cheap, easy, homemade reactive targets

PDA

peetee32
October 11, 2008, 10:26 AM
im looking for some new target ideas. i am spending a weekend at my friends cabin, where we shoot all day, grill, drink and play poker all night.

normally i pack a bunch of shoot-n-c paper targets, some balloons, i have a .22 spinner target, i bring a bunch of large paper targets, etc.

im looking for some fun things to shoot at besides paper and cans that are reactive. im looking for cheap easy and fun, and hopefully easy cleanup. (i hate cleaning up balloon pieces!)

-various fruit and veggies? (fun but wasteful)
-envelopes/paper bags filled with flour? (puff of smoke when nailed)
-ice blocks
-eggs

i'll be shooting my .357 S&W 686p, my Ruger 10/22 and Savage 30-06 but we'll have all kinds of guns showing up im sure.

any ideas/tricks out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "cheap, easy, homemade reactive targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arkie
October 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
Crackers are good to use. No mess to clean up cause the critters will eat up the leftovers.

Atticus
October 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
clay pigeons

Crazy Fingers
October 11, 2008, 10:59 AM
With the price of clays these days, I almost can't stand to buy a case to shoot. Most places are $9 - $13 for a case of 90!! That's insane!

Pine cones work, especially when they aren't open all the way.

If you don't care how your range ends up looking, you can also go around on trash day in a truck and pick up all sorts of stuff off the side of the road. We used to shoot all kinds of children's toys, and once found a box full of soccer trophies. It's fun to shoot the man off the pedestal.

Armed 24/7
October 11, 2008, 11:00 AM
Big Ice cubes, Clay pigeons, and fruit and veggies...

joshk-k
October 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
"various fruit and veggies? (fun but wasteful)"

The produce store near me has compost bins around the back that are available for the public to rummage through. They are good about separating stuff that's probably still edible, and welcome people to take whatever they want. I go there and get greens for my chickens and half-rotten tomatoes/lemons/squash/etc. for shooting at. See if you could find somewhere like that, because then you'll have an endless supply.

Josh

AZAndy
October 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
Ginger snaps!

MIL-DOT
October 11, 2008, 11:04 AM
Beer cans filled with water work well, I'm sure you have some of those lying around !:D

Flyboy
October 11, 2008, 11:25 AM
Charcoal briquettes. Spoiled fruit (hey, it was going to be thrown away anyhow). Neco wafers.

On the more expensive side, I've always wanted a duelling tree, and somebody to shoot with.

bensdad
October 11, 2008, 11:49 AM
Golf balls - both real and plastic - can be made to travel when you hit them. I just toss a handful out in front of me at the range and go to town with my Buckmark or my S&W22A. It's a nice warmup for the pepper poppers and the real guns.

Alexfubar
October 11, 2008, 11:54 AM
How about "off brand " gas station soda pop ? Seems they usually have a ! Case for 4 Bucks ! sale going on at end off season ...

Shake 'em up real good and zap em with the biggest fastest round you own.
Afterwards you can plink the blown up empty cans with your .22's

BruceRDucer
October 11, 2008, 11:57 AM
/

Crackers are good to use.

ha ha ha.....I'm guffawing out loud!

That's a good one, cracker's WILL work, come to think of it. They explode, and squirrels like'em too!

We're using crackers next time for sure! Perfect little

.22 targets you betcha.:neener::neener::neener::neener:

Imagine useing an entire Box of Loose Cracker for a 12 guage target!

/

wally
October 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
I like the plastic soda bottles, they don't break up into tiny pieces, can take lots of hits and react nicely when hit. If you hit the dirt below where a two liter bottle (empty) sits with a .308 you can launch it 30-40' feet in the air and do it again where lands next. Great fun and visually appealing to the bystanders.

--wally.

zoom6zoom
October 11, 2008, 01:37 PM
They explode, and squirrels like'em too!
The squirrels make good targets too.

