AK buttstocks

PDA

Vicious-Peanut
October 9, 2008, 08:29 PM
If I bought an AK with a side-folder could I switch it out with a normal stock if I eventually wanted to? I am considering one of the Henderson defense side-folders, but kind of want to have both options.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK buttstocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
October 9, 2008, 08:33 PM
Can, yes. Worth it, probably not.

You would need at least a new rear trunnion. To do it right you would also need a new receiver too. BSW

Ian
October 9, 2008, 08:33 PM
A Romanian or East German wire sidefolder, yes. A Russian or Bulgarian triangle sidefolder, no. Look a the rivet pattern - two rivets (as a general rule) mean it has a normal rear trunnion and can swap out to a solid stock. Three (and the button for the folder being in the side of the receiver) mean it can't be.

Vicious-Peanut
October 9, 2008, 08:37 PM
Ok, the rifle I'm looking at uses either a German or Romanian side-folder per the website.

nalioth
October 9, 2008, 08:38 PM
. . then you can easily switch to a fixed stock.

BSW, no matter how much we'd all like to, not all of us have nice AK-100 series side folder equipped rifles. :D

Ian
October 9, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I just took a look at the guns Henderson has on their website. The folders will swap out to fixed stocks with the use of just a screwdriver. If you order one from Henderson, ask them to throw in a solid stock - not too long ago they were selling complete Romanian wood furniture sets for $15.

Vicious-Peanut
October 9, 2008, 09:03 PM
Will do. While we are on the subject of ordering from them, how do I go about doing it? I know I need an FFL and know who I want to use, but do I order the firearm first then they call me and I tell them who my FFL is, or what?

nalioth
October 9, 2008, 09:46 PM
Will do. While we are on the subject of ordering from them, how do I go about doing it? I know I need an FFL and know who I want to use, but do I order the firearm first then they call me and I tell them who my FFL is, or what?

1) have your FFL send his license to Henderson's

2) pick up the phone, call Henderson with your credit card in hand. Order what you want. Have them send it to you c/o your FFL.

3) Advise your FFL you have a firearm inbound, so he won't send it back.

4) pick it up when it arrives

5) have fun

TexAg
October 9, 2008, 10:18 PM
Quick question: can you put an east german side folder on an AK with a standard stock without replacing the rear reunion?

nalioth
October 9, 2008, 10:27 PM
Quick question: can you put an east german side folder on an AK with a standard stock without replacing the rear reunion?As has already been answered in this thread, yes.

TexAg
October 9, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks naolith, nice keeping it highroad there. I knew you could go one way, I just wanted to make sure you could go the other.

MAX100
October 9, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have been working with a wire side folder stock and I have found a very low cost way to make it more comfortable and give a much better cheek weld. Just as good or better than a ACE skeleton folder. It looks nice and is much better than the paracord wrap. I plan to do a post on it with pictures soon.

It will change how most feel about the wire folders. Don't anyone sale your wire folder yet.

GC

If you enjoyed reading about "AK buttstocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!