Kimber Quality

PDA

rojocorsa
October 13, 2008, 10:43 PM
This perhaps has been discussed before, but I have just recently joined THR.

Some claim that Kimber quality is spotty and that they are over priced.
Others say that Kimber is the best, etc.

Keep in mind that I am a beginner, I have more "book" knowledge than actual range experience. The only 1911s that I have shot were a Kimber Custom II and a Colt Series 80. I only have positive things to say about the Kimber. The weapon felt good in my hand and it balanced well. The trigger was crisp and it resets promptly. I personally liked it better than the Series 80, it just felt more overall "smooth'', like a Cadillac. At seven yards I got very decent groups with the Kimber.

(I have nothing against the Series 80 BTW)

But what is the truth? Is Kimber a reliable brand, or would buying a Kimber be a bad investment?

Also what are other good brands for 1911s?

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Quality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kmbrman
October 13, 2008, 11:14 PM
Iv'e owned a Kimber Custom 2 for many years and fired every shape and style of FMJ and JHP through it. It has always been utterly reliable and as accurate as I can hold it. Have used it to take CC test in my state, and the gun outshot everyones pistols I shot with on the qualification target. The only change Iv'e made is that I installed Novak sights that I can see easier.

rojocorsa
October 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
And do Kimbers present those feeding ramp problems found on certain 1911s?

sammy
October 14, 2008, 12:13 AM
I have a Stainless Target II that is out to Cylinder and Slide for a action job and magwell. The pistol has allways been flawless and was my favorite before it left. Had a few FTF's the first 200 rounds but ran everything I fed it after that (3000 rounds). That was 7 months ago and I am told it is shipping this week. Cannot wait!!!

Wildfire
October 14, 2008, 12:18 AM
Hey There;
I have colts TOO..
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry and trust my life to it.

MICHAEL T
October 14, 2008, 12:44 AM
I traded a Colt Gov for a Kimber Eclips. Took it home and striped to clean and found frame covered in rust under grips. Not best way to start relationship with a new pistol. It wouldn't work with Kimber mag 2 or 3 jams per mag.Switched to my Colt mags worked fine. Sorry I traded for another Colt and took a beating . Never another Kimber in my Collection.
Dan Wesson beats it hands down

Ron James
October 14, 2008, 01:15 AM
I believe it a case of some people like Vanilla and some people like Chocolate. I have a couple of Colts, one a Gold Cup, good guns. I own a couple of Kimbers, good guns. Which is best, My Kimbers are more accurate, all the guns are reliable, no problems with any of them. When ever someone asks which is best I'm reminded of that old question, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, who knows? My Kimbers are good guns, If I owned a Wilson, a Wesson, or S&W or any of the others 1911s, I might say they are the best. I've know a guy that swears that his 2000 { closer to 3000 than 2000 }Wilson built gun is a piece of crap, Go figure. Just 2 cents of nothing, the above information is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

rojocorsa
October 14, 2008, 01:43 AM
I like Kimbers so far, but when I read stuff like this I get mixed feelings
I traded a Colt Gov for a Kimber Eclips. Took it home and striped to clean and found frame covered in rust under grips. Not best way to start relationship with a new pistol. It wouldn't work with Kimber mag 2 or 3 jams per mag.Switched to my Colt mags worked fine. Sorry I traded for another Colt and took a beating . Never another Kimber in my Collection.
Dan Wesson beats it hands down

Are those isolated incidents?

I know that when something is mass-produced sometimes there are bound to be factory defects, but isn't that why there is supposed to be some kind of factory quality control system, so the faulty product never reaches the customer?

Also, as most of you may be aware about the new Kimber SIS...
To say that the LAPD and LAPD SWAT endorce it, is that just plain old publicity?

DeathByCactus
October 14, 2008, 02:11 AM
So far, I have had nothing but problems with my Kimber Pro CDP II. FTFs left and right, and I see many other issues regarding this on 1911forum and other 1911 specific places.

That aside, the Kimber is in the shop right now getting a recoil spring replaced, feed ramp polished, mainspring changed out (might as well since it has to be there anyway).

I was 700 or 800 rounds through before I sent it out. Once I get it back I will test it and see how it is. I have my super awesome incredible Colt Custom .38 Super that has never failed me though. So I will have a carry piece should the Kimber not work out.

It sucks because this is the second time this has happened to me. My Para Ord P14-45 had the same problems (except 20x worse). Never could get it to function. Sooner or later I will either sell it or send it back out to Para. It is like every other 1911 I get to try to replace the .38 super is cursed. I can't win.

