Sea ticks

PDA

abrink
October 5, 2008, 02:26 PM
I put this post in this section because i figure most people that know anything about sea ticks would be outdoorsman. As far as i know they're only in NC. Anyone ever had them before? I just got them really bad and I'm not sure what i should do. They're really itchy and i don't know how to tell if they're infected. Any first aid tips? I got at least 50 bites scattered throughout my legs.

Thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sea ticks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XavierBreath
October 5, 2008, 02:31 PM
Seed ticks. Very small critters. They burrow underneath the epidermis.

A good soak in a bath of 10-30% bleach will kill them and send them floating to the top. It's a trick I learned from a black lady who cane pole fished from the bank all through tick season.

abrink
October 5, 2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.blurtit.com/q236983.html

No they're actually called sea ticks. Take a look at the link above.

XavierBreath
October 5, 2008, 02:56 PM
Sounds exactly like what we call seed ticks. They actually have a "season" from July to October around here. Very small, reddish critters.

May be a bit different, but I bet they will succumb to the bleach bath too.

abrink
October 5, 2008, 03:00 PM
Maybe they're just called different things. As far as i can tell they haven't gone under my skin but just bit me. I was able to pull most of them off...of course after about 3 hours of them being on me. I might try the bleach if the itching persists. Thanks.

koja48
October 5, 2008, 03:07 PM
Sounds like what we always called "seed ticks" . . . the immature stage of deer/dog/wood ticks . . . very tiny. Make sure you got the heads out . . . fine tweezers work best for this.

rcmodel
October 5, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm still betting on "Seed Ticks", although your symptoms sounds more like "Chiggers" to me.

If they are attached to the skin, and you don't even know they are there, they are Seed ticks.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/23772/bgimage

If they just leave a red itchy welt that feels like it's on fire, they are Chiggers.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html

The best tick defense is a very good offense.

Use DEET or other very good bug repellent all over, every time you get close to tick or chigger habitat.

Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Fever, and infections after they clamp hold of you are best avoided at all costs.

For Chiggers, a cotton ball soaked with alcohol works about as good as anything else I have found.

rcmodel

B.D. Turner
October 5, 2008, 03:45 PM
I believe he is talking about what we in NC call red bugs. Fort Bragg is full of those critters. Seed ticks are not the same. Red bugs will get into your groin area itch and burn. One old home remedy is to put used meat grease on the effected areas. The best way to avoid redbugs is not to sit on pinestraw.

rcmodel
October 5, 2008, 03:58 PM
+1

Red Bugs & Chiggers are one & the same.

You ain't lived until about 300 of them take up residence under your socks & underwear elastic, inside your belly-button, and all over your family jewels! :eek:

EEEeeeeyoWWWWWW!

BTW: A Baking soda bath also helps hold down the itching.

rcmodel

Claude Clay
October 5, 2008, 04:10 PM
it is what you say it is and it sounds like florida sea lice also. the victim.....errrr, the afflicted person is usually roasted at sunset on the beach for 30 minutes or until crispy on the outside.:uhoh:
antihistamines (for the itching), prednisone (for the inflammation), aloe with vitamin E (to sooth the damaged skin) and time heals all wounds
bleach is a good idea (really harsh on the skin though) as is washing everything you wore or touched before treatment in very hot water.

koja48
October 5, 2008, 04:15 PM
"Tiny Livestock" in whatever form can be most distressing . . .

Griz44
October 5, 2008, 04:54 PM
Sure sounds like chiggers to me! Dap a touch of clear fingernail polish over the welp. Whether its a tick or a chigger, that will take make them dead. The chigger will simply dissolve, you can't get them out, if it's a tiny tick, it will come off with the polish when you peal it.

I hate those little b&%#*%@s. Seems I get into them every hunting season though, just does not get cold enough here.

Loomis
October 5, 2008, 05:08 PM
I havn't had chiggers since I was a little kid. iirc, you get them from sitting on the ground. They crawl into your pants and prefer the tight places, like the elastic band around your underwear.

I remember the clear fingernail polish trick very well. Also, something about meat or meat tenderizer. And baking soda baths.

HRT
October 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
Growing up we used to make a strong pinesol bath solution and sit in it for about half an hour. Make sure thea tyou keep it out of your eyes.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 5, 2008, 06:56 PM
Sounds like chiggers to me. They can be *really* bad and make you miserable, miss work, etc. baking soda bath, oatmeal bath, in addition to killing them off and antihistamines will help.

abrink
October 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
They may be chiggers but i don't recall them being red and not all of them went under my skin because i pulled some of them off. They were fairly easy to pull off and were "squished" to death fairly easily.