Ramone
October 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.crackerthrower.com/

Believe it or not

Dksimon
October 11, 2008, 02:10 PM
that cracker thrower is a good idea

MGshaggy
October 11, 2008, 02:13 PM
Campaign buttons.

igpoobah
October 11, 2008, 02:19 PM
I save milk jugs and fill tham w/ colored water.

BruceRDucer
October 11, 2008, 02:46 PM
Cracker Throwers? :what::what:

r u kidding me? LOL....I'm getting one.

So....where can I get the SQUIRREL THROWER?

/:what::what::what::what::what::what::scrutiny::scrutiny:

cskelly
October 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
Paintballs (cheap ones from Wal-Mart)

Lots of fun when hit and not to pricey. Also they are enviro safe!

Deanimator
October 11, 2008, 03:37 PM
1. Empty two liter pop bottles - Shot a LOT of those when I was in the Army.

2. Empty plastic milk jugs.

3. When I was in the Army, I bought a set of miniature iron silhouettes, pig, turkey, etc. You don't want to shoot them with jacketed rounds going too fast, but they'll stand up to .44 Special and Magnum cast bullets all day long, with only lead smears.

4. AOL type free CDs. They're shiny and blow up well. A guy in usenet made himself a rig that would release them down a track made in a board, when he pulled on a lanyard. It's a good way to get rid of country and rap CDs if someone should give you one as a gift.

texfed
October 11, 2008, 03:51 PM
Cheap reactive targets..hmmmmm.......

1) al kaeda
2) taliban
:D

wally
October 11, 2008, 03:51 PM
Unless they've changed the material (possible now than 56X drives started breaking disks) I was very disappointed by the lack of reaction from a pile of CDs I'd set out as targets at our Y2K shoot-a-thon. Little more than cardboard -- holes appeared, that was it.

--wally.

rondog
October 11, 2008, 03:52 PM
I met a guy once that swears by gluing Vanilla Wafers onto sheets of cardboard for targets. They're small enough to be a challenge, they explode well when hit, they're biodegradable and require no cleanup, and when you hit one the others stay put becasue they're glued in place.

Of course, the BEST in my opinion is water-filled soda cans. I could shoot those all day long. Tend to scatter debris though.

crackhead
October 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
Zombies?

Urbana John
October 11, 2008, 04:11 PM
Try the really cheap suckers, they have a the "target stand" already!!

Urbana John
October 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
Try the really cheap suckers, they come with a "target stand"!!

NavajoNPaleFace
October 11, 2008, 04:17 PM
Might want to shoot all them targets now.

The Democrats may also outlaw targets if Obama gets in. :D

I support any target where only boidegradeable items are used or where people take every speck of their other debris with them!

rondog
October 11, 2008, 04:18 PM
Try the really cheap suckers, they come with a "target stand"!!

I had to think about that a minute, you're talking about the little cheapo lollipops, right? Not a bad idea! Those could be stapled all along the edge of a board setup between two sawhorses. Sticking up and hanging down. With cans all along on the top of the board.

Man, I can think of TONS of things to shoot!

JackBurtonJr
October 11, 2008, 04:57 PM
Animal crackers...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. You get all the benefits that have already been mentioned for crackers, plus if you set them out at the proper "cracker to real animal ratio" range you can actually pretend you're on a big time safari.:p

Billll
October 11, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have 3 of these that I made from 1/2" rebar from Home Depot, and a couple of pieces of 2" x 4" x 1/8" steel square tubing for clangers. Any size tubing will do. Mine are welded, but you could use safety wire. Drill the hole you're pivoting your clangers through about 1/2" below the CG, and they will hang straight after being spun.
Done right, a .22 will spin the things, and a high-power pistol will do no more than dent them. The holes in mine came from high-power rifles.
They push easily into the ground, and are easy to carry, as they have their own 'handles'.

JackBurtonJr
October 11, 2008, 05:03 PM
Flies...

Here's how you do it. Get piece of cardboard and dab a good smear of juice from a package of meat across the front. Let it sit out for about 20 minutes to begin to attact the critters.

When a fly lands - boom!