Rexster
October 14, 2008, 07:22 AM
All three of my Kimbers gave me drama; three strikes, Kimber is out.
I am tired of typing the longer version; please use the search feature.

jhco
October 14, 2008, 08:20 AM
kimber feeds fine if you use ball ammo which is what the factory recomends anyway .
heres the low down the guys that put kimber down either have never owned one or owned one of the older ones, kimbers at one time were top of the line then they decided to put external extractors on them which was a huge mistake, the kimbers that they are makeing now are once again tops

i will say that their factory mags do suck i have switched to edbrown mags and they work flawless

xrockdawgx
October 14, 2008, 08:38 AM
Take it or leave it..... I have two Kimbers. One I love. One I hate. I have a Raptor II. LOVE IT!!!! And, I have an Ultra Raptor II. HATE IT!!!!

Ske1etor
October 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
Custom II here... no problems after about 300-400 rounds or so (A couple of failures to feed within the first couple of weekends...)

WmCC
October 14, 2008, 09:09 AM
Five Kimbers here. All run perfectly and are extremely accurate.

It has been my experience over the years that most 1911 issues involve one or more of the following items which can be easily corrected at the range in less than three minutes:

Extractor, extractor tension

Magazine(s)

Poor or non spec reloads.

I can name two shooters at our local range who were ready to sell their handguns within the past six months; one owned a Springer and the other had a Colt. One simply had crappy extractor tension and the other was using a POS mag and poorly spec'd reloads. Each fix took about two minutes.

Ala Dan
October 14, 2008, 09:16 AM
Like my friemd Wildfire I trust my life to a 3" SS Kimber Ultra Carry II,
pictuered here~! I by-pass the 5" 1911's (Les Baer TRS, Smith & Wesson
#108282, and Springfield WW-II G.I. replica) along with my old duty piece
(West German SIG-SAUER P220A .45 ACP); in favor of the little Kimber. It
has been flawless from round #1~! :scrutiny: :cool: ;)

Kindrox
October 14, 2008, 09:21 AM
The last time I went to the range, the guy next to me was shooting a 3" Kimber. Every few shots the action either failed to go into battery, or had some kind of jam. I don't know the story behind it, but my Colt Defender has not had any problems.

Pat-inCO
October 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
This perhaps has been discussed before, but I have just recently joined THR.

Some claim that Kimber quality is spotty and that they are over priced. Others say that Kimber is the best, etc.
This comes up at least once per month. SEARCH is your friend.

Most complaints are from people that do not own Kimbers or have called Kimber customer service and then proceed to tell Kimber how to do their job. :banghead:

BigO01
October 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
If they had done their job right the first time the customer would never be calling the service department now would they ?

Ske1etor
October 14, 2008, 09:31 AM
If they had done their job right the first time the customer would never be calling the service department now would they ?

So Kimber is the only manufacturer to ever ship out a less than stellar product? Please tell me that last post was a joke...

Walkalong
October 14, 2008, 10:11 AM
I agree with Ala Dan. I have a Kimber CDP II Ultra (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54227&d=1172878665) that I bet my life on at times. It has been flawless from round one with a wide variety of ammo.

I had a Kimber CDP Pro that was finicky about extracting, but called Kimber and they sent me a new extractor. Worked like a champ after that.

gunnie
October 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
i have seen bad product from kimber and colt. IT IS A MASS PRODUCTION PROBLEM. i am not partial, i own both flavors, and like them. mine haven't had much in the way of repairs, except for a staked front sight on a series 70 that went south 20k+ rounds downstream. nothing lasts forever.

another option is that we could be paying 2K for hand fitted 1911's from both. i think that would raise a weeping and gnashing of the teeth that would make current quality whines pale in comparison.

gunnie

Hawk
October 14, 2008, 11:51 AM
Everybody ships a lemon now and again. An Eclipse proved to be quite nice; an Ultra CDP was a steaming heap that couldn't be made to run without removal of a faulty FPB.

But sometimes I wonder how long a story like mine stays relevant. I've heard of few similar cases in the recent past and those have generally been resolved to the owner's satisfaction.

Digging through the archives I find a post of mine from 2002 (TFL) while love was still in the air. The FPB signed off in late 2003 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=527509&postcount=13).

So I wonder, how long will the busted FPB dog Kimber? Every time I post about it there's a chance it'll be picked up by a search engine. At some point, someone researching the matter will wonder if he found 100 FPB failures or 1 failure reported 100 times.

This epiphany came up side my head when I noticed some of the S&W lock failure stories were of a similar age. So I'm going to quit posting about my personal Kimber debacle. At least until I see another 5 year old S&W lock failure story trotted out like it happened yesterday.

