HRA Garand with new stock marked CMP

PDA

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 12:55 PM
I wandered into a small gunshop two days ago and found a H&R garand with a new stock, looked like birch stained dark, marked with CMP on the pistol grip butt. The bore looked new. Just what was I looking at? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "HRA Garand with new stock marked CMP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MutinousDoug
October 5, 2008, 01:17 PM
CMP is selling newly made replacement stocks for Garands stamped with a CMP logo (although, on the left side of the stock below the receiver heel IIRC). Quality of the CMP stocks's inletting is iffy according to 2 guys I shoot with who have returned the stocks they have recieved from CMP.

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I've priced some boyd's stocks they seem fairly priced for what they are. Have you heard anything about the quality of them? Can I assume I'll have to inlet just about any garand stock I buy?

longdayjake
October 5, 2008, 01:37 PM
as i understand it a boyd's stock is a cmp stock. They just have Boyd's put the cmp stamp on it. I could be wrong though.

1KPerDay
October 5, 2008, 02:07 PM
My Service Grade HRA came from the CMP with the new boyd's/CMP birch (I think) stock... it fits fine. I had to send the rifle back to them to fix a doubling problem but they fixed it and it runs perfectly now.

I also have a CMP "special" that came with a new CMP Walnut stock with the cmp cartouche on the left and no circular CMP on the grip. It fits fine and works perfectly.

The special is on the top and the service grade is the next one down.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/M1RifleFamilypic.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/e85d0eb8.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/966f6e9d.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/CMPRifles002.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/75de6b6e.jpg

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 03:42 PM
The garand I saw looked a whole lot like your second from the top model. I didn't have a bore light but the bore looked "real" good. Tell me, how does your cmp second from the top garand group?

MutinousDoug
October 5, 2008, 04:09 PM
Dutchman01:
Thanks. I've priced some boyd's stocks they seem fairly priced for what they are. Have you heard anything about the quality of them? Can I assume I'll have to inlet just about any garand stock I buy?

I don't care for the looks of the Boyd stocks (they seem to be missing a little bit off the bottom of the pistol grip) but most I've seen seem to make good shooters. You actually WANT to do a little inletting on a new stock so that your receiver doesn't rattle around in the stock as it comes from the factory. Look at the locking lugs on your trigger guard 1st though, oftentimes replacing the guard with one that has "like new" locking lugs (or pins) will transform a loose fit to a tight one. Forward/rearward play between the receiver and stock is death on accuracy (as is side-to-side play).
I went with a Wenig stock and spent about 45-60 minutes (would have taken me 15 minutes had I known what I was doing and wasn't afraid to make a mistake) with a 1/4" chisel trying and fitting until I got a really nice fit. DGR may be able to fit one of these stocks to your receiver or send you one he has fitted to a GI receiver group if you wish. Last I looked though, I think his website mentioned some interruption in supply.
Doug

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 04:16 PM
I don't care for the looks of the Boyd stocks (they seem to be missing a little bit off the bottom of the pistol grip) but most I've seen seem to make good shooters. You actually WANT to do a little inletting on a new stock so that your receiver doesn't rattle around in the stock as it comes from the factory. Look at the locking lugs on your trigger guard 1st though, oftentimes replacing the guard with one that has "like new" locking lugs (or pins) will transform a loose fit to a tight one. Forward/rearward play between the receiver and stock is death on accuracy (as is side-to-side play).
I went with a Wenig stock and spent about 45-60 minutes (would have taken me 15 minutes had I known what I was doing and wasn't afraid to make a mistake) with a 1/4" chisel trying and fitting until I got a really nice fit. DGR may be able to fit one of these stocks to your receiver or send you one he has fitted to a GI receiver group if you wish. Last I looked though, I think his website mentioned some interruption in supply.
Doug

Whoaa...I appreciate the reply and the information. I may have the opportunity to use it tho I haven't, as yet purchased the garand. I might not either as I would have to part with a minty little arsenal ak folder I have. As much as I would like a garand I haven't decided to do so at this time.

However, with the impending "appointment" of obama as prez I am thinking of simplifying my supply and selling off the ak and purchase a garand just because I already have another 06 carbine laying around. But this garand project is starting to look just like that, a project. I'm not sure I really want to go there. I mean even with a very good to excellent barrel I could only expect something like 3moa out of such a garand, right?

MutinousDoug
October 5, 2008, 04:59 PM
My gun for shooting the JCG "As Issued" matches, will shoot 3 MOA using HXP or GI surplus. A bit better with match bullets and handloads. When my other Garand was newly glass bedded and front end unitized, it would shoot 4.5" at 200 yds with handloads, a little over 2 MOA; and that's with a 1945 mfg GI barrel. That was thousands of rounds ago and it shoots more like 3 MOA today.
A modern barrel in a well set-up Garand can approach 1 MOA for awhile. You'll need to keep your 'smith close (and credit card handy) to keep it shooting optimally.
As to your comment about having another '06 carbine nearby, don't expect to use any one load in both guns; the gas system in the Garand was designed in 1935 or so and really can't utilize more modern (read: efficient) powders:banghead:. Anything you shoot in the Garand you can probably shoot in your other '06 but the converse is not necessarily true. It will save you on dies I guess, so you have that going for it.

Doug

Dutchman01
October 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
My gun for shooting the JCG "As Issued" matches, will shoot 3 MOA using HXP or GI surplus. A bit better with match bullets and handloads. When my other Garand was newly glass bedded and front end unitized, it would shoot 4.5" at 200 yds with handloads, a little over 2 MOA; and that's with a 1945 mfg GI barrel. That was thousands of rounds ago and it shoots more like 3 MOA today.
A modern barrel in a well set-up Garand can approach 1 MOA for awhile. You'll need to keep your 'smith close (and credit card handy) to keep it shooting optimally.
As to your comment about having another '06 carbine nearby, don't expect to use any one load in both guns; the gas system in the Garand was designed in 1935 or so and really can't utilize more modern (read: efficient) powders. Anything you shoot in the Garand you can probably shoot in your other '06 but the converse is not necessarily true. It will save you on dies I guess, so you have that going for it.
Doug

All very valid points. I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

1KPerDay
October 6, 2008, 01:37 AM
Tell me, how does your cmp second from the top garand group?
Not particularly well with me behind it... but I haven't shot it from the bench, just from that lovely shooting rest/carseat you see there. :rolleyes:

Disregard the red circled holes in this pic
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/5962db20.jpg

This one looks great if you disregard the fliers ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/5957b957.jpg

Seemed to like WCC the best; my other garands like HXP best.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/50da2252.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "HRA Garand with new stock marked CMP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!