Locked thread question

PDA

Blofeld
October 11, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm seeing alot of threads locked, sometimes without explanation, that seemingly don't violate any forum rules.

I'm not trolling/flaming here, and I am newer, but I've never seen "****" before my time here.

I ask in earnest, am I missing something?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Locked thread question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
October 11, 2008, 09:14 PM
This forum is moderated pretty tightly. Anything not gun related, or political, or off color, or is a duplicate topic is deleted or locked quickly. I agree that sometimes we mere mortals don't see the exact reason.

Loosedhorse
October 11, 2008, 09:19 PM
You've probaly noticed that the "In before the lock" abbreviation is now being transformed into four asterisks.

I have no idea why. Seems at odds with free speech--vaguely fascist, in fact. But the forum is free to have its own rules and stick to them.

DaveBeal
October 11, 2008, 09:22 PM
I don't object to threads being locked if they go seriously off-topic or become flame wars, but I do have a problem with mods selectively deleting posts from a thread, as happened to me yesterday. I posted "+1 Thanks" to a comment that expressed an unpopular opinion. I'm still wondering if my post would have been deleted if I had expressed identical sentiment for the popular side.

Blofeld
October 11, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm fine with the tight rules, but I spend more time trying to word a post as inoffensively as possible than I do actually posting. And when a thread is locked without explanation, I find myself reading it two or three times looking for the offense, only to come up dry.

I just noticed my "in before the lock" abbreviation turned to asteriks in my OP.

Wow.

No Fear
October 11, 2008, 09:59 PM
You've probaly noticed that the "In before the lock" abbreviation is now being transformed into four asterisks.
No way. :what: Are you kidding me? I couldn't figure out what "****" in the opening post was supposed to mean. Do you mean to tell me that "i b t l" is now being treated the same as the eff word? :rolleyes:

And when a thread is locked without explanation, I find myself reading it two or three times looking for the offense, only to come up dry.You're not the only one.

nalioth
October 11, 2008, 10:07 PM
Do you mean to tell me that "i b t l" is now being treated the same as the eff word? I'd not know, as I don't use the "eff word" here.

Blofeld
October 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
Again, just trying to follow rules that seem to keep getting hazier.

wyocarp
October 11, 2008, 10:39 PM
In this same vein, do the mods keep track of people and do people eventually get booted out?

ridata
October 11, 2008, 11:11 PM
In this same vein, do the mods keep track of people and do people eventually get booted out?
Apparently they can see our posts after they delete them, I don't know how long they are 'kept' for. So I am assuming they keep a basic record and boot you after too much.
The goverment isn't the only one watching and monitoring you! :D

JShirley
October 11, 2008, 11:24 PM
There are a lot of minor infractions that may not even result in a warning to a member. If they get overwhelming, the member will certainly get a warning to knock it off or tone it down. A few months ago, I sent at least two warnings to a member who seemed to be consuming vast amounts of caffeine and sugar before posting (based on his hyper, high noise to signal posts).

In general, members are only "evicted" after they've been sent at least one warning, and have continued waywardness, OR have committed a major rules violation, such as blowing a gasket and using personal attack with vulgarity against another member.

John

MMCSRET
October 11, 2008, 11:26 PM
Big Brother knows where you live!!!!!!!!!!

Mal H
October 11, 2008, 11:37 PM
Blofeld, can you give us some examples of threads that were locked that didn't violate any forum rules? Perhaps they were threads that were spiraling downhill when locked?

JShirley
October 11, 2008, 11:37 PM
One of the type posts that might be edited or deleted would be "all noise, no signal". :rolleyes:

Such a removal might not garner the poster a notification: it's not a forum rules violation per se, it's just annoying and dumbing-down the board.

J

akodo
October 12, 2008, 02:28 AM
Remember, sometimes posts are deleted in an attempt to re-rail a thread with some merit. So when you see something that is locked that doesn't look that bad it could be due to the worst offenders were deleted.

Also, sometimes the same discussion comes up again and again, the gun equivalent of Coke vs Pepsi, so once you get one guy to say Pepsi and another guy to say Coke and a third guy to say 'everyone always disses RC cola' might as well lock it, as those basic 3 ideas are just going to get posted and reposted.

OleCodger
October 12, 2008, 09:17 AM
You can also lock your own thread. I posted a holster for sale and then changed my mind. Instead of asking an administrator to delete it as I probably should have done, I locked my own post thinking that someway that would make it "invisible". Yep, you are right, it didn't so I went back, unlocked it and posted another note saying that it was no longer available. My point.......some of the "locks" may have been done by the original poster????? This is a fantastic website......let's all work together to keep it that way!!!!!

