Am I A Fool For Sticking With An SKS Only?? AR-15??

PDA

Fake Name
October 14, 2008, 08:07 PM
Do I really need to get an AR-15? I have an SKS and that runs good.

In light of potential Obama bans and SHTF possibilities is the SKS good enough or does is the AR-15 a better choice?

I look forward to your replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I A Fool For Sticking With An SKS Only?? AR-15??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Fresh
October 14, 2008, 08:42 PM
I really want an EBR, preferably a Robinson XCR, but I have no money, so my SKS will have to see me through the election. I have confidence in the rifle and I don't feel undergunned. I'd rather have something with detachable 30-round mags in .223 but I'd take the SKS to a fight with no reservations.

RP88
October 14, 2008, 09:05 PM
SKS works fine. Rugged, reliable, accurate enough, etc. It's a good do-all gun, especially for the price. But, AKs would be your better choice simply for the larger capacity and such.

An AR will be a great omg-we're-doomed gun to have, if that is what you want it for. But...

The real reasons to buy an AR are:

-people are driving prices up with the 'omg obama the sky is falling ahhhh!!!" demand, so get one now while it's affordable
-inflation and gas prices are driving up prices on everything, including ammo
-the market is HUUUGE! for ARs at this time, so you can do whatever you want with the platform

Obama will not and cannot pass a ban for a couple years at least. He may not be able to at all. Who knows. Stop worrying about that, and get out there and simply keep it from happening, and enjoy the hobby/sport/gun.

kfranz
October 14, 2008, 09:05 PM
The SKS is good enough. Are you?

HGUNHNTR
October 14, 2008, 09:06 PM
Buy an AR, the more there are the more common usage can be claimed

And they are fun!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 14, 2008, 09:07 PM
Do I really need to get an AR-15?

No. Nobody does, because the chance of the S actually hitting the F is slim to none, and you're equipped with a fine rifle in the SKS. Having said that, the proper question is do you WANT one, and can you afford it? If there are bans, they will (a) include a grandfather clause, 99% chance, and (b) be able to be seen coming, legislatively, so there's no hurry, though the price would be higher then.

schildgen
October 14, 2008, 09:40 PM
Another option is get an AK and start buying cases of x39. Ammo isn't cheap now, but it will never be this cheap again, people can ban the importation of Russian military ammo just like the Chinese was banned.

Fake Name
October 14, 2008, 09:45 PM
No AK's allowed in my state

H2O MAN
October 14, 2008, 09:55 PM
Fake Name Do I really need to get an AR-15? I have an SKS and that runs good.

In light of potential Obama bans and SHTF possibilities is the SKS good enough or does is the AR-15 a better choice?

For years and years I was a one rifle, one shot gun and one pistol kind of guy... Times have changed.

I still have just one shotgun (HK/Benelli M1S90), but I now have 6 or 7 maybe 8 M14s, two AKs and two G21s :evil:

If you are happy & good with your SKS adding something else to your long gun collection is not a bad idea, just make sure you can feed it!

The 7.62x39 AK/MAK-90 is an excellent choice and ammo is currently relatively inexpensive. COPE's has a great deal on Golden Tiger by the case...

Of all the long arms I have, these days I'm only shooting my T56SHTF and my G21s. Buy ammo and stack it deep!

http://www.athenswater.com/images/T56SHTF-PKG.jpg

Fake Name No AK's allowed in my state

Shop for a Norinco or Poly Tech MAK-90, they are an excellent rifle in a non-free state.

Notice: I don't own any AR type rifles...

Dutchman01
October 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
SKS works fine. Rugged, reliable, accurate enough, etc. It's a good do-all gun, especially for the price. But, AKs would be your better choice simply for the larger capacity and such.

An AR will be a great omg-we're-doomed gun to have, if that is what you want it for. But...

The real reasons to buy an AR are:

-people are driving prices up with the 'omg obama the sky is falling ahhhh!!!" demand, so get one now while it's affordable
-inflation and gas prices are driving up prices on everything, including ammo
-the market is HUUUGE! for ARs at this time, so you can do whatever you want with the platform

Obama will not and cannot pass a ban for a couple years at least. He may not be able to at all. Who knows. Stop worrying about that, and get out there and simply keep it from happening, and enjoy the hobby/sport/gun.

I don't mean to be disrespectfull but I find this a dubious statement. I suppose time will tell but gun control is very important to the majority of the democratic party members.

ohioarmedneutrality
October 14, 2008, 10:15 PM
You can't go wrong with the SKS. Use the money you would use for an AR and buy SKS spare parts and lots and lots of ammo.

Jeff F
October 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
Heres my thought on a SHTF rifle. I want a rifle that if I had to leave it behind or chuck it for some reason I would not think twice. An sks fits that bill nicely. How many of you would leave behind your AR or toss it off a bridge.

ROMAK IV
October 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't want to get this inro an OT political discussion, but let's just say, look on Obama's own website under urban problems. There are a number of things a president can do to restrict guns, so judge for youself, the risk and time period involved. At the very least, you have 4 months, so enough OT.

