Butt stock shape...

PDA

Furncliff
October 11, 2008, 01:35 PM
For those who have shot both I'd appreciate your input on the differences between the straight comb shape seen on most of our rifles and the european drop comb shape such as on this cx lux:http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main003.png

Thanks

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "Butt stock shape..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff F
October 11, 2008, 01:56 PM
The European drop comb does not lend itself well to mounting optics, it does work well for iron sights.

hksw
October 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
If you are ging to use iron sights, the hog back comb CZ Basic's, Training Rifle's, Special's, Lux's, Ultra Lux's, FS's, Scout's (comb more straight and curved), etc. are the better choice (plus the hogher straigher combed rifles don't usually come with iron sights). If you are going to scope the rifle, the American, Varmint, Silhouette, Style, etc. are the better options.

If you look at the photos of the different guns, you'll notice the hog backed guns' lower comb to allow your eyes to line up with the low sights. Doesn't mean you can't scope them, just that your cheek weld will be not as good as the American styled stocks.

gcrookston
October 11, 2008, 02:03 PM
+1 for Jeff F. It depends on the application. If you are going iron sights, the drop comb is the way to go, if you are mounting optics, then you want a straight comb.

rcmodel
October 11, 2008, 02:33 PM
In addition, the Europien style hump-back stock will knock your socks off
and leave you cross-eyed on hard kicking centerfire calibers! :eek:

rcmodel

SGW42
October 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
I really like the "Euro" style curved combs. I shoot mostly irons, but I also like it aesthetically.

But yeah it hurts in centerfires. Rimfires should be no problem.

browningguy
October 12, 2008, 12:32 AM
I really like the looks of the euro stocks, but as already mentioned they are really made for iron sights, and the recoil gets rugged in larger calibers. I regularly shoot a 458 Winnie with an American style stock with no problems, and once had a lovely trim little pre-war Mauser in 8x57 that was absolutley brutal to shoot. One of the few guns I ever traded away, I could just never get used to shooting it.

stubbicatt
October 12, 2008, 11:25 AM
Sure is pretty...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/IMG_0208.jpg

dirtyjim
October 12, 2008, 02:26 PM
i prefer more drop than most people but most of my guns are built with open sights & q/d scope mounts. i find it easier to use a scope on a stock designed for open sights than to use open sights on a stock that was designed for use with a scope.
i have several rifles in 8mm & 30-06 with alot of drop & steel butt plates, i find them no harder on your shoulder than the standerd american style stocks. if the pitch is right the rifle will recoil up instead of straight back.

i don't care for the cz style humpback i prefer more of a straight prewar style, i also like the grip swept back more & the flutes in the comb on cz's are not very well done

If you enjoyed reading about "Butt stock shape..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!