There should probably be a statute of limitations on these sorts of reports.

Crow1108
October 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
I have a Stainless II. I love it. It's dead-on accurate, and eats FMJ and JHP alike. Only problem I had with it was attributed to magazines (Wilson 47Ds). Sold em to a buddy of mine, bought a few Kimpro Tac mags, and the problems went away.

WoofersInc
October 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
I currently have 7 of them. I have had very little issue with them. Not one of mine has had to go to a gunsmith or back to Kimber for any work. I have had some grip panels come loose during firing on the guns when they were new but that was easily fixed with a little Lock-Tite. A few failures to return to battery when new also, but that has also gone away with more shooting (break in). I would happily buy more if current finances would allow. And I use them as my carry guns, so I also trust my life to them.
I also have 1911's from Springfield, Taurus, Charles Daly, and Rock Island. So I am not blindly brand loyal.

mljdeckard
October 14, 2008, 04:15 PM
If you search and read Kimber threads, you find it is a question of which group gets control of it first, the lovers or the haters.

Keep in mind, it was Kimber that started the semi-custom craze in the mid-90s. They sold a LOT of guns. If you see a lot of complaints about them, one must also weigh that against how many are out there. I think of it as Ford Taurus syndrome. SO MANY Tauruses were made and sold, it's impossible to not know someone who has had problems with one, just because of the law of large numbers.

After carrying and using a dozen or so handguns extensively, including a few different 1911mfrs, I have decided that I will probably keep my Custom II until I die, and use it for just about everything. Between .45s and a .22 conversion kit, I can't remember the last time I had a stoppage.

One thing I have managed to discern, if you DO get a bad one, with a bad extractor or failure related to MIM parts, (Which I have NEVER observed personally) it will be early on, like within the first 5000 rounds. If you make it past that range, and you haven't had any problems, you probably won't for a long time. Just remember what Clint Smith preaches. EVERY gun breaks eventually.

Hawk
October 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
One thing I have managed to discern, if you DO get a bad one, with a bad extractor or failure related to MIM parts, (Which I have NEVER observed personally) it will be early on, like within the first 5000 rounds.
Which reminds me that my UltraCDP also had an ambi safety that shattered like fine crystal while being shot - that was eerie.

But, like the man said, both it and the FPB plunger were within 1K rounds - actually, I think both mine were within 500. If it makes it to 1K it'll probably be fine. Then the Clint Smith clock starts ticking but it ticks for every gun - not just Kimbers.

IMTHDUKE
October 14, 2008, 07:09 PM
I have this one that I have not fired a lot, but keep thinking it's goin break because I read these threads that tell me it will, but hasn't done anything but go bang yet.

This is a custom shop production. Does that have any positive effect? I don't know. Just asking.
http://photos.gafana.com/photos/1416252900996562507945.share.jpg

mljdeckard
October 14, 2008, 07:40 PM
The ads that run during "Guntalk" make it sound like the CDP series are from the custom shop, and therefore better.

steelyblue
October 14, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have a couple of great Kimbers. My Dan Wesson is good, but my Kimbers outshoot it. They have been 100% reliable for over 4000 rounds.

bandreassen
October 14, 2008, 09:27 PM
Just bought my first handgun, a Kimber Stainless II, .45. Researched this purchase for a while, and tried to shoot a number of guns, not just 1911's. But the balance, finish and accurary sold me on the Kimber. Already plan on getting the conversion kit........it's a real money pit, isn't it ?????

OOOXOOO
October 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It took a good 250 rounds to break in, but after that no problems. In the first 100 I had a bunch of FTF's. It runs smooth now. My friend is a 1911 guy and he looks down his nose at anything that doesn't have a Colt(I tease him that it's My Pretty Pony) on the side. When I compared his 70 series to my Kimber the Kimber was made to much tighter tolerances(his does have more use). The only thing I don't like is their use of MIM. It works, but I bet the MIM parts will be the first thing to wear out or break. I wear it OC when attending upscale(for me) events. She is pretty.

JoeSlomo
October 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
Back in the mid 90's I bought my first 1911. A springer A-1. It shot anything and everything I put into it with NO issues. I made some modifications because I WANTED to, ie trigger job, grip safety etc, to make it better for me.

About a year later I bought a springer ultra compact. It shot everything I put into it as well. No issues.

This spring I bought a Kimber to use as a game gun. I made some modifications because I HAD to in order to get it to fire reliably. I averaged a stoppage every 30 rounds or so right out of the box due to the GUN and NOT the mags / ammo / whatever. After tweaking and reshaping the extractor and a new mag release, it is reliable and now feeds anything and everything.

