Any Oregon Shooters??

PDA

Carlos
January 14, 2003, 11:44 PM
Hello, I'm new here. Looking for fellow shooters who live in southern Washington or Oregon.

I shoot at least twice a week (rifles on weekend and pistols during the week at indoor range), sometimes more. I do my own reloading to make the habit affordable. :rolleyes:

I'm heavy into military weaponry and collect C&Rs. Here's one of my C&R babies - the shiny FR8.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Oregon Shooters??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dude
January 15, 2003, 02:58 AM
I smell a California psycho in that picture (and a jackass)

Seeker
January 15, 2003, 03:18 AM
You bet! I am a little farthere south though - Lebanon area.

Carlos
January 15, 2003, 03:28 AM
Yes, good call. Yes, I know that Psycho.

A little South

Carlos
January 15, 2003, 03:32 AM
In fact, waaaay South.

Thanks Mods for moving this thread.

Just connecting with established shooting buds and hoping to meet new ones.

Can't have enough shootin buddies

PropellerHead
January 15, 2003, 10:14 AM
Carlos,

Some of us SW Washington/Oregon shooters are going to be at the Firearms Academy of Seattle on Mar 2nd. Here's the thread that discusses it. Oregon THR / FAS shoot (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1876&highlight=FAS) If you can make it, I highly recommend it. Marty puts on a good shoot. It'll make you think and you will come away from it better prepared for some self defence scenarios.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Robert inOregon
January 15, 2003, 03:16 PM
:)

Carlos
January 15, 2003, 06:07 PM
Might make the March 2 shoot. Sounds like fun.

I'll check out the link.

RobertInOregon, you'll have to come shooting with me and the "dump" boys sometime.

... working on a small army it seems.

:)

Lars
January 15, 2003, 11:40 PM
:cool:

Zip06
January 17, 2003, 08:48 PM
Bueno Carlos. Count me in.

Lars
January 17, 2003, 09:13 PM
Glad to see you here Zip.:D

Carlos
January 17, 2003, 10:54 PM
Zip, Tyris and I will be at the Dump on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. He's bringing his new CETME and I'm going with my new AK-47. :)

See you there. I just hope the damned wind dies down a bit. It's cold and blustery here at Evil Homebase right now. ;)

Zip06
January 17, 2003, 11:50 PM
This wind is just blasting down the Gorge. No wind at Lake Oswego or over in Canby. Maybe we will get lucky. Count me in.

Carlos
January 18, 2003, 12:48 AM
Sweet. I'll pick up some clays on the way out.

itgoesboom
January 18, 2003, 03:27 AM
You got another Oregon shooter here.....I live in Beaverton.

You guys ever make it out this way?

Also, know any good places to shoot, that don't cost an arm and a leg?

I.G.B.

LMSG30
January 18, 2003, 04:06 AM
Carlos,
I live in Salem and don't get the chance to shoot nearly enough!

LMSG30

Amish
January 18, 2003, 04:10 AM
I'm in the Porltand area. Where is the "Dump"? I'm going to go shooting tomorrow around noon at the spot on the way to Cannon Beach. You know, the one place 43 miles out on the left side of the highway right after the Welcome to Tillamook Forest sign.

SKN
January 18, 2003, 04:35 AM
I'm also in Beaverton. There'll be a few of us from PSTC in Clackamas going up to FAS in March, weather permitting and where, as a group, we've done fairly well.

Carlos
January 18, 2003, 11:25 AM
I think a few of our informal Dump Gang will go north in March to play.

Hey, four more shooting buddies! The "Dump" is exactly 12 miles past Estacada. It's an old quarry on the left hand side of the road, 2 miles past Memaloose Bridge. It's 80 yards of hillside to shoot at. We usually bring clays and whatever else turns us on.

Come on up and shoot with us sometime. Tomorrow at 10:00 a.m., and it's a beautiful drive up the Clackamas River.

Carl

Glockster35
January 18, 2003, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

I used to live in a small town called St. Helens Oregon.