Best done with a .22 as that leaves evidence of a hit behind as a ring around the hole. Anything bigger than that kinda obliterates the target.

skyflyer
October 11, 2008, 05:08 PM
this is October right?

nice big pumpkins, my kids love them.:)

theotherwaldo
October 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hey, BruceRDucer!

Here's your squirrel thrower at another forum: http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=152121&highlight=squirrel

peetee32
October 11, 2008, 06:09 PM
great suggestions everyone! i like the cookies/crackers glued to cardboard idea...

i really like the home made rebar target...i might try to put one together for next years trip!

The Freeholder
October 12, 2008, 01:28 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned balloons.

I like the paintball idea--I'll have to price those.

peetee32
November 4, 2008, 12:32 AM
what is the average price for a box (case?) of clay targets? whats the cost per clay?

has anyone ever tried baking their own clay targets? something like this:

Step1
Mix 4 c. flour, 1 c. salt, some food coloring and enough water to moisten.
Step2
Mix the ingredients, adding water until you have the desired consistency. The clay should be stiff but still hold together when rolled into a ball.
Step3
dry the objects after they have been shaped by baking in the oven at 200 degrees F for about 10 minutes.

i was thinking of baking some clay sized targets that would explode when shot. obviously i won't be lanuching these in the air, they'd be hanging from wire or whatever....
what do you think? cheaper then buying clays?

woolfam
November 4, 2008, 01:41 AM
Eggs explode.

Ritz crackers - if you hit them just right you can leave them intact w/ a bullet hole in them.

I've hung cinnamon hard candies up by the wrapper. If you shoot up-wind, you can smell the cinnamon when you hit them.

I've done the fly thing mentioned in a previous post - that was FUN!

RaisedByWolves
November 4, 2008, 02:03 AM
Get yourself some ballons, an OXY Acetelene setup and some tracers........

jackdanson
November 4, 2008, 02:06 AM
You guys might want to be quiet, if they start banning targets that would now include crackers, animal crackers, dumdum pops, and soda!! What will the children eat!?!

The Janitor
November 4, 2008, 02:10 AM
I like to help the environment by speeding up the biodegradability process of beer bottles left in the desert by blasting them into a zillion pieces. :D

Most of the time, the 'targets' are already in a remote/discreet area. Less gear to haul. The very definition of symbiosis. :)

mordechaianiliewicz
November 4, 2008, 02:20 AM
A milk jug filled with water. Most of the time, especially at closer ranges is pretty obvious.

jeepmor
November 4, 2008, 02:22 AM
has anyone ever tried baking their own clay targets?

If you can make them like Mom maid pancakes in my youth, they'll hold up to the clay pigeon thrower.

qajaq59
November 4, 2008, 05:51 AM
If you and your friends are good shots use pennies.

Flame Red
November 4, 2008, 09:24 AM
I am surprised no one mentioned Tannerite!

Oh, never mind. I am sure that is on Obomination's ban list too.

MIL-DOT
November 4, 2008, 09:40 AM
We used to shoot our pellet rifles at night off the deck at a plastic milk jug with a chem-light dropped inside. Hang it from a string or wire between two trees, and a hit is very visible and audible.

BSlacker
November 4, 2008, 09:43 AM
Shaving Cream cans are great. Get them on sale. Thrown hit with a shotgun they are spectacular. Hit solid with a .223 they explode. Just check the wind first. :D

crushbup
November 4, 2008, 10:21 AM
Shaving Cream cans are great. Get them on sale. Thrown hit with a shotgun they are spectacular. Hit solid with a .223 they explode. Just check the wind first.

I now must try this.

BSlacker
November 4, 2008, 11:07 AM
The first time I shot a can of cream I was at a public range with five or six others. A young guy there mentioned how good a target it was and wished he had one. I was returning from a trip and had a nearly new small can in the van. He threw the can good and high and I hit it solid with a 12ga. It was spectacular until we realized the wind was blowing the foam towards us. The mad scramble to cover up and close vehicles up was funny as well. It took about a month of cleaning to get the inside of the van clean. :evil:

Carlos Cabeza
November 4, 2008, 02:47 PM
I went to the dollar store and bought several pots and pans.
Then hung them in trees at various heights and distances. Depending on the material they are made of, they make different sounds.

