If I can only own one EBR before Osama...

PDA

Timradcliffe345
October 6, 2008, 07:02 PM
What EBR should I get if I have 1500 to spend on rifle and mags?

VOTE
McCain-Palin 2008

If you enjoyed reading about "If I can only own one EBR before Osama..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dksimon
October 6, 2008, 07:02 PM
AR-15 of whatever flavor you like and use the rest to pick up a nice stockpile of ammo and 10 or 15 mags.

Crunker1337
October 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nothing shouts "defiance" like a Kalashnikov, or, possibly, the Magpul Masada/Bushmaster ACR, if they get 'em out before they're banned.

Vaarok
October 6, 2008, 07:08 PM
Saiga-12.

H2O MAN
October 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
Colt LE 6933 :evil:

paintballdude902
October 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
masada or an ak

idk im getting a mini-14 in a few days that might get ban

hqmhqm
October 6, 2008, 07:17 PM
This is a very poor attitude, it is exactly what the anti-gun forces are hoping for, a "well I've got mine", by grandfathering in stuff that people own already. Divided we fall. I don't want to to try to hoard stuff before another ban, I want to fight that ban as strongly as possible.

spuscg
October 6, 2008, 07:23 PM
could i buy an ar 10 lower now with the sare money i do have and buy an upper after the ban if it happens so i can have a high cap rifle and enter service rifle competitions?

Gord
October 6, 2008, 07:34 PM
This is a very poor attitude, it is exactly what the anti-gun forces are hoping for, a "well I've got mine", by grandfathering in stuff that people own already. Divided we fall. I don't want to to try to hoard stuff before another ban, I want to fight that ban as strongly as possible.

Ever heard of a "Plan B"?

No one wants a ban to pass, but knowing that it's possible and perhaps likely, there's nothing "dividing" about stocking up in preparation.

barry960
October 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know what 'EBR' stands for, but wanted to comment while I'm hear before reading around first and putting it together. I can deduce it's a firearm that would be targeted for banning of course, and concur with the suggestion of an AR-15 of some configuration. If I had to be stripped down to one firearm, that would be the one I'd hold on to, and I hoarded up 9 30 rounders and one 20.
My goal, if the unthinkable happens and I have to hurry up and get it, would be a Thompson and definitely a 50 round drum for it.

H2O MAN
October 6, 2008, 07:54 PM
barry960 I don't know what 'EBR' stands for...:evil:EBR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Mark_14_Mod_0_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle):evil:

The term Enhanced Battle Rifle was coined by a United State Navy SEAL that was evaluating what would become the MK14 Mod 0 EBR.

The term "Evil Black Rifle" was adopted by AR enthusiasts later...

Timradcliffe345
October 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
H2O man, let me buy a M14 from you.

NonConformist
If you buy a Colt there wont be much left for mags and ammo

Buy a nice Armalite, or even a Bushmaster, or CMMG or even a STAG or DPMS and then buy a case of ammo and about 20 mags

Girodin
I don't want to to try to hoard stuff before another ban, I want to fight that ban as strongly as possible.

These two courses of action are not mutually exclusive. Just because one buys a weapon that one fears may be subject to a ban latter, that person is in no way precludes from fighting said ban with all their heart and sole.

Why people create this false dichotomy that it is one or the other is beyond me.

Dksimon
October 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
barry 960, where are you going to buy a thompson?

JImbothefiveth
October 6, 2008, 08:06 PM
don't know what 'EBR' stands for
Evil black rifle, the AR-15 is actually the classic EBR.

where are you going to buy a thompson?
I think Thompson is still in business, just selling semi-auto versions.(Not to be confused with Thompson-center, which makes primarily single-shots.)

And if you're worried about bans, something in .45 acp may be the way to go.
There was a bill to ban anything that could pierce a level II vest(30-30 was mentioned by name.):mad: So you might not be able to feed a .223, and you can't feed your Saiga 12 1 oz slugs, but buckshot should be okay.

younganddumb
October 6, 2008, 08:09 PM
they are out there you just need to look and have big pockets

JImbothefiveth
October 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1TH.html
Here's one maker. I think they also make a semi-auto BAR.

