Best out of the box 1911

PDA

zx12rider
October 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
Looking to spend about 900-1100 on a Commander sized gun. I had a first gen Kimber pro Carry and LOVED it but needed to sell it for money reasons 5 years ago. I would buy another Kimber but hear bad things about their new tweaks. So should I get the Sig, Kimber, S&W or springfield? Like I said I want a Pro Carry style gun. Is there a brand I am over looking? Also I want an aluminum frame to keep the weight down.

Thanks in advanace
zx12rider

If you enjoyed reading about "Best out of the box 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smartshooter.45
October 12, 2008, 12:36 AM
Kimber still makes a solid gun. my pro carry 2 is aluminum framed and has a 4" barrel prolly exactly like your old kimber. out of the box the only issue i had was the internal extractor needed to be tuned. i didnt do any machining, just bent it a little bit to decrease the tension. i also took some 800 grit sand paper to the feed ramp and polished it up nicely. it now runs like a champ. i probably put about 1 hour worth of work into it to make it run perfectly. my roommate also owns a Kimber Ultra carry (3" barrel version) which also has ran perfectly out of the box. no tuning or polishing necessary. i love shooting both our guns. dont just write off kimber =)

Big Boomer
October 12, 2008, 02:07 AM
Norinco?

MICHAEL T
October 12, 2008, 02:14 AM
Colt LTW Commander If you want a regular weight Then Dan Wesson Bobtail
I carry either weight with a good holster and belt not a issue .
Dan Wesson much better than my Kimber I traded the Kimber after getting my Dan Wesson.

Hunter0924
October 12, 2008, 03:21 AM
I prefer Colt myself.

tlen
October 12, 2008, 03:23 AM
S&W SW1911 Pd SKU #108283...........

sevin8nin
October 12, 2008, 04:55 AM
In a true commander size I'd look at the S&W, the dan wesson bob tail, or a colt.
If you don't mind a 4" bull barrel then I'd look at the springfield champions or the kimber pro carry II. The pro carry feels lighter to me and has nice cocking serrations. The springfield is devoid of a schwartz safety, which I prefer.

Babalouie
October 12, 2008, 09:14 AM
I was you five months ago! I went with the S&W 1911PD...I really liked the scandium frame, it handles 8 round mags, and it is a true commander size gun. I had it bobtailed and it just disappears under a shirt. The Dan Wesson was tempting but its all steel and 7 round mags work best in it. The PD has shot everything I've tried in her. I made a set of thin grips...pics just don't do justice to how nice they came out.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c255/Sven126/PDLeft.jpg

psp7304
October 12, 2008, 11:58 AM
I shot my brother's Colt LW Commander yesterday. Now I want one.

maniak
October 14, 2008, 01:10 AM
I've got to agree with Micahel T. The Dan Wesson Bobtail is the best out of box 1911 Commander I've found for the money: skeletonized trigger and hammer, beveled mag well, beavertail grip safety, flared eject port, Ed Brown components, all the customizations you'd ordinarily want, for about half the price you'd expect to pay adding them to a custom order.
And that bobtail grip just snuggles into your palm. A real pleasure to shoot.
The attached picture is from the CZ site.

CWL
October 14, 2008, 02:32 AM
Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. Best out of box M1911 pistol in the $900-2000+ price range right now.

I bought NIB Colt Commander and DW CBOB within 2 months of each other this year. The DW kicks the Colt's @ss for quality of parts & build. The DW CBOB is the equivalent of the Ed Brown Kobra (at $2400).

I bought the Colt as a base gun to be full-blown custom built. It will take me another $2000+ to make it equivalent to the Dan Wesson.

Stevie-Ray
October 14, 2008, 03:20 AM
The DW CBOB is the equivalent of the Ed Brown Kobra (at $2400).That ought to bring out the custom fans.

Ske1etor
October 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
I would have to go with the Dan Wesson CBOB as well for the best out of the box Commander in the $900-$1000 range.

The fit and finish is very, very nice... plus, it is already bobtailed, has front strap checkering and night sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best out of the box 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!