.44/.45 Pyrodex 30 Grain Pellets

PDA

English Phil
October 8, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Folks,
I see that Cabela's sell this type of powder in pellet form. It seems to have a good review. Anyone here used them with any success ?

If you enjoyed reading about ".44/.45 Pyrodex 30 Grain Pellets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Omnivore
October 8, 2008, 09:49 PM
Do you mean in a revolver? Haven't tried it. They've been used for years in the in-line rifles with good results, and I've used a few in my sidelock rifle with no problems. There is no reason to believe they wouldn't work in a revolver. They don't ignite quite as easily as black powder, or so is the common wisdom.

Voodoochile
October 8, 2008, 09:57 PM
I've personally never used them but I know a few that have in their Remmy copies & ROA's with decent results.

Like Omnivore stated they are a little harder to ignite than the Powder form of Pyrodex but standard #11's will work & they are easier to use in theory than loose powder but they tend to be not as precise in the accurcy area as you can obtain with loose powder.

gru556
October 9, 2008, 09:48 AM
I've run 100 rnds thru my ROA with terrible results.I didn't have a enough screw to lower my back sights I had no trouble getting them to burn and they were consistent just not hot enough.Easy to use

Ray P
October 9, 2008, 10:01 AM
Very convenient, but not an ideal load. They work OK in my Pietta Rem 1858; they go 'boom' nicely & put out a bunch of flame & sparks. But the pellets are just not as consistent, accurate, or fast-burning as using measured 24 gr paper cartridges.

Pulp
October 9, 2008, 10:20 AM
They're actually difficult to load in a cap and ball revolver. It's too easy to crush them when seating bullets.
I've also loaded them in .44-40. They shoot very well in that cartridge. Too expensive for me though.

Mark whiz
October 9, 2008, 12:15 PM
I've tried the Pyro Pellets and the old Clean Shot pellets (before Hodgdon sued them) and found them to be anywhere from poor shooting to absolutely worthless. At best they are inconsistent for the very reason Pulp mentioned, they are crushed differently in each chamber as they are loaded - which grossly affects accuracy.
Another thing to consider is whether they are 2fg or 3fg (Pyro P) pellets. 2fg pellets just have nothing going for them in a revolver and the 3fg pellets suffer from the above issue.

As you might can deduce, I'm not a big fan of the pellets for any BP arm................they just never gave me the consistancy and accuracy I desire for my pieces.

Voodoochile
October 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
To me it's Powder or nothing else & if I can help it use only the Real Black.

English Phil
October 9, 2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll stick to powder.

oneiron
October 10, 2008, 02:23 AM
I purchased a pound of Pyrodex P, and fired it about 20 times. I quit and order 10pounds of Godex so that I would never have to use that awful stuff again.
I think the only reason that it is kept in stores is because Hodgdon paid a lobbyist to get the ATF to declare black Powder a low explosive so that it could not be kept in sores with out expensive stowage. That product is so poor it makes me want to not purchase any other product they make.

Hellgate
October 11, 2008, 08:19 PM
I tried them in my Uberti Remington 44s and got inconsistant ignition. When they went off they were distinctly more powerful (sharper recoil) than loose powder.

ArmedBear
October 11, 2008, 08:54 PM
I've used them in a Uberti Remington .44 and they've worked fine. As Hellgate says, they were a bit hot. I wanted to shoot, and they were all the shop had in stock.

I normally tend to use a bit less than 30 grains for casual shooting; I've used as little as 18 with some filler.

Snaggletooth
October 12, 2008, 12:40 AM
I bought a box of 100 and used them for a few trys. Had all sorts of problems . I left a gun loaded with the pills and when I fired it the ball went about 20 feet and the gun sounded like a roman candle. Alot of sizzle and smoke but little velocity.

Omnivore
October 13, 2008, 07:02 PM
Snaggle; I've had exactly the same thing happen with real black after leaving it loaded for weeks with lube pills. The report was so mild that I had to check the barrel for a stuck ball.

If you enjoyed reading about ".44/.45 Pyrodex 30 Grain Pellets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!