Considering an NFA weapon ...

PDA

PAC 762
October 12, 2008, 10:36 AM
Delaware has restrictions on most NFA weapons, so I never really considered them before. However, I recently realized that SBRs are allowed in my state, and I'm considering sending in a form 1 to build a semiauto Mk18 clone. I just had a few questions...

There is a very good chance that I will be promoted at work in the next 1-2 years and will probably have to relocate. All of the potential states I may move to are NFA friendly, but I am concerned that having an NFA weapon might make things difficult. Is it a major hassel moving with an NFA weapon, or is a simple process.

Also, I shoot primarily at a gun club in PA. It my understanding that the ATF needs to be notified if you bring intend to cross state lines with an NFA weapon. How does this work? Can the notification have to be for specific dates, or can it be vague like "I intend to cross into PA once or twice a month for the forseeable future"?

Thanks,
PAC

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering an NFA weapon ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogrunner
October 12, 2008, 10:59 AM
All you need do is fill out and have approved an ATFE form 5320.20......Real simple & the last approval I got took all of 11 days.

Form is very self explanatory, you must use it for interstate transportation.........which would include a permanent change of address.........Note that if you are going back and forth to the same location you can fill out that form for a full year period and they will approve same.

crushbup
October 12, 2008, 11:01 AM
To move an NFA weapon all you need to do is fill out a 5320 form with the ATF, IIRC. Think of it as a change-of-address and "permission to take item across state lines" card.

IIRC, that's it.

ETA: Drat, beaten

PAC 762
October 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys.

Would you recommend setting up a trust from the get-go or trying to get the CLEO to sign off first?

nalioth
October 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
Would you recommend setting up a trust from the get-go or trying to get the CLEO to sign off first? The trust will allow all corporate officers access to the weapon (meaning your wife/brother/whoever is on the trust with you can take the thing to the range without you, move it in case of emergency [fire, flood, etc] etc).

The CLEO route leaves you solely responsible.

MGshaggy
October 12, 2008, 01:54 PM
PAC-

I usually recommend trying to get a signoff as an individual before using a trust or corp, however as a former Delawarean, I know the CLEO signoff isn't going to work (at least in NCC - possibly a slight chance in Kent or Sussex, but I doubt it) so you might as well start with a trust or corp.

As to moving it across state lines, filing a 5320.20 as mentioned above is the way to do it. The NFA Branch will allow you specify a window of time of time during which you can move the weapon interstate.

PAC 762
October 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys.

MGShaggy- I am NCC and figured that the CLEO might be a problem. I like the idea of the revocable trust, anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering an NFA weapon ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!