Last week I bought a STI Spartan to replace my Kimber as my game gun. It has worked straight out of the box, and like my springers, I will make modifications because I WANT to and not because I HAVE to.

You MAY get lucky with your Kimber purchase. Many people do. I did NOT, and will NEVER buy another of their products. For $1K spent, you should NOT have to modify the thing to get it to work reliably. The Kimber is the ONLY gun I have that has made me "fix" it before it would shoot.

Kimber QC?

/spit

Hawk
October 14, 2008, 10:35 PM
I don't have a problem with a manufacturer demanding that I run 500 rounds through a firearm before they'll take me seriously.

...if they include a 200.00 check with the gun.

In case nobody's noticed, ammo prices have gone up and it now costs a fair amount of money to complete somebody else's sloppy QC on my dime.

I found that for far less I can buy Dawson's "Enhancement Package" which may or may not include a "break-in". What I know it includes is freight both ways if it glitches up with NO WHINING about "check different factory rounds" or "are you sure you're not limp wristing it?". If it doesn't run, it's defective and will be fixed. Gratis. No freight for the customer's account - none.

I like that.

I'd cheerfully pay 150.00 extra for that sort of peace of mind with Kimber. But I won't hold my breath for that day to come.

Meantime I'll just buy STI - they're not as pretty as my Eclipse but they run first time, every time and that's worth a little polymer pain.

cliffy
October 14, 2008, 10:45 PM
A .45 ACP Kimber never misfires, never stovepipes, never fails. That's a fairly good recommendation in my opinion. It's also pretty to look-at and to fondle. Many cost more, but none more dependable. PLUS I can hit what I aim at with a KIMBER 5" barrel. What's not to like? The Price? Once passed that quandry, it's all golden. cliffy

possum
October 14, 2008, 10:48 PM
there are the things you hear and then the things you know, i have shot/used/ trained with at least 6 different models of kimber 1911's and i haven't had a negative thing to say about any of them, from thier lower line to thier most expensive stuff.

Hawk
October 14, 2008, 11:04 PM
there are the things you hear and then the things you know,...
Agreed.
I've had two Kimbers. One was, and remains, very nice.

Dihappy
October 15, 2008, 12:27 AM
Ultra CDP II owner here, and not a single problem from day one.

Nada, zilch, its perfect!

EHL
October 15, 2008, 03:20 AM
Kimber Ultra Eclipse II owner here, she's a beautiful pistol. That's just the icing though. She has fed every piece of crap ammo I have ever fed her. Some of the stuff I made when I first beginning to learn how to reload my own ammo!:uhoh: This gun has been dropped on the street (by accident of course), shot to hell, carried, and fondled by many envious admirers. She still shoots perfect. The only changes I made were: new aluminum mainspring housing, new Crimson Trace grips, new Truglo TFO sights, and a minor smoothing of the sear and hammer. Then again, I am pretty anal about all of my guns. But this gun works great. Would highly recommend one to anybody looking to enter the 1911 platform.:D

smartshooter.45
October 15, 2008, 07:31 AM
i own a Kimber Pro Carry 2 that i baught new online from the armory. when i first started firing the gun it would occasionally ftf on the first round from my clips. i was using one factory mag and two KimPro Tacmags. it would fail with both types. i did some reading and asking on THR and found that it was most likely an extractor tension issue (it was too tight). so i disassembled the slide and tuned the extractor(slight bending, no machining). after the extractor was tuned i have not had one FTF since. that was about 500 rounds ago and counting. i now concealed carry my kimber and trust my life to it. it eats all types ive fed it (FMJ/JHP). it is SUPER accurate, feels great in my hand, is a bit lighter then most 1911's and has some great extra features that you would not get on alot of stock 1911's.

on a side note my roommate conceal carries a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 and loves it. it has been flawless since round #1. its a 3" barrel but is still accurate. both are beautys.

+1 Kimber

Southern6er
October 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
As far as Kimbers go, it seems I hear more issues with the Ultra line, then the Pro then the fullsize. The pro really benefits from the Wolff springs, but the 3" barrel on the ultras may be part of the problem. While not ALL of the ultras are bad (as noted, several on here have good ones), they would tend to be the pickier of the sizes to take ammo.

My Pro Carry II has been just fine, but I'll be swapping in the Wolff springs for the 4" barrel when that time comes. Hoping it will tighten it up just a bit.

hemiram
October 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
It just kills me that they cost an insane amount of money (IMHO), and many of them need to be tweaked to be even close to reliable. I can't bring myself to spend $1000+ for a gun I'm actually going to shoot (Not buying it for an investment), let alone one that isn't as reliable as any of my CZ clones that cost about a third what a Kimber costs. I won't even go into the limp wristing stuff now..

