.50 sabots?

PDA

mljdeckard
October 14, 2008, 04:57 PM
I saw these things probably 12 years ago at a gun show, and I have never heard of them since. A guy had a .50 BMG cartridge, loaded with a red plastic sabot, with a .30 slug in the middle. I stared jaw agape, and I stuttered, asking the guy, "what are you getting out of those, 4500?" He said, "Try 5000 feet per second." (The 120mm smoothbore on an M-1 gets 5000 with a sabot anti-armor dart.) I asked him if it could get past the muzzle brakes on most .50s, he said it was no problem.

Is there a DUH! reason I never heard of these things again?

If you enjoyed reading about ".50 sabots?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Slimjim
October 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
SLAP and SLAP-T

Designed for the M2, I wouldnt shoot any sabot in a gun with a muzzle brake.

taliv
October 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
you can buy them at eabco.com

they're dirt cheap

i have shot a bunch of the .30 cal sabots with .224 projectiles. i don't think i could ever get the chrony to get a reading. always gave me errors.

they are wildly inaccurate. i never got one of the 50 cal cause i wasn't keen on shooting a sabot with a muzzle brake and i'm decidedly unkeen on shooting a 50bmg sans brake

Acera
October 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
Here is a link to a discussion on the same thing, with pictures, over at the BOHICA site.

http://bohicaarms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=656

There are some of us who are members of both sites.

I hope this helps.

If you enjoyed reading about ".50 sabots?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!