All my guns are there in storage, so when I get a chance to come back to the states, we will have to all get together somewhere and have a range session.

It will be about a year or so, but would be a great time.

Carlos
January 18, 2003, 11:28 AM
You would be welcome any time.

Well, I'm off to buy a new AK. (can't believe I was tossing and turning in my sleep last night "counting AKs" instead of "sheep." I'm an addict. Pathetic). :)

Carl

SASS#23149
January 18, 2003, 12:09 PM
Glockster35
You think your town was small?? I live just south of ya in Scappoose..not THAT'S small(but it's getting bigger everyday)

I"m a transplant from Wa. state,been a cowboy shooter for a couple of years now.Shoot at Albany,Sherood,the Dalles,and sometimes Renton wa.

I'll be shooting at Albany tomorrow,anyone can come watch a match ,you'll be welcome.

YEEHAW!!

Carlos
January 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
Come on down and bring those cowboy guns. Our military guns won't care.

Glockster35
January 18, 2003, 12:32 PM
SASS,

Heck I think ol' Scab town has St. Helens beat size wise nowdays. I was there just under a year ago, and was surprised to see how big that lil' town has grown. Heck they got a Fred Meyers now...

Capital Punishment
January 18, 2003, 12:49 PM
Carlos;

Those are some nice evil black rifles you got yourself there. :cool:

dairycreek
January 18, 2003, 03:15 PM
Live in rural Oregon near North Plains. Good shooting:)

Carlos
January 19, 2003, 01:13 AM
Wish those particular rifles you're talking about were mine. :(

I Will be getting a VEPR one of these days though. Well, added another AK to the collection today. Very pleased with it. Hope she bumps well.

Carlos
January 19, 2003, 11:50 AM
Shootout 10:00 a.m. today.

Take Highway 224 to Estacada, Oregon. Pass Through Town at De Speed Limit. At edge of town, proceed straight, reset your odometer and haul *** (a great drive) 12 miles as I recall. When you see a green bridge off to the right, you have two more miles to go. Dump is off to the left, and you should have no problem seeing it.

Hope to see some new, and friendly, faces up there.

Carl

Schuey2002
January 25, 2003, 08:21 AM
Another ORIGUN THRer chiming in..

I live about 225 miles south of your location..

The New Carissa is right over there ..

<---------------- :D

Stopdropnroll
September 11, 2003, 05:52 AM
I live in Estacada, so honk as you pass through on your way to the dump.... After living here for many years, I tend to do most my shooting in town at the indoor range. On the rare occasion I do get to go shoot up in the woods, I generally past the dump to the Memaloose Bridge, cross the bridge and proceed up the road 6.9-7.1 miles to Torch or Hellion pit.

SDnR ;)

Gray Peterson
September 11, 2003, 07:10 AM
Hillsboro, Oregon here.

Danimal
September 11, 2003, 01:32 PM
Hey guys!

I live in Tigard. Count me in for a day on the range.

-Dan

RocketMan
September 11, 2003, 01:49 PM
I'm back in God's Country now, after a year and half in Austin, TX.
Austin was okay, but the beer's much better here.
Hanging out in McMinnville for the time being.

Lived in Hillsboro for six years prior to going to Austin. My ex and my ex-house still live there.

Used to shoot in the quarry up Highway 6 at the summit on the way to Tillamook.

Carlos
September 11, 2003, 02:13 PM
Stopdropandroll. We shoot Wednesdays at Johnson Creek Gun Club. Been a member there for years.

SDR, Lonnie, Danimal and Rocketman, come on up with us sometime. Fall and Winter won't be stopping the Dump gang anytime soon.

I'm thinking of hitting the Dump this weekend. I'll be camping up in the area Saturday night.

Any takers???

David4516
September 11, 2003, 05:28 PM
I'm 22, and have lived every one of those years here in Oregon (Ory-Gone for those of you who don't live here :p ) . Wouldn't want to live anywhere else either, I love it here. I grew up in an around McMinnville, but have lived in Beaverton for the last several years.

