Rifle for my girlfriend

PDA

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 06:06 PM
Well to start off, my girlfriend really enjoys going shooting with me and is now in the process in getting a her FID (I'm in MA). She doesn't have a lot of money and with school being her #1 priority (well, mine too but oh well) she cannot afford to buy things on the side. I have mentioned it a couple times and it seems like she absolutely loves the idea.

The few times we have been out to the range together we were shooting my .30-06, and the Mosin (She really liked that one :D) she really liked it, although she was a bit timid to the recoil (She is 5'-2", 115 lbs). We have also shot the .22 mag off the back porch and I can tell she liked that much better.

Now I'm on a budget myself. I can probably afford $250 max. I want to get her something that she can really learn to shoot on. I was thinking about a Ruger 10/22, but I have heard it is good to get a bolt action as a first gun, I want her to focus on accuracy, not speed and peppering the target, but I also want a gun that she isn't going to feel is inadequate as soon as she gets used to it. (I have to say, she is a good shot as it is).

The ruger .22lr bolt actions are advertised as "economical", so I thought, hey they look good and are cheap, but they cost like $800. Yeah, real economical.

Marlin, Savage and Mossberg seem like the best bet. Does anyone know the MSRP on the Marlin 935 and the Mossberg 802?

I honestly don't like the look of the Mossberg or the Savage, but of course I'm not just going to hand her the gun I like. I will take her to look at a couple once I narrow things down.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good starting gun? Something that is accurate, solid and dependable and reasonably priced.

And also, I'm kind of wandering into the unknown (for me). What is your advice for a starting gun for my girlfriend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle for my girlfriend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Picard
October 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
I believe that everyone should first own a defensive firearm before a plinker. Therefore, for your budget, I would recommend an SKS. You can still get them for around $200. The 7.62 is a pretty cheap centerfire rifle caliber and it's powerful to boot.

Otherwise, a 10/22 would also be a good choice for a .22 rifle. It's cheap plinking and a tested design, however, personally I would opt for a defensive rifle before a range toy.

skinewmexico
October 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'd get her a Stevens 200 in 223. Great price, great shooter. And nothing makes you want to shoot more like the success you have with a low recoil, accurate caliber.

caseypj
October 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Why not save up and get an AR-15? If it will be her gun, the 10/22 will work and should be fun as well. I can't think of any small bore rifles that are economical and as fun as the 10/22, maybe an AR-15, but that isn't economical for everyone.

edit: I see some recommending a rifle chambered in 7.62X39, I personally am much larger than your girlfriend and I some times have recoil issues with my AK (related to it messing with my hearing protection on recoil), I think you should stick to the .22s with her.

Soldiersurfs
October 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Mossberg 702 can be had for around $100 new

Decker
October 14, 2008, 06:23 PM
well, could get her a 50 bmg in a 12 lb gun and just be done with the dating scene and save the pain of div... n/m, im old and jaded :) (but happily remarried, im a slow learner)

all things considered, if you are on a tight budget for the foreseable future, it is hard to beat a 22, 11 or 12 bucks for 500 shots is easy on the wallet. Hard to beat a savage for raw accuracy out of the box, i'd lean that way myself.

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 06:24 PM
She doesn't need a defensive rifle. She needs something she will be able to shoot. I know it is a good thing to have but that is not what I am looking for. Plus I think 3 German Shepard's should keep the intruders at least at bay.

I have an AR-15 lower. I also have a 20 year old Jeep Wrangler that needs a lot of work. If I could, I would buy her an $900 gun but the fact of the matter is that I am in between jobs (college plays a major role in this), I have to either buy another vehicle or pay a lot to fix the one I have and I have to get her a rifle.

It would be nice but I just can not afford that.

Thats pretty good for the mossberg gun.

And please don't think of my shoot downs personally. I really do appreciate the feedback.

well, could get her a 50 bmg in a 12 lb gun and just be done with the dating scene and save the pain

Do I get to keep the .50 afterwards? =P

Chris M
October 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
I bought my Marlin 60SN semi-auto .22lr for around $140 new.