An SKS is fine, and if there is only 4 months, accumulating ammunition is a far better idea than stocking a new caliber rifle and getting sufficient ammunition for it is unlikely, unless you have sufficient cash to do so. Wolf 223, is the cheapest, and it's not that cheap. An AR is going to run at least $700 or so.

f4t9r
October 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
Everyone needs at least one AR

benEzra
October 14, 2008, 11:14 PM
What state allows AR-15's but not civilian AK's?

Z71
October 14, 2008, 11:18 PM
Firearms are different things to different people.

One man will go quail hunting with a $10,000 dollar Perazzi shotgun, come home with a few birds and be perfectly happy. The next fellow may achieve the same ends with a Western Field gun that cost $80! He will be just as happy and the birds will be dead.

Much the same applies to semi-auto battle rifles. US citizens are limited to semiautomatics which conform to ATF rules.

My opinion, but I don't see how a $180 SKS with a 30 shot aftermarket mag would be much less effective than the cutest little AR tatical carbine money could buy!

I ain't an SKS fan, however I do respect the things. I just bought an AR 20" rifle myself. With 500rounds of ammo, the rifle/ammo+tax combo cost me damn near $900!

I likely could have bought one or two SKS rifles and a much larger quanity of ammunition for the same money.

Really, I don't expect to be in a SHTF situation. However it is a damn good reason to buy a rifle to plink with! And hey! If SHTF does come my way, hopefully I'll have a battle rifle with me(I have several now, including 2 SKS's) and not a .22 single-shot rifle or .25 auto!

OOOXOOO
October 14, 2008, 11:25 PM
You can never go wrong with a SKS. I would rather have a rifle I know well and a pile of ammo than a weapon you purchase only because it might be banned. There are enough AR's around, you will still have a chance to own one someday.

Ben Shepherd
October 15, 2008, 12:06 AM
Unless you're sitting on a spare 1500, your SKS will be fine.

I'd buy ammo and stripper clips. Then practice using them.

XD-40 Shooter
October 15, 2008, 12:20 AM
I don't own an AR or AK, but I do have an SKS that I'm a very good shot with, along with 3000 rounds of Wolf ammo.:D If the "S" hits the "F", I'll be just fine with my SKS. I'm familiar with it, its reliable, and I have confidence in it.:)

theotherwaldo
October 15, 2008, 01:06 AM
I'm aiming for one of each! I've already picked up:
-WASR-10
-Romanian SKS
-M/N 91-30
-Romanian, Polish, and Chinese Tokarevs

-And I just picked up an AR receiver.

One at a time.

Okami
October 15, 2008, 04:22 AM
Well said XD-40 Shooter!

"I don't own an AR or AK, but I do have an SKS that I'm a very good shot with, along with 3000 rounds of Wolf ammo. If the "S" hits the "F", I'll be just fine with my SKS. I'm familiar with it, its reliable, and I have confidence in it."

Rifleman 173
October 15, 2008, 04:27 AM
Since you already have 7.62 X 39 ammo for your SKS, I would keep the SKS and add an M-4 type carbine that shoots 7.62 X 39 ammo. You can get a lower half for an M-4 and add an upper half that shoots the X 39 ammo. Of course you'll need magazines that will work in the M-4 lower AND work with X 39 ammo so you might want to check out C-Products magazines. Both Bushmaster Firearms and Model "1" Sales will sell upper halves that will fit M-4 lowers so you can build your own gun for about $750.00 or so instead of paying the $1,900.00 for a Robinson XCR.

RockyMtnTactical
October 15, 2008, 06:21 AM
AR15 is hands down better. But an SKS will do 90% of what a good AR15/AK will do...

xd9fan
October 15, 2008, 09:55 AM
Heres my thought on a SHTF rifle. I want a rifle that if I had to leave it behind or chuck it for some reason I would not think twice. An sks fits that bill nicely. How many of you would leave behind your AR or toss it off a bridge.

wow show us your 1776 backbone:cuss:

come on....

JWarren
October 15, 2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not a fan of the SKS as my primary rifle. Does it work? Sure. But doesn't have all I want.... namely detachable magazines, etc.

The AK doesn't do all I want either, so I have an AR.

It fits what I want more, simple as that.

But I'd not call anyone a fool for their own choices if they work for them.

-- John

bmitchell
October 15, 2008, 10:25 AM
I keep an SKS handy even with an AR about.
The SKS I bought because I wanted one; the AR just sort of happened.

schildgen
October 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
If you can have an AK get a couple more SKS's.

esq_stu
October 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have stuck with both AR and SKS. I want both calibers and decided on NOT an AK. 3 SKS' and lots of spare parts; 1 AR and lots of spares, including recievers to make another.

benEzra
October 15, 2008, 12:05 PM
No, not a fool at all.

As long as you would be content never to own an AR or AK in the event they were banned, you have absolutely no reason to get one, IMO.

mljdeckard
October 15, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have an SKS, I'm building an AR. The main difference to me is I get spoiled to the trigger and usability of the AR. But at the same time, I bought the SKS to have a rifle I'm not afraid to take out and beat up, and not be anal about keeping it clean.

