Is a non-chrome lined barrel on an AR a dealbreaker?

PDA

BHPshooter
October 7, 2008, 02:49 PM
I've got my eye on a nice DSA AR-15. It's a mid-length fluted barrel, and really blows my skirt up, but the barrel isn't chrome lined.

Would that be a deal breaker for you? I'm really not sure how necessary the chrome lining is.

Wes

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a non-chrome lined barrel on an AR a dealbreaker?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Omaha-BeenGlockin
October 7, 2008, 03:00 PM
For me it is--just because I want my AR's as close to a combat rifle as possible.

rcmodel
October 7, 2008, 03:04 PM
If it was a deal-breaker, they sure wouldn't sell very many AR-15's!

I see it as very nice to have on a bullet-hose, blast'n gun.

But if top level accuracy in a match or varmint rifle is the goal, you are much better off without it.

rcmodel

dscottw88
October 7, 2008, 03:04 PM
It is for me. I refuse to buy anything without having a chrome lined barrel.

f4t9r
October 7, 2008, 03:06 PM
if the deal is good it would not stop me.
I like the chrome lined barrel but I have had ones that were not and never had a problem

B.D. Turner
October 7, 2008, 03:09 PM
Bushmaster CMP barrels are not chrome lined and they are match grade.

Fergy35
October 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
rcmodel seems to have hit it on the head.

For range use, blastin and if, God forbid, SHTF, yeah chrome lined is the way to go. It makes clean-up easier and if I am not mistaken, barrel life longer.

However, for someone that is trying to squeak every bit of accuracy possible out of their rifle, non-chrome lined is better. How much better? I have no idea.

Good luck with your decision.

atlanticfire
October 7, 2008, 03:36 PM
Irrelevant, unless your shooting corrosive ammo.

texfed
October 7, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm not trying to beat up on anyone....but hasn't anyone ever heard of cleaning a gun after use?
That's the only real reason years ago chrome became popular ....and it wasn't with us either! The commies first figured since their GI's weren't up to cleaning guns a whole lot...they'd chrome the inside of the barrels to keep em rust free a little longer.
Chrome inside an AR's barrel isn't going to make it track any better.

So , all things being equal, I wouldn't make...not having a chrome lined barrel.... my only criteria for buying or not buying a rifle!:rolleyes:

AndyC
October 7, 2008, 03:48 PM
Don't care either way; I keep my stuff clean and very lightly oiled.

Schleprok62
October 7, 2008, 04:00 PM
it's just one more thing to worry about wearing out... any time you have that amount of friction and heat build-up... stuff is going to wear... faster... it's not a make or break type option. It's a bell/whistle that's not critical to the practical use of the weapon for any style of use... plinking, target shooting, varmining, SHTF, etc... now, to me the 5.56 chamber vs .223Rem would be more of a consideration than the chrome lining... but that's me...

Cheers...

cat9x
October 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
go chrome or go home

RP88
October 7, 2008, 04:48 PM
I prefer it. I'm not a match shooter, so the miniscule amount of lost accuracy is a non-issue to me (I'm also not shooting with 1:7 twist or optics, etc. etc. out to 600 yards). Even though I clean my guns after every shooting (even my AK), I still like the safety feeling of knowing that my barrel will always be there in tip-top shape.

Z-Michigan
October 7, 2008, 04:56 PM
It's not a deal breaker to me. I prefer chrome (except on a match/target barrel) but it's not really important unless:

1) You're going to shoot corrosive ammo. Let me know where you find corrosive .223.

2) You're going to walk for weeks in the tropical jungle, never cleaning your rifle, and using ammunition loaded with an inappropriate powder.

So, basically, it's nice to have and makes cleaning slightly easier. That's about it.

JonB
October 7, 2008, 05:18 PM
Nope. don't care if it is chrome lined or not.

a) i'm not going swimming with it
b) I don't live in a jungle
c) I clean keep my guns clean and maintained
d) Is an AR really that hard to clean that chrome lining makes a difference? Not in my world, but maybe others are more mall-ninja than me and will argue that it matters.

stiletto raggio
October 7, 2008, 05:22 PM
Both of mine are stainless. Chrome-lined barrels are not known for exceptional accuracy, which is why you see so many SS match barrels these days. Better wear and corrosion resistance than carbon steel, better accuracy than chrome.