AbleAmmo (http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=86106) has the 925 bolt gun for less than $180. These guns are very accurate with decent ammo...just stay away from the bulk pack stuff (you know, 500+ rounds for ~$10-15), unless you're strictly plinking.

The Ruger 10/22 has a much stronger following, so there's more stuff available if you ever wanted to upgrade/modify.

Ergosphere
October 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
I've gone through this... my wife is just about exactly that size/weight. She'll shoot a Mosin-Nagant M39 or M1A, she handles recoil just fine, the problem is that most rifles are simply too long for her to hold comfortably, and anything in the 7-9 lb. range is too heavy. After trying a few things, my wife decided she really wants an AR. That's out of your budget, but it's light, short, and handy -- perfect for someone of that size. Another good choice would be a Puma lever-action (1892 clone) in .357 with a 16" barrel, but they're around $500.

It's worth considering another question: what is the purpose of the rifle? Is this just a plinker for the range? If so, I'd get something like a 10/22 carbine or a Marlin 60. For hunting or home defense, you'll want a center-fire rifle, which will likely be out of your budget unless you get a milsurp like an SKS or Mosin-Nagant. In that case, I'd suggest a carbine and maybe a good recoil pad.

Think short and lightweight. :D (My wife also shoots a youth-model Mossberg 505 20ga.)

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
The Ruger 10/22 has a much stronger following, so there's more stuff available if you ever wanted to upgrade/modify.

Thats the thing. I want her to be able to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship, but I don't want her to feel like she has an inadequate rifle in a year or two, when she may not be able to afford to buy one herself.

It's worth considering another question: what is the purpose of the rifle? Is this just a plinker for the range? If so, I'd get something like a 10/22 carbine or a Marlin 60. For hunting or home defense, you'll want a center-fire rifle, which will likely be out of your budget unless you get a milsurp like an SKS or Mosin-Nagant. In that case, I'd suggest a carbine and maybe a good recoil pad.

I want her to learn to shoot a rifle accurately. Although it will mainly be a range rifle she could use it for home defense or hunting but that is not what I am focusing on.

22-rimfire
October 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
Savage Mark II 22LR with composite stock. Should be close to your budget and you might win some points! Looks best in stainless, but it is a bit more than the blue finish price tag. Mount an inexpensive 4x (1" tube) scope for now. Upgrade later to something higher quality. Never happens for me however. I just buy another rifle.

I would have suggested the CZ452, but it's outside your budget unless you want another 22 rifle.

I agree. She doesn't need a defensive rifle. She can use the 22 for a defensive gun should it ever be necessary.

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 06:31 PM
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=112567750

I might have to buy that for myself^

its only $550!

22-rimfire
October 14, 2008, 06:32 PM
I want one of those myself!!

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
I would have suggested the CZ452, but it's outside your budget unless you want another 22 rifle.

Those are really nice. I can honestly say if I she liked that one I would buy it.

22-rimfire
October 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
I would show her that one in a store and look at a few others including the Savage. I am sort of on a Savage kick of late. I'm dying to get my Mark II Classic 22 (walnut stock) out of layaway. I already have a CZ452 Varmint and a number of other good 22 rifles. I even have a Ruger 10/22 deluxe which is okay and fun to plink with. I seldom recommend Ruger 10/22's for anything other than a plinker or project rifle. But it works good for rabbit hunting with the 4x scope on it. Very fast pointer.

The CZ's shoot real good!! The trainer is the cheapest model. I prefer the American with the more traditional design of walnut stock. Ony the trainer and the Lux (Manlicher stock) come with open sights.

paintballdude902
October 14, 2008, 07:03 PM
if you want a bolt look at the new winchester wildcat
i like em alot

Bartkowski
October 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
If you want to buy a .22lr for her look for used ones. Unless of course that wouldn't go over well. I have 2 marlin 25n's that are great guns for the money. One was $75, the other was about $70 even though the lady only wanted $25. (she was a friend of my fathers from work and I couldn't rip her off)

I believe they are very similar to the 925 marlin offers now. If you can find either the 925 or 25 used they would be good picks.