If I wanted to do some improvements on the SKS, like a better trigger, a stock, and techsights, (all of which I might still do eventually,) and keep it compliant, I'll wind up spending three times more on the rifle than I paid for it in the first place.

Ignatius
October 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
The SKS is a fine rifle, it is rugged and reliable, uses a great cartridge that is pretty widely used and is as accurate as it needs to be. I have two of them and I find that I am often grabbing one whenever I go shooting because I just plain like them and they are fun to shoot. If you practice with the stripper clips you will find that you can reload pretty quickly. If I were in a situation where I needed to defend my wife and kids, and all I had was an SKS, I would feel reasonably well armed to defend, but probably not go on the offensive, esp if someone had full auto capability. If Obama gets elected, its likely that SKS's will go up in cost so why not buy an extra one and some ammo rather then an AR which uses more expensive 5.56?

More ammo and practice would probably be a better use of your time and money then adding a new black rifle. Now if you just want one and need to justify the purchase.....get an AR.

What are you concerned about using your SKS for?

goatman
October 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
I get this question all the time, especially from people who would rather spend their money on "beans instead of bullets."
As for the efficiency of the SKS: You'd have to ask the numerous number of individuals no longer sucking air because of a well-placed 7.62X39mm round.
"American Made" and "I toted an M-4 in Iraq" aside, the SKS and its round, IMHO, are actually SUPERIOR to the .223, which Col. Cooper referred to often as a "Poodle Shooter."
Besides, the weapon and ammo are cheaper.
I am, for the record, a Vietnam and Cold War Veteran of an Infantry Division.

BigBuckMaster
October 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
Springfield SOCOM I or II or an AK my friend. i got the SOCOM I and 3 AK's, as well as M14 and a AR-18. all of these guns are in 7.62mm. all are good guns. all of them, in my opinion, are beatter than a SKS.

Do I really need to get an AR-15? I have an SKS and that runs good.

no, you dont need a AR, but i would like somthing i can buy a drum mag for (ie my AK's and my SOCOM).

if obama does start a gun banning frenzy, we can restart the CSA again.

those who make a peaceful revolution impossible make a violent revolution inevitable.
JFK

Prince Yamato
October 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
What state allows AR-15's but not civilian AK's?

Connecticut, which bans the AK-47 in 7.62x39 by name. The OP could still get a Saiga or WASR in 5.45 or .223 though.

Though I have never shot an SKS, it is a rifle built for WAR. So, I think you'd be fine by it.

Wes Janson
October 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
Though I have never shot an SKS, it is a rifle built for WAR. So, I think you'd be fine by it.

So's the M1 Garand. And the M1903 Springfield. And the Springfield Model 1861. The pertinent question is, which war do you intend to go fight?

yenchisks
October 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
in 1938 no fully auto,1968 no felonys, 1996 no misdermeanor,enyone see a pattern here?

jws527
October 15, 2008, 04:33 PM
Good enough for what? The only scenario I can imagine where the SKS might fall somewhat short is in a protracted tactical engagement with a well trained and equipped military force...and if you find yourself there, you're probably as good as dead no matter what rifle you're carrying (unless you happen to have your own well trained and equipped military force alongside you). The SKS is rugged, reliable, and accurate enough to be effective in the right hands. It's also semi-auto so it can provide an acceptable rate of fire. The whole point of a gun in any "survival" situation is simply to help keep you alive; if you're routinely engaging targets more than 100 meters out, you probably have a death wish. Moreover, x39 is considerably cheaper right now so you can shoot more often on a given budget and build proficiency (never mind the extra ammo you could buy with the money saved on the purchase of the gun itself).

Look at it this way: depending upon where you live, having any gun (and more importantly, the skill to use it effectively) will make you far better off than most people.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
October 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
i love my sks EBR with the tapco stock and mags its a hell of alot more fun then a AR and at alot cheaper for ammo and to keep running.

but hey if you feel the need to dump tons of money into a rifle for no reason go right ahead.

RP88
October 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
in 1938 no fully auto,1968 no felonys, 1996 no misdermeanor,enyone see a pattern here?

the pattern reversed in our favor in the past 12 years. Can we keep the ball rolling? Well, that's up to you, me, etc. I don't want another AWB, and I know that one is at least gonna hit the committees at least ten times before the next term is out. Let's do ourselves a favor and not sit around and do nothing about it this time...

Tarvis
October 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
wow show us your 1776 backbone
Amen to that, brother.

Wolfgang2000
October 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
There is nothing wrong with a SKS. IMO it's ALMOST the perfect "survival" rifle. It shoots a good hard hitting round. You don't need to spend money on magazines. Stripper clips are nice, and relatively fast, BUT not needed for the operation of the rifle.

AR's and AK's are fun. But if money is a concern, (I don't know anyone it's not a concern), get another SKS or 2, the 16"carbines are really handy, and more ammo and stripper clips.

wcwhitey
October 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
If the money is available either buy a ton of more ammo and either a AK or another SKS. Stick with one caliber to stock, makes things much easier. An SKS would be the rifle I would recommend for those with limited funds because it is hard hitting, accurate enough and very reliable. Stripper clips can be easily mastered and speed up the reloading exponentially. I love my AR's but that is my chosen go to gun, I wouldn't complicate the situation with another caliber.

