More than one bullseye powder?

PDA

Cypress
October 9, 2008, 09:29 PM
Sent my buddy to go get powder and primers for some reloading I am helping him with. I had asked him to get Bullseye. When he returned he asked if he had the correct Bullseye. I sarcastically asked if it said Bullseye. He said yes but that there were several different kinds of Bullseye. I called BS but he insisted. He got the right one and said it was the one that had pistol written on it. Now he has me wandering. SOOOOOOOOO...... Is there more than one kind of Bullseye?

If you enjoyed reading about "More than one bullseye powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nambu1
October 9, 2008, 09:47 PM
I only know 1 Bullseye powder. The only difference would be the containers. They have changed over time.

Galil5.56
October 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
Power Pistol is also known as "Bullseye 84", and I am under the impression there are others "Bullseye" named non canister grade propellants used by commercial ammo makers.

ReloaderFred
October 9, 2008, 10:50 PM
Galil5.56 is correct, but as he pointed out, those others are bulk powders, and not canister powders, which are the ones available to the retail public.

Have your friend point out the other powders to you when you're next at the store. I'm pretty sure you'll find only one "Bullseye" powder.

Hope this helps.

Fred

grendelbane
October 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
There is only one canister grade Bullseye on the market today. A little over a century ago, Laflin & Rand produced another one, but I do believe that there specs were identical, just that the Bullseye #2 was purposely manufactured, whereas Bullseye#1 was the "sweepings" from production of shotgun powder.

When I first read this, I pictured guys sweeping the floors of the powder factory and loading it into cartridges.:what:

Lots of history on the old powders in Philip Sharpe's book on handloading. Very fascinating subject.

sargenv
October 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
Well at one time it was "Hercules" Bullseye and now it's "Alliant" Bullseye.

I just had someone give me 2 cans of the older "Hercules" branded Bullseye. :)

ReloaderFred
October 10, 2008, 01:20 PM
It's the same powder. Alliant bought the entire Hercules powder line some years ago. I just finished off my last 8 lb. can of Hercules Bullseye.

Fred

Cypress
October 10, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure he is mistaken. Thanks for the input.

rcmodel
October 10, 2008, 03:02 PM
There is no doubt he is mistaken!

Many of the Allient powder cans look pretty similar though, except for the color & the words.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/product_catalog.htm

Maybe he is a speed-reader! :rolleyes:

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "More than one bullseye powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!