R.W.Dale
October 7, 2008, 05:35 PM
Why do everyday 9 to 5 day job people who shoot their rifle maybe once a week AT A RANGE and clean it immediately afterwards feel they MUST have a chrome lined bore?

I just don't get it.

Picard
October 7, 2008, 05:41 PM
Why do everyday 9 to 5 day job people who shoot their rifle maybe once a week AT A RANGE and clean it immediately afterwards feel they MUST have a chrome lined bore?

I just don't get it.

It's a hype thing. If you can get it, why not?

R.W.Dale
October 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
It's a hype thing. If you can get it, why not?

Because I prefer my rifles to be as accurate as possible.

Before you know it someone will start marketing rifles with a factory installed tactical counterbore job

MinnMooney
October 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
It's a "deal-breaker", alright, but it's opposite of what you're askin'. I'll buy stainless or blued but never chrome-lined.

Keep them halfway clean and you'll get more accuracy, And remember........

Life is too short for crummy ammo or inaccurate rifles. :what:

Omaha-BeenGlockin
October 7, 2008, 06:49 PM
I was picking off a 12in x 12in steel plate at 200yds with ball ammo---iron sights ---standing offhand with ease using my chrome lined M4-gery.

If I scoped it up---used a bench and better ammo----just how in-accurate do you really think it will be??

NOT MUCH

Z-Michigan
October 7, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hype goes both ways. It would not be unreasonable to expect 1.5 MOA from a quality chrome-lined barrel. Sure, better accuracy is possible, but that's better than a lot of us shoot without a bench rest.

As I and others already said, the chrome lining isn't all that important either. Basically, I don't consider it a big deal either way.

If you're shooting corrosive ammo, it is a big deal. Again, I don't know of any .223 corrosive ammo. It would also be preferable, but not essential, if you're going to be shooting lots of steel jacketed bullets. In .223 that means Russian ammo, as everyone else puts copper jackets on .223 bullets. Even then, it's just nice, rather than really important.

.38 Special
October 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
Chrome lining is critically important for

A) Mall ninjas

B) "Operators"

C) People who can't/don't clean their barrels.

For everyone else, it doesn't really matter.

HTH!

taliv
October 7, 2008, 07:48 PM
could we get some more hyperbole in here, please?:rolleyes:

it's like a friggin drama society in rifle country these days.

If it was a deal-breaker, they sure wouldn't sell very many AR-15's!

I see it as very nice to have on a bullet-hose, blast'n gun.

But if top level accuracy in a match or varmint rifle is the goal, you are much better off without it.

rcmodel

+1

Gator
October 7, 2008, 07:55 PM
Chrome lining is useful on full autos because the barrel will last longer. But how many of us are lucky enough to be able to afford the ammo it would take to see the difference?

Joe Demko
October 7, 2008, 08:21 PM
Chrome lining wasn't invented by "commies" in order to deal with untrained troops. Among others, the Imperial Japanese Army used it a long time ago.

wcwhitey
October 7, 2008, 09:04 PM
RC hit it on the head. Would not need or want it on a target rifle. Bill

NonConformist
October 7, 2008, 09:06 PM
No My Armalite had a lapped Match Barrel, non lines, and its been problem free. Damn things like a laser!

kcshooter
October 7, 2008, 09:13 PM
Match grade and serious target rifles will not have chrome linings. It impedes accuracy. It is fine on guns that are cleaned after shooting.

Military rifles taken into battle will. It helps in adverse situations when thorough cleaning is infrequent or not possible.

Which sounds more like your typical situation for most gun owners?

If you think you have a vital "need" a chrome lining, you probably work for a tactical response team at your local mall.

PPGMD
October 7, 2008, 09:25 PM
Unless it's a match rifle with a stainless barrel, yes it's a deal breaker.

Non-chrome lined moly steel barrels are often by the cheaper AR companies, which means that the chrome lining likely isn't the only they went cheaper on.

Also chrome lining often extends the total barrel life because the chrome lining is about twice as hard as the steel of the barrel.

Gary G23
October 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
"Non-chrome lined moly steel barrels are often by the cheaper AR companies, which means that the chrome lining likely isn't the only they went cheaper on."

