time to buy a milsurp

PDA

spuscg
October 14, 2008, 09:24 PM
my club voted me in today. I can now use rifle ranges. They have several world war style matches. One is "use any rifle from battle of the buldge" one is normandy, one is just bolt guns, and one is any ww2 weapon whats a good deal on a rifle that with iron sights can hit a man sized target at 300 yards w/ iron sights. I want something with good availible ammo and not too expensive for the rifle. Has to be iron sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "time to buy a milsurp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paintballdude902
October 14, 2008, 09:54 PM
k31 i believe is a wwII era weapon but was never used in combat with the swiss being neutral

the k31 and the ammo is practically match grade
i think they run like 200 or so

Marion Cobretti
October 14, 2008, 09:56 PM
Depending on your budget, you can't miss with a M1 Garand from the CMP.
Good deals on 30-06 Greek ammo too.

Funderb
October 14, 2008, 10:01 PM
Mosin nagant. one with a good bore.
cheap cheap cheap.

paintballdude902
October 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
fund

seamed like he wanted a rifle for 300yard match i wouldnt shoot at a match with a russian mosin a fin maybe but id go with a k31 first

Jeff F
October 14, 2008, 10:13 PM
An Enfield, one of the best battle rifles ever.

highorder
October 14, 2008, 10:21 PM
Someone has to say it; Buy a Mauser!

OOOXOOO
October 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
I would go 91/30.

Ohen Cepel
October 14, 2008, 10:35 PM
If they will let the Yugo Mauser (M48) in that would be my choice.

Cheap, plenty of ammo around and a great rifle overall.

jimmyraythomason
October 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Mauser 98k or Springfield '03-A3

The Deer Hunter
October 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
It appears as though almost every gun that is readily obtainable has been mentioned.

COMPNOR
October 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
Nope, missing one. Finnish M39

alemonkey
October 14, 2008, 10:53 PM
Finn M39 Mosin. Ammo is dirt cheap and they're accurate.

Jason_G
October 14, 2008, 11:02 PM
Any of the above would be good recommendations, and some of them may be more accurate than the M1, but if it were me, I'd get a Garand without hesitation. That's just me though.

Jason

Mr White
October 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
If you want something that was in the BoB and Normandy, and Iwo Jima, and Luzon, and almost any other battle of WWII except for Stalingrad, a Garand is the way to go.

You know you want one and they ain't getting any cheaper or more plentiful. It'll hit a man-sized target at 600 yds if you do your part and it has the best iron sights of any milsurp rifle out there. The CMP is the way to go. Its a no-brainer.

For every day you don't buy a Garand, Jesus kills a puppy.

azredhawk44
October 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
seamed like he wanted a rifle for 300yard match i wouldnt shoot at a match with a russian mosin a fin maybe but id go with a k31 first

My 91/30 will hit a pumpkin 10 shots out of 10 at 300 yards, prone, at a pace of a shot every 10 seconds or so.

It was $69 at Big 5 Sporting Goods.

This is with Hungarian heavy ball surplus.

spuscg
October 15, 2008, 07:28 AM
not getting a mosin, not eligible in some matches.....sweedish mausers are allowed though

lencac
October 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
Without a doubt a 1903A3 would be in order.

Funderb
October 15, 2008, 10:54 AM
I guess mausers of any type would be the way to go, the way you say.
They were used in every battle. Heck, mausers are freakin' accurate anyway, and ammo isn't so bad for them still.

My yugo is a 2x4 shooter at 200 yds yet.

spuscg
October 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
im trying to decide between k98 enfield and 1903. 1903 costs the most but theres plenty of .30-06 around, and i want a .30-06 eventually. k98 and enfield are inexpensive but i never see .303 ammo and rarely 8x57

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
October 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
MOSIN NAGANT 91/30 one with a good bore, cork it and you will be good.

jkingrph
October 15, 2008, 05:51 PM
Two of the best are the Swiss straight pulls, 1911 and K-31, never used in combat. The other I am thinking of is the Swede 96 and shorter version we call the 38, was only used by the Finn's against Russia. Probably the most precisly built and accurate guns of the era.

Do not know if these would qualify for your any gun of WWII. I would opt for a good Garand, Springfield 03 or one of the Enfields.

Threeband
October 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
Congratulations on your new range membership!

The correct answer is of course, buy them all.

The correct question is, in what order to buy them all?

I say, get the 03-A3 first, if you find a good deal. It'll get you going, and it's straightforward and basic.

Then get your first Garand from the CMP.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Notice the CMP is also a good ammo source for your 03-A3 and your M1. Availability of reasonably priced ammo is a big part of my thinking here.

Also, both of these rifles have good sights: better than a Mauser's.

Then start adding to your collection. Lee Enfield's are great, but cheap ammo is a thing of the past. You'll want to load your own, and case life tends to be short.

You can get a couple 91-30's for the price of a Lee Enfield, and ammo is CHEAP! Definately stock up on Mosins. Then start pushing your club to run a "Stalingrad" match. ("The man with the rifle shoots. The second man follows him. When the man with the rifle is killed, the second man picks up the rifle and shoots." --Enemy at the Gates).

Springfield_1911SS
October 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
Someone has to say it; Buy a Mauser!

I got my German WWII K-98 for $250, bought original WWII sight hood and locking screws(items that most modern surplus lack) for $25. I bough 200rnds on German WWII 8mm ammo for $60 with ammo can(but its, corrosive). I also reload for 8mm muaser. Well since German almost all if not all European Battles and it is a bolt gun, you would be able to use at your club

bobotech
October 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
Why aren't Mosin's allowed in some contests?

crushbup
October 15, 2008, 08:03 PM
They're too accurate. It just isn't fair to the other shooters who spent hundreds of dollars on Garands.