Stevie-Ray
October 16, 2008, 01:11 AM
I trust my life to a Kimber also. Ultra CDP II in .45 ACP, and I have and love Colts. But Colt didn't make a 3" 1911 like the UCDP. In the years I've owned it, it has not disappointed me, as it's my most accurate handgun out of the box. I'd still like to have a Commander-sized Colt.

xrockdawgx
October 16, 2008, 04:53 AM
I would love to be stateside right now and get together with even just one of the people on here that own an Ultra, and do some comparisons. Like I said earlier, of the two Kimbers I have, the Ultra has been a nightmare. I am currently deployed, and cannot, off the top of my head, remember what exactly it was that Kimber did to it when i sent it in for repair, but it did not improve the problem at all... Not that doing comparisons between my unreliable Ultra and a reliable Ultra would revieve the cause of the problem, but it would be a nice endevor anyway.

Hezz700
October 16, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hi Folks,

Sorry to bust in on your thread, but i reckon this is the best spot to get the advise i need. I had my first experience with a Kimber last year while traveling around your country.Since then i've wanted one, the SIS Custom/RL to be exact. And if i am to go through the Mountain of redtape to import one, it would seriously put my mind at ease to know what you guys think. I am of the mindset "Buy once and buy right" and this is particularly important to me when purchasing new additions for my gun safe. How well does kimber compare to Les Bear, Wilson, Sti or Para Ordnance?

Hezz
Ireland

Geno
October 16, 2008, 07:58 AM
If you are so inclined, you can do a search of my previous Kimber posts and experiences. I likely have owned as many or more Kimbers as anyone at THR, well north of 2-dozen. Yeaup. Most of my Kimbers were excellent! Five were defective. Three of those were repaired properly and timely. One was never fixed properly, even after three returns to the "custom" shop. One was returned defective, and literally untouched...this after a promise to repair it. These five pistols were "Custom Shop" pistols.

I submit that the problem is not Kimber (or any company's) base quality. The potential problem is how good is the service when you have to call on them for warranty repair. You will eventually have to make a warranty repair of any company's firearms. It's a matter of simple probability. For that matter, one of my Colt 1911s left the factory without the receiver "receiving" its final belt-sander finishing...it had an ocean of waves all across the top. :) Odd, isn't it? Well, it too was repaired fast and properly.

This is what I suggest: buy the 1911 that strikes your fanacy, whatever the make and model and caliber. Before you buy it, insist, and I mean insist that you be allowed to (or have the FFL) break the pistol down so you can examine it inside out. If it passes your inspection, buy it and shoot the hades out of it. :D Enjoy it for what it is...a 1911.

Doc2005

wtfd661
October 16, 2008, 08:50 AM
Kimber Tactical Ultra II has run 100% out of the box (going on 3 yrs now) not 1 single problem is a great weapon

jocko
October 16, 2008, 08:59 AM
sure is nice to read the comments about the kimbers. here is a $1000 plus handgun that 30% stated they didn't work right out of the box. Hell maybe my jennings J22 justneeds 500 more break in rounds through it!!!!!

bigcim
October 16, 2008, 04:29 PM
My 10mm has been running excellent
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/cimy89/1210744505-1.jpg

smartshooter.45
October 18, 2008, 03:08 AM
sure is nice to read the comments about the kimbers. here is a $1000 plus handgun that 30% stated they didn't work right out of the box. Hell maybe my jennings J22 justneeds 500 more break in rounds through it!!!!!

i wouldnt make your own statistics based off of the number of gun posts. people are more likely to post about their gun when it is NOT working so they can figure out how to fix it. also everyone keeps saying "$1000+" for kimbers... this is not correct. i payed $720 after shipping and ffl for my NEW IN BOX pro carry 2 which i carry and love. it was not an amazing deal and it is still available for this price off of the armory. when comparing manufacturers/makes just be fair.
cheers