I know of a couple shooting spots. One is just off of Sunset highway, about 35 miles from the coast. Another one, that I call "the pit", is a few miles from Carlton. It was a big hole in the ground, thats why I called it the pit, but it has been filled in recently. You can still shot there though, if you can get around all the trash that people have dumped there :cuss:

reptiman
September 11, 2003, 07:16 PM
Springfield here....

I make it up to Scappoose every few months as the in-laws live there. I've been meaning to make a shooting run to Estacada for almost a year now.

Stickjockey
September 11, 2003, 07:51 PM
North Portland checking in. I'm up by the airport.

Boudicca
September 11, 2003, 09:39 PM
I shoot at the indoor range -- PSTC.

Carlos
September 11, 2003, 09:41 PM
I'm 10 minutes from the airport in Hollywood area.

Anybody interested in shooting up at the Dump this weekend?

Zip06
September 11, 2003, 11:14 PM
Carl - I'll have to take a rain check.

For all of the rest of you, welcome. Sometimes we go up to Estacada to shoot outdoors and sometimes we use indoor ranges in Portland. You all are welcome at either.

oldfart
September 11, 2003, 11:18 PM
Carlos; What time do you show up at Johnson Creek Gun Club? I just joined this last year and try to get there once or twice a month. Since I only live three miles away and I'm retired, I can make it almost anytime.

Carlos
September 11, 2003, 11:23 PM
Wednesdays are the regular night, meet up around 7:45 p. Or, I go on the whim. Just PM if you want to go.

By the way, both you and Zip06 are retired and live basically in the area. Zip?

Come on up to the Dump sometime. That's where we let it all out. I really love that stretch of River, whether driving, biking, fishing, shooting, or camping.

Zip, see you next time around.

voilsb
September 11, 2003, 11:37 PM
Corvallis, here. Senior at Oregon State. Don't know how I missed this thread back in January ...

itgoesboom
September 12, 2003, 12:09 AM
I'm 22, and have lived every one of those years here in Oregon (Ory-Gone for those of you who don't live here ) .

Wow, an actual native Oregonian. I have heard of you types, but never really met any "natives". I think almost everyone in Oregon is from California (like me, i moved up here seeking political asylum,), and there are really only half dozen or so natives.

Even more rare than Bigfoot. :D

I.G.B.

dude
September 12, 2003, 12:53 AM
ahoy there dump-gang

Your old pals dude and carlos named the place 'cause of all the whitetrash leaving their crap there!

I don't make it there very much anymore since moving to Bend ..........as there are so many good places to shoot close by. I'll be shooting and fishing in the Steens for the next 5 days or so.

Carlos
September 12, 2003, 01:19 AM
why you lucky #$*&#$(*# Was wondering when you would pipe in. :)

Wow, an actual native Oregonian. I have heard of you types, but never really met any "natives". I think almost everyone in Oregon is from California (like me, i moved up here seeking political asylum,), and there are really only half dozen or so natives.

I'm third generation Oregonian. :neener: You're just visiting, right? ItGoesBoom? You ARE going back to ************? The Tom McCall angle

DUMP SHOOT THIS WEEKEND. Any and all willing and able bodies are invited to put in their preferences for which day.

RocketMan
September 12, 2003, 01:37 AM
Hey, I'm a native Oregonian! I've just been gone a lot.
Born in Portland, as a matter of fact. Too many years ago. :D

Carlos
September 12, 2003, 01:53 AM
:) Yes, many moons ago myself.

David4516
September 12, 2003, 04:57 AM
"I think almost everyone in Oregon is from California"

Well I'm only first generation Oregonian. My Dad came from south of the boarder (the Oregon/California boarder that is, not the US/Mexico one) when he was in his teens. My Mom has lived in Oregon most of her life though, we even went to the same high school (same school, different decades).