Exactly. I don't know of anyone that uses 4150 CMV (MIL-B-11595E, CrMoV Grade) barrel steel that isn't chrome lined.

everallm
October 8, 2008, 09:27 AM
If the company you are buying from stands by their products then don't worry.

Unless you are the typical Internet denizen with our natural 20-20 vision, superior hand/eye co-ordination and Zen Master ability to control our breathing and heart beat then the marginal increase in accuracy will never be noticed.

Shoot - Clean - Repeat

Shear_stress
October 8, 2008, 09:59 AM
I'm all for chrome lining on any rifle that doesn't require match accuracy, not that I am enough of a marksman to tell the difference. As someone who doesn't compete in High Power or CMP matches, I favor the marginal increase in reliability over the marginal decrease in accuracy.

Apparently wanting to spend another $40 to maximize the reliability of a rifle that could really use it makes me a tactical wanna-be.

ProCarryNAustin
October 8, 2008, 10:03 AM
Not a deal breaker for me.

It will take me a long time to fire enough rounds to wear out my barrel since I don't get my kicks from magazine dumps. When it wears out, it is not that big a deal to replace.

I enjoy cleaning my guns after an outing as I have been addicted to Hoppes since I was about 10.

I will take every bit of additional accuracy, even if it is marginal.

It is not that I would refuse a rifle with a chromed lined barrel, I just don't feel it offers me enough to pay extra for it.

YMMV.

Daniel
Austin, Texas

Bix
October 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
Depends on what it's going to be used for.

An AR that is used primarily for carbine classes and 3 gun matches? I'd want a chrome barrel.

An AR that is used for highpower matches? Probably prefer non-chrome lined.

An AR isn't really used? I suspect it doesn't matter ;).

Yosemite**Sam
October 8, 2008, 10:50 AM
Chrome lined barrels will far out last a non chrome lined barrel. I have personal experience with some old Colts that have well in excess of 30,000 rounds and the barrels are not shot out.

threefeathers
October 8, 2008, 11:24 AM
If it will be a single AR for my it would be a deal breaker. If it will be a companion piece designed for competition or preditor hunting I'd get it. Either way you've got about 7 months to get them by my guess so choose right.

ProCarryNAustin
October 8, 2008, 11:56 AM
"Either way you've got about 7 months to get them by my guess so choose right. "

Given the election results of 1996, I'm not so sure politicians will be so quick to repeat the mistakes of 1994. I could be wrong, but 1996 was a strong lesson for the Democrats as a party.

Daniel
Austin, Texas

RockyMtnTactical
October 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
It's a deal breaker for me, but it just depends. Some people don't feel like they need one. If you know all of the advantages and don't think you need one, you aren't wanting the rifle for serious shooting and you probably don't need a chromed barrel...

ProCarryNAustin
October 8, 2008, 04:34 PM
"If you know all of the advantages and don't think you need one, you aren't wanting the rifle for serious shooting and you probably don't need a chromed barrel..."

Mine's used for hunting and personal defense which I consider serious shooting. YMMV.

Daniel
Austin, Texas

HK&1911
October 8, 2008, 04:48 PM
I'm with Bix:
Depends on what it's going to be used for.
An AR that is used primarily for carbine classes and 3 gun matches? I'd want a chrome barrel.

An AR that is used for highpower matches? Probably prefer non-chrome lined.
[HK&1911: I would prefer a MATCH-grade, such as, BM DCM or WOA]

An AR isn't really used? I suspect it doesn't matter .

Here is some good information on the different steels used...

From: http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAr15ShootersSite/barrelfaq.msnw

Q: What is the difference between Chrome/Moly and Chrome Lined? How does Stainless fit in?

A: All manufactures use Chrome/Moly steel to make barrels - its a type of steel that has some chrome in it to help with wear and corrosion resistance IT IS NOT the same as 'Chrome Lined'. There are two types of Chrome/Moly that are used to make AR-15 barrels. The most common (an most inexpensive) is 4140, its a decent steel that is used on many firarms. The other (more expensive) type is 4150, its got more chrome in it and is more durable and corrsion resistant; only Colt, Bushmaster, and FN use 4150 steel for their barrels. A 4140 chrome/moly barrel is the least expensive barrel you can purchase - yet they can be quite accurate.

