Why was this thread closed for being OT?Cop TV Shows.

PDA

Duke Junior
October 7, 2008, 12:39 AM
Isn't this gun oriented,Justin?I'm confused.Please explain why this poll was shut down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why was this thread closed for being OT?Cop TV Shows." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Harvster
October 7, 2008, 12:40 AM
These questions go by PM to the mods.

Treo
October 7, 2008, 12:41 AM
Maybe if the thread was about the guns used in the shows

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 7, 2008, 12:41 AM
Cop shows != Firearms.

Duke Junior
October 7, 2008, 12:42 AM
:DThese questions go by PM to the mods.

Are you serious?Then why wasn't my Classic Western TV Shows POLL SHUT DOWN?

Heavy Metal Hero
October 7, 2008, 12:46 AM
Are you serious?

Yes he is. Instead of making another thread about it, why not just PM a moderator (hopefully the one whom closed it)?

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 7, 2008, 12:48 AM
Then why wasn't my Classic Western TV Shows POLL SHUT DOWN?
Because sometimes the mods will let a silly thread go. As you can see, the problem with that is it makes people think they have a blank check to post anything they want and they get their nose bent out of shape when the rules are applied to the them later.

Harvster
October 7, 2008, 12:49 AM
Yep. Why plead your case to us? we can't do anything about it. Some threads get reopened by discussing it with a moderator. This thread is not long for this life either as it is not gun related.

Duke Junior
October 7, 2008, 12:55 AM
:evil:I think Jorg who's got more brains than any of else has got it right!
This is not making any sense to me.
Look at the thread poll involving the greatest TV West shows.It's still up.
Want's the difference?And Jorg TV Westerns was a silly thread?You certainly are a silly elitist.
It's all gun related!
Now have to re-evalute Jorg!:evil:

Duke Junior
October 7, 2008, 02:12 AM
Because sometimes the mods will let a silly thread go. As you can see, the problem with that is it makes people think they have a blank check to post anything they want and they get their nose bent out of shape when the rules are applied to the them later.

1189 hits .67 comments.Back to your drawing board,Jorg.Your elitism makes me ill.:barf:

Duke Junior
October 7, 2008, 02:23 AM
Yep. Why plead your case to us? we can't do anything about it. Some threads get reopened by discussing it with a moderator. This thread is not long for this life either as it is not gun related.

Not gun related?Harvster,what planet do you live on?Cops with guns?

Catherine
October 7, 2008, 06:03 AM
Gee, old police shows sound good to me. GUNS have to do with police shows. Duh!

I liked those shows too.

I missed your thread earlier, Duke.

PMs don't always work - been there - done that.

Take care.

Catherine

Mal H
October 7, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm not Justin, but I'll take a stab at it.

1) This isn't the TV Guide forum!

2) "Isn't this gun oriented,Justin?"
Does a thread that starts out with the title "What is Your All Time Favorite Cop TV Show(1950--2008)" sound like it's gun oriented? Not to me. It sounds like it's cop TV show oriented.

3) Why was your "fav western" thread allowed to continue? I can't be certain, but maybe it was the line you posted that made it at least seem to be gun oriented: "The criteria used was a show where guns were commonplace if not wholly central to each show's story line."

4) "Then why wasn't my Classic Western TV Shows POLL SHUT DOWN?" Based only on the thread title, that oversight has now been corrected.

5) Any further discussion on this topic must go to PM or email.

Justin
October 7, 2008, 12:25 PM
I closed the thread because it wasn't directly gun-related. THR exists to further RKBA and to facilitate an exchange in ideas that help us all to become better at shooting.

Sitting around watching TV doesn't help anyone become a better shooter or RKBA advocate. I would rather see one thread where people spend time seriously breaking down why and how they grip a pistol, or a deep discussion on visual transitions between targets than any ten fun threads.

That said, some fun or silly threads stay open either because the mod staff doesn't see them, or because there's nothing wrong with an occasional fun thread. Think of them like a candy bar. You don't want to eat nothing but candy, but once in awhile, there's nothing wrong with having one. So, some fun threads do stay open, however if the GGD begins to get overwhelmed by them, you can count on most of them being closed.

Claude Clay
October 7, 2008, 12:53 PM
so a thread on guns, candy and three musketeers is ok? :cool:

note to self: don't try this twice

hso
October 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
A thread about the guns we remember from the cop shows from 1950-2008 would have been a perfectly suitable topic for THR. OTOH, a thread about cop shows as shows is an entertainment question and not a firearms question.

An entertainment thread would be great for ArmedPoliteSociety.com or the old Rountable forum (pity we had to do away with that) that used to be here. I'd say the same observation applies for the cowboy shows thread. An entertainment question.

Alternately, a thread about which shows most accurately/reasonably depicted firearms use or which shows showed firearms most appropriate for the period might have been suitable if it related to public perception of firearms.

Keep the focus on the firearms or the firearms use and it's THR material.

Duke Junior
October 7, 2008, 02:17 PM
I appreciate all 3 Moderators on line responses and explanations.
Also I got touchy and annoyed last night and lost my composure.
So while this thread is still open I want apologize to Jorg for going over the bounds of polite civil discourse.There is never an excuse for that.
So hopefully he'll see this post and accept it.
Duke

MJRW
October 8, 2008, 02:59 PM
Yep. This pretty much cements it. Adios.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why was this thread closed for being OT?Cop TV Shows." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!