Wildfire
October 18, 2008, 04:44 AM
Hey There:
When it comes to quality there are other things to consider. The guns are made right.. Kimber has no control over someone limp wristing the thing , Not understanding it, or feeding it the wrong ammo. The Ultra line is made of Aluminum . Frame and slide. Alum. does not like to slide on Alum. They work very well with good lube. If too dry that type of frame and slide may give ya fits. Mine works very well..
I have an older Colt (70) and have fired over 100k rounds through it in competition. It has been worked on so many times I can not remember them all.
Any gun and I don't care who made it if fired a lot will come up with some kind of issues. Even revolvers wear out. Things like extractor problems are no different then putting a new spark plug in your lawn mower.
Parts go bad even new ones. If parts fell off the gun I would say you would have a quality issue. If No one can shoot it and hit anything with it I would say you have a quality issue. Or bad ammo. My old Colt has had a steady diet of SWC for that 100K rounds . Never jam ? Bull... And always at the wrong time... But it is the most reliable gun I own. The Kimber is next.
The kimber is a carry weapon and not a target gun.. (Ultra Carry 2) 3" barrel and very accurate.. 50 yards ? Not !!!! not suposed to be. But it goes bang every time and that is why I own it. And carry it every day....
Any good dry lube will keep it running smooth. Limp wristing those little farts can be an issue... They are small and sassy ...
Choose what you will.... But they all need attention... A good 1911 shooter can make any brand work ..... Have fun with what ever you get.

gunnie
October 18, 2008, 06:12 AM
+1

gunnie

rundm
October 18, 2008, 08:43 PM
I have the covert 4in 45 and the ultra carry 11. I also have several glocks and colts to go along with those 2. My kimbers are by far the most accurate that I have and I have not had any problems with either of the 2. I can also say that I have not had any problems with any of my 45's up to this point. I have had a problem with a glock 10mm but that was my fault for not getting good reloads and I should have known better. I do not shoot reloads in that one anymore. I do not shoot much other than ball ammo in my guns now because I don't want to have any problems. I used to have a colt 1911 a1 when they first came out years ago, it use to jam up all the time. I had the feed ramp polished and it was the most accurate hand gun that I have ever owned. Right now, the covert with the crimson trace grip is the most accurate I own. Right out of the box the gun shot 4-5 in groups off hand at 20 yards with the laser. You just point and shoot. Also, I am not very stable all the time when aiming so it is a testament to the gun as to how accurate it is. RG

maddog1775
October 19, 2008, 10:06 PM
Speaking from my own experience:

The first handgun I purchased was a Kimber TLE-RL II (with the dreaded external extractor) and I have put more rounds through it than any other pistol in my possession. I had a few failures to feed in the first 300 rounds or so, which never happened again once I started using Wolff and Wilson mags. Since then it has run like a Timex. It simply never, ever malfunctions.

Voland
October 19, 2008, 10:22 PM
I think most of the problems that people have with any 1911's are caused by not lubricating enough... Just add a few drops of oil on the slide and you will never ever have any problems.

I have two Kimber Classics and these are the two guns that I wish to give to my children. Over 1000 rounds in each since I got them (got them used so I dont know how much was put through them before they came home with me) and I have had exactly 0 failures with either one. I would also invest in some quality mags. The cheap ones can cause problems.

V.

acn001
October 23, 2008, 08:52 AM
I am new here and have quick question.

I have a Kimber Eclipse Pro II, I put in an 18lb. spring and a new firing pin spring. Shot approx. 100 rounds. Had some feeding issues, and also 3 times the action came back to fast and didn't even have time to fee the next round. I figured that this was b/c of the new springs and they needed to worn in a bit. But, when I went to strip the gun for cleaning the the plug set on the guide rod was stuck in the front of the action. I had to bang it out. Now the lip on the plug does not want to enter the hole on the action so I can put it back together. The lip does show some damage but I don't see why the lip would catch?????

PLEASE PM ME!!! I CAN'T SEEM TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD. THIS FIREARM HAS BEEN WITH ME FOR 5 YEARS NOW AND THIS IS A FIRST. PLEASE HELP ME OUT PEOPLE...THIS IS MY BABY...

Wildfire
October 24, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hey ;
IMO, that spring is too light. 20 lb or 22 lb. I see guys go light all the time.
I learned the hard way years ago...

Rob G
October 25, 2008, 03:35 AM
+1 for Kimber being a quality gun

I bought 2 last tax season, a Custom TLE and a Compact CDP. Both of them have been absolutely flawless and the the Custom is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned with the CDP being only a hair behind it. The only problem I've had with either of them is the current cost of ammunition.

I know I've heard of people having problems with them but it seems to me that it's a pretty small group when compared to people I talk to that love them. So I say if you like a Kimber, then buy it, I don't think you'll regret it.

jrou111
October 25, 2008, 04:01 AM
Bought a Kimber Pro Carry II LG last week. After lubing it's functioning great. The grips are a little wide for me though.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/my%20guns/PICT0971-1.jpg

SCKimberFan
October 25, 2008, 09:38 AM
You will find people that like them and people that hate them. The best way to go is to rent one from a range or borrow one from a friend and try it for yourself. As with any man-made object, some will be made well, others not so much.