Mr Crowley
November 4, 2008, 04:31 PM
I live on a farm and I rarely go to a range and shoot; I just walk about my back door.
Paper and cans are a pain since you either have to go clean them up or(hides from environmentalists) keep shooting them until they sink.

I found one of these 5lb flat plate weight laying around the garage that used to go on a 1inch weightlifting bar.

We rigged that up where it cant fall over and had some fun trying to shoot through that little 1 inch hold in the center of it with a .22. It's got a nice high-pitched "dink" when you miss the hole and hit the weight. A single weight like that would be cheap at walmart 6-10$.

I guess if you just wanted "reactive" for the sake of it you could pack that center hole full of flour and shoot it out. You should be able to find 5lbs of flour for less than 2bux.

Claude Clay
November 4, 2008, 05:16 PM
Lisa's hotcakes [Green Acres]

FLR72
November 4, 2008, 05:19 PM
Very warm soda with a 30-06 is cool. Freezing water in plastic bottle then cut the bottle away and shoot the ice, thats ok. My favorite is the ammonium nitrate mix you can get in some states.

Taurus92 in KyleTX
November 4, 2008, 05:20 PM
+1 on paintballs.

I've also used the extra orange foam earplugs that I always bring for other shooters.

(of course, not the ones I actually give to people-- that would be dangerous and irresponsible.)

KINGMAX
November 4, 2008, 05:31 PM
Bowling pins suspended with rope, chain or cable, old plastic hard hats found beside the road, exploding targets bought at gun supply stores, old hub caps, fish or hog heads. Use your imagination. (pics of old girl friends that have done you wrong),

If you have a welder in the crowd, get a length of threaded rod, weld some nuts to some flat iron, shoot them make them go up and down on the rod, or either side to side. Some pieces of flat thin steel, fix them whete they will flop over when hit. The little thump or ping sound thay make when hit is cool. We used to have some old cow bells, but the didnt last too long.

Fix up a tic tac toe target, use clay piegons inserted into the holes in the layout.

KINGMAX
November 4, 2008, 05:34 PM
PLUS 1 for claude clay, better watch out for the ricochet, no telling where it will end up at.

Officers'Wife
November 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
Well, if you want TRULY reactive you can try what a less than sane neighbor built when I was growing up...

You take a 55 gallon oil drum, weld a plate with a hole just big enough to accept a 12 ga shotshell. Then you attach a plate on a hinge with a small bolt that rests against the primer. Set the drum at the desired range lift the top plate, insert the shotshell and gently lower the top plate.

If this sounds like a good idea to you get professional help immediately!

Selena

Werewolf
November 4, 2008, 06:13 PM
If this sounds like a good idea to you get professional help immediately!

Wellllll...
Actually...

I hate shooting gongs at long range. Can't hear the hit and usually can't see it.

The setup you describe at 2, 3 or 400 yards would actually work quite well as a reactive target. It'd kind'a suck having to walk out there to reset it every shot but then I'd bet you could put at least 5 plates and shells on the thing. Use 20ga instead of 12 and birdshot. The barrel traps the shot, makes a hell of a WHONGGGGG when set off and the plate flips back up for a decent visual.

Nope...
Don't see the down side there at all assuming the thing is built right.

Werewolf
November 4, 2008, 06:16 PM
Flies...

Here's how you do it. Get piece of cardboard and dab a good smear of juice from a package of meat across the front. Let it sit out for about 20 minutes to begin to attact the critters.

When a fly lands - boom!

Best done with a .22 as that leaves evidence of a hit behind as a ring around the hole. Anything bigger than that kinda obliterates the target.

Seriously? :what:

Assuming you're not kidding (and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because my Uncle could shoot doves on the wing with a 22 and do dime size groups all day at 50 yards with a 22) what range to you shoot at.

