Just a little something I whipped up for the THR crew

PDA

lencac
October 10, 2008, 11:31 PM
03's FOREVER !!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Just a little something I whipped up for the THR crew" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff F
October 11, 2008, 12:59 AM
Nice!!

jordan1948
October 11, 2008, 01:03 AM
Wow that's awesome, is the stock original and just refinished or is it new or what? Everything on it looks great.

chriso
October 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
Thats a BEAUTIFUL rifle. I have always wanted a 1903 where can you buy a good shooting 03? it's been one of my dreams to get one!!! im truly envious of your rifle!!! Hows it shoot?

lencac
October 11, 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys :) This thing started out as a $125 orphan receiver. Everything with the exception of having the barrel installed by my superb gunsmith and having the metal refinished, everything else I did. Is a new unissued mil-spec scant stock. It has been bedded for optimum performance with a full military stock. If you notice it is walnut, but quite a bit lighter than the older mil-spec stocks which were very dark, almost black walnut. Because after a while all the black walnut trees were busy shooting Nazis and Japs. Anyway, a very nicely matched handguard. I did not stain the wood. It was dry, unoiled, still in the wrap when I got it. Looked almost ashen. I only thing I did was a very light sanding with 220 and then rubb down with 000 steelwool, wipe it down with damp cloth, let dry, Very lightly resand and steelwool, wipe down with tac cloth, and then start rubbing down with unboiled linseed oil. These pics are after only twice rubbing it down with oil. After a number of rub downs the wood starts to get a almost 3D thing going on as the woodgrain get more brought out. The barrel is a Krieger mil-spec match barrel. The bolt lugs and receiver was seated and lapped. Timney competition trigger, 1.5 lb. pull. Leupold 6-18 VariX II target scope.
Does it shoot? You tell me.
These are the very first 5 shots out of it at 100yrds. off the bench after only bore sighting it and just making 2 adjustments to the scope.. The other 2 are from differnet days and times. 168gr. SMK, 56.5 gr. Reloder 19, perfectly prepped Lake City Match brass. Perfect conditions. What do you think?

lencac
October 11, 2008, 11:57 AM
Here's one more Lencac Creation. It's a Remington 1903A3 which also was an orphan receiver. All put together the same old fashioned way, TLC. This one sports an out-of-this-world dark walnut stock. **** something that looks that good should be eatable. I call it the Chocolate Vat finish. This is a correct brand new Remington 2 groove barrel stamped, RA 7-44. It also sports a 2.5 lb. Timney Comp. trigger. And no, it's only resting on the bipod, no stud in the wood. It shoots way better than my eyes can see this type of sight. Nevertheless it appears in the hands of a competant shooter it's a one shot, one kill rifle.
I must say IMHO the 03's of any type, in it's pristine condition are the top of the heap for turn of the century military technology. These things are spectacular in this condition!

lencac
October 11, 2008, 12:26 PM
Here's a few more pics.

HB
October 11, 2008, 02:05 PM
Why is there a leach crawling out of your barrel?

HB

308sc
October 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
lol a cosmoline tape worm

twofourthree73
October 11, 2008, 04:05 PM
Sweet. I had a 1903 that I sold to my uncle. I've regretted it ever since, mainly because I sold it to him way to cheap.

natescout
October 11, 2008, 04:24 PM
nice rifle , looks great

The Bushmaster
October 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
Nice...But you need to do something about those dandilions...

rrflyer
October 11, 2008, 09:47 PM
you couldn't tell me where you got the reciever from and a ballpark of how much you got into this thing could you?

I think I'm in love with that rifle!

lencac
October 11, 2008, 10:25 PM
The receivers I found randomly at gun shows. In all honesty neither of these were cheap to build. The scoped 03 which I like to call the Lencac Sniper Series, I'd say I have $1500 in it including everything as you see it but not accounting for time spent.
The 03A3 I'd say I got $900 in it. I call it the Lencac Combat Series.
Here's some photos of the same sniper series rifle after I restocked it with a C-Type (pistol grip) stock. I polished the bolt to easy in operation (smoother) and to better hide obvious wear from extensive use:). I lowered the scope to where it is literally only .075 in. off the barrel. The scope centerline is only 1/2 higher than the Mil-spec peep sight set at 200 yrds. This requiered that I inlet the handguard to clear the scope bell. Here's what it looks like today. There's hundreds of rds, difference in the two versions of the same rifle. I've shot this one a bunch. The pics at the top are the day I got done putting it all together for the first time, before I ever pulled the trigger with ammo in the chamber. Wanna see what I used the other stock for?

MartinS
October 11, 2008, 11:25 PM
Sweet mother, I need a cigarette.
If I could get to you I would take it.

lencac
October 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
Where you going to take it ?:scrutiny:

lencac
October 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
This is using the same scant stock as in the pics at the top ofthe page. This is a Lencac Sniper H Series:) I had to rescue it from the pound, it had been molested by Bubba:o It's a Smith Corona with the original 4 groove barrel and a perfect bore and rifling. The only thing I could use was the bolt, receiver and barrel. The rest I had to find. But everything that was there was really nice.
It had post tramatic stress syndrome when I got it home. We had a talk. I redressed her in traditional clothes. Now she's happy. I call this one "Bang Ding".
That's a Millett Tactical 4-16X56 with a Mil-dot reticle. After a couple of shots to get it set it will ring our gong at 600 yrds. virtually every time you pull the trigger properly. The gong is the top 18 inches of an actylene tank hung by chain. Just kinda shows you how accurate American combat rifles can be.

lencac
October 12, 2008, 04:31 PM
Here's a few pic I found of "things".

MartinS
October 12, 2008, 07:44 PM
Home.

Was the bolt polished when you got it? Does the polished bolt operate slicker than the issue finish? Beautiful photos.

lencac
October 13, 2008, 12:17 AM
I do the polish work on the bolts. And yeah allows smoother operation. The ring on the bolt for retaining the extracter is usually where there is some drag on the bolt in the receiver.

rrflyer
October 13, 2008, 12:43 AM
very nice...now you got me shopping!

SSN Vet
October 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
Beautiful job!

Just goes to show, they build some fine rifles back then.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
Holy crap - it's a bee-yoot AND a shooter, bigtime. I'm not worthy.... :) :p

lencac
October 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=398626

If you enjoyed reading about "Just a little something I whipped up for the THR crew" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!