Back to basics rifle

PDA

mljdeckard
October 11, 2008, 09:50 PM
I've been thinking lately that when I train my boys to shoot, I want them to learn from the very ground up. I have further decided, that I could also use some fundamental refresher training. Sitting at the bench for a few hours with a few bricks and iron sights.

To that end, I'm thinking I want to find a rifle, I have seen them in pawn shops, but don't know what they are, very old bolt action .22s with a long barrel that's not exactly a varmint barrel, but it's heavier than what you would find on most rifles today. I would prefer it to be single shot, or if it takes a magazine, I'll take the mag away and make them load it single shot. :) I don't know if it's some old Sears rifle I would have to find used, or if someone is still making such a rifle.

Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about, or have a better idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "Back to basics rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gvnwst
October 11, 2008, 09:53 PM
a savage MKII is about what you are looking for, you can get a mid taper barrel, detachable mags are standard, and it is very, very accurate, even with bulk stuff.

Dookie
October 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
a savage MKII is about what you are looking for, you can get a mid taper barrel, detachable mags are standard, and it is very, very accurate, even with bulk stuff.exactly. a good rifle that comes in multiple configurations that is reasonably priced. Marlin also makes a good 22 for about the same price. CZ trainer is a great gun with way better sights. Or you can buy an old 22 at a store for 50- 100 bucks and go with that. they usually never wear out, and if they do, upgrade time.

SGW42
October 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
My Remington 581-S has detachable mags, but came with the parts and instructions on how to install a pair of plates that block and close off the mag well and make it a single shot. Later it can be reversed and returned to a repeater.

Don't know if any companies make rimfire bolt actions with this sort of setup, but if they do, it's a nice one.

RonSC
October 12, 2008, 11:50 AM
A CZ 452 Scout or Trainer (depending on childs size) is one of the best rifles out there. CZ also makes a single shot adapter that is taylor-made for basic rifle/marksmanship for younger folks. Check out CZUSA Website.

Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Back to basics rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!