:21 PM
It should be added to this: "If you actually want one." I'm not sure if I really even want one. Sometimes I do, sometimes there's other things I want more. I think it's a bit silly to up and buy something you don't even want just because someone might say you can't. Fight for the right to do so, yes, certainly.

Also, I'm betting gun ban legislation gets proposed and passes based on the simple fact that we as a community can't even seem to spell proper names correctly.

jdc1244
October 5, 2008, 02:34 PM
the ability to eat children

That gets a :D

To pinpoint this November or the end of the year as some type of actual deadline is frankly silly. I would say worse-case the end of 2009.

The failing economy is a double-edged sword: it will more than likely send a lot of Democrats to Congress but occupy them as noted to place bans low on the list.

I wouldn’t break the bank or go deep into debt to get your rifle by November – if you get a tax refund and file timely, for example, you’ll have time to use the refund to buy or put money toward getting something on a possible ban list.

October 5, 2008, 02:52 PM
nevermind.

2TransAms
October 5, 2008, 03:18 PM

Okay so because there are bigger fish to fry means there is no possible way there could be stricter gun laws enacted? Im getting sick of people saying stuff like, "It could never happen." Im sure there were tons of people who thought it couldn't happen in '94. There doesn't need to be a ban on guns to make them hard to get. All that needs to happen is a tax raise of mass proportions of say, %500, on ammunition and firearms, which Obama has supported.

I never said it wouldn't or couldn't happen. You go it right on when you said there are bigger fish to fry. Now if things slow down they might try to slip one by us,or if a great public incident such as an assassination happens,they might use that as the catalyst to push one through.

It's still on the elitist agenda,but they are not chomping at the bit to get it done...at least not the politically savvy. They have to make sure they can get away with it and still get voted back in.

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 03:19 PM
Proposed bans will be introduced, and wither. As has been happening for the last 7.5 years under GW. Incidentally, GW said multiple times he would sign a reenacted AWB if one were to be sent to him. I don't know how serious he was, but he said that.

Only he didn't.

Control of Congress is far more important to gun laws than which candidate is elected president. Congress writes and passes or votes down legislation. The president only signs or vetoes.

Only we have a democratically controlled congress....and the only time we ever had any gun bans we had a democratically controlled congress.

OTOH, there may be other good reasons for buying the firearms you like right now, such as high and increasing inflation, or the possibility that there will be fewer or no imports due to non-US legal changes and treaties.

....and we have a democratically controlled congress and soon a democratic president for boot. :cool:

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 03:23 PM
I never said it wouldn't or couldn't happen. You go it right on when you said there are bigger fish to fry. Now if things slow down they might try to slip one by us,or if a great public incident such as an assassination happens,they might use that as the catalyst to push one through.

Whatayou mean might???? :confused:

It's still on the elitist agenda,but they are not chomping at the bit to get it done...at least not the politically savvy. They have to make sure they can get away with it and still get voted back in.

They're gettin' voted in now aren't they? :cool:

RP88
October 5, 2008, 03:52 PM
alot will be reluctant to vote an AWB because even though they would like to help the party, they still want to serve themselves and keep office. If the voters for it lose office but are replaced by more dems, then the dems as a whole win, but the guys who got kicked don't win. Keep in mind that alot of dems now are from pro-gun states.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all of the last gun control laws came when there really wasnt much going on for pro-gun rights. that has changed, mainly in the last ten years. Has it changed enough to stem away an AWB from succeeding? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see...

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 04:08 PM
alot will be reluctant to vote an AWB because even though they would like to help the party, they still want to serve themselves and keep office. If the voters for it lose office but are replaced by more dems, then the dems as a whole win, but the guys who got kicked don't win. Keep in mind that alot of dems now are from pro-gun states.

Like those that believe the unborn have a right to life that would make them a minority in the democratic party.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all of the last gun control laws came when there really wasnt much going on for pro-gun rights. that has changed, mainly in the last ten years. Has it changed enough to stem away an AWB from succeeding? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see...

Those of us over ten years old have already seen. :cool:

Zundfolge
October 5, 2008, 04:53 PM
Gun bans aren't going to be the problem (at least not at first)

But that's still no reason NOT to buy an EBR now because I guarantee prices will go up a LOT if Obama wins. If McCain wins they'll go up a little just 'cause everything is going up.

Just don't buy stock in any talk radio stations ... the first order of business for Obama will be a new (and probably tougher) "Fairness" doctrine. Probably one that includes the internet to some degree.