Shawnee
October 14, 2008, 07:14 PM
You've gotten a lot of good suggestions so far so I'll just offer a +1 for the CZ if you/she can afford it. Also - heresy as this will be among the TinkerToy crowd - I wouldn't get her a 10/22. A good trigger is invaluable to all shooters and especially newbies - and the the typical 10/22 is not even in the "good trigger" ballpark. And why buy an incompete rifle and then spend more for tack-ons than you would have spent for an excellent rifle in the first place?

Also I agree with your "thumbs down" to a "defensive gun". Buying a "defensive gun" doesn't make you a defensive shooter any more than buying a piano makes you a Mozart.

HTH
:cool:

gotime242
October 14, 2008, 07:16 PM
get her a marlin!

http://www.impactguns.com/store/026495077501.html

theNoid
October 14, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'd suggest sitting down with her over a nice quiet meal or whatever and discuss the whole thing with her. Get her input on whether this gun will be for defense, hunting, or just plinking around. From there you can determine what caliber is needed. Now you can take her to some gun stores and see what SHE likes and what feels comfy to HER.

Personally I feel that everyone should own a .22 and they make fro great learner guns. With the 10/22 she will be able to build the gun to get better as she does as well. Plus there is so much out there for the 10/22 it will allow her to personalize it.

As far as a semi vs a bolt for beginners I am just not buying it. You can load a semi one at a time just as well.

Over all and most of all, let her be a part of the picking/choosing/buying process and I promise she will like the firearm of choice much better.

Just my thoughts on it all from learning and living with 2 sisters, my mother, my wife and my 16yr old daughter...all of which like shooting.

Noidster

Shawnee
October 14, 2008, 07:25 PM
"Over all and most of all, let her be a part of the picking/choosing/buying process "

That's more important than which rifle you buy.

:cool:

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
I was planning on bringing her up to some gun stores in the future. I am definately for her picking and choosing a gun that feels right to her, but I am just in the early stages.

H2O MAN
October 14, 2008, 07:43 PM
I had tricked out a Colt LE 6920 for my GF but she didn't care for it, I sold
it and relinquished my Winchester Trapper .357 Mag carbine for her to use.

If at all possible, take your GF to a range where she can test drive a short list.

I did baptize my GF with her very first hand gun and she loved it - Glock 21 :evil:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 14, 2008, 08:00 PM
Used gun show Marlin 336 in .30-30 Win - best value going! But a Mossberg 100 ATR or NEF Handi or Rossi single shot would do fine as well, within budget. Caliber: .243 Win

A Stephens 200 (new) does NOT come in within the stated budget. The 100ATR does ONLY without tax/shipping/FFL.

And oh yes, this is most excellent advice:

"Over all and most of all, let her be a part of the picking/choosing/buying process "

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 10:37 PM
I think a .22 will do just fine. I don't want to bother with a pistol caliber carbine (although I hear they are nice) because neither her nor I are over 21 and since we are in MA, a lot of places make you have a LTC to obtain "pistol" ammo.

rangerruck
October 14, 2008, 11:49 PM
for 22's, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a starter from marlin or mossberg, whether in semi auto, or bolt action. they will both be reliable, and accurate.
as for centerfire, a stevens or savage or mossberg, will all be under 300 bucks, and in 243, or 270, they are tame with the recoil. You can actually get a mossberg super bantam, that is made for a child, but has buttstock inserts you can use, to change for the size/arm length of the shooter.

DnPRK
October 14, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hold her interest by making shooting fun.
A 10/22 with a red dot sight will do that.
Once she's hooked, you can expand her horizons into other types of firearms and shooting.

trstafford
October 15, 2008, 01:37 AM
Try one of these for fit and weight. They are available in .223 or 7.62x39, both are great cartridges and have very manageable recoil for a youth or woman. I love mine in 7.62

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=15

chris in va
October 15, 2008, 02:05 AM
My friend was very sad I sold my SKS. She was a great shot with it and it fit her perfect with the short stock. Not much recoil, lots of damage.:p

I also have a CZ carbine and Saiga but she doesn't like either one near as much for some reason.

