Building a small lead melting pot: I have an idea.

PDA

Moptop
October 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
Oooh, I am so a gearhead! I was doing a little (lot) of research on melting pots/furnaces and came across a u-tube video of a guy who made his own furnace for melting aluminum. I was quite easy & cheap to build. His construction techniques could be applied very easily with just a little downsizing! A 120 volt hot plate, some chimney concrete, a small stone or ceramic crock, and a terracotta or clay flower pot. I know, I know, some of you are already saying that it would be easier to just buy one. Well true enough, but once again, "one man's junk is another man's treasure. (or building materials in this case)

Not sure if I want to attempt this yet. I'll have to scrounge around in my junk stash to see what I have. It's just a thought for now!

If you enjoyed reading about "Building a small lead melting pot: I have an idea." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
October 15, 2008, 07:22 PM
Melting lead is not something I would want to experiment with cobbled-up contraptions. I understand the frugality and do-it-yourself aspect, but molten metals are incredibly dangerous if they get loose. That stuff can burn all the way through you and out the other side. And nearly everything else that gets in the way. I recommend extreme caution.

GP100man
October 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
remember the density of what you are working with.
i only use a steel container to melt lead in .
6" pipe5" long with a 1/4 inch plate welded to the bottom holds about
25# lead . smeltin , or ladle castin thats about all i want in a molten state at any one time!!!!
absolutely no aluminum pots !!!!!! don`t ask how i know!!!!!!:eek::eek:
after smelting & cleaning i use a bottom pour lee dripomatic to cast with mostly.
check out castboolits.com ,be careful though casting is as addictive as reloading & think of ALLLLLL
the money you`ll be saving LOL!!!!!!!

GP100man:):)

Moptop
October 15, 2008, 09:01 PM
Guys, thanks for the warnings. It's nice to know you want me to stay safe. I'm very aware of how dangerous molten metal can be. I have a very high respect for it and know it only takes a second for things to go very wrong if your not watching & paying attention. I've done some aluminum sand casting & lead weight casting in the past so I'm a little familuar with it. Needless to say for this I would only use a steel container. I was just playing with the idea of how hard, or expensive, to make a small electric pot simular to a Lee 4 lb melter. What got me started on this was when I was trying to melt using a 700 watt hot plate with very little luck and then looking at the Lee melter and it being only 500 watts and thinking "what gives, how come theirs works and it's smaller?".

I appreciate you concern but believe me, if it's not safe I won't do it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Building a small lead melting pot: I have an idea." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!