Chrome Lining is a process where chrome is 'welded' to the steel of the barrel. This produces a coating that is twice as hard as the steel. It prevents corrosion, makes cleaning much easier, and extends the barrels life. There is also a slight drop in accuracy (compared to an identical quality non-lined barrel), about 0.5 MOA worth from what I've seen - something 99% of shooters won't notice. Chrome lined chambers are a reliability enhancer. Only chrome/moly barrels can be chrome lined. Bushmaster and Armalite chrome line their barrels, Colt chrome lines their chambers (and the bores on their military profile barrels), and RRA has produced limited runs of chrome lined M4 barrels. Chrome lined barrels have the longest life expectancy.

Stainless barrels are used on match rifles. The Stainless steel is easier to rifle consistantly, and consistancy is the key to an accurate barrel. Once broken in stainless barrels are almost as easy to clean as chrome lined. Stainless barrels are also very corrosion resistant. Some companies (like Olympic Arms) have a process that blackens the stainless, others (like DPMS) leave the barrels 'in the white' (silver color). Generally the most accurate rifle have stainless steel barrels.

HK&1911

R.W.Dale
October 8, 2008, 04:58 PM
Chrome lined AR15's are the gun equivalent of those Super Duty F350 diesels parked in driveways all across suburban America that haven't towed anything heavier than a bass boat or hauled anything heavier than a Harley in the bed.

If you know all of the advantages and don't think you need one, you aren't wanting the rifle for serious shooting and you probably don't need a chromed barrel...

PFFT! LOL How much time have you spent crawling round in the jungle with your AR-15?

could we get some more hyperbole in here, please?

A chrome lined AR15 IS hyperbole personified.

PPGMD
October 8, 2008, 05:14 PM
Chrome lined AR15's are the gun equivalent of those Super Duty F350 diesels parked in driveways all across suburban America that haven't towed anything heavier than a bass boat or hauled anything heavier than a Harley in the bed.

I don't think that is an apt comparison. I think it's like comparing summer performance tire, and all weather tires.

The summer tires give you greater performance, but won't last as long. All weather tires generally last longer, and work better in a wider variety of environments.

JonB
October 8, 2008, 05:16 PM
I like the way krochus summed it up. :)

Slater
October 8, 2008, 05:19 PM
I've got a plain-Jane Bushmaster A2 HBAR that came with the chrome-lined barrel. Does it really make any difference to me one way or the other? No, but if increases barrel life I guess it's just one of those "nice to have" things.

Samgotit
October 8, 2008, 05:24 PM
RC's the man. Just to reinforce, look at Sabre Defense rifles by use, then notice the lining options:

http://www.sabredefence.com/commercial.php

Competition, Match, Varmint and Marksman --- no chrome.

Carbine and Tactical --- chrome

Mostly.

R.W.Dale
October 8, 2008, 05:36 PM
The summer tires give you greater performance, but won't last as long. All weather tires generally last longer, and work better in a wider variety of environments.

OK then, By your analogy a Chrome bored AR is akin to drivin round on winter tires IN FLORIDA

aka108
October 8, 2008, 05:36 PM
Guess I'd prefer chrome lined if I lived in a rain forest and shot corrosive ammo. Otherwise, chrome or unchromed, wouldn't make or break a deal for me.

PPGMD
October 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
OK then, By your analogy a Chrome bored AR is akin to drivin round on winter tires IN FLORIDA

No chrome lined ARs are like the all weather tires, they last long, and work in a wider variety of enviroments.

Stainless (which are obviously non-chrome lined) are like the performance tire.

Non-chrome lined moly steel barrels are like those cheap non-name tires at Walmart. Yeah they work, but they won't last as long, and they don't perform as well other brands.

Anyways companies that sell non-chrome lined moly steel barrels, generally go cheap on other parts that result in a cheaper gun over all. Like not staking anything, using rifle FSB on flat top uppers, and using cheap bolts that haven't been test at all.

Shear_stress
October 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
As has been repeatedly pointed out, chrome lining is not just about rust prevention, but about maximizing reliability and barrel life at a slight cost to accuracy. I don't compete and I also like the things I own to be as reliable and long lasting as can be.