Thanks guys...I'm not going to use clear nail polish because I'm not sure there are any under my skin. I will try the alcohol though. If that doesn't work I'll try baking soda.

koja48
October 5, 2008, 10:24 PM
Sounds like chiggers . . . never experienced those, but ticks are hard to "squish" . . . need to squeeze the buggers between 2 thumbnails/fingernails . . . not a darn thing soft about them & they DO grab hold when they burrow-in.

salthouse
October 5, 2008, 10:43 PM
You might try ammonia. Most bites that cause itching are due to an acid secreted by the offending bug. Ammonia is a base that neutralizes the acid. Its ok on the extremities, I don't know about using it on the more sensitive areas.

ZeSpectre
October 5, 2008, 10:54 PM
If it's Chiggers (http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html), do a wash of the affected area with RID shampoo (http://www.ridlice.com/products.html) (following instructions).

Yeah I know it's supposed to be for headlice but it works AMAZINGLY WELL. Best thing I've personally found in 35+ years of tromping around in the woods!

Floppy_D
October 5, 2008, 10:57 PM
They regularly take up residence on my beanbag during turkey season. Pinesol works, as does bleach, if you don't want to individually nail polish them. What a plague. I'd love to shake the hand of the guy that invents the nuke for them.

Javelin
October 5, 2008, 11:05 PM
Chiggers come off with clear finger nail polish. Just put a dab on the bump of your skin they are living under and they come out because they need air.

:)

Jason_G
October 5, 2008, 11:34 PM
Chiggers come off with clear finger nail polish. Just put a dab on the bump of your skin they are living under and they come out because they need air.
They don't come out, they suffocate.

Jason

Art Eatman
October 6, 2008, 12:44 AM
Chiggers and redbugs burrow in. "Sea" or seed ticks stay on the outside of the skin. On the latter, I wiped my legs with a kerosene-soaked rag before thaking a bath.

Chiggers? Don't sit in Bermuda grass, in Texas. There is--or used to be--some stuff called "Chiggerid" in the drugstores which both suffocated the little pests and stopped the itching.

I remember one year at the Luckenbach World Fair when a couple of young enthusiasts "hid out" behind a building to enjoy some horizontal recreation. Right in some of the prettiest, tall Bermuda grass you ever did see. I often wondered how much they enjoyed the next few days' worth of Severe Itch.

Powdered sulfur in your socks/boot tops/pants cuffs helps keep your legs from infestations of hungry little critters...

MCgunner
October 6, 2008, 12:47 AM
I've lived with chiggers for years, just scratch. ROFL! They do go away, eventually.

rcmodel
October 6, 2008, 06:32 PM
Chiggers do not burrow into the skin, live under the skin, or suck blood.

What they do is pierce the skin and inject powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are then ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up).

You can't sufficate them with nail polish, because they are not in there to start with!

BTW: A pint of 100 proof grain alcohol was my old hunting pardners favorite cure.
He said rubbing it on didn't kill the Chiggers, but he didn't notice the itch so much after he drank the rest of the bottle.

rcmodel

BruceRDucer
October 9, 2008, 04:44 PM
Just when I thought it was safe to go out.

:what::what::what::what:

Now the Sea Ticks are gonna get me. Sheesh!

Husker1911
October 9, 2008, 06:00 PM
Any suggestions for recommended caliber for sea ticks?

printcraft
October 9, 2008, 06:10 PM
You guys are making me itch all over.

NO ticks, lice or chiggers ..... but still, giving me the creeps. :uhoh:

Al Thompson
October 10, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hot bath, LOTs of bleach in the water - drink a couple of beers while soaking. Wait until the water is cold and shower off. Works for me - :)

Jason_G
October 13, 2008, 11:06 PM
Chiggers do not burrow into the skin, live under the skin, or suck blood.

What they do is pierce the skin and inject powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are then ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up).

You can't sufficate them with nail polish, because they are not in there to start with!

No, they don't burrow, but you can suffocate them, because they usually stay at that feeding spot for up to several days if you don't get rid of them somehow. Once they get a good "spot" going, they tend to stay there until they have completely engorged themselves, which can take anywhere from a few hours to several days.

Jason

Big Boomer
October 23, 2008, 12:06 AM
I found that witchhazel wactuall works pretty well for a bit. There is also some stuff called Chiggerex or something like that (white bottle red top) it's a cream that nixes the itch.

They are NASTY! They are just like a cross between a mosquito, spider, and fire ant bite all in one!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sea ticks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!