Must Have Lost My Mind !

PDA

Shawnee
October 12, 2008, 08:19 PM
Ya'll have heard me brag on my Remington 700 VLS .243 (once or twice).

A doctor friend who has shot it some has been bugging me to sell it to him since last Spring. I finally told him that since it is a proven gem, he would have to pay more than he could buy a new one for. I figured that would cool him off.

It didn't.:eek: So now my deer rifle collection is down to a Marlin 336C in 30/30. :uhoh:

I don't even recognize me without a .243.:banghead:

:scrutiny: I think I hear a Remington Model Seven calling me !

:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Must Have Lost My Mind !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
October 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
If you made money off of it, I say it's a win.

Art Eatman
October 12, 2008, 08:24 PM
Aw, wow, Shawnee, you KNOW that little critter is too young, weak and defenseless to be out there, lost and all on its own! For shame!

:D:D:D

I should talk. I put my pet '06 on long-term loan to Justin. I figured he'd do more elk hunting than I will, but as long as some of the meat gets UPSed to me...

Shawnee
October 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
LOL! :D:D

I know what you mean about "long-term loans". My Browning BLR has been at one of my sons' home for six or seven years now. :banghead:

Oh well. :(

:cool:

NCsmitty
October 12, 2008, 08:46 PM
Shawnee, probably the next crazy thing you'll do now is buy a 30'06. Nah, that would be too craaazy! :what:

What are you gonna do?
I know you're going through 6MM withdrawl. ;)

NCsmitty

Shawnee
October 12, 2008, 09:01 PM
:what: Thirty-NOT-six ! :p

"I know you're going through 6MM withdrawl"

LOLOLOL ! :D:D

You got that right ! :(

There must be a Model Seven around somewhere that needs a good home.:)

Bearhands
October 12, 2008, 09:04 PM
on the upside Shawnee, you could be left alone with a lot worse than that Marlin!

MRIman
October 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
Never sell one you like!!!!!
Shame on you!!!!

t george
October 12, 2008, 09:55 PM
well now u get the pleasure of looking and reasearching every gun you can think of hopfully you will stay loyal with the 6mm fans but if somthing better comes along more power to you!

Mr White
October 12, 2008, 10:03 PM
Buy a .30-06 to replace it. .243 is too small a caliber for deer anyway.

:evil:

I'm such a jerk, I know.

Almond27
October 12, 2008, 10:17 PM
get a .308 for deer hunting or screw it just go it a .300 WSM for deer hunting j/k:evil:

TCB in TN
October 12, 2008, 10:23 PM
Just for you I would suggest that you find you a nice little .243 BLR to replace it. Sticks with your beloved .243 cal and gives you a soul mate for you Marlin. I love my .308 BLR, but will suggest the .243 to keep peace around here!

Shawnee
October 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
"Buy a .30-06 to replace it. .243 is too small a caliber for deer anyway."

:cuss:

:D:D:D

TCB - is your BLR one of those "take down" models ?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 12, 2008, 10:38 PM
I don't even recognize me without a .243.

-Cliffy will be very disappointed.
-Now it's time to step up to the 6mm Rem (I guess)
-Do you get visitation rights?

Ooh, a take-down BLR in .243 Win - yes, yes, that would do juuuuuuust fine. If you replace it with a BLR or a Model 7, then I'll say you didN'T lose your mind; otherwise....... :)

TCB in TN
October 13, 2008, 03:32 AM
TCB - is your BLR one of those "take down" models ?

Nope, I have handled a couple of them though, and they feel a lot more "bulky" to me, not bad mind you, but not as good either.

DRYHUMOR
October 13, 2008, 05:54 AM
Have you considered the 257 Roberts? :cool:

Shawnee
October 13, 2008, 09:17 AM
"Have you considered the 257 Roberts?"

Actually, once in a while I've toyed with the idea of building a Ruger #1 in .257 Roberts but never have. I guess because bullet choice is wider in the .243 and whatever I can do with the Roberts I can do with the .243 and I'm already familiar with loading for the .243. :)

TCB - I'm less than enthusiastic about the "takedown" version of the BLR too. Would greatly prefer a straight-gripped "regular" model. Prices seem to be all over the map on them though. Will have to watch Gunbroker for a sweet deal.

Decker
October 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hate to see a good old gun part with his rightful owner like that!

But i will say, if you get teh chance and want a really fun little 243, go try on a ruger 77 ultralight in 243. Weighs next to nothing, and sure is a convenient little package to pack around for deer hunting! The one i bought for the kid and wife has been great.

Shawnee
October 13, 2008, 02:07 PM
When Ruger first brought out their 77 International (full-length stock) I got one in .243. Could kick myself for selling that one too. :banghead:

Decker
October 13, 2008, 04:04 PM
Seem to be a slow learner with selling all these guns!! They are supposed to breed and multiply in the vault to the point where teh spouse has no clue how many ther eare anymore :)

Kingcreek
October 13, 2008, 04:27 PM
My daddy always said, "Never put a price on something if you don't want to sell it. Because no matter how high you price it, somebody will come along and pay it, and then its thiers and not yours."
IIRC, he learned that when he lost a 1931 Model A Roadster that way.

Andrew Wyatt
October 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
are we going to hear how the .30-30 is the end all be all deer caliber every day untill you replace it? ;)

R.W.Dale
October 13, 2008, 04:54 PM
Buy yourself a 260, 6.5x55 or 7mm-08 and watch that 243 sickness melt away

gvnwst
October 13, 2008, 06:23 PM
no, just get a 6mm rem, and fuel the 6mm disease;)

TCB in TN
October 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
TCB - I'm less than enthusiastic about the "takedown" version of the BLR too. Would greatly prefer a straight-gripped "regular" model. Prices seem to be all over the map on them though. Will have to watch Gunbroker for a sweet deal.

Sounds just like mine! Of course I got mine for about $425 a couple of years ago, now I could offer to sell it to ya for that, but I know how you hate 30 cal guns and I wouldn't want to offend you or anything! ;)

TehK1w1
October 13, 2008, 07:55 PM
Wait.....................
Shawnee..............
You only had one 243???
I kinda figured you had at least 5...

IndianaBoy
October 13, 2008, 08:08 PM
Well friend... clearly you need to buy a 300 Remington Ultra Mag.

Or at least a 7mm STW.

:neener:

Shawnee
October 13, 2008, 09:13 PM
"I kinda figured you had at least 5..."

LOLOLOL :D:D

Theoretically I had two - but my BLR has been "on loan" to one of my sons for about 6 or 7 years and, if you know anything about sons, you know how much that "theoretically" is worth. :( Cristmas 2004 I bought him a Remngton CDL in 7mm/08 assuming my BLR would find its' way home.

Bad assumption. :rolleyes:

But you're right - I could avoid this terrible drought if I buy a few instead of just one. :):):):):)

IndianaBoy .... LOLOLOL :D No .300 UltraMag for this Buckeye. Although if it was easier for me to get to a nice shooting range I would be tempted to get a 7mag. just because they are so Fun.

Win75
October 14, 2008, 07:04 AM
Do not abandon the .243, you will regret it!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Must Have Lost My Mind !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!