If we want to go down the slippery slope of "necessity", why do you need a military-derived, collapsible stocked, semi-auto capable of using high-capacity magazines in the first place? Surely we could all just get by with wood-stocked turnbolts! Oh yeah, because we like them, it's our right, and the chrome on my gun doesn't make your gun less accurate.

ProCarryNAustin
October 8, 2008, 06:25 PM
"why do you need a military-derived, collapsible stocked, semi-auto capable of using high-capacity magazines in the first place?"

I wanted a carbine that would be light, easy to handle, accurate and work for hunting and self-defense. RRA in 6.8 SPC. Hard to find any other platform that will cover the bases as well. Will defend the castle an also do a number on deer, hogs, 2 legged dirty skunks and just about anything else I might come across.

Daniel
Austin, Texas

rbernie
October 8, 2008, 06:46 PM

I just don't get it.For a range toy - this is an accurate statement. For a truck gun (not a jungle, but lots of condensation and such) or a gun that'll see lots and lots of rounds (a 'practical' gaming gun comes to mind), it's sure nice to have even if the benefit isn't immediately quantifiable.

My varmint ARs have stainless barrels. My 'social uses' ARs that are likely to get little attention and be subject to lots o' damp conditions all have chrome lined barrels. My bambi-huntin' ARs that get pampered like a range gun all have chome-moly unlined barrels.

Works for me.

BHPshooter
October 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
Wow. I am even more confused now. :p

My primary role to fill is that of a SHTF gun. It will see use in 3-gun matches and the occasional camping trip, but since I don't have a rifle (other than a .22), I want to fill the role of "defensive rifle" first.

This (http://www.dsarms.com/16-Futted-Barrel-Flattop-Upper-Receiver-556-Cal-Rifle/productinfo/DSZM4MIDLENGTH/) is the DSA I'm looking at. (The pic is not exactly right -- this one doesn't have the Hogue PG or the Magpul trigger guard.)

My other option is a Stag Model 2. (http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=206)

I dunno, guys... for my purposes, I am leaning a little towards the Stag. It has a carbine-length gas system, but a chrome-lined barrel.

So Confused!
Wes

Toten Kopf
October 8, 2008, 07:42 PM
For me it's not a deal breaker...

Most of you people will never ever need a chromed lined barrel. Like someone else said, "Mall Ninja crap". Wanna-be's...

Most of you think that you will be involved in WWIII next week, but have never had any training to ensure your survival.

If you have a chomed line barrel, that's okay, if you don't that's okay too. I have both types and honestly I couldn't care less which one I use.

I take care of all my equipment the same so if I shoot one or the other, it gets cleaned regardless.

.38 Special
October 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
Toten wins the thread.

Next?

PPGMD
October 8, 2008, 07:57 PM
So having a barrel that will last much much longer then a non-chrome lined barrel is "Mall ninja crap."

Chrome lining is nearly twice as hard the steel used in the barrel, and can extend barrel life dramatically.

kcshooter
October 8, 2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah they work, but they won't last as long, and they don't perform as well other brands.They'll outlast almost every AR owner. They are the top performers as far as accuracy is concerned. chrome lining is not just about rust prevention, but about maximizing reliability and barrel life at a slight cost to accuracyAs far as reliability, that goes for the chambers only. As far as barrel life, see above.
If we want to go down the slippery slope of "necessity", why do you need a military-derived, collapsible stocked, semi-auto capable of using high-capacity magazines in the first place?Lets not go there. Call an AR a "want" if you like, but I also don't want to pay more for a chrome lining that serves me no purpose. If there's an option, great, at least I don't have to have it. So having a barrel that will last much much longer then a non-chrome lined barrel is "Mall ninja crap."

Chrome lining is nearly twice as hard the steel used in the barrel, and can extend barrel life dramatically.Have you ever shot out an AR barrel? Have you ever come close?
Didn't think so, so you don't need it.

Toten Kopf
October 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
So having a barrel that will last much much longer then a non-chrome lined barrel is "Mall ninja crap."

Chrome lining is nearly twice as hard the steel used in the barrel, and can extend barrel life dramatically.

So, when was the last time you shot out a barrel?

On one barrel I have shot over 10,000 rounds (that's correct, 10,000) and it still shoots well and it's just a plain Jane chrome moly barrel!