If you are kidding then just color me :o

Kentucky Kernel
November 4, 2008, 06:17 PM
I use a funnel to fill balloons with a bit of baby powder, then blow up the balloon. A cool "puff" of "smoke" when hit. Blue or red chaulk powder (used for snapping straight lines) gives colored puffs.

KK

wep45
November 4, 2008, 06:46 PM
milk jugs or laundry detergent bottles half filled with water and swing em from a tree limb

56FordGuy
November 4, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hedge apples are a lot of fun, too.

Officers'Wife
November 4, 2008, 08:40 PM
but then I'd bet you could put at least 5 plates and shells on the thing.

I don't think so, the recoil from the first would either set off one or more of the others. And the barrell would not contain the birdshot without solid bracing behind. Plastic shot or rock salt maybe but even bird shot would have enough velocity to penetrate.

Item last: get professional help!

tpaw
November 4, 2008, 10:25 PM
Moth balls, marbles and jelly beans at 100 yards.

moooose102
November 4, 2008, 10:32 PM
you know, i just had a thought. (i know, that's SCAREY!) what about a quart sized ziplock bag, spray a little spray foam insulation into the bag. as it swells, it will fill the bag. you should be able to make a LOT of 3 d targets with one can, and a box of ziplocks.

Bartkowski
November 4, 2008, 10:38 PM
the barrell would not contain the birdshot without solid bracing behind. Plastic shot or rock salt maybe but even bird shot would have enough velocity to penetrate.

If the there isn't anything around the shotgun shell the shot wouldn't be going very fast. It would need something like a gun barrel to get up to any real speed.

billybobjoe
July 16, 2010, 03:24 AM
Propane cylinder next to a road flare. But only at a very good distance in a very isolate location.

billybobjoe
July 16, 2010, 03:27 AM
Check out the You Tube vids of Heather Le Croix some time. Hot chick that loves a big boom and her 357. One vid she shoots a five gallon can of gas. She says "We're hillbillies, we do this **** all the time, but don't you try it."

billybobjoe
July 16, 2010, 03:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jeff3230, just love these.

billybobjoe
July 16, 2010, 03:34 AM
Now, she's shooting several paint cans with like a .270 to make art which is for sale on ebay.

Powerglide
July 16, 2010, 05:31 AM
Railroad hold-down plates are everywhere. 5x5 size is half inch plate steel. its fun shootin holes thru them with a mosin ball cartridge or whatever.

ms6852
July 16, 2010, 07:50 AM
GOLF BALLS on top of a tee at 200 yds with a 22lr. That a challenge. If plastic golf balls I use a syringe and fill them up with water or soda pop.

thewilbur
July 16, 2010, 08:07 AM
"Used" charcoal briquettes. After cooking with them (before they burn up completely), dump the briquettes in water. Take them out and let them dry. They make great BB and pellet gun targets because they are small, and they powder when you hit them.

JKHolman
July 16, 2010, 08:45 AM
" I like the plastic soda bottles, they don't break up into tiny pieces, can take lots of hits and react nicely when hit. If you hit the dirt below where a two liter bottle (empty) sits with a .308 you can launch it 30-40' feet in the air and do it again where lands next. Great fun and visually appealing to the bystanders. "

--wally.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like to use plastic 1-gallon water jugs (used). I buy alot of these anyway,so like the others here, I found a use for them as targets. As Wally mentioned above, they do not break up [like glass bottles], and are therefore easy to clean up.
Usually I fill to about an inch of water to stabilize them in the wind, and put a square strip of red duct tape on the selected side for a bullseye. Having exhausted the first side, I put tape on the next side for more shooting. Every now and then, I fill a jug to the top with water. One shot and you get a spectacular explosion. And you always have enough left to clean up and leave no evidence or trash about the grounds. Jolly good fun.

- JKHolman

kmcintosh78
July 16, 2010, 08:59 AM
Plastic bottle, milk jugs, OJ jugs, water bottles. Fill 3/4 with water, shove 2-5 alkaselzter tabs in each, and there you go.

If you enjoyed reading about "cheap, easy, homemade reactive targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!