Ruger LCP

PDA

.380awsome
October 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
ruger lcp .380 auto,is it any good,anyone had much experience or know anything about these,whats your opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CPshooter
October 5, 2008, 10:39 PM
I have one and love it. It hasn't had a hiccup yet. Out of all the handguns I've owned, this one has the most bang for your buck IMO because you can always take it with you no matter what situation you are in. Well worth 300 dollars.

velvalco
October 5, 2008, 11:25 PM
i have 1 and my wife has 1. Neither of them have had any issues. Mine has almost 500 flawless rounds through it. my wife's has about 250.

mgregg85
October 5, 2008, 11:36 PM
Its a good little gun, pretty much a third generation of kel-tec's P3AT line.

I've even heard stories that the mags will interchange, but I haven't personally confirmed this.

bensdad
October 5, 2008, 11:42 PM
It's my church gun. Several hundred rounds. No problems.

The recoil can "flip" it out of position in your hand. Keep a firm hold.

marv
October 6, 2008, 12:04 AM
I have LCP and P3AT. Mags do Not interchange. Have not tried other parts....yet.-

19-3Ben
October 6, 2008, 12:28 AM
I LOVE my LCP. It shoots absolutely everything. It has not had one hiccup in about 400 rounds of all sorts of stuff from Speer Gold Dots to WWB, S&B, and even this strange Russian stuff in a green box with Cyrilic writing on it. A friend gave me two boxes. He was shooting his Kel-Tec P3AT at the range and he told me that his gun never makes it through a full mag with that ammo. He even showed me and sure enough, round three failed to feed. He gave me the box. I shot 50 rounds without a single failure of any kind. it even grouped well.

That gun is very reliable, and soooo much smoother than the Kel-tec. It's like a different class of gun, but for only $20 more. Mine also has an absolutely fantastic smooth trigger.

WVleo
October 6, 2008, 04:03 AM
Hi, Mine was test fired at the factory 9-4-08 and is back there being repaired after only 18 rounds ??? total trigger failure as after 18 rounds the trigger would not reset. Been gone 2 weeks now and will probally be gone another 2. Not really inspiring for a defensive purpose weapon only. I really should not have bought a first year gun. Yeah all the Ruger Cheerleaders will come out and tell how theres is this and theres is that. But total trigger failure after 18 rounds ( seemed I read about more than 1 like mine going back from the same production period ) isn't worth loosing My life over. Colt Det Spec. is back in My pocket. ...WVleo

October 6, 2008, 05:06 AM
There's been a few issues with the guns in early production. Mine has been flawless so far in about 250 rounds and I'm going to shoot it again tomorrow. I never trust a gun until it's had 500 trouble free rounds through it, I'd actually be happy if it broke at 18 rounds so I could feel good about working the bugs out of it. Ruger has its problems, but they will make it right if given the chance.

Tirod
October 6, 2008, 02:59 PM
I've been researching this for two months and waiting that long, too. I'm on two lists and had one sold out from under me because the counter clerk took my wife's word that "I don't need another gun." :mad: I guess they don't need another customer. either.

The initial Ruger problems seem to be resolved by changes in production, something Keltec recommends owners do themselves. Magazines are reported to both work and fit, or not work, depending. They are both Mecgard products. They are not identical.

Many of the Keltec holsters, etc., seem to be interchangeable. Crimson Trace lasers are different.

Production numbers are past 55,xxx already. Most magazine reports are all about how it's a great gun for sometime/someone who can't carry a "real" gun, in an effective caliber. And some writer recently put out that the .45 was designed to shoot horses, not as a people round. :scrutiny: It's always been a discussion.

It is what it is, a great pocket gun with a building reputation that will probably eclipse the original among the suburban market. Keltec hasn't reached them with it's current style, or lack of it.

polizei36
October 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
Nice looking handgun. Well rounded features and simply a copy of the Kel-Tec 380...JMO. Rented one to shoot and It shoots just like my Kel-Tec 380.

stew38
October 6, 2008, 03:59 PM
why is 380 ammo so much higher then 9mm

azlobo
October 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
I've been wondering that myself (price of 380 ammo). If I find it for the same price as 40 S&W ammo I count myself lucky.

R.W.Dale
October 6, 2008, 04:14 PM
why is 380 ammo so much higher then 9mm

volume

manufacturers sell and therefore make much more 9mm/40 ammo thus the price is lower.

The same reason a water pump for a small block chevy costs less than one for a toyota 4cyl

jocko
October 6, 2008, 04:16 PM
why would anyone want to try to exchange parts from a kt to a lcp or vice versa. If you have a kt, buy kt parts, and same for lcp. Just makes no sense to do this unless you again want to continue to hammer the Ruger company for taking the kt 380 and making theirs a better gun. Just seems the kt fanboi's just can't let it lie..

R.W.Dale
October 6, 2008, 04:30 PM
Ruger company for taking the kt 380 and making theirs a better gun.

again is a Chevy better than a GMC?

I just love the "it's better because it's now a RUGER" line. Myself, I'll wait till S&W makes one of these before I sell off my flawless P32

JImbothefiveth
October 6, 2008, 04:35 PM
and even this strange Russian stuff in a green box with Cyrilic writing on it.
That could be 9x18 makarov, and I suspect it is dangerous to shoot that out of an LCP.(Or any .380 gun.)

.380awsome
October 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
im not sure how well the ruger is ,but ive heard some horroble stories about the keltec ,just because it looks the same means nothing ,a bunch of gun manufacturers have made 1911's but no one ever complains about that,ruger is a good manufacturer and could and probably will improve the keltec pistol,which IMHO could be a better pistol ,just not in keltecs hands,and thats where ruger comes in!:D

R.W.Dale
October 6, 2008, 05:27 PM
im not sure how well the ruger is ,but ive heard some horroble stories about the keltec ,just because it looks the same means nothing ,

Have you ran a search for LCP on this forum?