RP88
October 6, 2008, 08:19 PM
I hate these topics. Every time I hear of anything concerning an AWB, it makes me sick to my stomach. The only thing I can hope for (other than one not coming around) is that we actually do something about it. Last time it came around, it came around when people werent organized, and when gun rights in general were very bleak. I can only hope that our better standing allows us and motivates us to not just sit here and whine about it.

It also upsets me because it pains me to see how there is no logic behind the votes for it other than that it's on the agenda. It doesnt help that such an agenda has been winning over the decades, either. I wonder what gun rights we'll have left once the democrats get everything else they want (some of which I'm for, and most I'm against). And from there, the rant goes on, but I'll hold back.

Since I got an AR and AK, I'd definitely go with a converted Saiga-12. It would be worth quite a bit of money during such a ban, considering how much they're worth now...

spuscg
October 6, 2008, 08:29 PM
i cant afford an ebr now but i can get a lower is that a good idea

paintballdude902
October 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
There was a bill to ban anything that could pierce a level II vest(30-30 was mentioned by name
i love how they specify a catridge that is older than most people and predates kevlar, and is one of if not the most common hunting cartridge in america

thats it im making a .30-30 ebr that way they have a reason to ban it and it will be a true assault rife full auto

dmxx9900
October 6, 2008, 08:55 PM
They can threaten bans all they want if I really want something I can get it but I will vote and make sure bans and restrictions don't pass through.

db_tanker
October 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'd vote for the FAL/L1A1 variant...

second would be an HK/CETME of some flavor...

the third choice would be an AR-type rifle.

thunder173
October 6, 2008, 09:18 PM
The one I own,...another ton of ammo,...and a shovel.

subierex
October 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
I'm going AK. Seems appropriate to have a Com-block weapon considering who will likely be our Komrade president for the next four years.

Timradcliffe345
October 6, 2008, 11:26 PM
A converted Saiga and several cases of ammo and mags is all you really need to guard the castle.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 6, 2008, 11:40 PM
If you can hold off and buy the mags later, then you might be able to squeeze a Robinson XCR out of $1,500 - that's what I'd do.

Biggums
October 6, 2008, 11:43 PM
Just vote for the freedom side McCain!

Six Feet Under
October 7, 2008, 12:03 AM
I've got a CMMG lower and parts kit, T6 M4 stock, and I'm getting an RRA mid-length 16" A4 upper.

Should have about $900 in it once I put a rear sight on it. Buy a case of brass-cased ammo for anywhere from $330-430, and spend the rest on GI mags or P-mags, your choice.

RP88
October 7, 2008, 12:27 AM
Just vote for the freedom side McCain!

it's sad, because I feel that I'm voting for McCain because of only gun rights. Problem there is that he's not the best on gun rights either. Better than Obama? Sure. But, better than someone who would veto an AWB? Who knows. He said he thought the last one was a failure, but he still voted for it. Even though he realized the last one's failures, that does not mean that a better one would not be an open choice to him.

I'm wondering what is going to happen if an EBR case ever makes it to the court systems...

NWCP
October 7, 2008, 04:43 AM
I own a few civilian versions of military high capacity rifles and am in the process of buying another. I don't purchase weapons because I fear that the ban may be placed in effect once again, I own them because I like them. Even at this point in our political situation banning certain weapons will be tough for Congress to push through, but that's all the more reason to keep the pressure on them. Obama will certainly have a gun ban agenda as will his House and Senate. McCain, while not my first choice, is definitely the only real choice we have as gun owners and proponents of the second amendment. If you only owned 1 'EBR' before the election however, I would make it one in 7.62 NATO, or 7.62x39 rather than the .223. .45ACP has been mentioned which brings to mind HKs USC. A great shooting semi-auto carbine good out to about 75yds that will sling .45ACP rounds all day long without breaking a sweat. It'll handle .45, +P, +P+ and .45 Super.