Look, if you want a chromed barrel, go for it. But saying that you "need" a chromed barrel is another story.

.38 Special
October 8, 2008, 08:31 PM
If you can afford to shoot out a barrel you afford to buy a new one on occasion.

But I have a feeling that, on average, the kind of folks who think chrome lining is critical are the same kind of folks that spend their range days turning their BMF "Activator" cranks with the cheapest brand of Bulgarian-made ammo they can find and wouldn't be able to identify a shot-out barrel on a bet.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

PPGMD
October 8, 2008, 08:33 PM
They'll outlast almost every AR owner. They are the top performers as far as accuracy is concerned.

Have you ever shot out an AR barrel? Have you ever come close?

I know several people that have worn out stainless barrels. OTOH I don't think I've ever met anyone that has worn out a chrome lined barrel outside of machine guns.

I personally put 6k a year down range with my AR plus training classes 1,000-2000 rounds. But that is all down my chrome lined gun. I wouldn't even consider doing that many rounds down my stainless tube. And I wouldn't even own a non-chrome lined moly steeled barreled gun.

Shear_stress
October 8, 2008, 08:39 PM
As far as reliability, that goes for the chambers only. As far as barrel life, see above.

So you acknowledge that chroming does serve a purpose. Good, at least that's more than those who seem to equate it with tactical lights and "Extreme-Shok" ammo.

Please reread my post regarding where talking about "need" gets you.

If there's an option, great, at least I don't have to have it.

We can definately agree on this. I prefer iron sights, standard furniture, simplicity and light weight on my ARs, but am willing to pay <=4% more for a chrome-lined bore. You're not? Good for you. It's still a free country.

Yes, there is a lot of snobbery and kool-aid drinking with this and all other hobbies. But the snobbery cuts both ways, and there are a lot of people who won't pay a dime for a feature they can't see from the outside of a gun and think that those who do must be suckers. It reminds me of a few people I've met who don't like coffee. Instead of just saying "nope, I just don't care for it", they feel they need to rationalize their taste by painting coffee drinkers as addicts and coffee as something akin to liquid heroin.

HankC
October 8, 2008, 08:41 PM
I bought chrome lined because I shoot cheap steel case ammo. chrome lined chamber helps extraction. I probably would not want chrome lined if I only shoot high $ brass ammo and want max accuracy. For the same reason, you choose 5.56 chamber vs .223 chamber.

Toten Kopf
October 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
I find it just amazing that before barrel chroming, any rifle would even work. :what:

Like the M1, M14, Thompson just to name some. I'm sure that some of those weapons have endured more crap than anyone here has put their rifle through.

It all gets down to what you want, not what you need.

Shear_stress
October 8, 2008, 09:01 PM
I find it just amazing that before barrel chroming, any rifle would even work.

Like the M1, M14, Thompson just to name some. I'm sure that some of those weapons have endured more crap than anyone here has put their rifle through.

I don't want nuthin' to do with them newfangled repeaters. Gimme a blackpower singleshot smokepole anyday. Served me right in the Civil War.

It all gets down to what you want, not what you need.

Yep.

PPGMD
October 8, 2008, 09:04 PM
The guns had much lower expected barrel lives. The M1 had a realistic barrel life of around 10k. I've heard of chrome lined ARs going 40k+ without a loss of accuracy.

FlyinBryan
October 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
so whats the best 100 yard accuracy you can get out of a chrome lined barrel?

H2O MAN
October 8, 2008, 09:10 PM
Is a non-chrome lined barrel on an AR a dealbreaker?

Only if you had your heart set on a chrome lined barrel...

Toten Kopf
October 8, 2008, 09:13 PM
so whats the best 100 yard accuracy you can get out of a chrome lined barrel?

Okay, I'm waiting to hear about all the -MOA groups.

I shoot a lot of competition with the AR and when I see a question like this and the answers I see, boy-o-boy...

There are more Olympic caliber shooters on the internet than in reality.

the foot
October 8, 2008, 09:17 PM
If you want to avoid thorough cleanup after playing shooter, by all means insist on a chrome lined barrel.

Otherwise it doesn't matter - if the SHTF one of these days, All of our weapons will work like a charm if we have taken care of them.