H2O MAN
October 5, 2008, 04:56 PM
I don't want to sound the panic button but I'd go ahead and buy an EBR soon:evil:EBR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Mark_14_Mod_0_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle):evil:

wally
October 5, 2008, 05:19 PM

Boy the amount of wishful thinking amazes me! Have you not read the Democratic platform that came out of the convention? Gun control is prominently mentioned!

--wally.

MyRoad
October 5, 2008, 05:51 PM
They won't need to create one document that is the AWB, that would give us something to fight directly against. They will simply take there overall plan apart, piece by piece, and slip a slice into each of a sequence of bills being passed.

Once they attach "homeland security" or "anti-terrorism" verbiage to the idea, it almost always goes through, regardless of whether or not it makes any sense.

One month, along with more money for schools and building bridges, will be a line about a 75% tax on ammo, "to help fund health costs of victims of gun violence" (like the cigarette tax). Another bill going through on securing our borders and ports will stop all importation of semi-auto rifles and handguns, "to cut off the illegal trafficking of guns to gang members and terrorists"... etc., etc., etc.

They won't need to make one grand stand that makes all guns illegal, they'll just choke off the industry a little at a time. Eventually, they may get around to just making them all illegal. And it will all be presented as making our country safer, just like the Patriot Act.

mgregg85
October 5, 2008, 06:26 PM

I disagree, I think getting the AWB back is one their shortlist. They put it in their platform, check page 48...
https://www.democrats.org/a/party/platform.html

I'm sure they have plenty of other evil ideas too, like the no guns for anyone the AG shows 'an interest' in.

LKB3rd
October 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Evil Black Rifle
Those are the ones that the anti's always want to ban. Basically any semi auto weapon that looks scary, has military features, and is effective for self defense...not to say other rifles aren't good for self defense.

lionking
October 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
"prices will go up alot if Obama wins"

sounds like a dealers wet dream.How many of you are FFL dealers?How many of you that are FFL plan to jack up prices because of a Obama win?

2TransAms
October 5, 2008, 06:39 PM
Boy the amount of wishful thinking amazes me! Have you not read the Democratic platform that came out of the convention? Gun control is prominently mentioned!Prominently? Like,let's do it now? That is news to me,and I followed both conventions.

Certainly,the "gunshow loophole" and "common sense laws" are mentioned (along with the acknowledgment "...what works in Chicago might not work in Cheyenne" :rolleyes: ) but the pdf is 58 pages long. They've got a lot to do if they want to get all that done. Furthermore,I believe that most politicians of either party do not care about gun control either way,but it's a stubborn few who made it their own agenda and keep pushing it,while the rest follow the party. Get those few to shut up and the rest won't bring it up. Not that it'll happen,but that's the way it is.

DAdams
October 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
I would be more concerned about the ability to get ammunition to feed my EBR after I bought it.

Or about any handgun or rifle for that matter. I hear that due to our western heritage the only ammunition that will be available after innauguration day is
30-30 for the 1894. :neener:

H2O MAN
October 5, 2008, 07:00 PM
DAdams I would be more concerned about the ability to get ammunition to feed my EBR after I bought it.

+1

A fancy EBR without ammo is like a Ferrari without gas.

elmerfudd
October 6, 2008, 05:36 AM
Once they attach "homeland security" or "anti-terrorism" verbiage to the idea, it almost always goes through, regardless of whether or not it makes any sense.

One month, along with more money for schools and building bridges, will be a line about a 75% tax on ammo, "to help fund health costs of victims of gun violence" (like the cigarette tax). Another bill going through on securing our borders and ports will stop all importation of semi-auto rifles and handguns, "to cut off the illegal trafficking of guns to gang members and terrorists"... etc., etc., etc.

+1. They don't have to ban EBR's. They can raise taxes, prohibit lead ammo to save the environment, prohibit steel ammo because it's only use is to kill cops, hold up gun and ammo imports through executive order and bureaucracy, close off land to shooting and generally just make shooting difficult and expensive.

X-Rap
October 6, 2008, 12:02 PM
For those who don't fear any new legislation from DC, they had better think about those folks in the black robes.
The next pres. might pick 3 or more supreme judges plus untold lesser federal judges.
Legislation from the bench has become the way to make and interprate everything from enviromentalism to family planning so don't think guns will be immune.
The judicial legacy of a president can last for many years after his term is up.

As for EBR's I want a big EBR now.

If you enjoyed reading about "I don't want to sound the panic button but I'd go ahead and buy an EBR soon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!