As for target shooting this weekend, I'd love to meet some fellow Oregon gun nuts, but I already had plans to go to Tri-County gun club with my Dad on sunday(he is a member there), and I have to work on Saturday. Maybe next time though...

Schuey2002
September 12, 2003, 05:42 AM
Wow, an actual native Oregonian. I have heard of you types, but never really met any "natives". I think almost everyone in Oregon is from California (like me, i moved up here seeking political asylum,), and there are really only half dozen or so
Yeah, I guess I could be called a 'Native' as well. Our family has lived in Oregon (mainly over here on the lovely coastal region) since the late 1890's!! :neener:

Zeke Menuar
September 12, 2003, 07:32 AM
Third generation native Oregonian.

I live in Salem. Still looking for some decent gravel pits or similar place to shoot that is reasonably close to the Salem area.

ZM

reptiman
September 12, 2003, 10:56 AM
Hey now...I am a Native Oregonian also. Alas, my wife is a ********** import. But at least she'll never go back.

Carlos
September 12, 2003, 02:01 PM
OK, back to shooting.

10:00 a.m. Sunday - The Dump!!! There will be a party of three so far.

Double Maduro
September 12, 2003, 02:33 PM
You can always tell a native Oregonian by the webbed feet and the moss growing behind their ears.

I have only lived here for 24 years, wish I had found it sooner.

DM

Carlos
September 12, 2003, 06:18 PM
Yes, have both.

10:00 a.m. Sunday - The Dump!!! There will be a party of three so far.

btt

David4516
September 12, 2003, 06:48 PM
Double Maduro, were you the guy I talked to a while ago back about Makarovs at the Northwest armory? If so, how is your new Mak working out?

Double Maduro
September 12, 2003, 08:29 PM
David4516

Yep, that was me.

I don't know how I went so long with out a Mak.

It is in the rotation of ccw, and comes in real handy on those warm days when nothing that will cover my Ruger P90 is wearable.

Did you get one yet?

DM

David4516
September 13, 2003, 04:59 AM
Nope, not yet. May not happen for a while, I'm only working part time and trying to put myself thur school. I plan to get a new one when I can, but for now I'll have to get by with just one (I already had a Makarov). I am seriously thinking about converting to .32 NAA whenever I get around to buying that Mak...

I'll be sure to bring my current Mak with me if I go to the "Dump" to meet other THR memebers. I'll see if I can get them hooked too ;)

Heck maybe someone can give me some pointers on how to shoot it better. I'm pretty good with the Mak at close range, but I don't even know if I can hit a target at all at 25 yards. I know it's me and not the Mak, because I let my Dad give it a try and he shot a pretty darn good group with it at that range. I'm much better with rifles than I am with handguns, I'm hoping to improve with practice...

Zip06
September 13, 2003, 09:29 AM
You will find that the Dump shooters have discovered Makarovs. Last week I had a squib load in one of my Maks. Can't blame the gun for that but I won't be shooting S&B 9x18 anytime in the near future. All kinds of Soviet bloc firearms have been seen at the dump.

Carlos
September 13, 2003, 12:50 PM
Ya, sometimes you'd swear its the the Communist Army Annex itself up there. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/SPanikengun.gif

Well, I'm packing rifles and pistols, camping gear, going to the store for provisions and ice and heading on up to spend the day fishing and reading.

I'll be at the Dump at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow.

oldfart
September 18, 2003, 02:53 PM
I was born right here in Portland 69 years ago. I've traveled some, but now I'm back home.

It ain't likely that I'll make it to the dump. We're a one-car family and the wife needs it to go to church on Sundays. But I did make it to the supposed weekly shoot at Johnson Creek Gun Club last night. Where the Sam Hill was everybody else? I got there at 7:30 and found two guys shooting. They left about 15 minutes later and I hung around until 8:20 before I gave up and went home.

Carlos
September 18, 2003, 02:55 PM
Sorry we missed you. We picked the wrong day to cancel out.