XD-40 Shooter
October 15, 2008, 09:10 PM
All told, between 3000 rounds of Wolf ammo and my SKS rifle, I've got about $750 total invested. A low end AR runs about this price range, minus the ammo. You're talkin' another grand for factory .223 (3000 rds), so about $1750 total. I'll keep my SKS and keep stockpiling ammo.:D:p

Merkelman
October 15, 2008, 09:28 PM
To answer the original question. Yes!!!

Funderb
October 15, 2008, 09:42 PM
take the money you would be spending on an AR, and spend it on ammo.
Why buy a rifle and be out of money for ammo when you can just buy ammo an keep the number of calibers to feed low by enjoying what you already have.
SKS's are fantastic shooters.

Jeff F
October 15, 2008, 11:22 PM
Xd9fan, all I'm saying is there could be a time when standing there with a smoking rifle and a body count laying all over may not be in your best interest.

Geno
October 15, 2008, 11:35 PM
The simple answer is whatever you handle the best, that is your best rifle. My personal choice is the M1 Garand. I shoot is exceptionally well. I'll take 8 well-placed rounds of .30-06 Sprg, over 30 hurried rounds of 5.56mm any day. That's me. For you, choose the one that you handle exceptionally well. If that is an SKS, good for you. :cool:

streakr
October 15, 2008, 11:52 PM
Have each and each has it's good qualities. ATC, the SKS is a good option and will do whatever you need it to do.

Get a lightweight monte carlo stock and it will easier to carry.

s

SoCalShooter
October 15, 2008, 11:55 PM
I have four ar15's and yes you need one at least one give them Russians a look at what they will never have...superb accuracy and a sexy black coat. Oh and I have two sks's too.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
October 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
The SKS is good enough. Are you?

Right on, right on.

U.S.SFC_RET
October 16, 2008, 12:11 AM
That SKS is very practical. You can never go wrong. The grass might be greener on the other side of the fence. Stay with the SKS.

twofourthree73
October 16, 2008, 12:43 AM
As always with guns. Two is better than one.

Nhsport
October 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
My SKS is a solid useable unit but a AR is on a completly different level. Sights,trigger,magazines and the basic ability to be able to reconfigure things to whatever you want.
Now you can spend a small fortune on a new gun with all the wiz ban features but the reality is there are plenty of solid used brand name ARs in the 6-700 dollar range

gidaeon
October 16, 2008, 04:08 PM
I bought an sks and an ar this year - both far outshoot me.. I enjoy shooting them equally. I will say not all SKS are equal IMHO, my Yugo 59/66 is waaaay less ergonomically and with the extra stuff, weight, length up front really front heavy compared to other popular models in circulation. I didn't strip anything off as I still don't get 922r.

SKS is rugged and reliable and just works. Too bad prices are (still) jumping, if I found a real bargain someday I would like a chrome lined shorter sks. Personally, I like both, and we should be thankful we can have either (for now). Whatever you have, use it.

Realbigo
October 16, 2008, 04:18 PM
It's a good investment if for no other reason, you can always sell it later if you get in desperate straits financially.

markk
October 16, 2008, 05:56 PM
I love my SKS, even moreso because it's a sporter (16" barrel/AK mags). But if I had the money for a AR-15 platform, I'd buy it tomorrow...

Brother in Arms
October 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
While I can't comment on the idiosyncrasies of the AR-15. I feel that I can provide a good deal of information on the SKS. I have repaired over 500 SKS rifles this year so I can give you an idea of what can go wrong with them perhaps giving you a good idea of what spare parts you might need.

All of the rifles I have repaired have seen hard usage in foreign service much of which is due to neglect and or abuse despite that it has given me clues as to what parts are the most likely to fail.

While the the SKS is a fairly simple rifle and well made it has a few flaws. The first and foremost is the trigger group. The trigger group alone has 20 parts. And I have seen most of them damaged or broken in some way. Most common types of damage are broken off safety levers, weak safety springs, broken hammer springs, broken disconector bars, broken hammers, worn out trigger guard latch retaining holes in the trigger group or bent trigger guard latches.

So rule #1 for the SKS is buy a complete spare trigger group. The small parts in the SKS trigger group could easily be lost in the field so its unwise to attempt to disassemble it. Its much better to replace it completely. Also test it in your rifle to make sure it works properly before finding out when you really need it, that it doesn't work.

Another common broken part in the SKS is the wooden stock. I have seen all descriptions of cracks, breaks, splits, chips , fractures and holes in these relatively thin stocks and I would recommend replacing the original wood stock with a synthetic one. I cannot suggest a good commercial synthetic stock as I have no personal experience with them, but I know they will not break like the wood ones do.

As far as the bolt group is concerned I have occasionally seen broken firing pins . More often a firing pin will be found rusted or stuck in the forward position by crud, which is bad. Always check to see that the SKS's firing pin is free and moves easily in and out, check this by pressing on it with a small punch.

