mak-90 norinco question

PDA

yongxingfreesty
October 11, 2008, 11:16 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/whmlar.jpg

I plan on buying it local and was wondering if the barrel lenght is 16" or more

If I were to purchase it, I want to put wood forend, wood grips and wood buttstock.

would something like this fit? and is it 922r compliant?
gunbroker link to ak47 wood furniture (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=112352399)

thanks THR

If you enjoyed reading about "mak-90 norinco question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tang419
October 11, 2008, 11:23 PM
The barrel is 16" and no that stock set isnt 922 compliant. Dragunov or thumbhole stock is it, unless you want to trade out the double hook chineese trigger for a single hook USA setup and some USA mags.

bejay
October 12, 2008, 12:11 AM
ironwood makes stocks for the mak90 and would be a good option to put wood furniture on a mak you would still need to swap out the fire control group to be 922 compliant but you could use any magazine you wanted.
http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

yongxingfreesty
October 12, 2008, 12:35 AM
ok thanks guys, so I will change out the trigger group. will that count as 3 pieces? I need a total of 6 so can my only option is below?

1 USupper/lower handguards
1 US pistol grip
1 US butt stock

and also, how do members on ar15 have underfolding mak-90s?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=78&t=75214

Destructo6
October 12, 2008, 05:59 AM
Yeah, hammer, trigger, and sear are 3 of the ten parts that contribute to the imported count. And I used a US-made double hook setup in mine.
and also, how do members on ar15 have underfolding mak-90s?
If you "Americanize" it, you can configure it pretty much any way that is acceptable today, to include folding stocks.

Hanzerik
October 12, 2008, 12:54 PM
That looks like a pre-ban rifle. It also looks like it has a muzzle attachment which will require a total of 6 US parts. Mine did not have a muzzle attachment so I only required 5 US parts to make it compliant. I changed out the FCG, pistol grip, and fore grip. Mine sports a Romanian wire folder.

In your case if you wanted a non-us folding stock you would have to pick a different part like a gas piston. You can also use US made magazines, followers, floor plates to meet the requirements. A US magazine will count as 3 parts; body, floor plate, follower.

http://hanzerik.sh.nu/gallery/Gun-Stuff/MAK90/thumbs/100_3074.JPG.thumb.jpg

http://hanzerik.sh.nu/gallery/Gun-Stuff/MAK90/thumbs/100_3077.JPG.thumb.jpg

yongxingfreesty
October 13, 2008, 02:55 AM
nice rifle, i think I've got the perfect idea.

tapco g2 = 3 us parts
arsenal US marked follower = 1
arsenal US marked floorplate = 1
total count = 5 parts

now can I can use the norinco furniture on gunbroker?
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=112352399

bub
October 13, 2008, 10:01 AM
Here's what I did to my MAK-90.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/bub75/mak90-1.jpg

I put in a Tapco G2 trigger assembly (hammer, trigger, sear; 3 US parts), a US gas piston (1 part) and a US pistol grip (1 part) for the necessary 5 parts since I don't have a muzzle attachment. This lets me use the Romy sidefolder and PG forearm, as well as any mags I want. I can also put on any stock I choose. US PGs come in just about any color/style you want to match any stock out there. I chose this configuration because I have so many mags it would have been cost prohibitive to buy US mag parts for all of them. Good luck with whatever you choose. MAKS are fun guns and deserve to be un-neutered!

Bub

yongxingfreesty
October 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
that is a good setup, i saw on k-var they have us pistol screw base/nut.
how easy/difficult to replace the gas piston? does it require any modding?

MAKster
October 13, 2008, 12:44 PM
A U.S. pistol grip doesn't count towards 922 since it isn't replacing a foreign part if you are starting with the original thumbhole.

yongxingfreesty
October 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
looks like i wont be using the floorplates and followers because they wont fit steel mags.

now back to original plan, 3 parts from FCG, 1 from nut/base, 1 for gas piston should work.

bub
October 13, 2008, 03:57 PM
yongxingfreesty,

Replacing the gas piston isn't too difficult if you have mechanical aptitude. If you look at the bolt carrier about 1" back from where the gas piston screws in, you should be able to see the pin that keeps it from rotating. It may take some looking under a strong light, I had a heck of a hard time finding mine. Drill out one side of the pin (it's peened on both sides), knock it out, unscrew the old piston. Screw the new one in so that it has a little wobble (not tight against the carrier), drill the threaded portion of the piston for a new pin and pin it in place. I used a nail that fit snugly through the carrier, cut it slightly longer on both sides than the width of the carrier in that location then peened both sides. Clean it up with a file and Voila! It's done! Just make sure to test fire and verify it's still working well.

Also, if going the US pistol grip route, you need the actual PG, not just the nut/base. I don't think the nut/base counts but the pistol grip itself does. I can't remember where I got mine, it's laminated wood to match the Romy PG forearm. Do a search for US pistol grip and you should be able to find whatever configuration you want.

