Kentucky pistol triggers

PDA

kBob
October 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
The CVA KP posting got me to looking around the room to dig up a Pedersoli "Kentucky Pistol" from Dixie.

I have only shot this thing about fifty times because the trigger pull is awful.

Any tutorials on breaking that lock down and cleaning up the pull to be atleast smoother? Don't esecially want to lighten it as I want reliable sparking.

I also think one of the problems with getting accuracy out of the gun when it is hand held is that very thin front sight blade in that hugh V notch rear sight. Sometimes the front sight seems to fade out in some light conditions.

-Bob Hollingsworth

If you enjoyed reading about "Kentucky pistol triggers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
October 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
I don't know anything about locks, flintlocks, or how to fix them as a do it yourselfer kBob.
But I've read that there's 2 ways to position a flint, bevel up or bevel down.
That there's 2 ways to wrap a flint, either using leather or lead.
Maybe some folks on this forum can help you with the right info., but if you want to ask a greater number of flintlock shooters for help, the muzzle loading forum has a lot of folks ready and willing to offer such specific advice. And it also has an extensive database to search for relevant posts and helpful information made over the past year.
Either their Flintlock and Builder's Bench sub-forum would be logical places to ask, even if that means posting simultaneous threads here and there.

You can follow my personnal referral link to register for free:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php?referral/4225/

Maybe you can paint that front sight to improve its visibility or come up with a combination of other fixes.

I hope that you have better gunsmithing skills than I do!
Good luck. :)

Chawbaccer
October 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
I thnk a lot of the trigger pull problems has to do with the geometry of the sear and tumbler and the length of the sear and where the trigger is hitting it. You can take the lock off and see if there is any interference between the lock and the wood, and maybe put a dab of lubriplate where the sear and tumbler mate in full cock. If you try polishing up too much or trying to make things mate better you run the risk of going thru the case hardening and messing up the lock.

wulf
October 13, 2008, 03:05 PM
by moving the trigger back a little. Find out where on the trigger the sear hits and if repositioning the trigger will do it.

WARDER
October 19, 2008, 11:46 AM
hi, k bob the way to do it is if your handy ,take the lock out ,on the tumbler you will see two notches on is the half cock it will be the deeper of the two if you know how to solder cut a little piece of brass even use a bit of bullet caseing and solder it to the tumbler into the full cock notch this is the shallower one and prevents the trigger sear from going to deep to the back of the notch, you dont need to much heat ,this works on most pistols .the heat of the melted solder is not hot enough to do any damage to the metal hardening at all ,indeed you can use areldite resin to do the same ,make sure all oil is cleaned before you start gently file the brass thickness to get the perfect let off DO NOT ATTEMPT to file the notch depth away this will only lead to the pistol catching on the half cock when fired . easy peasy

If you enjoyed reading about "Kentucky pistol triggers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!