Reasonable Gun Control?

PDA

wally
October 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=86222&d=1223758855

One of the guns above is illegal. A or B?

Is this "reasonable gun control".

The party that thinks producing a valid ID to vote is "chilling" or intimidating to voters seems to have no trouble making gun owners into accidental felons!

Take the poll for your amusement, not that answers here have any statistical validity :)

The illegal gun no longer exists, being "un-manufactured" shortly after the photo was taken.

Here is an image shack link.
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9435/abreasonablesy7.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abreasonablesy7.jpg)http://img510.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

If you enjoyed reading about "Reasonable Gun Control?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JImbothefiveth
October 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
Are you sure the link's valid? I can't see the picture.

wally
October 11, 2008, 05:19 PM
Here is the link to the photo.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=86217&stc=1&d=1223756736

I saw it in my preview before posting and in the thread now, but didn't see it in the list of my uploads. So I've uploaded it again and changed the link. Not sure what is going on here.

--wally.

Photo name shows in my attachments list now, but thread says "n/a in progress"

JImbothefiveth
October 11, 2008, 05:20 PM
When I click on it, it says invalid attachment specified.

Is it just my computer, or are other people having this problem?

The answer's probably choice 4 anyway, but I won't vote until I see it.

MGshaggy
October 11, 2008, 05:22 PM
Is it just my computer, or are other people having this problem?

Not just you - I got nothing.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
I get the same invalid response.:uhoh:

.cheese.
October 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
no photo and the link says "invalid attachment".

wally
October 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
Site seems broken.

I see the image with this link and the original that I've replaced with this one.

When I tried to upload it a third time I get "Attachment in Progress" The fact that I could upload it a second time meant something went wrong with the first upload, but for some reason I could see the image. Since I can't upload it again it now at least thinks it has it.

--wally.

Vegaslaith
October 11, 2008, 05:35 PM
yup. same here.

JImbothefiveth
October 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
It's still not working. Maybe post a thread in technical, or describe the guns to us.

Bruce333
October 11, 2008, 05:37 PM
or use photobucket, or some other free photo hosting site

The Bushmaster
October 11, 2008, 06:01 PM
Guess I won't be voting on this one...Or maybe a guess. "B"....

denfoote
October 11, 2008, 06:06 PM
Would the mods please change the one vote for "C" and change it to "D"???

CypherNinja
October 11, 2008, 06:07 PM
Huh. The image displayed fine, after I voted.

How's this:
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/cypherninja/ABreasonable.jpg

Further testing of my new PhotoBucket account. ;)
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/cypherninja/800px-ANM2.jpg
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/cypherninja/Kerry_shotgun_2.jpg

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 11, 2008, 06:09 PM

You might want to submit this to the technical support forum, an issue of such magnitude might not wait until a mod sees it in this thread.

TallPine
October 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
D

Probably what is the most illegal is inserting the magazine from B into the rifle in A - but I wouldn't know anything about that ...

wally
October 11, 2008, 06:17 PM
Probably what is the most illegal is inserting the magazine from B into the rifle in A - but I wouldn't know anything about that ...

You are getting warmer... :)

--wally.

jnyork
October 11, 2008, 06:34 PM
"Reasonable gun control" = oxymoron. ;)

TeamPrecisionIT
October 11, 2008, 06:45 PM
So which one is the 'legal' one btw? I am guessing its the bottom one because it has a 'stock' flash-hider, but I don't know anything, lol.

Damian

RyanM
October 11, 2008, 06:50 PM
I guess the bottom one's illegal, because the bayonet is an extra imported part?

Meowhead
October 11, 2008, 06:52 PM
My guess is, the top one's illegal. The magazine is a non-US one, and so the gun breaks the domestic part count law, the name/number of which I can't actually remember?