Depending on what you want for a stock, you can get a US stock and pistol grip, which counts as 2 parts. KVAR and others sell them if you want poly, Ironwood sells wood and laminate if you want that (come to think of it, I think my PG is Ironwood but I bought it from another retailer). Then you won't have to worry about the gas piston. I wanted the side folder, so I used the gas piston so I could use the Romy folder. The choice is yours.

Bub

yongxingfreesty
October 13, 2008, 04:18 PM
thanks for the tips.

the thing is, i really want to use that wood from gunbroker.com

i guess i will just buy the tapco g2(3) and use bulgarian mags with us floorplate and follower to be safe.

Destructo6
October 13, 2008, 04:46 PM
A U.S. pistol grip doesn't count towards 922 since it isn't replacing a foreign part if you are starting with the original thumbhole.
Well, if you replace the thumbhole stock with an imported pistol grip and buttstock, you are adding to your imported parts count. The goal is to reduce the number of specific imported parts, not to add US parts, willy nilly.

The pistolgrip screw and base nut doesn't contribute to the imported parts count, BTW.

Do you know if that MAK-90 has the odd angle cut at the back of the receiver? If it does, the original Chinese furniture will leave a funny-looking gap where the buttstock meets the receiver.

bejay
October 13, 2008, 11:34 PM
you need to remove the original stock and see what the rear of the receiver looks like before buying any replacement stock.

gotmine
October 14, 2008, 12:43 AM
k-var generally carries us floorplates and followers...Falcon Arms also makes them, though not always available. FSE made them a few years ago also...All will fit military steel magazines. Tapco followers are okay too.

yongxingfreesty
October 14, 2008, 12:51 AM
The email I got from k-var said the followers and floorplates will not fit steel mags. ill post a pic of the rear asap when I get the right hex tool to take it off.

thanks

nalioth
October 14, 2008, 02:40 AM
The email I got from k-var said the followers and floorplates will not fit steel mags.The follower and floorplate will work.

This was made using 100% of the original technology. It is heat treated <snip> All AK mags are made to the same specification. This sounds like it's metal ( one can't heat treat plastic - at least not to harden it ) and should work fine. Not everyone on the other end of the phone/email have a clue about what they're talking about.

Changing the gas piston is very easy (it's one of those things I dreaded doing because of what I read, but when I actually got out in the shop to do it, I found out just how easy it was [and started wondering why some people can make it into something difficult]).

barry960
October 14, 2008, 03:01 AM
Hanzerik & bub:One thing I'm not getting here is that a MAK-90 has the sheet metal on the lower receiver cut away differently in the back where the stock fits. Yours don't show that gap where the butt stocks are mounted, so did you change the whole lower receiver? Were there some MAK-90s out there that didn't have this alteration to the sheet metal, because Youngxingfreesty's sure does? I'd like a Krinkov style side folding stock on mine, and it would be great if somebody made on that fit on a MAK and was US made too.
The other difference in MAK lowers from non-neutered AKs is they don't have the steel step where the grip mounts, so I can see just carving one that works with wood like on yours, bub, but how did you do it Hanzerik?

nalioth
October 14, 2008, 03:50 AM
barry960, not all the Mak90s have the slant cut receivers.

You can't tell until you pull the stock and visually check. The stock in the OP is what you're looking at. There is no way to tell if the receiver is slanted from that picture.

Hanzerik
October 14, 2008, 04:19 PM
The other difference in MAK lowers from non-neutered AKs is they don't have the steel step where the grip mounts, so I can see just carving one that works with wood like on yours, bub, but how did you do it Hanzerik?

Not sure what you mean by a "step". My rifle just has an opening for the screw block to pass through the receiver. I just positioned my grip (TAPCO) over the block and installed and tightened the screw.

The Romanian stock does not fit the MAK90 right off the bat. I had to remove material from the sides and bottom of the piece that is inserted into the receiver to get it to fit. Plus the rear hole does not line up, and hence I did not try to get it to; I didnít want to do mess with the rear trunnion in case I wanted to switch out to a wood/synthetic set. The MAK90 has a 1.5mm sheet metal instead of the more common 1mm.

http://hanzerik.sh.nu/gallery/Gun-Stuff/MAK90/thumbs/100_3081.JPG.thumb.jpg

bub
October 14, 2008, 07:08 PM
barry960,

MAKs came with angled (slant) or straight rear receiver cuts. Mine and Hanzerick's came with straight cuts, making it easy to mount any stock we want. Also, if I'm picturing what you are saying about the "angle" where the pistol grip mounts, that is merely an escutcheon on the pistol grip itself, not part of the receiver. The receiver should be straight and flat where the pistol grip mounts, without the "angle" or step piece.

