Marlin 981T 22 cal.

PDA

hilltopper55
October 6, 2008, 09:32 PM
I just bought a new Marlin 981T 22 cal rifle. I like the rifle overall except for the butt plate. The stock is synthetic and the butt plate is made into the black stock. Does anyone know what would work as a rubber butt plate to keep it from sliding around on my hardwood floors. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 981T 22 cal." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletchbutt152
October 6, 2008, 09:35 PM
you could get a limbsaver to slip over it...i should do that with mine

glockman19
October 6, 2008, 09:37 PM
I can't answer your question but I also have a981t. It's a great little rifle. Only $150, I couldn't pass it up.

hilltopper55
October 6, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yes, It is a great little rifle. Becoming hard to find for some reason. Mine was $185.00. Going to use a Simmons 22 Mag Scope. Do you have to order the rings and bases from Marlin, or will other work? Which ones?

Feanaro
October 7, 2008, 04:27 AM
Great little rifle. I amuse myself to no end firing 20+ .22 shorts without having to reload.

For the scope, anything made for 3/8th grooves will work, which is most every base marketed for .22 rimfires. As for the stock, you could try a slip-on model, though I don't know how well that would work. You could also get a grind-to-fit buttplate. Cut the stock flat, grind the buttplate to fit, drill some holes, and install.

hilltopper55
October 7, 2008, 05:21 PM
Great information, Thanks

Ratshooter
October 7, 2008, 10:13 PM
I really like my 981T. I wouldn't modify my gun just so I could prop it in a corner. Why don't you get a non-skid rug and put it where you store your gun instead?

You can buy a red rubber pad about 5" square in the plumbing dept. at Lowes and I promise your gun wil not slip on it. I used this same stuff for coasters under the legs of my chairs, I have laminate flooring in my house, and you would think the chairs are screwed to the floors now.

Also a side note. If you remove the buttplate and sand a small amount off the sides (its a tight fit) and remove the butt filler you have a storage area for extra ammo, fishing stuff and matches. This makes it a good grab-n-go survival/truck gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 981T 22 cal." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!