Keep your powder dry and happy shootin'

JShirley
October 12, 2008, 12:06 PM
Only threads in the Trading Post forums may be closed by the OP.

Blofeld
October 12, 2008, 01:19 PM
Two examples come to mind. In the non-firearms, a thread regarding defense against dogs was locked with no explanation. There was a questionable method introduced, and other members politely smacked it down with no Mod-intervention. I saw nothing that violated the rules, and felt the discussion had merit, with good ideas being introduced.

The second regarded gun misrepresentation in movies. Not cutting edge gun discussion, but harmless fun and mildly educational. A Mod locked it, stating posters needed to get back to the real world. I respect the opinion, I respect the ruling of the Mod, but didn't see the rule violation.

Again, I learn alot here, and enjoy this forum, I simply don't want to put something out of place and jeopardize my standing here for a violation I didn't know I was making. This is the reasoning behind my OP. I'm not calling anyone out or making a free-speech argument, I'm just curious.

XavierBreath
October 12, 2008, 01:29 PM
Actually the "In before the lock" abbreviation being transformed into four asterisks was done to discourage such posting.

Some members have a hard time resisting bumping a spiraling thread back to the top of the que with a "In before the lock" abbreviation being the sum total of their response. When that type of posting occurs, a lock on the thread is inevitable, because it has strayed off the original poster's rationale for posting in the first place.

Even I B T L takes more effort to type than ****, discouraging that type of post.

The same is done to +1 posting, except they are usually deleted.

Look on the bright side, rogue threads are often found by moderators using **** as a search key word.

With **** being on the rejected word list, it actually makes the forum moderation more difficult, because the **** search technique does not work.

JShirley
October 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately dog defense or feral dog or cat threads generate a lot of emotion. People who have been attacked or adversely impacted by vicious or feral pets of course have strong opinions (I'm a "dog person" myself, but I've had packs of dogs come into my yard to attack my rabbits, years ago), and those who strongly believe that x (whatever that is) is never warranted, or is the very final extreme against former or vicious pets tend to have extremely strong opinions as well.

Sometimes threads get shut down not for what's been said, but because similar threads invariably generate hard feelings, more moderator work, and sometimes result in good members losing their posting privileges because they get so worked up over the subject matter. We have quite a few good members who only "act out" over pet threads. We would like to keep them.

I'm not familiar with the other thread in question, but if you know who closed it, you can send them a PM to ask about it.

John

nalioth
October 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
I personally think that censoring the acronym for "In Before The Lock" is silly.

Posters who only use that acronym as their whole post are likely the same folks who'd have "+1" or "What s/he said" as their whole post, as well.

If I use the acronym, I usually make a comment first.

JShirley
October 12, 2008, 01:45 PM
Well, the staff think "IBTL" is silly, useless, takes up space, and is annoying. I wouldn't dispute what you've said about "+1" posters. Such posters are why we made it harder to quote.

XavierBreath
October 12, 2008, 01:49 PM
Regarding the I B T L thing, this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=398521&highlight=ibtl) is a classic example.

Regarding dog/cat shooting threads, many of us here are animal lovers with pets of many different breeds and temperments. They are like family members. Threads that involve shooting threatening or feral animals bring about strong emotions. Remember that many people take in stray animals, and they become loving pets. Same with large working dogs.

Some people feel that saying "all Pit Bulls are a menance and the breed should be assimilated into other breeds" is bordering on a "final solution." Others truely feel they are absolutely right when they say or imply that. The emotions for some folks reach the level of someone saying a member of your family should be exterminated because of their race.

Members who own these animals as pets and service dogs often speak up to defend them, and before long otherwise upstanding members fall prey to the lure of personal attacks that lead to banning. Why? They feel someone verbally attacked a member of their family, so they respond in kind.

I, myself, regretted that I had to ban someone......... Someone who I felt spoke the truth about German Shepherds, but who in his frustration and anger chose the wrong way to do it. I still wish I had gotten to the thread to close it before he posted.

Remember that bans here are permanent. If we can avoid banning good, constructive and productive members, we want to. We do not want them to fall into the trap of feeling they are being personally attacked and responding in kind.

If there are specific threads, list the URL and we will take a look.

If you enjoyed reading about "Locked thread question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!