henry lever 17hmr?

PDA

t george
October 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
does any one have any experiance? do you like it? how accurate is it? im just looking for opinions. i have been thinking about one for a long time and i think it might be time to move on one! what say ya'll

If you enjoyed reading about "henry lever 17hmr?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
t george
October 6, 2008, 10:09 AM
any body have one? any opinions? i know people like henry for the most part just dont know about the 17?:scrutiny:

ImARugerFan
October 6, 2008, 10:46 AM
My buddy has one, the golden boy model. It seems accurate, but we were just shooting at cans 30 yards away with open sights. Seems like a nice gun, I like the brass finish over the painted finish they put on the black ones.

electronrider
October 6, 2008, 11:04 AM
My brother-in-law has a Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR, and he loves it. The action on that thing is absolutely the smoothest lever action I have ever felt. Nice sights, and accurate too. Although .17 HMR isn't my cup of tea, that gun is an absolute joy to shoot.

If you like the cartridge, and your thinking of buying this gun, I would highly recommend it. You won't be dissapointed.

OAKVILLE SHOOTER
October 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
I picked up one for my 5 yo son last Christmas. He has shot it a lot more than I have, so I can't tell you much about accuracy. I can tell you that there have been zero reliability/function issues.

t george
October 6, 2008, 12:07 PM
i have always been a sucker for lever actions and the 17 hmr seems to have a cult folowing so i think the search will begin on thursday (payday) i would think this would be the perfect west texas critter gun with a little practice... donno about the wind though:scrutiny:

Shawnee
October 6, 2008, 12:09 PM
All of the Henry rimfires have a reputation for having very smooth actions and the five or six I've picked up have been as slick as ice.

Yes the .17hmr is (relatively) "new" and of course many bought it for that reason alone. Some people like the .17hmr, and many people like it for a while and then decide the .22 rimfire(s) are less trouble, more versatile, and just as much fun, if not more so. Do you have .17 caliber cleaning equipment already ? I have seen nearly-new, used .17hmr rifles for sale with the cleaning equipment thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Personally, I asked myself what I could do with the .17hmr that I couldn't do (and probably better) with a .22 rimfire. The only thing I could think of was that I couldn't run around telling everyone that I had one of "those new .17 calibers". To me, that wasn't enough to justify buying a caliber that isn't as good as the .22 rimfire. Other people feel differently though.

:cool:

t george
October 6, 2008, 12:53 PM
i do have the 17 cleaning equipment so that will not be a concern , but i still do need to see what i can do with the 17 that i cant do with say a 22 mag. what is the avg. coast diff between the 2 and wich would be better for shooting is windy conditions. i know that a knock on the 17 hmr is cost of ammo but dont know what 22 mag ammo costs

SGW42
October 6, 2008, 02:05 PM
.17 seems to be a little more expensive (or about even if you find a deal) than .22 mag, which is a tad more expensive than .22 LR, as far as I've seen.

All of them cheaper than centerfire.

If you enjoyed reading about "henry lever 17hmr?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!