Rust is neglect

PDA

ripcurlksm
October 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
I found some rust in the barrel of my relatively new marlin 30-30-- so I ran a few oiled up patches through the bore, followed by a few oiled patches draped over a copper brush. I then sprayed some anti rust spray down the barrel and let it soak, then followed up with more oiled patches draped over a copper brush.

.. and it looks good now. or so it appears. But how can I check the entire barrel? Are my options limited to: taking the barrel off and looking down the bore or buying a fancy camera that doctors use? I am concerned that I missed a few spots.

Thanks and please keep the well-deserved punches limited to my face and neck only :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust is neglect" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Picard
October 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
Whatever happened has happened. Just keep it well-oiled from now on.

lencac
October 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
Get one of those tiny MAG lites and put it in the breech end and look at it from the muzzle end. Be sure to clean out the oil you leave in it for storage before you shoot it. Oil in the bore when shooting can and will cause increase in pressures.

CRITGIT
October 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
A bore light and some CorrosionX!
Rust doesn't have a chance!

CRITGIT

ripcurlksm
October 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
thanks folks--

rcmodel
October 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
No need to take the barrel off!

You can take out the lever pivot screw and slide the bolt out and look down the bore.

And clean it from the back end, which is the recommended method.

rcmodel

Larry E
October 15, 2008, 07:25 PM
Just remember to run a couple of dry patches through the bore before shooting it next time!

jhansman
October 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
And, it never sleeps....

pbrktrt
October 15, 2008, 10:20 PM
critgrit has it. corrosion-x is the best product i've used for a lube/protection product ever. does a pretty decent job cleaning also. my go to for everything.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust is neglect" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!