Ever watch CSI?

PDA

redneck
January 14, 2003, 09:12 PM
Flipping through the channels last night and came across 2 women doing an autopsy. First one pulls a slug out of the body and hands it over to the other. She holds it up for a closer look with the tweezers. And even though it appears to the viewer, to be just a small misshapen hunk of lead, it apparently has a whole story written on it :D

"hmmm, 2 2 3 caliber." "from a hunting rifle" "the bullet was homemade/self molded" (can't remember exact wording) "so this was definitely a reload"
....puts in evidence bag.

WOW. She eyeballed the thing and got all that.
Being bored, I didn't change the channel. Got to see them solve the case and of course she was absolutely right.

....the victim had been shot from near contact range, and the bullet was still in him, in one peice, and still had its life story printed on the base too! :D

I'll definitely tune in next week to see what else I can learn about the art of crime fighting. Just look at all the wonderful info from this episode:rolleyes:

I know I know its TV, what do you expect. But what the hell, the whole show is supposed to be about high tech crime fighting, and what they actually showed was about one step above a call to miss cleo....

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever watch CSI?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DeltaElite
January 14, 2003, 09:19 PM
As I said in another thread.
Sounds anti to me.
I wouldn't watch CSI even if court ordered. ;)

Airwolf
January 14, 2003, 09:34 PM
I’ve watched almost NO network (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB or UPN) shows since 1998. Every time I happen to stop on one for a few moments just to check it out, I can feel my intelligence and common sense being sucked from my body as if trapped in a giant vacuum cleaner nozzle.

It scares the hell out of me to know that MILLIONS of people watch this :cuss: and to make it worse, think that it MEANS SOMETHING!

notbubba
January 14, 2003, 11:46 PM
I had the misfortune of watching part of that POS show, the one I saw had the "meat bullet":scrutiny:

Mal H
January 14, 2003, 11:48 PM
Well at least she didn't say it was "from an assault rifle." If she had said that and followed it with, "a Bushmaster", then you would really know she's good! I wonder if she could distinquish a bullet I fired in a .223 vs one I fired in a 22-250. Hey lady! It's the same bullet! She must have all the twist rates memorized. Sheesh.

I have watched the show a few times and am always surprised at how involved in the cases these CSI folks get. They even interrogate suspects while the "real" detectives sit in the background. Uh huh, right.

New_comer
January 15, 2003, 12:19 AM
Nope

ed dixon
January 15, 2003, 12:53 AM
Haven't watched it enough to suss out its politics. Saw maybe one full show and it was... zzzzzzzzzzzz. America's favorite show I hear.:rolleyes:

Big_R
January 15, 2003, 02:03 AM
I love CSI, both of them. Science fascinates me. If it's the episode I'm thinking of, the reason the "ballistics expert" determined it was a reload was because it was a .223 lead bullet. Later in the show, it is revealed the dead guy worked in the sewer systems and carried that round for gator protection so that if a shot overpenetrated, it would be less likely to damage plumbing.

I do have one complaint, though. In a different episode, they found a dead guy with a gun shot to the chest. One of the actors went on and on about how huge that hole was. It turned out it was supposed to be from a .50AE Desert Eagle, but I would like to know how someone is going to notice the difference of an entrance wound from that and say a .45ACP. They never looked at the exit hole.

Ryan

DeputyVaughn
January 15, 2003, 02:05 AM
While I find CSI entertaining. It's the worst thing to happen to real police work in a long while. Before I was put in charge of warrants, every time I went out on a burglary or other crime, the victims were astonished to discover that I was the CSI "team" sent to investigate. Where's the van, the print technicians, the DNA guys?????????? People really believe these teams of people are in EVERY department.

Scott

Carlos
January 15, 2003, 02:39 AM
Yup, Deputy, just shows ya how stupid people can, and will be.

cratz2
January 15, 2003, 03:48 AM
Every time I happen to stop on one for a few moments just to check it out, I can feel my intelligence and common sense being sucked from my body as if trapped in a giant vacuum cleaner nozzle.

We must be brothers seperated at birth... :scrutiny:

Bruz
January 15, 2003, 06:10 AM
Bout the only thng I watch on TV is FOX NEWS, that and the OUTDOOR channel.

PCRCCW
January 15, 2003, 07:19 AM
You know...this could turn into a 9mm vs 45 thread :rolleyes: :D
CSI actually is a pretty entertaining show...guys (and gals) you gotta remember its hollywood. In all honesty...just getting into forensics...hobby/curiosity...its not a bad show.
If you guys are serious enough about this stuff....to post a thread like this....(not a flame:neener: )
Check out this little link....I think youll like it.....
http://www.firearmsid.com/
Shoot well......(you'd better..they can tell if you didnt)

stans
January 15, 2003, 07:48 AM
I watch CSI (not CSI Miami) every week. I find it very entertaining and much of the science is sound. Some of it, namely the frozen hamburger bullet, is, well, Hollywood at its finest. I do find the show very entertaining and I try to figure out "who done it?" I rarely get the right suspect.