Personally I have had 2 (I still have 1 an Eclipse Pro II) and I would buy another if I were in the market for a .45.

acn001
October 25, 2008, 02:58 PM
Your right, the gun store I went to said it was an 18 so I went with it. Later find out that it was supposed to be a 22. Had to buy another plug for the guide rod b/c it got stuck in the action... Wonderfull... Should have went with my gut...

vinflouen
September 30, 2009, 12:00 AM
I want to add that I have a kimber pro raptor, and it was a little bitchy at first, but after 1k rounds of nothing but ball ammo, this gun is tops.
I would trust my life to it as it is my carry. I shoot USPSA with it as well.

Lv4snobrdg
January 8, 2010, 04:14 PM
lots of fun acronyms, try this one: IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)

I own two Kimbers.

First one has a story. I inherited it, or more accurately I stole it off a dead family member. Maybe I over dramatize. My uncle would have wanted me to have it he said as much and much ado about my military experience and how if he had had a son he would have wanted him to be in the army and have this gun upon his departure, but his memory was not great and he never relayed this to his children, my cousins.

So when I was asked by my cousin to transport my uncle's extensive collection of firearms to them, a 1300 mile drive done to avoid FFL transfers and whatnot, and I was sore that they would not make the effort, or pay for gas or do anything of any kind to show appreciation, to retrieve this very valuable collection on their own accord. Well I removed a well used Custom TLE/RL from the stash and made it my own. I had options, an HK, a Sig, a pair of matching Colt CMDRS, a Glock (all chambered in .45 ACP) and a really beautiful Peacemaker.

When I put my first rounds through it I had 3 feed jams in less than 2 mags. The recoil spring was replaced by the range master with the factory 16lbr and no more issues as I tore through about 1k of Wolf steel casings my uncle had double sealed up in a 50 cal ammo can, I have that too. I took the initiative replaced the main spring and bought a second recoil spring for replacement later on. Upon inspecting the box the weapon was in I found the official warranty receipt from Yonkers stating that this TLE had its external extractor replaced in the factory, FOC.

Kimber #2: I just got a Custom SIS for Christmas from my wife. I of course inspected this weapon carefully before my wife snuck out bought it, well she thinks she is sneaky and I love her, but I knew what was there and it was a thrill to have it under the tree. I have not seen any tool marks or rust and when properly lubricated the weapon functions without error. I DO NOT put steel casings through this pistol. Only nickel and brass and so far only brass. I have only had the damn thing for 3 weeks and I have put about 500 rounds of Remington 230 FMJ through it. No issues, not once. It is a fine pistol and if a cop would trust his life to it than by default your life has been entrusted to it as well.

The 1911 was the first military purpose sidearm submitted to the rigors of a 5000 round shooting/testing procedure. It has served as the official side arm of U.S. pilots, gunners, officers and anyone else who could get their hands on it though nearly a century of war. Cold or hot. There is no way anybody could count how many american lives have been saved by this pistol. NO POSSIBLE WAY!

The Beretta made a valiant attempt but as we probably all know that was a business decision not a strategic one. As I understand it the U.S. military is going back to the .45 ACP. I wonder if this "old gun" will return also.

In summation the Kimber is a fine pistol in the hands of someone that has the knowledge to operate it, the patience to aim it and the gumption to pull the trigger when the time comes. It is equally adept for plinking as it is for protection of our nation. It is however a pain in the azz, and quite dangerous, to disassemble and reassemble. There must be an easier handgun in the world to clean ;)

The overlying point of the posts above is "Quality is in the eye of the beholder" So you have to come up with a way to determine if the pistol is of the right quality for you. Me? I do a couple easy things, and one not so easy, when examining a pistol, i only need one tool, a six inch steel rule.

With the pistol assembled, and caps installed if the dealer prefers, dry fire and hold the trigger, rack the slide and slowly release the trigger. I should feel a definite and unmistakable trigger reset and then squeeze again. If it is a short reset distance (dislike long trigger pulls) feels like butter smooth, then I like it.

Then I will shake it slide locked open and closed, hard, I don't want to hear much noise, some but not allot, shake a few different ones, shake a glock sometime sounds like a baby rattle, I am buying a gun not a rattle. A weapon is a precision instrument and should be manufactured to the tightest of tolerances. Parts that fit loosely wear quickly, parts that fit too tight wear faster, everything should move easily and as intended. Even the slide lock. Test all the moving parts that you can and ensure they don't move left and right if they are only intended to move up and down.