Jeff F
October 15, 2008, 07:16 AM
If you go with a 10-22 I would look for a used gun with the metal trigger group. The new ones are plastic.

Crowman
October 15, 2008, 06:08 PM
For a .22 RF, take a look at a Browning T-Bolt sporter. It is quite a tack driver (I've gotten three shot strings that were basically one hole) with a good 4X rimfire scope. It is less money than the Ruger bolt models (at least in my neck of the woods).

If centerfire, look at Remington's new model 715 economy rifle in .243 Winchester.

GooseGestapo
October 15, 2008, 11:09 PM
A rifle for your girlfriend ??

Send pictures.
Er, uh, on second thought, don't.................

I got a shotgun for my wifle.

I think I "took" the guy on the deal. (even though the shotgun was a Cresent singleshot, and missfires). Kinda like a govenment worker. It won't work, and you can't fire it!.

Sometimes the dog really misses her, though!

Funderb
October 15, 2008, 11:14 PM
I again recommend the stevens MKII, $130 with extra mag. With federal bulk pack and a cheap chinese 6x scope i can do dime sized groups at 50 yards off my elbows.

It doesn't get much more precise for the money than that.

lefteyedom
October 15, 2008, 11:31 PM
Let the woman chose her own rifle. If she choses one that SHE like she will be happier and a happy woman is a good thing.
There are a slew of good cheap 22 rifles to start with.

As for a deer rifle a 7-08mm is hard to beat.

By the way if she really likes the Moslin you could forvery little cash turn it in to a nice deer rifle.

Dookie
October 16, 2008, 02:15 AM
for your girlfriend, get a used 10/22.

If she does not like something then you can change it. everything from hello kitty to full on tommy gun conversions.

BigBuckMaster
October 16, 2008, 01:16 PM
get a Henry lever action or pump in .22 Mag. you can put a good scope on it and the fun (and hopefully marriage- ha ha :D) gettin squirrls and p-dogs. i like my Henry leaver action. my squirrl gun.

cerberus65
October 16, 2008, 01:33 PM
I recommend a magazine-fed bolt-action .22 to start out with. The magazines make it easier to reload. The bolt-action gives the best accuracy and it will slow her shooting down a bit so she can concentrate on fundamentals.

I had similar criteria when I bought one for me and my boys. I chose the Marlin 980S. It was just within your price range. Marlin also has the 925 that's similarly configured. Here's a query at Bud's that shows some pretty decent prices (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_cat_search.php/cated/40/manufacturers_id/19/ITATR_list%5B1%5D/658/ITATR_list%5B2%5D/110/page/1/sort/5a).

Reid73
October 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
The good news is that you are not the first person wishing to introduce a woman or child to the wonderful world of shooting. So, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

If you check gun shows and pawn stores, it shouldn't take too long to find an inexpensive single-shot or bolt-action .22 equipped with a decent trigger, short length of pull, and adjustable peep sight. That would be an excellent platform for learning the fundamentals and casual plinking. She can always trade it in if she gets 'hooked' and later decides to upgrade.

I believe that everyone should first own a defensive firearm before a plinker.Oh, come on. That's like saying "I believe that everyone should reload", or "I believe that everyone should jog at least twenty miles a week".

Absolute statements are just silly. Some people genuinely need a defensive firearm; some (most?) don't.

Beagle-zebub
October 16, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'd say the Marlin 60. They cost what a 10/22 does, but are more bang for the buck.

theNoid
October 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
I'd say the Marlin 60. They cost what a 10/22 does, but are more bang for the buck.

I am just curious as to why you think this? I am not disagreeing with you here, just wonderin' is all.