PM me next time you want to get together. Sorry. :(

schadenfreude
December 19, 2003, 11:11 PM
I guess the search function can pay off. I'm in Portland by Glendoveer golf course in NE.

I've been looking for a good place to shoot outdoors for a while now. I shoot a few times a week down in Delta Park at TPTS.

Maybe I'll have to get in the car soon and take a trip out to Estacada or is that Molestacada? :D

Maybe I'll see some of you soon. Anyone going to the gunshow at the Expo tomorrow?

Cheers

M60
December 20, 2003, 04:38 AM
Jeez... Lots of gun toters here in Oregun. I'v done the Dump a couple of times. We should do it again soon.

The Pig.

buttrap
December 20, 2003, 04:51 AM
Figures, all the Orygone gunners on the board are on the west side. long trip for us east side guys.

Variable
December 20, 2003, 05:28 AM
Down in Medford, I recognize a few of these names, Voilsb and M60.

Zip06
December 20, 2003, 09:31 AM
There are plenty of us here in the Portland area. Yes another outdoor shoot is in order.

Shweboner
December 20, 2003, 10:31 AM
I have to wonder whats wrong with me? I keep moving farther and farther away from the dump... now Im in Newberg!

We should definitely get to the dump, I have a couple weekends off in January, I can probably make it this time!!! Keep us posted on if and when it goes down.

oh, and if anyone needs xtra ammo at the dump, remember, always free delivery;)

~Brian

Carlos
December 20, 2003, 06:20 PM
Lots of us on the east side of town.

Yup, another dump shoot is in order. Perhaps tomorrow???

Shweboner
December 21, 2003, 12:42 AM
Count me out for tomorrow... Have to work... last weekend before Xmas and all. Its going to be a zoo there.:(

I could venture out there January 3 or 4, 2004 though.

Since the last time I shot @ the Dump, Ive got:
SAR1, Arcus 94, Ruger Single-Six, and a MN 91/30 truly has been a long time... when was the last time anyone went up there, is it still bulldozed?

~Brian

voilsb
December 21, 2003, 02:17 AM
Once again, the whole "no car" thing keeps me from joining any of you guys.

I'll be in KFalls for about a week starting on Monday. If anyone wants to get together and do something (even if it's say 'hi' over a drink), feel free to PM me so I'm not bored as heck in K-town.

David4516
December 21, 2003, 04:28 AM
I'd like to go but the Dump is a pretty long drive compared to my other 2 shooting spots, and I don't have many days off...

schadenfreude
December 21, 2003, 04:36 AM
I wish I had the time to go tomorrow but I have too much to do to prepare for family coming over.

I am interested in finding more "free" places to shoot and rifle ranges. I'ts costing me a small fortune in range fees alone and that could be better spent on ammo :D

Carlos
December 21, 2003, 12:28 PM
Was up there last Sunday with a couple of the Dump Gang. Still bulldozed, muddy and cleaned up quite nicely.

The Dump is alive and well. Hmmm, I'm tempted to head up there today by myself.

elkhunter
December 21, 2003, 01:33 PM
Fellow Oregonian here. Montana transplant to the East Side of the state for a few years, Now live in Coos Bay. Would love to get up to the dump and shoot with you guys sometime.
Have a hard time finding a place to shoot down here. Weyerhauser closed the most popular spot to shooters this summer. Fortunately one of the people I work with (well, my supervisor actually) has a big back yard we can plink in. Went out there yesterday and unloaded 500 rounds of .22 (which really doesn't take to long) as a matter of fact.

badgerrr
December 21, 2003, 02:09 PM
'Nother Montana transplant here (from '77).

Doing the Springfield thing. Throw most of my lead out by Lookout Reservoir or out by Fall Creek.

My usual gravel pit affords 180 yard shooting. In western Oregon, that's pretty good range.

Got a spot up Goodman Creek road that allows shots of over 500 yards, but it's a logged ridge-line and the wind up there is often rather annoying. Gets all the bad weather too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Oregon Shooters??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!