Does accuracy degrade with increased speed in a sporter weight barrel?

PDA

GJgo
October 14, 2008, 12:01 AM
What do you guys think? In both my sporter weight rifles, they like the heavier bullets at around 3000 FPS for accuracy. When I go to a lighter bullet with more velocity the groups fall off.

Come to think if it, even in my heavy barrel rifles they seem to shoot better wth heavy-for-the-twist bullets. (as opposed to "too" heavy for the twist.) I can say that this is true for everything I own and have owned, except for the two 223s I've had with a 9 twist- they shot 50/55gr better than 68/69.

It's just something I was thinking about tonight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does accuracy degrade with increased speed in a sporter weight barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SimpleIsGood229
October 14, 2008, 12:30 AM
I think your rifles just favor heavier bullets. I highly doubt it's velocity-related.

browningguy
October 14, 2008, 12:37 AM
Nope, one has nothing to do with the other. Every barrel is going to be just a little bit different, but if you take the entire population of sporter weight barrels, they will display a marked difference in ammo preference. Although it will probably wind up being something of a bell curve as regards preferred weight of bullet and velocity.

trstafford
October 15, 2008, 02:21 AM
That is why reloaders vary the powder charges until they get the optimum loading for each particular gun. It is a combination of the right speed and harmonics for each barrel.

Double Naught Spy
October 15, 2008, 07:27 AM
I can say that this is true for everything I own and have owned, except for the two 223s I've had with a 9 twist- they shot 50/55gr better than 68/69.

This is a twist rate issue. Your 68/69 gr. ammo would prefer a faster twist rate than your 50/55 gr. ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does accuracy degrade with increased speed in a sporter weight barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!