Noidster

trekgod3
October 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
I just picked up a New in box Ruger 10/22 from Gander Mountain for myself...I mean my wife .... for only $199. It's the model with fiber optic sights.

buck460XVR
October 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
Have you considered the .17HMR? Many rifles and a few handguns out there for about the same price of .22lr. There are even conversions for the 10/22. It's a very accurate and effective round at ranges that are well beyond .22lr. It has more "omph" that a .22lr, feels more like shooting a ''real'' gun and the cost of shooting is still relatively inexpensive. I've found that unlike .22lr hanguns, .22lr rifles can get old to target shoot with because of the limited range and challenge, whereas the immediate feedback from shooting clay pigeons/bowling pins set out @ 100 yards with a .17HMR is entertaining no matter how much you do it.

The Deer Hunter
October 18, 2008, 09:10 PM
Try one of these for fit and weight. They are available in .223 or 7.62x39, both are great cartridges and have very manageable recoil for a youth or woman. I love mine in 7.62

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=15

I would love to buy her a nice rifle like that but thats a $700 MSPR, and probably about $550-600 retail, and the same for the T-bolt.

She does not have a lot of money, so she can't afford to shoot any kind of large caliber. Even with .223 it costs $7-8/20 rounds for surplus ammo (last time I checked) and when a box of 550 rounds of .22lr costs $15-20 she can afford to have a fun, long range day.

Now I know scopes are cool and stuff, but she has not shot with rifle sights a lot and I want her to learn to shoot good. I have used fiber optic and standard steel sights and I know the steel ones are junk in bad lighting. Fiber optic sights may be a good idea.

And no pink rifles, or any of that hello kitty crap either. Not only would she hate me (and the rifle), I don't need a pink rifle to make shooting more appealing to her-she took a firearm safety course and everything on her own accord.

Dookie
October 19, 2008, 02:13 PM
IMO the 10/22 is one of the most overrated guns ever sold. I've never shot one that I thought actually shot well. I've never shot a Model 60 that didn't shoot well except for maybe mine now because I think I finally wore out the barrel. It took over 50k rounds to do it though. I've shot that thing a LOT for the past 20 years. I think I finally need a new one. You can bet it will be another Marlin. I might buy a used one that isn't quite as used as mine. Mine still shoots ok but it doesn't shoot like it once did. It still shoots as good as any 10/22 I've ever shot though.And in my experience I have never had a 60 that could shoot more that 10 rounds without jamming, brand new, well used or anything in between, and I have found everyone of my 10/22's to be just as accurate as the 60's, from my 1967 carbine to my new SS walmart special.

And what substantial investment? 70 bucks for a barrel that will put you way beyond anything a 60 can do? All the free trigger upgrades?

That 1/8 or 1/4 inch of accuracy you gain from a Marlin 60 is a stupid argument, most people do not bench their gun, for most people, especially first gun owners, being able to shoot reliably and being able to hit that pop can is more important.
If it is going to be a target gun then both are out, but a 10/22 would be the far better choice. If a plinker and/or small game rifle then either will work perfect.
Marlin, Savage, or one of the russian imports will be your best bang for the buck, accurate, great prices on the lower end models, still good prices on the mid price model, will give you room for a lot of ammo and possibly some optics. But she might not like any of them, or might fall in love with the ugliest thing on the shelf, worked for me.

macadore
October 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
Iím a great fan of single shot firearms for non-dangerous targets. If you only have on shot, youíre more likely to concentrate on making it count. I bought a handi-rifle (http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp ) in 223 for my son to learn on when he was ready to step up from the 22 LR. The handi-rifle comes in several different calibers, and changing calibers consists of changing the barrels.

mr.trooper
October 19, 2008, 04:51 PM
Get her the 10/22.

Just teach her to shoot right, and you wont have to worry about "peppering" the target. The most BASE, beginning sliver of self control is all you need.