JImbothefiveth
October 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
I voted once and wasn't sure if it worked. I think both option 2 and option 4 are true.
Unless one of them is full auto (and I suspect they are both the same gun) they SHOULD both be legal. Gang members are going to get these regardless of the law. I suspect that the one on bottom with the pistol grip is illegal, though. (And BTW, you shouldn't be building things like that. You could get arrested, unless you change a certain number of parts to those manufactured in the U.S.)

And P.S.: what's that machine gun there? The trigger appears to have an odd tilt, it's very interesting.

mljdeckard
October 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
I can't distinguish from the photos that either of them are illegal. You can't tell if certain parts are or aren't imported, or whether the bottom one is select fire.

barry960
October 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
Who voted 'c'-both should be illegal? Everybody, quick let's do a trace, find their IP, saddle up! heh heh

CypherNinja
October 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
And P.S.: what's that machine gun there? The trigger appears to have an odd tilt, it's very interesting.

YGPM.

gunNoob
October 11, 2008, 07:25 PM
If B becomes illegal, I don't have one ;)

JImbothefiveth
October 11, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks cyberninja!

JImbothefiveth
October 11, 2008, 07:29 PM

who voted 'c'-both should be illegal?
I guess someone clicked the wrong button.

Oh, and if we're trying to guess why it's illegal, that's because it has too many features that certain politicians think are "evil"(bayonet, pistol grip, magazine that can hold greater than 10 rounds, could be others) for a rifle without the minimum number (or was it percent?) of parts manufactured in the U.S.. (Gun A is a saiga rifle made in Russia, and gun b is the same gun with the "evil" features.)

They are both semi-auto, and this is not reasonable gun control.

3KillerBs
October 11, 2008, 09:01 PM
I'd say that a person putting 9 shots out of 10 on the paper plate at 10 yards may not be exhibiting very good gun control but is probably exhibiting reasonable gun control.

That diagnostic target might help if that person wants to improve his/her gun control. ;) :D LOL

mljdeckard
October 11, 2008, 09:12 PM
Just because politicians think some features are evil, that doesn't make the rifle illegal. The AWB expired in 2004.

Duke Junior
October 11, 2008, 09:16 PM
"Reasonable gun control" = oxymoron.;)

We have a winner!:D

wally
October 11, 2008, 09:27 PM
My point is made by the discussion so far.

Gun A violates Sec 922(r) as it has a 12 round magazine and all foreign parts. Gun B is 100% legal as it has the appropriate number of US made parts despite maximizing the number of "scary evil" features.

A is an unmodified Saiga .223, I slapped a Galil 12 round mag into it (no modifications required) and took the photo. Then I gutted it to put in the US made parts.

Would the gun actually work with the Galil magazine? Not unless you add a bullet guide (easily done with a bit of epoxy putty if you just need to empty a few mags for your nefarious purposes), but 922(r) doesn't say the gun has to actually work to be in violation!

An earlier post, asked the moderators to remove the C mistake and record it as the intended D vote.

I suspect if you post the photo and poll on a liberal web site, the C & D results would be reversed. You have my permission to do so with the photo if you like kicking hornets nests :)

--wally.

Kind of Blued
October 12, 2008, 03:17 AM
Well, this is the wrong place to "trick" people into answering ironically. Considering 922(r), either one of those could be legal or illegal. There isn't enough information in the photo to make anything more than a guess.

What might be even funnier is an old Winchester Trapper Carbine with a 14" barrel and a semi-auto Ma Deuce. One can be owned by anyone who can legally purchase a gun and the other can land you ______ years in prison without the proper papers... ;)

Although I think some or all of the Trapper Carbines may have been exempt from the '34 NFA.

dmxx9900
October 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
I have 1B in the black configuration
one of these days I will buy a whole crate of M70's for me.

TallPine
October 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
Well, this is the wrong place to "trick" people into answering ironically. Considering 922(r), either one of those could be legal or illegal. There isn't enough information in the photo to make anything more than a guess.