Steve in PA
January 15, 2003, 08:24 AM
I watch it with a grain of salt. I prefer the one set in Vegas over the Miami one, mainly because I can't stomach the idiot actor in charge of the Miami one.

Its entertainment......pure and simple.....loaded with crap, but what on tv isn't???

Joe Demko
January 15, 2003, 08:28 AM
Its entertainment......pure and simple.....loaded with crap, but what on tv isn't???

The Nudity Channel (All Nudity! All the Time!)

Steve in PA
January 15, 2003, 08:47 AM
Gotta get me that satelite dish!!!!

RikWriter
January 15, 2003, 09:52 AM
You were NOT watching "CSI" if it was Monday night, you were watching "CSI: Miami," which is a HORRIBLE show with lousy acting, plotting and dialogue. CSI comes on Thursday nights and is a much better show.

Shooter 2.5
January 15, 2003, 10:31 AM
what about the other case?

The murdered woman was 7 weeks pregnant and they made a huge deal about it.

I was wondering if they are equally upset about abortion?

Kinda doubt it. Woman's choice, doncha know.

Shooter 2.5
January 15, 2003, 10:36 AM
Steve, the only good thing about CSI:Miami is the black lady who does the autopsies. The gun "expert" can't shoot, The woman from NYPD, Blue is off the show, the main actor chews up the scerary, the other men have no personalities.
The only redeeming quality of the show are the graphics.

Kevlarman
January 15, 2003, 03:34 PM
I prefer Quincy, ME.

Airwolf
January 15, 2003, 03:39 PM
Ah! Now THERE was a good show! Story, drama, humor and characters that were intresting and that you cared about.

dairycreek
January 15, 2003, 04:10 PM
There have been some unfortunate homicides here in Oregon lately which received a lot of media attention. One of Portland's enterprising TV channels interviewed several real-life CSI folk who work for real-life crime labs. They were asked about the CSI series and how it compared to that which they did. They (the real-life forensic investigators) all agreed the the what the shows portrayed was so far from what they did that there was absolutely no comparison possible. Not much real on TV. Good shooting:)

Redlg155
January 15, 2003, 05:06 PM
"hmmm, 2 2 3 caliber." "from a hunting rifle" "the bullet was homemade/self molded" (can't remember exact wording) "so this was definitely a reload"
....puts in evidence bag.

I just want to know what kind of guy goes through the trouble of casting a .223 bullet for reloading.

1. It would be a pain in the butt to cast them that small.
2. You couldn't drive one fast enough to hunt with. It just doesn't have the bullet weight needed to kill without using speed.
3. .223 bullets and factory ammo are dirt cheap!

That definitely has my mind messed up.

Good Shooting
RED

redneck
January 15, 2003, 05:42 PM
He was only tryin to kill attackin gators in the sewer......wouldn't a .223 with lead bullets be your first choice for that? Not like its thick skinned predator, tryin to tear you in half ;)

Even if the logic was sound that it was a reload because it was a cast/molded bullet....you can't pull one out of a body an eyeball it like that.

Did anyone catch the part where the woman was shooting the priest (with said .223 hunting rifle with reloads) thinking back through it all, it looked like it was a mini 14. And she pulled the charging handle for every shot.

Sorry if I offended any fans of the true CSI, didn't realize there was such a huge difference between it and CSI miami. Don't they have the same producer/writers:confused: Don't think I'll bother watchin either one.

dadman
January 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
Yes, every Thurs., the one in Las Vegas.

One of the news programs did a piece on a woman who is a retired LA area LEA CSI. She is a consultent for the writers of CSI. The writers and her say that some of the things portrayed on the show aren't realistic. They sometimes have to bend the rules to wrap up a case in an hour episode.
Good entertainment which gives some spotlight to behind the scenes investigative work.

thaddeus
January 15, 2003, 09:05 PM
I watched it up until they did the "sniper" episode where they had some white militia guy "hiding" on the concrete roooftops in a Ghillie suit, making mile-long shots murdering people. They were playing off the Beltway Shooters, but using the classic WASP Militia guy using sniper gear. It was so unrealistic as well as offensive, I never watched either CSI show again.

One thing that always bugged me was how they took completely blurry out-of-focus images and just "tuned them in" to get a perfect image of someone's face or license!

PeacefulWarrior
January 16, 2003, 08:06 PM
I second what Deputy Vaughn said!
The public thinks that for every crime the lasers and the fancy equipment come out!
Most of the smaller and mid-sized Law Enforcment agecies around the country have nowhere near the equipment and manpower they have on C.S.I.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever watch CSI?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!