I got my girlfriend a 10/22 with tech sites as her first gun, and its done well for her.

kitsapcharly
October 19, 2008, 05:44 PM
I really think everybody should start with 22s because they can get a lot, a WHOLE lot of shooting practice very cheaply and without too loud a racket. If you live where you can safely shoot off the back porch that means no range fees.
You must be sure the stock fits her comfortably enough and she can work the action easily so she will like to shoot it. For things like hunting you could let her use your rifle. You're not likely to want to carry out more than one deer in a day. Meanwhile small game with the 22.
You may be able to get a good used gun quite cheaply and use the leftovers for ammo. Also consider a used 22 revolver. If the finish is rough they often go very cheaply. Make it easy to load and double action with decent enough sights and trigger...an easy loader and shooter. Revolversare probably the safest of all guns around beginners and peope who don't know how guns work because you can pretty well see if it's loaded or not and operation is fairly obvious. No surprises like one in the chamber after someone thought they had it unloaded.
As to defensive use 22s can serve when they must at first. Better to have a gun you shoot and can operate than to ventilate the ceiling with something else. Generally avoid automatics as they can be difficult and beginners should not be trying to deal with things that can be frustrating.
If you take her to stores with used guns or gun shows you might equip at low cost. If you have some firearm you really don't use much it might even make a trade-in.:)

benEzra
October 19, 2008, 06:05 PM
Marlin Model 60 or Ruger 10/22, with Wal-Mart Tasco 40mm red dot. Accurate enough to be interesting and learn the fundamentals, but fun enough to hold interest, IMO.

Of those two, I'd personally get the Ruger only because it uses detachable magazines, which I prefer.

trstafford
October 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
I bought my CZ from Gander mountain, They gave me a $100 gift certificate (my wife loved spending that) and I gave about $400.00. Remember it is a lifetime investment so buy the best you can afford especially if you put optics on the gun.

The Deer Hunter
October 20, 2008, 07:22 PM
Guys, if you are going to argue over the accuracy, or why one rifle is better than the other because it has a detachable magazine or not or any of that crap then go make a thread about it. I'm not saying any of you are correct but this is just not the place.

f4t9r
October 20, 2008, 08:35 PM
I would pick the rifle !!!!
I'm sorry I thought I read rifle or Girlfriend :D

sarg
October 20, 2008, 08:44 PM
It's great to see the ladies wanting to shoot. A great .22cal bolt gun is the Remington Model5 $155.00 For deer hunting try find a nice Mauser in7x57 cal. Mild recoil, great cartridge and one of my favorite. Good Luck

SpeedAKL
October 21, 2008, 12:19 AM
I have a Savage Mk.II bolt-action. Nice laminated wood stock, smooth action, easy to use and clean, very accurate, and available for under $250.

The Deer Hunter
October 24, 2008, 10:24 PM
Are you a moderator Deer Hunter? And I don't recall anyone arguing over whether a tube was better than a mag or "any of that crap". I just mentioned that Savage makes guns with mags. Yeah that's an argument for you.

I'll tell you what I think isn't appropriate. It's people who aren't mods telling us what we should post and what we shouldn't. That has no place here.

The thread is about buying a rifle for a girlfriend. Whether a rifle jams every 10 rounds is certainly part of that discussion when people have suggested that rifle as a possible choice. I don't know why I'm explaining this to you. I suppose I wanted others to understand what you said was not right or appropriate. In fact my post was exactly germane to the OP's question.

I made this thread because I am trying to get guidance in purchasing a rifle for my girlfriend. When I mentioned the detachable magazines I was not directly criticizing you, just that trivial facts such as that are brought up in order to "prove" one rifle better than another; which is not the point of this thread. Many of those facts are brought up and I had to use an example. I am sorry if you feel singled out.

If you have noticed, threads on THR get out of hand quickly because people are opinionated. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, or that either rifles are bad, but I am saying that it sounds like someone(s) is trying to press their opinion upon me.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said, because I have an old model 60 that hasn't been cleaned or ever jammed so I'm not trying to defend the rifle you don't like. So its not like this is a personal vendetta because you own a rifle I dislike.

