Which rings should I get for a Leupold MK2 on a flattop AR-15?

PDA

dodging230grainers
October 11, 2008, 06:45 PM
What rings would you guys recommend (brand and height) to mount this Leupold:

http://usarmorment.com/leupold-mark-2-39x40mm-t2-mil-dot-reticle-p-464.html

On a flattop Colt 6920 M4A3?

Does the procedure for mounting the scope differ from if I mounted it on a bolt action rifle?

(besides the fact that the picatinny rail acts as the base)

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Which rings should I get for a Leupold MK2 on a flattop AR-15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMcfpd
October 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
LaRue LT-104 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30)

R.W.Dale
October 11, 2008, 07:29 PM
i would recommend a one piece ring mount type system.....If you can find one in stock

Jeff White
October 11, 2008, 07:33 PM
I second the LaRue LT-104. Unless you get the scope out over the handguard you'll never get the correct eye relief.

Jeff

JWarren
October 12, 2008, 07:31 AM
I'll +1 on the LaRue LT-104, but I do want to say this:

I second the LaRue LT-104. Unless you get the scope out over the handguard you'll never get the correct eye relief.

Jeff

I have a Leupold Mark 4 on my LR-308. While waiting for my mounts to come in, I was playing with some cheap weaver rings that I had laying around. I was able to get proper eye relief with those. It may be that the slightly longer receiver of the LR-308 may have contributed. I don't know.

I think it is more a fuction of shooting style. I have tried it, and I just don't shoot NTCH. I've found that if your shooting style isn't NTCH, a LOT more options are open to you. And a few are closed.

For instance...

Everyone on ARF.com recommends the SPR-E for the Millet DMS-1. I have one that gives proper eye relief from the SPR. If I went NTCH, I would need the extended one. Therefore, I think eye-relief discussions should include information about how a person shoots.

Just my observations.

-- John

caseypj
October 12, 2008, 09:34 AM
I personally have a Millet DMS-1 on my Bushmaster AR-15, I got some extra high scope rings from millet and a $14 riser and it works excellent.

Riss
October 12, 2008, 09:43 AM
A one piece riser, mount should give enough height to get above the front sight. Either Med or high rings on the flat top or a one piece riser mount with low rings would do it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which rings should I get for a Leupold MK2 on a flattop AR-15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!