Sporting rifle made in England?

PDA

MustangHowie
October 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
A friend of mine has a 270 bolt action rifle for sale. Only markings on it are 270, Made in England and a proof mark crown over BNP.

Any idea who makes it?

What it is worth?

I don't have any pictures of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporting rifle made in England?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dirtyjim
October 12, 2008, 02:13 PM
it is probably a parker hale that was made for another company. go to gunbroker & do a search on parker hale & see if it looks like any of the rifles listed

rcmodel
October 12, 2008, 03:00 PM
Parker-Hale, BSA, and Herters are some common British made actions that show up on custom & factory guns.

Herters sold actions, barreled actions, and complete rifles on actions made by BSA. They are a unique action design of BSA's.

The Parker-Hales are usually a commercial Mauser 98 type action.

rcmodel

tube_ee
October 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
Are there any "rules" as to which manufacturers use the Birmingham proof house, and which use London?

The Brits make good guns, that's fer sure. I'd own one, but it was either that or a house, so...

--Shannon

25 Pdr
October 13, 2008, 03:33 AM
A friend of mine has a 270 bolt action rifle for sale. Only markings on it are 270, Made in England and a proof mark crown over BNP.

Try www.guntrader.co.uk search for 270 cal. Best UK for sale site.

bonza
October 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
Parker-Hale used to make a budget model called the Midland. Don't recall what markings were on the rifle, but that could be what he has.

MustangHowie
October 13, 2008, 05:53 PM
It is not a mauser action.

Still looking.

Vaarok
October 13, 2008, 06:06 PM
Is it a split-receiver action? It could be a Mannlicher-Schonauer sporting rifle if it is.

dawgtraxx
October 13, 2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah, but ya have to shoot from opposite side of the street

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporting rifle made in England?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!