Now you didn't just mention that savage rifles have detachable magazines. You did include quality information about the Marlin 60, and the negative sides of the 10/22 (most over rated rifle thread), which I do appreciate, but what I don't appreciate is your personal, opinionated attitude.

Basically I like input, but I do not like input with such a personal "edge". I don't mean to enrage, but like I said I just don't want it to get out of hand.

I'll tell you what I think isn't appropriate. It's people who aren't mods telling us what we should post and what we shouldn't. That has no place here.

I understand where you are coming from, but I created this thread in the pursuit of knowledge to help me purchase a rifle for my girlfriend. I'm not trying to play the role of moderator but I do think I should have some influence over my own threads.

Barker45
October 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
My wife and I LOVE our CZ452s!!!!! They are beautiful, full-size, and very accurate. They are IMO the best deal on a real .22. We use them to practicing our shooting positions with a good shooting sling and small-game hunting. Marlin also make some very fine .22s. .22= cheap, FUN, practical, and a wonderful way to teach/re-enforce the FUNdamentals of marksmanship!

Oh yeah, I would take your GF to a local gunstore (if there are any left in MA) with a good selection, make an educated reccomendation, and then have HER DECIDE!!!!!

Mad Man
October 25, 2008, 12:51 PM
[ deleted ]

david_the_greek
October 25, 2008, 01:43 PM
I recently took my gf shooting. Now she wants a CCW. What was her favorite gun of the day? AR15!!! I know they are expensive, but often you can find used reliable rifles for cheap. You have a lower, if you buy a delton upper or some kind of used upper for a few hundred you're on step closer. I've seen some decent deals on rifles with a few rounds through them (some seem like they have none, some a few K). Might be out of your price range, but there is nothing better than seeing your GF love shooting... and love shooting an Evil Black Rifle on top of it!

akodo
October 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
deerhunter, there is an economy version of the CZ-452

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/11852

http://www.chuckhawks.com/cz_452_513.htm

transformerguru
October 27, 2008, 10:42 PM
Have you looked at Hi Point 995 carbine. They are fun and relatively inexpensive to shoot.

The Deer Hunter
November 3, 2008, 09:05 PM
Have you looked at Hi Point 995 carbine. They are fun and relatively inexpensive to shoot.

I didn't really look at anything that is chambered in a cartridge that is primarily used by pistols because we are both under 21 and in MA you cannot even posses ammunition for a pistol and although .22lr is used in pistols, your not too likely to get hassled because of having .22lr round.

Another thing is that at some gun shops (Wal-Mart, too) have a policy that you have to be over 21 to purchase pistol ammunition.

In other things; we went to Kittery (big outdoors shop in southern Maine) and we went around and I showed her the different types of small bore rifles. She isn't interested in getting anything more than .22lr so I didn't bother with shotguns and rifles for the most part. She liked the Savage bolt action and the Remington Model five (both which are very nice rifles) but she really liked the Henry lever action. We didn't see it at first because it was hidden in a corner but man am I blown away by that rifle. Its just a bit over my budget but the quality is incredible. The walnut is absolutely gorgeous, the finish is very high quality and it just feels good. She liked it because it fits and she can really get her hands around it. Plus she looks great holding a lever action rifle :D

I have to say I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Floppy_D
November 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evenin' Hunter,
First, do you patrol the local craigslist entries? 'Round here, I see a .22 a week, under msrp. Have you checked out Savage semi-autos? I picked up a Savage 64 offensively cheap on craigslist. Do a quick scour of local pawn shops and consignment racks to make sure you aren't missing an obvious choice.

The Deer Hunter
November 3, 2008, 11:56 PM
I actually didn't know you could post guns on craigslist.

Dookie
November 4, 2008, 01:23 AM
I actually didn't know you could post guns on craigslist.Can't, you can sell drugs and sex, but not guns. But I have gotten some SCREAMING deals off CL.

I once got flagged because I was selling a car and said I would take a gun as partial or full trade.

So have you decided yet?

The Deer Hunter
November 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
Yeah. She picked out a Henry lever action in .22lr.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle for my girlfriend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!