How about an election sticky?

PDA

fatelk
October 11, 2008, 01:06 AM
Here is my proposal: how about a simple, factual sticky on each forum until the election?

There is a lot of arguing, closed threads, and strong feelings about politics. Ordinarily I agree with a ban on arguing about politics on a forum like this, as we are a diverse crowd with a lot of differing opinions. Coming together to discuss a common interest is a good thing.

Yes, I know how EEVIL Obama is, how inept McCain is, how scary Palin is. I know the lefties are nuts, the right-wingers are crazy, the theocrats are to be feared, etc., etc.. I'm not talking about all that, and I don't want to get into it.

I also know a lot of folks here will be voting for Obama or against McCain/Palin for other reason. That is your right. However, I assume, by membership on this forum, that most folks here value their rights to keep and bear arms. The simple political fact is that if the Dems control the works in DC, we WILL be looking at AWB2 in the next year or two. No, the sky is not going to fall, the gestapo will not go door-to-door rounding us up. However, if/when there is another sensationalized shooting they can make hay out of, Clinton ban X2 will be passed in a hurry. That's all I'm saying.

The reality is, statistically, that although public opinion in general has been turning somewhat in our favor in recent years, the general public as a whole (ignorant as they may be) still favors a ban of some kind on the nebulous "assault weapon" and a new ban is VERY politically viable under certain circumstances.

Personally, a ban on semi-autos would affect me very little, as I'm more into older stuff, and Obama has assured me that he's not going to come after my 30-30 or my muzzleloader, but I happen to think there's more to the second amendment than that.

So, in short, I would like to see a simple, factual statement regarding the likely political consequences of giving the Democrats full control. I think this would actually cut down on some of the bickering.

Please don't respond with opinions and rants. Voting Obama for other reasons? Go ahead, nobody's stopping you. Just be aware of the consequences here. Your other political issues are not relevant to the topic at hand. Personally I suspect there are a number of anti-gun trolls around that post some of this stuff, given just how anti-gun Obama and especially Biden really are.

As for myself, I will be voting NObama for these and other equally-important reasons, as well as actively educating everyone I know as to what his politics really are.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about an election sticky?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
p2000sk
October 11, 2008, 01:13 AM
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/

There ya go.

fatelk
October 11, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, I know how EEVIL Obama is, how inept McCain is, how scary Palin is. I know the lefties are nuts, the right-wingers are crazy, the theocrats are to be feared, etc., etc.. I'm not talking about all that, and I don't want to get into it.

I've been to APS; not interested. All it is is a bunch of people arguing about this type of garbage. We'll never get anywhere with this.

I thought, though I'm realizing I must have been mistaken, that most folks here would be interested in preserving our second amendment rights.

I'm not asking for an endorsement, just a factual explanation of where the candidates stand, and (based on their record) what they are likely to do in office. The simple, undeniable fact is that given the chance, a Democrat run congress will pass AWB2, and Obama will sign it.

Will anyone argue that this is not a realistic expectation, should some lunatic do something like Columbine or Virginia Tech, with the resulting media frenzy for gun control?

Am I wrong here? Should we just bury our heads in the sand? Why is there an activism forum on this site? What am I missing?

There are a lot of people that visit this site that are rather ignorant of politics, and blissfully believe Obama because, after all, he's endorsed by the "American Hunters and Shooters Association". A simple sticky will give them the facts.

Please, someone reply with an intelligent argument showing me my mistake.

COMPNOR
October 11, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well Mr Fatelk, if you had bothered to look around, you would see there already is a sticky about the Candidate's voting records on Firearms.

Its one of the top ones in the Activism thread.

I see no reason for more. We don't need individual members giving their own opinions on the subject as fact.

And because I'm such a nice guy, here is the link: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=387671

fatelk
October 11, 2008, 03:39 PM
Thank you, that is the kind of thing I was looking for. Somehow I missed it.

I get frustrated by the ho-hum attitude many folks have regarding what appears to be in store for this country, but any discussion of it inevitably degenerates into political nonsense.

I see no reason for more. We don't need individual members giving their own opinions on the subject as fact.

I apologize if I'm misreading your tone, but methinks I detect some condescension in your reply. Are you a moderator here, some kind of authority?:scrutiny:

OK, I got it off my chest, got no intelligent response other than essentially "Shut up", so from now on I will simply continue to come here for what I always have; good info on old guns and reloading.

Sorry to bother y'all.

COMPNOR
October 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
I apologize if I'm misreading your tone, but methinks I detect some condescension in your reply.

Oh quite probably. I can have a very arrogant and superior attitude. I try and keep it in check, but sometimes it just comes out.

However, you said:

we WILL be looking at AWB2 in the next year or two

Clinton ban X2 will be passed in a hurry. That's all I'm saying.

Oh and this:

The simple, undeniable fact is that given the chance, a Democrat run congress will pass AWB2, and Obama will sign it.

You don't know that. However likely it might be, however scary it might look, even if its a better than half chance, you just do not know. Or are you a politician? A lobbyist? Do you have some insider info?

If you're not, and you don't, such talk is merely your opinion on the matter.

And while it might not be a complete "the sky is falling, black helicopters are going to start flying over your house, blacksuits repelling down and taking all your guns", its in that direction.

So unless you weren't meaning your opinion to come across as fact, I'll repeat what I said.

We don't need individual members giving their own opinions on the subject as fact.

Looking back, I am a bit testy. But it just irks me when its clearly stated no politics, and yet some joe schmoe comes along and posts a thread about it.

So if I'm taking it out on you, I apologize. I'm not trying to.

fatelk
October 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
But it just irks me when its clearly stated no politics, and yet some joe schmoe comes along and posts a thread about it.

From "Changes at THR" sticky:

Political topics related to furthering RKBA go into Activism Discussion forum -- provided they are accompanied by plans of action. Mere griping is no longer appropriate for THR. If you want to discuss an injustice or a political development, propose a remedy that can actually be followed by fellow members!

Where does it clearly say no politics? I believe that my idea was within this guideline.

Quote:
The simple, undeniable fact is that given the chance, a Democrat run congress will pass AWB2, and Obama will sign it.

You don't know that. However likely it might be, however scary it might look, even if its a better than half chance, you just do not know. Or are you a politician? A lobbyist? Do you have some insider info?

How is a politician's or lobbyist's opinion any more fact than mine?
I have another opinion: if you corner and try to pet a rabid dog, it will bite you. That is what they do. That is a fact.
Look at the people who have brought Obama to where he is. These are serious power players who are all rabidly anti-gun. George Soros, international gun ban proponent extraordinaire, is a prime example. I could go into much more depth, but this is not the place for it. In fact, I'm irritated that I gave in and typed this reply after saying I was done with it. Perhaps this should even be closed as OT for technical support.

Adios, have a good one.

COMPNOR
October 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
Political topics related to furthering RKBA go into Activism Discussion forum -- provided they are accompanied by plans of action. Mere griping is no longer appropriate for THR. If you want to discuss an injustice or a political development, propose a remedy that can actually be followed by fellow members!

If your proposal/plan of action was a sticky of candidate's stances on gun control, as I pointed out there already is one.

So what's the problem? Otherwise, I see nothing but a rant, someone trying to pass off opinion as fact. But hey, whatever. Adios.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about an election sticky?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!