Remington 700 VTR .223rem - 1x9 Twist Bolt Action Triangulated Barrel

PDA

RikSors
October 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
Has anyone had any experience or good luck with this particular rifle? I'd like to know what this rifle is capable of regarding bullets, powders, primers, shells, etc...The only thing I have changed out of the box was to replace the stock with Bell and Carlson (w/ aluminum bed block) to free float the barrel. Need help with some recipes on loads that will at least optimize this type of rifle.

So far I have tried the following with less than acceptable results:

52 grn A Max, Varget (from 22 to 25 grains), Lapua Match Brass, CCI SR

69 grn Sierra HPBT Match, Varget (from 23 to 26 grains), Lapua Match Brass, CCI SR

COAL was .0010 off the lands. Shots were from 100 yards with the better groups at 2inches MOA. Unfortunately, shooting ranges around here are only up to 100 yards.

I had the impression that a 1x9 twist can stabilize heavier bullets as well as lighter bullets.

With the economy spiralling I am under budget to try thousands of recipes. Need insights and advise...any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 VTR .223rem - 1x9 Twist Bolt Action Triangulated Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z-Michigan
October 11, 2008, 12:40 AM
But Gunblast testing got 1 MOA or less with it!! :)

Seriously, though, I'd think 68gr Hornady, 69gr Sierra (which you've already tried), and maybe 75gr Hornady (OTM, not the longer A-Max) would be best options for accuracy.

You might buy a box of quality match ammo loaded with the 69gr Sierra just for comparison. There's no reason it should be better than your handloads, but it might help rule out any issue with the handloads.

I wouldn't expect the 52gr to be great - that's rather light for the 1-9 twist.

RikSors
October 11, 2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks Z-Michigan for the info . Indeed, the heavier of the two gave better results. It looks like my trend is to opt for a heavier bullet. Will try out that 75grn Hornady. Did checked out Gunblast review....308win. might have been a better buy but we'll see...

kcmarine
October 11, 2008, 01:31 AM
Hm... they have a .223 bolt in 1/9"? Awesome.

Ridgerunner665
October 11, 2008, 02:03 AM
2 of them actually...the SPS Tactical in 223 is also 1 in 9" (with a round barrel too)

skinewmexico
October 11, 2008, 05:03 PM
Amazing, Remington is catching up with modern twists. I personally feel that the triangle barrel is for looking cool, not small groups. That's why you don't find triangle barrels on benchrest guns. Heavier bullets are the ticket, try some Bergers.

M1key
October 11, 2008, 05:48 PM
52 Sierra Match BTHP over 23.0 grains of Accurate 2015 will flirt with 1/2 and shoot consistently 3/4 MOA out of my 1:9 ARs all day long...

RevolverMan567
October 11, 2008, 09:47 PM
you may try putting the pressure back on the barrel like it came from the factory, i bet they had them in there for a reason.

floating a barrel isnt the do all end all accuracy trick that most beleive, without proper bedding it can be very detrimental like I found out. I had a 700 243 that had the cheapest syn. stock they made...pt it in a HS Stock that floated the barrel and it shot worse, put it back in the factory tupperware and it went back to sub moa on most groups.

Chuck R.
October 12, 2008, 04:33 PM
It really could be a number of things.

Last week I bought a new REM 700 XCR Compact Tactical in .223 (also a 1:9) and mounted a Leupold 4.5-14X LR scope on it. First couple groups with a scratch handload weren't so hot, about 1-1.75 range. After the 5th group it settled down and is now around .585 to just under .8 MOA. I think either it needed to season some or I needed to get used to it.

Load is:

Nosler 55 grain BT
25.1 of AA2460
WIN WSR

Literally no load development, and I haven't had time to chronograph it yet. Now that it's getting close to deer season I'll let it sit till spring.

Chuck

skinewmexico
October 12, 2008, 05:08 PM
I've heard of some Remington's needing a pressure point. Stick an O-ring under the barrel.

Tactical Rancher
December 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
Related topic: How does this rifle fare when firing milsurp M193, M855, or Mk262 ammo? Anyone actually tried it from the VTR, SPS Tactical, or XCR Compact Tactical?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700 VTR .223rem - 1x9 Twist Bolt Action Triangulated Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!