October 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
A shop near me got in a couple FEG's. One is a PA63 in 9x18 for $159. The other is an SMC in .22 for $199. They are both Walther clones, and for the price, I don't expect Walther standards, but are they worth the price for plinkers/CC?
It would be nice to have enough money left over to buy more ammo, but I want a gun I can rely on. Are the FEG's reliable? Any owners out there that want to share a report?

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
October 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
As in all things, you get what you pay for. In the case of the FEGs, you won't get a lot of gun for the money. It's better to take a little more time and get the real deal. You can buy Interarms-made Walthers for $425 or so that are great, reliable firearms. Take a look at the French-made Walthers (the Manuhrin models); they also are superb guns, with a wonderful fit and finish, and can be found for as little as $395 if you look around. The German-made Walthes will run you more, but they are the real deal.

Don't rush into a deal that looks good now but will displease you the first time you take the gun to the range.

October 16, 2008, 07:15 AM
"You get what you pay for" seems to be used a lot. IMO with a FEG PA-63, you get more than you pay for. I find mine to be exceptionally accurate and completely reliable with fmj ammo. Invest another few bucks in a spring kit, and you have a fine CCW piece. Like a lot of folks on this board, I have more than a few handguns. I find myself picking my PA-63 for my CCW more times than not.

Mad Magyar
October 16, 2008, 08:34 AM
"You get what you pay for" seems to be used a lot.
+1 I don't like paying for their "glitzy" pic's in the gun rags....:(

Aka Zero
October 16, 2008, 08:52 AM
Friend has a pa-63, I like it slot. Recoil is kinda nippy, because of the lighter frame, but it's a nice gun to shoot.

My feg p9r was a bad experiance though. FTE all day long, extractor work and extractor spring, and recoil spring later, still 1 fte per mag... Gone now, it was replaced by a ruger mark III bull.

October 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
ive had 3 feg"s, a hi power clone,a hi power looking compact with smith and wesson lockwork,"i thinks what they called it"p9r or somethin, and a pa63,never a problem out of any of them all bought for less then 200.00,pa63 eats everything ball and hp,snappy shooters. good luck.tokarevs for me.

October 16, 2008, 03:31 PM
I also have an FEG Bfowning clone and has shot great every time I pull the trigger

October 16, 2008, 06:22 PM
I,ve nothing but good luck with the three FEG's I've owned. Two were Hipower clones. Beautiful deep blue finish and shot as well as my Browning.

I have also owned a little SMC .22lr. Fun little shooter and pretty accurate what with a fixed barrel. Shot the hell out of it , took it to the range every time I went. $ 199.00 is a fair price, not great but you'll get over it. Price the same gun with a Walther banner on it and see if you want to save up for one. Not me. Id take the FEG and enjoy it. FUN, fun, fun.

October 16, 2008, 08:52 PM

From my experience, FEG products, primarily their Hi-Power clones, are decent buys for the money. The last one I saw, and that my buddy bought, had a high polished blue slide and a matte chrome frame that looked nicer than some top dollar FN Hi-Powers I've seen. Fit and function were also very good, and after removing the mag safety, the trigger pull improved as well. All in all, a good bang for your buck.

October 16, 2008, 09:20 PM
What do you mean by mag safety? I am not familiar with that term. Mag release, obviously, but not mag safety.

Sorry in advance if that's a dumb question.

Edit: There is a site that has these for $130.00. I see that it is a 9x18 caliber (Makarov). I have never even heard of that round. Is it difficult to find?

October 16, 2008, 09:43 PM
My FEG has been rock solid. Never any mechanical problems. Granted, I only feed it fmj. Everytime I pull the trigger, it goes bang, and then it reloads, and I make it go bang again :)

October 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
The SMC .22 is a cheap shooting analog to the Walther .380. Much better buy than the Walther P22.

October 17, 2008, 04:44 AM
i bought this for a $150. I'll never sell it. http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn237/chorizoisgood.p

October 17, 2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I had an unexpected problem with the car, which cost me more then I wanted to spend, so I went with the cheaper, and more potent, of the two. I got the PA63.
Hopefully I'll get some time off soon and get to play with it. It seems like a well made gun.

October 29, 2008, 06:41 PM
You will not be disappointed with the pa63. I CC mine daily. I changed out the springs and bought some rosewood grips. I carry it in a bianchi size 9 IWB.

October 29, 2008, 08:43 PM
The key phrase here is "value for $ spent". I doubt those that always state "you get what you pay for" do not drive around in a Rolls Royce.

October 29, 2008, 09:30 PM
I had PJK-9HP. Looked pretty, but was otherwise a pretty big piece of crap. I personally wouldn't bother with another unless it was really cheap.

The thing about those two guns you listed is that they aren't really what I'd consider good plinkers, and I wouldn't use them for a carry piece based on my experiences with FEG. The price is almost good enough.

Personally, save up the extra 50 bucks and get a Cz82.

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!