I have seen weak and broken recoil springs but not too commonly. Occasionally the recoil retainer will be broken or missing causing the recoil; spring assembly to fly apart when the receiver cover is removed.

The take down latch lever is far too often to be found broken off and can only be manipulated using pliers or vice grips. Be gentle with the take down latch.

Box magazine assembly's are found to be damaged from time to time but more often the follower or it lever are bent. Often the bolt hold open tab is broken off the follower and wont actuate it. I have found the very small spring in the bolt hold open to be weak, broken, missing or so completely full of cosmolene and grime that it won't work. Try using solvent on it first to see if its just gummed up, this often frees it but many times the spring is broken or missing and will have to be replaced. The bolt hold open spring is very small about the size of that found in a ball point pen and is easily lost.

As far as the gas system goes it is usually pretty good most of its parts are very stout. I have seen budged, cracked and rusted out gas piston tubes however and weak or missing tappet spring and tappets. Many times the piston will be frozen by rust or cosmolene and need to be cleaned so that it can move freely. Occasionally a piston will be so worn or pitted as well as its tube that it won't have sufficient pressure to work. The easiest way to check this is to place your thumb over the piston tube and let the piston fall downward if you feel suction on your thumb you probably have suffient gas pressure to cycle the action. On the Yugoslavian SKS there is an aditional gas cut off valve which can be turned on and off for grenade launching many times these are rusted or gas cut and must be replaced. Also the button and spring which actuates them can be broken off or missing.

Rifles without chrome lined bores are often very dark and or pitted. Front site hoods are often crushed or broken, rear sight springs are found broken from time to time but rarely.

Given what I have seen I would suggest an SKS with a chrome lined bore either Chinese, Russian, Romanian (being the easiest to find). A good synthetic stock. A Spare trigger group, firing pin, extractor, extractor spring, front site post, Recoil spring assembly.

Also a cleaning rod, complete SKS butt trap cleaning kit with the addition of an AK front site adjustment tool. And a good web or leather sling.

Brother in Arms

Frankl03
October 16, 2008, 06:13 PM
I have a Yugo SKS and love it. Solid shooter not a single miss-fire. I've put it in the center at 100 yards. Very dependable! I have also improved it with a Tech Sight and replaced the the grenade launcher with a threaded muzzlebreak.I also refinished the stock. I wouldn't hesitate to deer hunt with it. I like loading with stripper clips as its very fast.

I also own an AR and I feel much better about home protection with it around. I keep it handy. If I had to face someone coming into my home I would feel very safe with my AR. I have started to reload ammo for this rifle.

Why not have a couple of rifles for different uses, hunting, home defense, and target/plinking etc.

Reid73
October 16, 2008, 06:40 PM
No. Nobody does, because the chance of the S actually hitting the F is slim to none, and you're equipped with a fine rifle in the SKS. Having said that, the proper question is do you WANT one, and can you afford it?Well said.

As long as you would be content never to own an AR or AK in the event they were banned, you have absolutely no reason to get one, IMO.Exactly right.

If there are bans, they will include a grandfather clause, 99% chance.I would not assume that. As you may know, in 1991 Canada banned all handgun magazines with >10 round capacity, and virtually all centerfire rifle magazines with >5 round capacity. No grandfathering.

Admittedly, Canada lacks the protection of the Second Amendment. But there is no guarantee of anything in life, and I for one would never feel confident predicting the content of possible future legislation with 99% certainty.

JImbothefiveth
October 16, 2008, 06:47 PM
Obama will not and cannot pass a ban for a couple years at least.
That's going to depend on the senate and house elections.

Admittedly, Canada lacks the protection of the Second Amendment.
I think it's actually not about the second amendment, but because the government can't take property without just compensation(I think it's in the 4th amendment), and they don't want to pay that.

Reid73
October 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
the government can't take property without just compensation (I think it's in the 4th amendment), and they don't want to pay that.I am no expert but I doubt that would be much of a deterrent to a determined legislator. The amount of compensation would be relatively small compared to the many other crazy things the taxpayers are on the hook for.

Alternatively, the feds could argue that they're not seizing property, they're just prohibiting private ownership of dangerous weapons. Owners would retain the right to modify (or permanently deactivate) offending firearms to comply with the ban, within a certain grace period. Even if a complete ban was ultimately overturned by the Supreme Court, that would be cold comfort for owners who disposed of or destroyed their firearms in the interim, out of a fear of prosecution. :uhoh:

When there is sufficient government will, there is virtually always a way.

Wolfgang2000
October 16, 2008, 07:39 PM
IF Obama gets elected and the Dem's have a majority in the house and the senate, they will do their best to pass a ban. There is no guarantee there will be a sun set OR a grandfather clause.

Did anyone else catch Obama bragging about his VP choice "voted for the historic Crime bill of 1994"? That is liberal speak for the assault weapon ban of 1994.

There is not guarantee that you will be able to keep what you have NOW!!

You can talk about burying them, but what good are they to you then??

innerpiece
October 16, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ive got 2 SKS's, have had them for years, they are great plain and simple!

but today I boutght my first AR, a DPMS Sportical. Im real excited about it. tomorrow Ill see how it feels and acts.

but if SHTF tomorrow, Id pick up an SKS, because I know it better..

