Best red dot for under $100?

PDA

rtl
October 6, 2008, 10:59 AM
What would you recommend, tube or holographic, for a Beretta Storm? The ability to cowitness would be a plus, but probably not necessary.

Thanks for the input,
rt

If you enjoyed reading about "Best red dot for under $100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
benEzra
October 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
Durability probably isn't all that great, but you can get a 40mm Tasco Propoint at Wal-Mart for $40-ish, that has both red and green dots. I had the opportunity to handle one a while back and it was a neat unit.

ImARugerFan
October 6, 2008, 11:44 AM
I think the millet is the absolute best under $100. I think I paid $65 for mine recently.

bullockcm
October 6, 2008, 01:39 PM
I have to add another vote for the Millet 1" tube red dot, I own 2 and have been very happy with them.

ZeSpectre
October 6, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have two of the el-cheapo Tasco dots. Okay they are only on .22LR guns but they've held zero just great so far.

wally
October 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
I've had good luck with the CDNN cheap $20 red dots, although I've had to add a drop of LocTite to the battery compartment screws on most of them, after that they've held up well, I've a 30mm on a .308 and a 1" on a .44Mag revolver so they seem to hold up well after you fix the screws coming loose issue. Battery life could be better but they use the cheap computer coin cell lithium batteries (cheap if you buy them in 10-packs on-line)

Co-witness is very unlikey unless like the EOTech and the AR15 the sight was designed for the gun in question. Be happy if it mounts so you can use the irons through the red dot tube or window.

I recommend starting with a cheap red dot as they are different and not everyone will like them. You have to look through the dot and focus on the target, if you focus on the dot you will swear the sights "don't hold zero". Since you are probably used to focusing on the front sight or a scope reticle, it takes some getting used to when shooting a red dot the first few times. Also a lot of people end up not liking the accuracy for speed of acquisition trade-off inherent with red dots.

--wally.

R.W.Dale
October 6, 2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2008_002.htm

Check out ultra dot's products. They're the real deal that all the cheap chinese junk are copies of

I have the ultradot pan AV on a Saiga .410 and even on light backgrounds in direct sunlight it's bright and crisp even on the mid power settings

CRITGIT
October 6, 2008, 03:09 PM
Best red dot for under $100?
I thought you'd never ask!
Millet SP-1
You can spend more but it's priced right here!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/99_605/products_id/45158

CRITGIT

torpid
October 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
Millets haven't let me down. :)

rondog
October 6, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have a couple of BSA red-dots on my Hi-Point carbines. They seem to work just fine. Around $30 at Wally World. Lots of fun once they're dialed in.

NavajoNPaleFace
October 6, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have a Millet 5 MOA on my Ruger .40 carbine and it works very well (provided I remember to turn it off when I am done :evil: )

JImbothefiveth
October 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
Time to ask the requisite question : what are you going to use it for?

WNC Seabee
October 6, 2008, 04:37 PM
I've got a TruGlo red/green dot up for sale/trade here:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397170&highlight=truglo

I had this mounted to an M4 and it was very accurate out to 100M. And easily able to co-witness. Held zero well through many mountings/dismountings.

I'd be willing to take just about anything in trade or listen to offers!

Tim

texfed
October 6, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm with rondog....I've always had great luck with walmart sold BSA red dots...have two and narry a problem! Now both are on low recoil .22! At around $30 with a good return policy...I don't think you could go wrong!

briansmithwins
October 6, 2008, 05:14 PM
Armson OEG are right at $120. Most anything else in the sub $100 is going to cost you more as you buy a string of replacements for the ones that break, don't hold zero, short circuit or otherwise self destruct.

BSW

R.W.Dale
October 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
My problem with the cheapies is that even on the brightest setting the dot all but disappears when placed on a light color backdrop in direct sunlight

conw
October 6, 2008, 05:32 PM
BSA $30 has worked fine for about 15 months. On a hi-point 9mm carbine running all kinds of ammo.

edit: I would probably go with the Millett for $56. $15 more and it's supposedly shock-proof and totally waterproof? Heck yeah... I may get one and keep the BSA as a spare.

NonConformist
October 6, 2008, 05:38 PM
I bought a 30 buck BSA from Wally world and mounted it on my A2 when i was too poor to afford a 'real' one

Its still going strong w/ no loss of zero

NavyLCDR
October 6, 2008, 05:50 PM
I like the BSA holographics for the price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=bsa+holographic&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=0&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=0&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button

RockyMtnTactical
October 6, 2008, 10:09 PM
Save your money and buy something better.

offthepaper
October 6, 2008, 11:23 PM
Save your money and buy something better.

