Mosin Scope Mount That Stays Tight

PDA

twinhairdryers
October 6, 2008, 10:57 PM
Has anyone found a method of getting those cheap scope mounts to stay tight on their Mosins? you know the kind that mounts with screws through the rear sight pin holes, and then moves around all over the place after 10 shots? I can't see any decent way to get that rotation issue to work with those small weakish screws and I'm not going to weld something onto these (have 3 of them). Any good alternative mounts, or a way to get those cheap things to stay mounted??

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Scope Mount That Stays Tight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Claude Clay
October 6, 2008, 11:12 PM
laser sight it in my basement. figure your own distance and formula for conversion to 100 yards. so, bore by laser and optics agree on target ( this takes time ~+30 minutes) adjust the 3 screws and keep sighting and adjusting till all 3 screws are tight. reverify. i use quick release ring bases: remove scope w/ rings attached. note the EXACT position of the hex wrench before you back out each screw 3 turns. put loc-tite (red) on the screws one at a time (center 1st than back or front) and retighten as per what you wrote down. let sit overnight.
in the field--gross scope corrections ( if needed) can be done by shimming the front or rear lower ring ( a piece of thin masking tape). mine is +200 rounds and fine. good luck.

rondog---interesting site. if mine ever shoots loose i know what to try. thank you.

twinhairdryers
October 6, 2008, 11:37 PM
about 10-15 shots or so from recoil on my 91/30. My issue isn't zeroing it, it's keeping those cheapo scope mounts from moving all over under recoil.

rondog
October 7, 2008, 12:15 AM
Those FleaBay mounts bite.

On the 91/30's you can easily remove the entire rear sight assembly and there's a (roughly) 3/8" dovetail milled onto the top of the barrel. You can clamp a set of scope rings directly onto that. As I understand it, this is only on the 91/30's though. This is how I'm scoping mine, if I ever get the stock refinished and reassemble it.

There's also other mounts available, like Darrel's. Here's a really good thread from another forum about this. There's lots of photos towards the end. http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/57343-scout-scoping-mosin-nagant-m91-30-a.html

19-3Ben
October 7, 2008, 12:20 AM
The cheapo ones don't work. I got one and it broke as I was mounting it. It was one of those you get for $25 for the scope, rings, and mount on eBay.

Spend the money and get a Darrels.

twinhairdryers
October 7, 2008, 09:51 PM
Anyone else remove their entire rear sight assembly pins and find a near 3/8" dovetail grove? I tried tapping the rearmost pin out and it was stuck solid, broke two punches just trying. I remember trying to get the front most pin to remove the rear spring and sight plate on my M44 and getting into the same sort of trouble. How in the world do you get pins out that may be stuck in place for 60 years????

As you can tell, my garage gunsmith tools are not too elaboorate. Bunch of hand tools you would use to fix a car.

KI.W.
October 9, 2008, 11:24 AM
-jibe: http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pu4we5.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Scope Mount That Stays Tight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!