Savage 12 groups

PDA

atlanticfire
October 13, 2008, 11:48 PM
Wanted some input on some groups I shot today. I only get to a range about twice a month, so my abilities could be better. I'm more than sure the rifle could do much better. Both groups where shot with hand loads.
168 gr SMK HTBP
44 Gr Varget
Win Brass
WLR primers
Here is 200 yards (http://www.jaybiddle.com/images/details.php?image_id=10)
Here is 300 (http://www.jaybiddle.com/images/details.php?image_id=9)
The 200 was 7 rounds, and the 300 was 5.
Let me know what you think good or bad. Maybe give me some tips.:o

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 12 groups" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
October 13, 2008, 11:50 PM
Nice way to Bragg:):)

rangerruck
October 14, 2008, 12:09 AM
excellent groups, all appear to be .5 moa or better; but I gotta say, strange
stringing of the groups, what do you think that is?

Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 12:11 AM
Are you kidding me? You missed the quarter, twice!

atlanticfire
October 14, 2008, 12:13 AM
I think it was just me. I was shooting from a bipod and sand bag. There was a little cross wind. Maybe about 8 to 10 mpg. not constant though. Could that cause that "Stringing" effect?

Geno
October 14, 2008, 12:14 AM
Darned good groups.

esmith
October 14, 2008, 12:14 AM
I hate you.......

atlanticfire
October 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
Are you kidding me? You missed the quarter, twice!

I know! Maybe I should try silver dollars!

skinewmexico
October 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
The stringing could be due to barrel heat, or a bedding problem.

atlanticfire
October 14, 2008, 01:19 PM
This was after shooting for a while. Maybe a little heat was the factor. I'll have to get back out when I can and try again. Go right to 300 cold and not start at the 200.

skinewmexico
October 14, 2008, 02:38 PM
How long do you wait between shots?

atlanticfire
October 14, 2008, 09:46 PM
about 30 seconds between shots, then would give it about 2-3 min after 5 shots.

HB
October 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
The stringing could be due to barrel heat, or a bedding problem.
That is true, but I wouldn't change a thing :D

mdThanatos
October 14, 2008, 10:39 PM
Just curious but what caliber is the rifle in?

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 10:45 PM
I know! Maybe I should try silver dollars!

Or maybe a .50 cal.

skinewmexico
October 14, 2008, 11:14 PM
I've always heard at least 3 minutes between shots if you don't want the barrel heat to be a factor. But I honestly don't know where that came from.

atlanticfire
October 14, 2008, 11:32 PM
Its in .308. I'll try the waiting thing next time for a few groups and see if anything improves. I still think allot of it is just me and my inexperience.

rangerruck
October 14, 2008, 11:40 PM
I would say we need some info on any tweeks you did to the rifle; free floated, bedded, what kind of stock, etc? I also would wait 1 whole minute, even before, you start to settle in for the next shot. Even if it is free floated, I would check the free float, after you heat the bbl up some.

atlanticfire
October 14, 2008, 11:56 PM
Come to thing of it your right. I never checked it after it was heated up a bit. Its an unmodified Savage 12 F/TR. Bushnell Elite 4200 8x32x40 with a harris pod on it. Trigger is set to about 1 lb.

CRITGIT
October 15, 2008, 12:12 AM
Take A lap!:D

CRITGIT

atlanticfire
October 15, 2008, 12:27 AM
Take A lap!
What are you trying to say?:scrutiny:

rangerruck
October 15, 2008, 03:19 AM
well , the ft/r with some good bushnell glass, I would say you could maybe do better. I would say the rifle MAY have the capability of cutting those groups sizes in half again. I would say , do a good cleaning job on it, especially for copper,if yo have to , get one of those reverse electroplating bbl cleaners, or build your own with about 15 dollars in parts. recheck the freefloat when it heats up. make sure all screws are nice and tight, and if there is a reference you can get, from savage, as to how tight the take down screws should be with a torque wrench, find that out asap.
Even so, I would clean for copper especially , very well, for the next 200 rounds.
after that, I think if everything else is as should be, and tweaked and tightened, and torqued, it should really start to shrink down on those groups. That is, if you are up to the challenge.

atlanticfire
October 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
Iím fairly obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleaning time. :rolleyes:Although I donít know of this ďreverse electroplating bbl cleanersĒ. Could you please explain a little further? Thanks for the tip about the torque, Iíll contact Savage about those numbers. Iíll load a ton more rounds and hit the range. Leaving more time between shots though. And see if I canít do better. And just to have a goal, what is a respectable 300 yard group that would be possible for me to obtain? That is if Iím up to the challenge.;)

skinewmexico
October 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
They're respectable now! You asked how to make them better. And every time you clean it, you're going to have to shoot several shots until it's fouled, and back shooting like it should. Guys in F-Class will shoot a weekend match without cleaning, so don't over-clean. Clean it when your accuracy drops off.

Sam Adams
October 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
an unmodified Savage 12 F/TR. Bushnell Elite 4200 8x32x40 with a harris pod on it.

If you don't mind, how much did that all cost? I've got a Remington 700 that I'm thinking of either accurizing, or selling to replace with a Rem 5R milspec, or selling to replace with a Savage 12FVSS. I'm trying to get the best and most repeatable accuracy for the cheapest price (and I know that none of the options are cheap).

atlanticfire
October 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well, its hard to give you a price since I work for a distributor and get my items at cost. I think I might have 1,300.00 into the whole rig. That includes the Leo rings and bases.

skinewmexico
October 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
Tempting deal on a similar 260 on Savageshooters right now. If I only had a grand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 12 groups" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!