If $ are tight and expected to be that way for a while, buy what you can now afford.
But if you can afford to follow the above advise you'll be happier and more satisfied with your purchase and have a higher quality shootin' thang. :D

rtl
October 6, 2008, 11:49 PM
"what are you going to use it for?"

This carbine will used for: fun plinking, coyote control out to 75 yards and a go-to for exploring the premises in the event of noises after dark - in that order.

tomh1426
October 7, 2008, 12:04 AM
Bushnell Trophy, very bright and under $100.

cliffy
October 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
Bushnell Trophy at $78. When I'm not using open-sights on my Ruger Mark III Competition SST Model, I'll screw-on my Red Dot. Due to wearing tri-focal glasses, I do like the red-dot but it won't fit into my holster! So, for serious hunting back-up regarding snake protection, I holster-up with open-sights. I wish some company would make a serious red-dot holster for my purpose. cliffy

jon_in_wv
October 7, 2008, 12:17 AM
I have a Bushnell Trophy on my AK. It works great and had kept zero through over 300 rounds. It has four reticles and holds zero when switching between them. It was 95 bucks and I have not desire to spend 3-4 times more on a red dot. It works great.

rangerruck
October 7, 2008, 01:16 AM
believe it or not, the normal cheapies , all mentioned above, are all good. the bushy, the tasco, the truglo is very good, and the millet. from word of mouth, the truglo and the millet proly have the best reps here.

torpid
October 7, 2008, 01:53 AM
Yes, why go with a less expensive one that works just fine, when you can totally go without while you're waiting to save up for a high-quality expensive one that works just fine?

Hee... Millets are my friends! :D

railroader
October 7, 2008, 10:22 AM
I have 3 of the Millett SP-1s. They work well and the dot is a 3moa not 5moa like alot of the cheaper red dots. Milletts customer service is good too. I returned one of the red dots because the point of impact was wandering. They sent a new replacement out within two weeks. Mark

Legionnaire
October 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
Millett. The parallax on some of the other inexpensive red dot sights is simply horrific. The 3MOA SP1s are very good for the money.

kwelz
October 7, 2008, 01:11 PM
I picked up a knockoff Aimpoint for about 69 bucks a couple weeks ago. It is just about identical to the real thing except for the anti glare mesh being missing from the front.

flagg
October 7, 2008, 04:04 PM
I threw a Tasco ProPoint PDTS132 on mine and so far so good. You can cowitness with it too if you like, although I leave my sights flipped down out of the way. My 14 year old daughter loved it too, for whatever that is worth. :D Here's some pics.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/comicscans/guns/CX4-1.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/comicscans/guns/CX4-4.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/comicscans/guns/CX4-5.jpg

jon_in_wv
October 7, 2008, 07:49 PM
I will grant that some of the expensive red dots have unbelievable battery life and good clarity but for most people they are just as well served by the less expensive sights. My Bushnell on my AK is on a side rail. If it goes dead I can slide it off and I can still use the sights. No biggy. Its also very clear, the dot is supersharp, and it holds a zero. The money I would have spent on an Aimpoint could go to another weapon or the sights and refinishing on my Norinco 1911. I gave my Dad a BSA Red Dot from Walmart for his Ruger Mark 2. It works great for that job. I wouldn't put it on a serious weapon but he could shoot 100 squirrels with that cheap red dot and never know that its a cheapie. My wife is in the Army and had an Aimpoint on her M4. She actually prefers the Bushnell on my AK.

conw
October 23, 2008, 09:54 PM
I really wish that I could leave my BSA on all the time. That would be awesome. But worth another $5-600, no.

BigBuckMaster
October 24, 2008, 03:25 PM
im gonna agree with cliffy. go with Bushnell Trophy.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 24, 2008, 03:34 PM
The Armson OEG is awesome for a shotgun like a home defense shotgun where "close is good enough". But due to the "wandering zero" of the OEG, I wouldn't use it for anything requiring precision, like a rifle. I'd go with a cheapie holographic sight for a non-serious use, just more for aesthetics than anything - the cheap tube ones look cheesy.

I have no reason to doubt the claim that the Millett has less parallax error than the other cheapies - if that is true, then that's a good reason to go with them for a tube sight.

Leadhead
October 24, 2008, 05:22 PM
Ultra-dot's are good value and come with a lifetime warranty.
http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_003.htm

meef
October 24, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'm gonna get on board with the recommendations for the Bushnell Trophy.

Really nice piece of work for the price. Look one over.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best red dot for under $100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!