Sighting a Garand

PDA

Byron
October 13, 2008, 08:52 PM
If a Garand is sighted in at 100 yards,should it be point of impact/point of aim or a bit higher? What would be the impact on the target at 25 yards when properly sighted at 100 yards? Thanks,Byron

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting a Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
October 13, 2008, 09:00 PM
I'm no expert, but I'd think that would be personal preference about the 100 yard thing. I put the bullseye on top of my front sight post, if I can even see it. At 25 yards, I'd guess the POI would be a little low compared to 100 yds.

NotSoFast
October 13, 2008, 09:15 PM
Using PointBlank to calculate, and using a 155gr FMJ-BT at 2750 fps, I get about 2/3" low at 25 yards.

Swampy
October 14, 2008, 07:41 AM
If a Garand is sighted in at 100 yards,should it be point of impact/point of aim or a bit higher? Thanks,Byron

Byron,

If you are target shooting you have a choice of the 6 O'clock hold or the Navy (Center mass.) hold.

The 6 O'clock hold is the easiest to teach and to learn for beginning target shooters. If you ARE target shooting, that's what I'd recommend at this time.

The Navy hold is a bit harder to learn for a beginner, but for an experienced shooter it is more precise and leads to better scores down the road.

If you are wanting to set your rifle up for hunting or HD-SD (Irregular shaped targets) then you will probably want to use a center mass hold and zero with POI about 2 inches high at 100 yards. This will give you a point blank trajectory on deer or man sized targets out to 300 yards easily.

Just my thoughts,
Swampy

Garands forever

Byron
October 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
I very much appreciate y'alls help. I was recently given and H&R garand by an old friend. I shot M14's in basic in 68 and that was a long time ago.I too prefer center mass. Thanks,Byron

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting a Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!