Which is sorta the whole point ...

paintballdude902
October 12, 2008, 12:32 PM
I suspect if you post the photo and poll on a liberal web site, the C & D results would be reversed. You have my permission to do so with the photo if you like kicking hornets nests

whats a web site i do enjoy ticking people off

grilledcheese
October 12, 2008, 12:46 PM
I guess only in modern PC America would "reasonable gun control" be chosen before "reasonable criminal control".

Argh.:(

Jeffrey

GeezerwithGuns
October 12, 2008, 01:00 PM
The dork who just fired the shotgun without eye or ear protection should be illegal............:neener:

p2000sk
October 12, 2008, 01:12 PM
Child spanking and swift capital punishment ought to make a comeback.

JImbothefiveth
October 12, 2008, 01:22 PM
I got it wrong, gun A is the illegal one after all.

Wally, I think you've made an excellent point, showing how gun control targets what looks like any other autoloading hunting rifle, then showing what's allowed, for comparison.

chris in va
October 12, 2008, 01:47 PM
Heh. Wish I had seen this 'test' yesterday, would've won right off the bat. Pretty obvious the mag in the Saiga isn't factory.

yokel
October 12, 2008, 02:09 PM
Stereotypes are strange things. Painting simple, caricatured images of a people or a firearm, a stereotype is often the quickest - and most misleading -way a stranger is introduced to a particular culture or nation.

Such stereotypes create and reinforce prejudice, and they distort our politics.

Various myths, stereotypes and false beliefs that have arisen over the years regarding so-called assault weapons need to be dispelled so that the public can better understand the reality of the matter.

Poor East Texan
October 12, 2008, 02:21 PM
Looks like the ejected shotgun shell hit old Kerry in the face.

HeHeHe!

22-rimfire
October 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't be able to tell if one was illegal or not. Hence, they both should be legal.

Wally, I think you've made an excellent point, showing how gun control targets what looks like any other autoloading hunting rifle, then showing what's allowed, for comparison.

I just have to chuckle at this statement. You obviously don't hunt anywhere I do. But to each his own.

Polls like this are meaningless. The result was inevitable when posted on THR.

zoom6zoom
October 12, 2008, 02:27 PM
The problem with the term "reasonable" is that it is being defined by unreasonable people.

moooose102
October 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
i voted neither should be illegal. the only thing that should be RESTRICTED is full automatics, and military arms like cannons, rockets, grenades, bombs, morters, and very large projectiles/cartridges like tanks and warships fire. the real problem (as most of us already know) with "gun contol laws" is that it only applies to honest law abiding people anyway. the serious criminal is going to get whatever he wants, providing he has enough money and the right connections to get it. and to be point blank honest about it, most of us, given the oppertunity to own a full automatic weapon, would use it responsibly anyway. the biggest reason for our government to keep this type of weapon out of our hands is to keep us from trying to overthrow this corrupt ominus power in washington that they call "government".

rojocorsa
October 12, 2008, 05:59 PM
This "reasonable gun control" leads me to ask: Why do some politicians vote for measures that do not protect firearms manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits. HEY! How about we sue Ford every time someone is hurt in a traffic accident?!?!? This is stupid.

Catherine
October 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
There is NO such thing as 'reasonable gun CONTROL'. :banghead:

Gun control = CONTROL.

GUN and financial control = CONTROL.

Catherine
End the Fed!

Diamondback6
October 12, 2008, 09:07 PM
Actually, there is "reasonable gun control"--it entails:
1. Hit what you aim at.
2. Don't kill nobody who don't need killin'.

:p

Poor East Texan
October 12, 2008, 10:51 PM
Words to live by Diamondback!

Diamondback6
October 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
@P. E. T.: Well, what would you expect from an evil ol' Texas rattlesnake, even if one hatched and raised in Left Coast exile? :p lol :D :neener:

PT92
October 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
Reasonable gun control=OXYMORON.

-Cheers

BruceRDucer
October 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
Say, isn't it IRONIC that those assault rifles are....

[ducks!] (((groan))):what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Reasonable Gun Control?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!