I take it apart, if the dealer will allow it. With my rule I measure the upper and lower to see for myself that it was properly milled (the dealer usually rolls his eyes at me when I do this but I am like Rainman when assessing a firearm, single track mind and nothing will bother me) and hasn't been let out more than I would like to see. This is a personal preference and is largely unnecessary to most I know, but I enjoy it and it allows me to spend some time with the firearm, quality time.

The only way to learn anything else about it: IMHO is to fire it, a couple hundred times.

Peace.

EddieNFL
January 8, 2010, 05:05 PM
Some claim that Kimber quality is spotty and that they are over priced.

These would be the folks who had problems or those who read bad things on the internet.

Others say that Kimber is the best, etc.

These would be the folks who had no problems or those who read good things on the internet.

I bought my first Kimber about nine years ago; Eclipse Custom. After about 30K the only malfunctions were ammo or mag related. Bought a Tactical Custom a couple years later; total lemon. After a very disgusting conversation with Kimber, I took it to a local smith and paid him to do what Kimber should have done in their "custom" shop. About a year ago I held my breath and bought an Ultra Raptor. Before test firing I properly adjusted the extractor and replaced the SS (later learned the stock SS was out of spec).

IMO Kimber's problems are insufficient test firing/quality control and shoddy customer service. Firing more than a few rounds would stop a great number of simple problems from reaching the customer. I see more comments that read, "I love my Kimber. At first I had a problem with blah, blah, blah, but it was a simple fix." If it was so simple, why didn't Kimber fix it before it shipped?

Reading the posts on the http://forum.m1911.org leads me to believe they don't know how to adjust an extractor and continue to knowingly ship models with out-of-spec slide stops.

Also, it seems they're having problems with cracked frames in their lightweight models.

It's really a shame. IMO they turn out some darn good-looking guns.

EddieNFL
January 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
It is however a pain in the azz, and quite dangerous, to disassemble and reassemble.

Expound, please.

rellascout
January 8, 2010, 05:22 PM
Why did the Mimber fan feel the need to revive this year old thread?

Common MIM parts on Mimber Firearms.

Slide stop, hammer, sear, disconnecter, mag catch, plunger tube, firing pin stop, thumb safety, ejector, beaver tail.

MSH is plastic.

Quality American craftsmanship at its finest.

rellascout
January 8, 2010, 05:24 PM
These would be the folks who had no problems or those who read good things on the internet.

I bought my first Kimber about nine years ago; Eclipse Custom. After about 30K the only malfunctions were ammo or mag related. Bought a Tactical Custom a couple years later; total lemon. After a very disgusting conversation with Kimber, I took it to a local smith and paid him to do what Kimber should have done in their "custom" shop. About a year ago I held my breath and bought an Ultra Raptor. Before test firing I properly adjusted the extractor and replaced the SS (later learned the stock SS was out of spec).

IMO Kimber's problems are insufficient test firing/quality control and shoddy customer service. Firing more than a few rounds would stop a great number of simple problems from reaching the customer. I see more comments that read, "I love my Kimber. At first I had a problem with blah, blah, blah, but it was a simple fix." If it was so simple, why didn't Kimber fix it before it shipped?

Reading the posts on the http://forum.m1911.org leads me to believe they don't know how to adjust an extractor and continue to knowingly ship models with out-of-spec slide stops.

Also, it seems they're having problems with cracked frames in their lightweight models.

It's really a shame. IMO they turn out some darn good-looking guns.

QFT! I know a lot of people who will not buy a Kimber made after 2000. Guess who was in charge of Kimber around 2000.
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/aboutus/management/Ron-Cohen-L.jpg

Lv4snobrdg
January 8, 2010, 05:32 PM
Eddie,

The recoil spring and the way it is removed is dangerous IMHO. I have never lost control of it myself but I can only imagine what could happen if it was not disassembled with the greatest of caution.

TY

HisSoldier
January 8, 2010, 05:33 PM
there are the things you hear and then the things you know

Pull the slide stop out and look carefully at the backside, then you too will know. The parts are MIM. If you believe MIM is equal to forged or machined from bar, or cast parts, then you have found your gun.

RIA uses a lot of MIM parts and costs 1/3 as much.

I like my Mimber, but would never have bought it if I'd known.

EddieNFL
January 8, 2010, 05:38 PM
Eddie,

The recoil spring and the way it is removed is dangerous IMHO. I have never lost control of it myself but I can only imagine what could happen if it was not disassembled with the greatest of caution.

TY
Sort of like muzzle control?

IMO an inanimate object cannot be dangerous; the end user introduces the danger.

Lv4snobrdg
January 8, 2010, 05:41 PM
I agree totally Eddie.

rellascout
January 8, 2010, 05:42 PM

Isn't that true of any 1911 or any spring under tension for that matter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber Quality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!