Help fix my .22

PDA

chipperi
October 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
My uncle gave me a .22 years ago while he was cleaning out his gun safe. He told me he could never get it to fire reliably, if I could fix it I could have it. I pulled it out since I have been laid off and tore it down to the smallest parts and thoroughly cleaned and reassembled it. It will fire eject and chamber the next round just fine, but it appears as if the the action isn' t going all the way back far enough to reset the trigger. I am shooting federal bulk box .22lr, and they feel snappy enough to cycle the action. Any Ideas? It is a Savage Arms Springfield model 187j. pics below.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/chipperi/IMG_7159.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/chipperi/IMG_7158.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Help fix my .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FN5.7shooter
October 15, 2008, 03:52 PM
That is a very nice rifle. Check in at rimfirecentral they are all rimfire and there is a section for most rifles. :)

cinteal
October 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
I can't imagine what's causing your problems. I'm only posting that Savage techs seem to know what they're talking about and are friendly.

I suggest giving them a call.

shotgun12321
October 15, 2008, 04:52 PM
possibly take to a gunsmith

Larry E
October 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
A good general gunsmith should be able to get it up and running without much difficulty. Either a broken part internally or dirty.

Rimfire autoloaders get filthy and it could have enough gunk built up on the face of the bolt or rear of the barrel to keep the bolt from going into battery. If not that back to the gunsmith.

NCsmitty
October 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
chipperi, when you manually pull the bolt back it will cock the gun to fire, correct? It just does not cycle the bolt back far enough when you fire it to cock the inner hammer, is that correct?
I would cut a single coil from the bolt's recoil spring, if you think that you can do it, and try it. Continue until it functions. The gun does not appear to have had a lot of use, does it?
Many parts are available from e-gun parts for that model.
www.e-gunparts.com

NCsmitty

Funderb
October 15, 2008, 08:50 PM
put up a pick of the lower parts, covered by the stock now, I can probably tell you whats wrong. the recoil spring should not need to be cut, it is likely a sear problem.
I have one like yours, be glad to throw in any help i can.

oh, and most of these rifles were press assembled, so you really shouldn't take all the parts off, they are supposed to be semi-riveted on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help fix my .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!