On a handgun as small light and highly strung as a LCP/p3at they're not gonna be as out of the box reliable as a large frame autoloader. Everything has to be PERFECT for these tiny handguns to work be it ruger or keltec neither are gonna achieve 100% with a design such as this. I bought my P32 knowing this but in my case I lucked out and my example has ran 100% with over 400rds now with NO fluff n Buff

The most broken new handgun I've ever bought was a NEW ruger 30carbine blackhawk that the cylinder wouldn't lock AT ALL:eek:

.380awsome
October 6, 2008, 07:35 PM
indeed im planning on carrying it in a pocket,how well is it?

jferrell54
October 6, 2008, 08:50 PM
WVleo,mine did the same after 53 rounds. Here's what Ruger did to mine.It took 5 weeks to get it back. 1.)repaired barrel 2.) replaced hammer pivot pin 3.) replaced trigger bar and 4.) replaced trigger pivot. Have not had a chance to go back to the range as of yet. For now I'm still carrying my Kahr PM9 which has never had a problem.The LCP cost me $300.00 the PM9 $589.00

sadp40
October 6, 2008, 10:33 PM
make a 9x18mm barrel for one of these. i think a gold dot 9x18mm lcp would be the bee's knee's. or heck even a .32naa barrel, lets get these little guns the horsepower they really need.

jocko
October 7, 2008, 06:24 AM
innovative arms is making a 32naa barrel that drops right in the lcp's. I think his price is around $250.. 32naa nice round but IMO not worth the trade off for the 380. 380 bigger hole, far far more ammo selection and oh yes so much lower in price for ammo. 32naa a novelty round no less but stil lif you want a barrel this guy makes um...

HowardCohodas
October 7, 2008, 10:50 AM
Love my LCP. Have Crimson Trace Laser Guard on it. Have enough trouble free rounds through it that it is now my EDC BUG.

For fans of the LCP, come join us at http://LCPforum.com/

tyler500e
October 7, 2008, 01:20 PM
these things are near impossible to find. I'm on a waiting list for one right now..

Dgreno
October 7, 2008, 01:26 PM
these things are near impossible to find. I'm on a waiting list for one right now..
Yep. I am on 3 waiting lists and have been since early August!

HowardCohodas
October 7, 2008, 01:26 PM
Found mine at http://GunBroker.com/. If you look at the last 30 days closed sales you will find many transactions for less than $300.

Your patience will be rewarded.

Creature
October 7, 2008, 01:32 PM
The LCP's slide does not lock back after the last shot. Am I the only one who sees this as a huge problem?

Dgreno
October 7, 2008, 02:18 PM
Could be a problem for some. However, If you practice racking the slide after inserting a new mag, it will be easily learned and become less of a problem. You could also rack and lock the slide as you eject the empty magazine. Not as fast but will work.

jocko
October 7, 2008, 03:19 PM
most of all the pocket rockets don't lock open on the last round. Personally a feature for me that doesn't bother me one bit. Unless u are carrying that spare magazine which by and large most don't, it is just possably something that can cause an issue. I had a Para carry 9 that would lock open midway through the magazine, just because it felt like it. it is a nice feature if you have a range gun for range officer safety etc, but again most don't even consider the lcp a range gun. So to answer ur question. NO PROBLEM FOR ME AT ALL.

Bagger
October 7, 2008, 05:55 PM
I've had the LCP for about a month or so. I carry it every day. It's very light and easy in your hand .... pretty small, but that's it's design and intent.

The pop from the muzzle is pretty sharp and requires a steady grip. I like the .380 caliber, too.

Perhaps this will improve, but I can't hit a dang thing with this unit. I've only done 100 rds, tho. Maybe it's the vestigial sights, or the distance (7-10 yards), but I do not make nice groups with the LCP. And, with several 9 mm Rugers, a 92F, S/W in 40/45, Bersa 380 I'm pretty dead on at this distance. I think the LCP is a 'point and shoot' gun, but I still try to sight it in.

I'm going to continue to practice with the little gun, but certainly hope it will come into me a bit better soon. The Bersa 380 I used to carry gives me very tight groups at 7 yards. It must me something I'm doing. But, I found this a bit frustrating.

polizei36
October 9, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Bagger,

I recommend practicing dry fire sessions with it. I found that when I initially shot the LCP I was pulling the trigger to hard and jerking the sights and entire gun to the right in an attempt to shoot too fast from the start. So one day I slowed down, brought it up and aimed at the target. I noticed the sights were moving while I was aimed in. So I just practiced drawing, steadily aiming and dry firing the LCP at the target and over time my grip and sight alignments improved. Now I can comfortable shoot spot on at 7 yards with the LCP. Oh yeah I also painted a white dot on the front sight post to help with sight acquisition.

Dave

buzz_knox
October 9, 2008, 11:51 AM
I recommend practicing dry fire sessions with it.

Be sure and use snap caps and check the firing pin often. Ruger doesn't recommend dry firing this one a lot.

Bagger
October 9, 2008, 12:17 PM
Thanx, guys. Appreciate the recommendations of dry firing with snap caps.

I'll give it a try. I really like the size/weight of this little gun for daily carry and hope I can be more accurate with it.

polizei36
October 9, 2008, 01:02 PM
Plus 1 on that one Buzz_Knox. I should of mentioned that in my previous post. I do in fact use snap caps. Good luck Bagger.....Its a great gun as a primary or BUG and is sure does the trick!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!