Funderb
October 15, 2008, 08:08 PM
hahahahaha, oh, it is so true. those poor guys, out so much money for a rifle that isn't even minute of potato.

hey, at least they are semi.

Threeband
October 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
Mosins weren't used on the Western Front. That's why I said he'll have to push for a "Stalingrad" match. Or "Leningrad" if he gets a Finn.

But getting back to my modest recommendation, ("buy them all."):

A basic technique of investing is called "Dollar Cost Averaging."

In this case, it means, "Just buy One Rifle Every Month."

I think most of us here will agree this is a sensible approach.

Try this basic plan:

October: 03-A3 Springfield

November: M1 Garand (Service Grade from the CMP)

December: 91/30 Mosin

January: K98 Mauser

February: Lee Enfield No.4 Mk 1

March: M1 Carbine from the CMP

April: Carcano (April Fool!)

May: Arisaka

June: M39 Finnish Mosin

July: Lee Enfield No.1 Mk III*

August: Swiss K31 ("They also serve who only stand and wait.")

September: French MAS

That'll get you started, and sort of hit the high spots. You just keep going from there, and remember:

Dollar Cost Averaging is recommended by all the investment councilors.

---------------------------------

spuscg
October 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
um im a coast guard reservist working part time at dicks sporting goods and paying for college, i cant go buy a ton of guns without a bank loan :eek:

Threeband
October 15, 2008, 09:22 PM
Exactly. And that's the beauty of Dollar Cost Averaging! Start with my conservative outline, and in future years, you can increase to two a month.

Still, to get started, I like the 03-A3, largely because the CMP has lots of good ammo at good prices. Also it has good sights. But it depends on finding a nice shooter at a good price.

You might get a Lee Enfield for less, but ammo is costly. Also the sights aren't adjustable for windage. When you get your first No4 Mk1, get the click-adjustable ladder sight if you can.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/images/enfield_no4_rear_ad.jpg

The K98 Mauser will be the most versatile, good for Eastern and Western Front matches. Ammo is more expensive though, and the sights are not great. The Mauser will probably shoot way high at 100 yards, too.

When you get your first Garand from the CMP, take a look at the Field Grades. From what I hear, many are quite nice, and with the money you save, you can get your first 91/30.

Anyway, someone at your club can tell you how to qualify for CMP sales (sounds like you already have your qualifications about covered), and you can start taking immediate advantage of the ammo sales, even if you can't get your first Garand until after Thanksgiving. That's assuming you get a Springfield, for the sake of the ammo.

http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

----------------------------------

spuscg
October 15, 2008, 09:29 PM
i saw kittery trading post has several 1903s ill check it out soon. ill also be buying a .22 soon. in febuary a cd clears and i think i may get a m1a or ar for the vietnam match or service rifle match. probably a mosin for christmas:)

Threeband
October 15, 2008, 09:57 PM
That's the stuff! Semper Paratus!

By the way, Garands were used in Vietnam also, so you might be able to us one in a Vietnam match.

---------

spuscg
October 15, 2008, 10:02 PM
ill just collect rifles until im 21 then go on a pistol binge. i like milsurps, just the simplicity and history behind them

Threeband
October 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
I was thinking you could buy a rifle-a-month for a year, then a pistol-a-month for a year. Then maybe a machine-gun-a-month for a year, before rotating back to rifles. Lots of interesting ways you can go. Just don't squander your money of frivolous things like food or a social life.

I agree with you about milsurps. Lots of character and history. Endlessly interesting.

By the way, in the name of mature responsibility, I have to suggest you think carefully about how you re-invest that CD when it matures. Maybe another CD, maybe a mutual fund. And take a look at the boring version of Dollar Cost Averaging:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging

Dollar Cost Averaging plus The Miracle of Compound Interest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest) plus your opportunity to start young EQUALS a very realistic chance for you to be a millionaire when you take early retirement. And think of the Milsurps you can get then!

spuscg
October 16, 2008, 08:49 AM
already invested in a roth ira.....thats not going so well but my cds are still gaining interest. ill be graduating college debt free and will be able to buy whatever osama doesnt ban. Remember "any rifle originally designed for military use" is in the ban wording so milsurps may be in danger

Realbigo
October 16, 2008, 07:21 PM
Why aren't Mosin's allowed in some contests?
No Moisin's @ Normandy, or any other western front fracas. At least not that could be verified.

gunseller2
October 16, 2008, 08:02 PM
I love my Garands, but my 1903A3 is my favorite. Will they allow 1917s? My Eddytone was affordable and very accurate.

lionking
October 16, 2008, 08:28 PM
QUOTEhahahahaha, oh, it is so true. those poor guys, out so much money for a rifle that isn't even minute of potato.

hey, at least they are semi.

QuoteThey're too accurate. It just isn't fair to the other shooters who spent hundreds of dollars on Garands.

ugh excuse me,say what?Sorry but comparing a Mosin to a Garand is like comparing a hamburger to a prime rib..........

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5000746&postcount=100

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4959651&postcount=93

Deputy25
October 16, 2008, 09:42 PM
Our club has had similar matches. I've used my CMP Garand in a few, and used my K98 in one. The Garand and 1903A3 are the most popular.

spuscg
October 16, 2008, 10:23 PM
im thinking a 1903 could also double as a good hunting rifle and a mosins so cheap i could buy it just for fun

dvcrsn
October 16, 2008, 10:24 PM
I definitely support the Garand and the SMLE4:evil:, also keep your eyes open for a nice m1917 Winchester and a p14 (the Brit 303 that the M1917 is based on).

If you enjoyed reading about "time to buy a milsurp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!