If you have an SKS keep it! if you can afford an AR, buy one!
got mine with 3 30rd mags, cleaning kit, RedDot, and 80rds of .223 ammo for $795....

ip.

RP88
October 16, 2008, 08:53 PM
I'll say it again: If you want one, get one now because of you wanting one, and in order to get it before prices go up. If you are buying one like the sky-is-falling group of buyers out there (and maybe in this thread), then you're wasting your money IMO

JWarren
October 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
Quote:
You can talk about burying them, but what good are they to you then??

Carry what gun(s) you can, and bury the rest. Yes, you obviously need something to shoot back with when the New Age *safety* Gestapo parades down the street.

As has been said numerous times here... if it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up.

-- John

Art Eatman
October 17, 2008, 01:25 AM
And as has been said before, this is not a political forum. :D So quit it.

innerpiece
October 17, 2008, 03:18 AM
no kidding. folks gettin all uppidy n silly... all puffed up, let that breath out..

grrrrr..lol

ip

Harold Krisna
December 25, 2009, 02:15 AM
The AR is a fine tool,but the SKS is also,maybe just a tad less. I have just gotten back into shooting after taking about a decade off from it(my music consumed all my time......).My son gave me a Norinco SKS to get me back into shooting,and i was happily surprised to see how many more add ons are now available.I just put a ATI stike force stock on mine and 30 round mag,a for grip(cant remember the brand). and still have 2 rails for other gizmos. Yeah the price is approaching an AR now,but still a lot cheaper,to buy ammo with! this one shoots great and if anything lke the ones i've had in the past,and i qoute my dad"it'll feed and function anything you stick in it's throat".
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/harold_2007pics/guns/100_4920.jpg

Glockman17366
December 25, 2009, 10:53 AM
I've got two AK's, one AR and two SKS rifles. All are great (and I want another AR), but the rifle that gets tossed into the truck is one of the SKS carbines (a close to 20 year old Paratrooper).
One, it's a cheap and fairly easily replaced rifle. Secondly, it doesn't look as aggressive as the AK or AR (for those low profile times).
Since you cannot carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle (in PA), I'll just have a couple of stripper clips ready to go in a pouch in the truck's console.
Another nice thing about the SKS...it's lower magazine capacity reduces the tendency (for me, anyway) to rapid fire dump the mag. That's wasteful of ammunition, IMHO.

You can "tacticoolize" an SKS, if you wish. I had a Tapco T-6 stock, but never installed it. Frankly, it felt cheap...but a lot of guys do like 'em. Reckon I just prefer the stock wooden furniture even though mine is a bit beat up now.

happygeek
December 25, 2009, 11:03 AM
Holy thread resurrection Batman! Well, now that the Obama scare seems to be dying down, get that AR! I picked up my Sig 556 about 2 months ago for $700 less than the same store was selling it for back in April 09. Heck, the box was still market $200 higher than what I paid for it.

Rshooter
December 25, 2009, 04:33 PM
If you want an AR there is a glut on the market and now is the time. AR's and magazines may never be cheaper because every maker churned them out as fast as they could during the shortage.

If you do not want an AR do not bother, the SKS is great.

tju1973
December 25, 2009, 07:09 PM
Beware of the man with only one gun, as he probably knows how to use it.

I had only a Marlin 60 and an M44 for a couple of years...never felt outgunned....

SKS is a fine rifle!

rust collector
December 26, 2009, 12:35 PM
Zombie thread, alright, but if it hadn't been resurrected I would not have learned from brother in arms' experience. Thanks, Bro!

It's that kind of information that really makes this place great. Opinions are a dime a dozen, but knowledge acquired the hard way is worth its weight in gold.

It's also kind of fun to contrast the late 08 mentality with how things have developed.

SKS? One of the last combat arms made with the old mill and drill methods of the last couple centuries. Solid and sweet to shoot, but heavier and more expensive to make than the alloy and polymer specials currently in vogue.

I don't think I'll live long enough to wear any of them out, but it's fun to try.

7.62x54mmR
December 26, 2009, 04:34 PM
No. SKS ammo is way cheaper than that of the .223
I down a Norinco SKS-D and a Colt AR-15
don't get me wrong i love them both. But according to my wallet, ehh my SKS is preferred. ;)

offthepaper
December 26, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have 2 AR's and a Yugo SKS. While I enjoy the AR's, I can honestly say that I equally enjoy shooting the SKS, only on a different way. When shooting both at a target, the expectations are a bit lower for the Yugo. This doesn't diminish the challenge or enjoyment of trying to get the best groups possible. The SKS is a rifle with a fine performce record behind it. If the mission were to be in a situation where there would be little or no time for weapon maint. the SKS will have a distinct advantage over the AR's. But if firepower, and acurracy are the primary factors, and time will be given for adequate cleaning/lube in the field , than the AR is the hands down winner.
It just depends on what sceanario you envision being in. The SKS will not leave you unprotected.

nathan
December 26, 2009, 05:10 PM
The gun world is full of misconceptions and prejudices on every kind of gun products. THe SKS is an idiot proof design overshadowed only by the coming of the AK in its time. But it proved itself in combat in the jungles of Nam.