barry960
October 9, 2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the definition of EBR H2Oman. I'll probably remember the funnier version "Evil Black Rifle" better than "Enhanced Battle Rifle".
DKsimon, I'll probably buy my Thompson at Ben's guns and Loans, (how should you know where the heck that is?) a good 'ol pawn shop close to where I live, since they seem to always have at least one in stock...mildly used, often under $1000. I didn't mean I'd get a full auto one if that's what you were asking, definitely can't afford to, and don't believe class III is even an option in Washington. I know some people in the real world mock the idea of spending so much on basically a fun toy (if never needed for fighting), but I've wanted one since I knew a semi version existed, and before that, have loved the real full-auto kind since Geraldo fired one in that basement during the famous 'Al Capone's Vault' Special. I got to fire a couple 20 round mags from a GI type full-auto one in Las Vegas and it was just glorious. Seemed to me that there isn't anything better for a fight at under the 50 yard range, and I'm sure further than that for some of you who are really coordinated with it.

Kind of Blued
October 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
I'd suggest an AR for <$1,000 or an FAL for $1100 or so and the rest on mags & ammo.

The AR is generally more fun to shoot and own.

My reasons are ammo compatibility. If you really NEED an EBR for reasons pertaining to an AWB, some of us will most likely have some extra .223 or .308 for you when the militia is on it's way to Washington. ;)

Outside of that, I'd suggest the AR just because it's a bit cheaper and and a lot of fun to shoot.

sectional_density
October 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
"Osama?" Must have heard that one on Foxnews! In my book, that doesn't qualify as very "highroad", Timradcliff345. I guess that's up to the mods to decide, though.

Be that as it may, might I suggest a converted saiga-12 w/ some big fat magazines?

yongxingfreesty
October 9, 2008, 04:33 PM
ak47 no joke

buzz_knox
October 9, 2008, 04:38 PM
"Osama?" Must have heard that one on Foxnews! In my book, that doesn't qualify as very "highroad", Timradcliff345. I guess that's up to the mods to decide, though.

He could have gotten it from Ted Kennedy, who called Obama that.

Ben Shepherd
October 9, 2008, 05:10 PM
1. A quality AK(about $500.00)
2. Two dozen mags(about $400.00)
3. Ammo(The rest of it, approx. 2000 rounds)
Done.

jordan1948
October 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'm going for an M1A and IF I have any left over the rest is going into mags and ammo but I doubt I'll have any left I might not be able to afford with what I've got now.

HGUNHNTR
October 9, 2008, 05:24 PM
I beleive its Obama, but grownup children still resort to name calling ie. Osama, etc.......

Rifleman 173
October 9, 2008, 05:35 PM
Go with a Robinson XCR. They have a better design than any M-4 or AR-15. If you hit YouTube, you can see how people can switch from 1 caliber to another caliber just by switching the barrel assemblies. I'm looking at one in 7.62 X 39 caliber. I tell you the XCR is just too sexy to be ignored.

Ben Shepherd
October 9, 2008, 05:36 PM
While the OP asked about EBRs, I assumed he was wanting a package deal. At that budget level the AK is the most efficient option.

For those that reccomend spending enough on the gun that you can only afford the gun, six mags and no ammo in the mix? Just what, exactly, are you giong to use for ammo?

yongxingfreesty
October 9, 2008, 05:44 PM
Should ve been more specific with my post.

ak in 5.45x39....ammo is $130/1080rds, stack a couple cases and you re good to go.

NC-Mike
October 9, 2008, 08:33 PM

Yep, just like they listened to all the people who called to stop the bailout, err, Rescue plan. :barf:

possum
October 9, 2008, 09:50 PM
ar15, either, rra, stag, bushmaster, slr 15 etc. and lots of pmags.

benEzra
October 9, 2008, 09:59 PM
Do both.

The more Americans who lawfully own EBR's, the harder it is for the prohibitionists to ban them.

(And FWIW, as it stands now, more Americans own "assault weapons" as defined by H.R.1022 than hunt, which puts us in a pretty good position.)

JustAnotherPlinker
October 9, 2008, 10:17 PM
DSA FAL: ~$1200, $100 on ten mags, 500 rounds of ammo with rest.

If you enjoyed reading about "If I can only own one EBR before Osama..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!