Toten Kopf
October 8, 2008, 09:20 PM
The guns had much lower expected barrel lives. The M1 had a realistic barrel life of around 10k. I've heard of chrome lined ARs going 40k+ without a loss of accuracy.

You heard...he/she said...

This is one reason why people are buying chromed lined barrels, like they will even shoot 10,000 rounds.

Like I said, I have a standard chrome moly barel with over 10,000 rounds fired and it's still accurate. Maybe not as accurate as when new, but then what barrel will?

Note: I'm having more fun with this thread than Carter has liver pills...:eek:

Joe Demko
October 8, 2008, 09:20 PM
Time for some folks in this thread to take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard, I think. There are an awful lot of almost-but-not-quite insults and insinuations of lying being flung around. There's no reason for any of it. If you have something practical and factual to say about chrome lined or unlined barrels, say it. If what you have to say is about "the kind of people who own..." then it is probably best left unsaid.

PPGMD
October 8, 2008, 09:21 PM
I've never shot sub-MOA with a chrome lined barrel, but with a good shooter, and a good barrel, just under MOA is certainly possible.

Toten Kopf
October 8, 2008, 09:25 PM
Okay, I'm outta-here...

The PC people are sniffing around. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings with the facts!

PPGMD
October 8, 2008, 09:30 PM
Toten,

I didn't personally see the 40k, but it's a rental gun at a training school.

RockyMtnTactical
October 8, 2008, 10:30 PM
PFFT! LOL How much time have you spent crawling round in the jungle with your AR-15?

What does that have to do with anything.

For me, chrome lining (or lack thereof) is a dealbreaker. For you, it isn't. Get over it.

NC-Mike
October 8, 2008, 11:22 PM
I just bought a DPMS upper and it's not chrome lined. My Sig 556 is not chrome lined either.

I don't care, I've got some chrome lined AR's to use if its rainin that day. :D

.38 Special
October 8, 2008, 11:26 PM
Time for some folks in this thread to take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard, I think. There are an awful lot of almost-but-not-quite insults and insinuations of lying being flung around. There's no reason for any of it. If you have something practical and factual to say about chrome lined or unlined barrels, say it. If what you have to say is about "the kind of people who own..." then it is probably best left unsaid.

Then I'm guessing you don't want to hear my opinion on amateur moderators... :evil:

Joe Demko
October 9, 2008, 12:06 AM

Joe Demko
October 9, 2008, 12:10 AM
Feel free to report my post if you think I was out of line. Use the little red triangle or pm a moderator.

.38 Special
October 9, 2008, 12:36 AM
Relax, mate, I'm not angry. I'm just worried that you might accidentally choke yourself with that homemade hall monitor sash. :)

FlyinBryan
October 9, 2008, 12:46 AM
first things first. lets be civil and try to keep this place constructive.

back to the thread,,,,,,

you could almost get the impression here sometimes that chrome lined rifles gain longevity at the cost of accuracy.

Okay, I'm waiting to hear about all the -MOA groups.

I shoot a lot of competition with the AR and when I see a question like this and the answers I see, boy-o-boy...

There are more Olympic caliber shooters on the internet than in reality.

i will not sit here and claim my chrome lined rifle will shoot sub moa, but its really accurate enough for me:

these are from a 16" chrome lined bushmaster. it truly will do it all day long and definitly averages under an inch. all were fired a few weeks ago before i installed the free float handgaurd in the picture, which i hope will improve accuracy at least a little.

i cant imagine a non-chrome standard rifle barrel doing that much better, so i dont know what to think about the accuracy disadvantages of chrome lined vs non chrome lined. (not including heavy target barrells, which mine is not.)

i clean my rifle everytime i shoot so non chrome wouldnt be an issue for me anyway, except for how easy this one cleans up. just a few patches and it looks like a mirror from chamber to muzzle.

(on a side note, are those considered "sub moa" ?

Art Eatman
October 9, 2008, 10:50 AM
When a fella tries to interject a modicum of sanity into a series of childish, emotional commentaries, the last thing that's justified is a bunch of sarcasm.

Sarcasm gets threads closed.

Didn't it?

:D:D:D, Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a non-chrome lined barrel on an AR a dealbreaker?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!