I wouldnt feel undergunned as I know how it works and shoot good with it. First is know your weapon and master it. It will serve you well in the field of no return, either live or die. LOL

Erik M
December 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
I love the SKS. Nothing beats Russian ingenuity and its definetly carved its niche into the gun world. I would not buy an AR just because of the hype that they will be banned. I would say dont buy a gun you dont have a use for, but that would make me an enormous hypocrite.

Almond27
December 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
If I had to choose between the SKS and AR15 right now to carry that weapon into the wilderness not battle I'd take an SKS for a combat situation give me the AR15 please. Not saying the SKS can't hold its own in a combat situation I just feel for the sake of mag changes you have to go AR.

JTH
December 26, 2009, 07:16 PM
The U.S. is still the biggest and baddest dog on the block as far as shear military firepower. The odds of a true nuclear nightmare is unlikley here in the U.S. The U.S. is not nearly as self reliant as we once were say after WWII. We have out sourced so many jobs that we a high tech country now. The old factories are still there but the U.S. infrastructure along with the obsolete factories are almost at the point of obsolesence or structurally past the point of being refurbed. The U.S. is quite vunerable economically to what happens around us or even to a bad natural or terroist disaster here in the continental 48 states. Our worst nightmare would be if the oil supply was to be cut of or a dirty nuclear weapon was set off, for example the Houston Ship channel. Refineries out of commision and the ship channel could not be used for upwards of 30 years depending on radiation contamination. That in itself would just about bring the U.S. to it's knees economically for probably 10 years or longer. This would create massive job layoffs and gas would probably be $10 a gallon, since a majority of our refineries are right there. Also destabilizing the whole world's economy. Believe me our enemies want to do as much damage to us as possible.

This is the situation, that would create close to SHTF scenario, especially if you lived in a metro area. If you depend on the Federal Govt. to come the rescue...well we've already seen how fast they react to disasters. My point is there are many situations that could develop into a SHTF scenarios here in the U.S.. Almost every new President is tested in some manner by our enemies and Obama hasn't been tested yet. Just prepare to defend yourself the best your budget will allow. You can have the high dollar weapons but the guy with several SKS's and AK's and one of each type of specific use weapons, for hunting and protection, i.e. a 12 ga. shot gun, 9mm/45 cal pistol and a 22 rifle and a ****load of ammo is better than a high dollar high tech weapon w/ all the bells and whistles and not have a big stash of ammo!:eek: That's all I have to say about that!

Warlokke
December 28, 2009, 02:59 PM
Beware the man with only one rifle......

+1 and amen!

Palehorseman
December 28, 2009, 04:01 PM
Back in the late 1980s bought a couple SKS and three 1200 rd wooden crates of 7.62x39, all were got at the time for less than $100.00 each.

After playing around and testing the piece, concluded the SKS is a very capable and dependable weapon. I found that a light oiling of inside the 10 rnd. stripper clips makes a huge difference for ease of recharging rifle.

Only changes made was to chuck the attached pig stickers and recently installed Williams aperture rear and their Firesight front sights. I could not believe the improvement this made for my three score and ten eyes when it came to vastly improved sight picture and getting onto target fast.

Wife, other women and young kids really liked the SKS due to it's low recoil and ease of handling. Still have two unopened 1200 rnd. crates and they will stay that way for a just in case SHTF scenario. I would not hesitate to recommend the SKS as a low cost weapon that works each and every time, for the Russians as usual, designed it as a simple but very effective tool.

As an aside, it is my understanding the SKS is merely a scaled down version of the 14.5 mm PTRS-41 anti-tank rifle invented by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov.

TheResearcher
December 29, 2009, 04:38 PM
New Jersy

JTH
December 29, 2009, 06:42 PM
I'd rather have 3-4 SKS's than 1 AR because you can teach your family or neighbors how to use them but I'd wait to pass them out until I deemed necessary. If you just have to have to have an AR any other rifles would need to shoot .223 rnds mainly for economics of building up a stash of ammo of the same caliber. I believe you need a couple rifles, 2-12 ga shotguns, a couple pistols at least 9mm or larger caliber and a couple of 22 caliber rifles. That rounds out a fairly decent group of weapons that cover specific uses and functions. If I could only afford 1 weapon it would be a 12 ga shotgun.

fiddleharp
December 29, 2009, 06:47 PM
I'm always amused by these "SHTF" AR vs SKS/AK debates. I wish everyone involved would read "To Hell And Back" and "No Name On The Bullet".
Both of these books cover the life of the greatest small arms mankiller of modern times: Audie Murphy.
Nobody, including Murphy himself, is quite sure of his final body count, but 250 seems to be a workable figure.
His day in and day out weapon was his "lucky" M1 Carbine.
That's right. The puny, underpowered, universally despised M1 Carbine.
How can a full-metal jacketed .30 carbine round possibly kill anybody? Everybody on internet gun boards knows it can't! :rolleyes:
I've got the feeling that if you've got enough killer instinct when TSHTF, a semi-auto SKS (or any other firearm that you are willing to kill humans with) will serve you well.

nathan
December 29, 2009, 06:47 PM
If your woodstock SKS gets dropped and dinged up, no problem. But if it happens to an expensive firearm, it doesnt feel good at all.

