Date of Mfg. for a Browning FN Safari?

PDA

Meatco
October 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
I have a .270 Browning Safari that I would like to date.

A few days ago, I was asked when it was made, and what year I bought it.

Seems to me I bought it just before leaving for Viet Nam in 1963, but it could have been when I was on leave. In any case, I fired 5 shots to sight it in, then stuck it in my Dad's safe for safekeeping, and promptly forgot about it.

My father passed away not long ago, and when cleaning the safe, I pulled it out for the first time in 45+ years.

After looking it over, I thought I would change out the scope (replacing the old Redfield Wide View), when a friend stopped by. Of course it looks like new, as it was only fired 5 times 45 years ago. So, he wanted to know when it was made. I started to answer, but realized I couldn't actually remember what year I bought it. I think I bought it back in 62, but my memory these days isn't the best

The serial #661xx L74.

Anyone have a clue as to date of Mfg?

Thanks,

Richard

If you enjoyed reading about "Date of Mfg. for a Browning FN Safari?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
October 10, 2008, 06:15 PM
Richard, sorry but the serial number doesn't seem to match up to the browning book, they show the last SN in 1974 (probable date of manufacture)was 66685L74.

SN's in the early 60's should be something like Lxxxxxx, then starting in 1962 they started with 2Lxxxxx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Date of Mfg. for a Browning FN Safari?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!