More reliable: M1 (including M1A) or AK

PDA

briansmithwins
October 8, 2008, 03:39 PM
Given manufacture by a quality manufacturer, which rifle would be more reliable in real world, living in the dirt conditions? BSW

If you enjoyed reading about "More reliable: M1 (including M1A) or AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KBintheSLC
October 8, 2008, 03:55 PM
Honestly, both options are very reliable. Both are piston operated, both are battle proven platforms, and both are offered in widely accepted and available calibers.
I voted for the AK because that is what I own, but I would not hesitate to use an M1A as well.

H2O MAN
October 8, 2008, 04:05 PM
My CRAZY HORSE® NAVY MK14 SEI MOD 0 delivers AK47
Reliability combined with Sub MOA 7.62mm x 51 Accuracy.
My Norinco T56SHTF AKM has been nothing but reliable.

Both can be equally reliable.

Z-Michigan
October 8, 2008, 04:14 PM
If truly equal quality of manufacture, the AK. Much better dust sealing (for instance, it actually has a dust cover) and a piston/carrier system that rarely if ever bends, compared to the more delicate operating rod on M1/M1A systems (yes, I realize the Garand and M14 are not identical in this respect).

Of course, a cheapo AK vs. a truly well made Garand or M14 type might be a different story.

Full Clip
October 8, 2008, 04:17 PM
Of course, if there is a failure, the M1 can double as a great club...the AK, not so much.

foghornl
October 8, 2008, 04:25 PM
the M1 can double as a great club

And with bayonet attached, a better spear/pike... :D :evil: :D :evil:

FMJMIKE
October 8, 2008, 09:16 PM
AK can take more abuse and still function.

Art Eatman
October 8, 2008, 10:54 PM
If your field conditions are bad enough that there could be concern about a rifle's reliability, odds are it's badder than you are and you have a lot more to worry about.

If you enjoyed reading about "More reliable: M1 (including M1A) or AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!