Stainlessbutcher
December 29, 2009, 10:07 PM
I tell ya, a good SKS is a dream to shoot. I had one(Yugo) that was a tack driver at 100 yards with iron sites. I shot 3/4 inch groups regularly using mil-surp ammo. Not withstanding the added knock down power of the 7.62 bullet over the .223? I'm sure the AR has higher velocities, but I'd rather sacrifice a bit of velocity for the hard hit of the SKS.

roscoe
December 30, 2009, 10:08 PM
The SKS needs only one mod - the $50 Techsight that mounts on the receiver. This almost doubles the sight radius, and gives you a nice GI-style peep sight. That will increase your accuracy, which is always a good thing.

You become proficient with your SKS, and it will do 99% of what you would want any rifle to do.

mljdeckard
December 31, 2009, 12:44 AM
This is mine. I like the other mods just as much as the techsight.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=453341

I'm less concerned with the shift of our industry than I am about a school system that doesn't teach people how to spell "sheer", "vulnerable", or that possessives have an apostrophe, plurals do not.

Ignition Override
December 31, 2009, 01:58 AM
JTEX53:
Interesting "big picture" description of our vulnerability.
It is easy for me to imagine smaller incidents which could spike our car fuel to about $6.00/gallon.

roscoe:
Thanks for the reminder. Will order one of those peep sights for my SKS.
Glad that my LE #4 and #5s already have them.

DMK
December 31, 2009, 08:28 PM
The AR-15 is my favorite rifle, and would be what I would grab in any emergency requiring a rifle. However, the SKS is much cheaper. For years mine served me fine. Add a Tech Sights rear aperture and you have the sight picture of an AR-15 with a very long sight radius. The 10 round mag should be plenty for almost any realistic situation, but with practice, loading from strippers is very easy and quick. There are some very respectable 7.62x39 loads for SD. I can't see any reason to give up on the SKS unless you just have to have an AR or AK.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/para.jpg

OrangePwrx9
December 31, 2009, 11:39 PM
How about a Saiga? They banned from your state too? They're AKs that have been neutered and modified to remove features that put gun banners' panties in a twist.

If you can get one, you could stick with the 7.62x39 ammo and have two guns available to you if the SHTF. The Saiga advantage is that they accept removable magazines. As issued they won't take milsurp AK magazines, but they will after a couple of simple mods.

Right now a new Saiga can be had for around $320. That's not much more than a good SKS.

MistWolf
January 1, 2010, 12:08 AM
How in the heck can you participate in the never ending internet debates as to "which weapons platform is better- SKS or AR or AK" unless you own the weapons in question? Go forth and buy the AR15 and 2 boxes of ammo (so you can perform at least one magazine change) so you can shoot it and become a Webspert. It's easy and fun! Rinse and repeat with the AK!

It worked for me! :)

benEzra
January 1, 2010, 12:17 AM
I may have missed this, but what state do you live in?

MarineOne
January 1, 2010, 02:42 AM
I, too, am glad this is a zombie thread brought back to life. Brother In Arms' post to this thread is some incredibly valuable info and has given me a parts list I need to work on.

DMK's photo of his SKS is very similar to my Norinco, except I kept the wood trim and I have a "D" model so I can use AK mags. I do have to ask .... how did you mount that rear sight? I've never seen that before and it definately sparked some curiousity.

My introduction into OPFOR weapons began when I was an armory custodian (additional duty) while I was stationed with 3d FSSG in Okinawa. They brought back quite a few weapons that were used for "TRT", or Tactical Readiness Training, because very few people had seen an actual AK with the go-fast switch. As I do own both an AR and an SKS, I love them both but not equally. I know I'm good with both but for those longer range shots I'm much better with my AR than I am with my SKS. I guess Mother Green can be thanked for that.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I'm turning my AR (A2 style) into a DM style (A3 with optics) weapon and will continue to use my SKS as my camping rifle and GP "Go To" rifle.

And of course I'm a fan of having the right tool for the right job.

DMK
January 1, 2010, 05:02 PM
DMK's photo of his SKS is very similar to my Norinco, except I kept the wood trim and I have a "D" model so I can use AK mags. I do have to ask .... how did you mount that rear sight? I've never seen that before and it definately sparked some curiousity.
That is a Norinco actually. It's a 16" barreled Norinco Para with a Chinese fiberglass "Jungle Stock".

The rear sight is a Tech Sights rear aperture. I highly recommend this for any SKS that you don't mind slightly modifying from original condition. It's well made and makes a huge improvement in the sight picture, sight radius and relative accuracy of the carbine.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

I also have this Norinco "SKS Sporter" (very similar to the "D" model) with the same stock and sight. Fun little carbines with the AK mags aren't they?

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/sporter.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I A Fool For Sticking With An SKS Only?? AR-15??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!