And, I forgot to mention about the Romy folder stock screws not lining up on the MAK rifles. Myself, I filed the folder mechanism that fits into the receiver till I got a very snug fit, then used the rear screw, leaving the front screw out. If you wanted to use both, it would take some filing/dremeling of one of the rear trunnion stock mounting holes holes, making the hole oblong so that the screws would both fit. As long as the folder mechanism fits tight into the receiver, one screw works and you don't go dremeling on the rifle itself.

Bub

bub
October 14, 2008, 07:09 PM
barry960,

MAKs came with angled (slant) or straight rear receiver cuts. Mine and Hanzerick's came with straight cuts, making it easy to mount any stock we want. Also, if I'm picturing what you are saying about the "angle" where the pistol grip mounts, that is merely an escutcheon on the pistol grip itself, not part of the receiver. The receiver should be straight and flat where the pistol grip mounts, without the "angle" or step piece.

And, I forgot to mention about the Romy folder stock screws not lining up on the MAK rifles. Myself, I filed the folder mechanism that fits into the receiver till I got a very snug fit, then used the rear screw, leaving the front screw out. If you wanted to use both, it would take some filing/dremeling of one of the rear trunnion stock mounting holes holes, making the hole oblong so that the screws would both fit. As long as the folder mechanism fits tight into the receiver, one screw works and you don't go dremeling on the rifle itself.

Bub

yongxingfreesty
October 15, 2008, 12:07 AM
ok, looks like it is a straight cut. Am I right? Good or bad?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/yongxingliang/DSC00029-4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/yongxingliang/DSC00030-2.jpg

bub
October 15, 2008, 06:13 AM
Yep, it's a straight cut. You should be good to go for just about any stock option you want. Good luck and don't forget to post pics of the changes!

Bub

Hanzerik
October 15, 2008, 10:42 AM
Just don't be pissed when a stock will not just slip on without a little fitting. Like I said earlier; the MAK90 has a thicker sheet metal then most AK's. Itís a pain when it comes to stocks, but a plus for durability/rigidness.

barry960
October 16, 2008, 04:19 AM
Well I didn't know there with MAK-90s with the straight cut on the back of the receiver. Mine was a Norinco, and I didn't want to admit I had tried something like this, because I don't know where the two 'real' AK stock pieces had originated from, but anyway it's assembled again with the thumbhole stock it came with. The catalog I ordered the grip and butt stock from also offered the grip screw, but I thought I didn't need it because I would just use the screw I had. That one turned out too short, and the grip had a raw un-sanded part that was supposed to fit into a metal sleeve, not a step. I could have then got the longer grip screw, and fabricated something to fill the gap on the grip and the cutaway section where the butt stock mounts, but I just cut the top part of the grip off. It looked wrong and too short, and I decided the PC stock actually was better to shoot with being wider and with a rubber pad. Anyway, thanks for the feed back.

yongxingfreesty
October 16, 2008, 02:00 PM
well, i went with the red furniture. just gotta wait for my us parts before i install it.

looks pretty good.
http://i33.tinypic.com/33m1v0j.jpg

Walkalong
October 16, 2008, 02:45 PM
I did my new to me Mak 90 not long ago.

Pic with new stock, Tapco grip, and trigger group installed. (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83034&d=1218758210)

Before Pic (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75411&d=1206808507)

MAKster
October 16, 2008, 03:34 PM
Where did you guys buy those wood stocks? If they are Chinese, what U.S. parts did you add?

Beren
October 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
Walkalong:

I like the after pics much more than the before pic. I'm going to have to do that to my MAK-90 this winter. Thanks for sharing the photos.

yongxingfreesty
October 18, 2008, 03:57 AM
As of now, how do you guys like my mak-90? :uhoh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/yongxingliang/DSC00031-2.jpg

cvb
October 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
I messed up my MAK like everybody here is telling you, soon youll find out that the sights need to be adjusted elevation wise and your sharp shooting rifle has just become another bullet sprayer. Get yourself the original thumbhole wood stock and see the wisdom of the MAK. At least for me was something I could trust, shooting wise.

barry960
October 21, 2008, 04:27 AM
I like how it looks in that state, kind of opens the possibilities to the imagination. I'm visualizing it just like that with a 75 round drum and mounted to something, like a sentry servo setup, or under a vehicle hood with a clutch cable trigger control. Don't drive around on public roads with it loaded if you do the latter though, unless it's SHTF time and all bets are off.

yongxingfreesty
October 23, 2008, 01:55 PM
Well, got the stock but there is a gap between the buttstock and the metal. I guess I will need to sand off 2mm of wood or so.

yongxingfreesty
October 26, 2008, 03:54 AM
woohoo, got it fixed with Nalioth's help. sure does look good

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/yongxingliang/DSC00042-2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "mak-90 norinco question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!