.308 Enfields

PDA

jaytex1969
October 16, 2008, 04:05 PM
FYI:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Close_Out_Enfield_2A_.308_NATO_Rifles.html

I just bought one so they're down to 12 or less.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Enfields" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reid73
October 16, 2008, 04:36 PM
Lee-Enfields are great, but personally I like them to be built on the No.4 Mk.1's heavier receiver.

The Ishapore 2A's reportedly feature a stronger steel than that used in the original SMLE Mk. IIIs. Still, be careful of using any .308 ammo that could remotely be described as 'hot'. Many people suggest restricting the 2A's to 7.62 military ammunition, though I don't know about that.

Enjoy your new toy! :)

Realbigo
October 16, 2008, 04:58 PM
OOORAH!!! mine is on the Way!!! So Jay, Are you gonna fix yours up stock or pimp it out?

Golden Hound
October 16, 2008, 05:05 PM
Please don't pimp it out! These things are historical relics! Leave them the way they are!

Just my .02

You will be happy in a decade or so when you have an original piece of history (and a great investment)

Reid73
October 16, 2008, 05:13 PM
Well, I dunno about the historical relic / future investment argument. They are post-WWII ex-Indian army surplus, and are unlikely to attract any great following.

That said, I too hope that the o/p won't 'pimp' his rifle. The custom of sporterizing ex-military firearms dates from the time when commercial hunting rifles were essentially unavailable (except at very high prices). That situation no longer applies. If someone wants an inexpensive .308 equipped with a scope, 22" barrel, synthetic stock, etc., there are now plenty of options available.

Golden Hound
October 16, 2008, 05:27 PM
They are historically interesting in that they were the last of the Enfield rifles.

Realbigo
October 16, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking of refurbishing mine and building into one of these.
http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn44-e.htm
When I have more cash, I'll buy or build one into a Safe Queen

markk
October 16, 2008, 05:47 PM
Man, do I want one... :(

Reid73
October 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
They are historically interesting in that they were the last of the Enfield rifles.

Really? I was under the impression that Australian International Arms (http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/) is currently scratch-building Lee-Enfields. And then there are the counterfeit SMLEs produced by generations of Afghani home gunsmiths.

With luck, the mighty Lee-Enfield will still be in production long after we are all dead and gone!

Realbigo
October 16, 2008, 05:59 PM
I've also heard that they are still being built in the Middle East, but I have no proof.

Golden Hound
October 16, 2008, 07:31 PM
I've always read that trying to fire a Khyber Pass Enfield is a good way to possibly blow your own head off. Has anyone here actually shot one of those things?

Realbigo
October 16, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have an aquaintance(I don't like or trust the guy, so this may be questionable) who says he carried a battlefield pickup Kyhber in his vehicle, and used it at long ranges for the last 2 months he was in Afghanistan. If he ain't full of it, at least his didn't explode. I do know taht the Pakistani gunmakers take great pride in their wierd handmade weapons. In the early 90's while on Libo, me and two buddys pooled our money and "rented" a broomhandle copy in 7.62Tok. we each gave the old boy about $10 and he gave us 100 rounds. we had a great time in the little garbage dump/range outside of Karachi(SP) but alas we had to give it back. I really doubt we would have gotten away w/ trying to smuggle it in, and if we had gotten caught, we'd have gotten hammered.

Starship1st
October 16, 2008, 09:32 PM
That is a good price too. Anyone know if you have an 03 FFL if you can do modifications to the rifle? :cool:

JWarren
October 16, 2008, 09:41 PM
Anyone know if you have an 03 FFL if you can do modifications to the rifle?

Why would you need an FFL to work on your rifle?

-- John

VolDaddy
October 16, 2008, 09:43 PM
Im placing a order in the morning....
Thanks for the heads up fellas.

Kentucky-roughrider
October 16, 2008, 09:56 PM
I looked at AIA wedsite and like what I saw but wished they had something in 303 British. I all ready have a NO 4 Mk 1

ultramag44
October 16, 2008, 10:09 PM
Here is a really interesting article on the Ishapore 7.62X51 Enfield.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/762ishy/index.asp

I have read that kyber pass tribesmen made rifles range in quality from as good as the "real deal" to soft and sloppy.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/100_0932-1.jpg

VolDaddy
October 18, 2008, 01:36 AM
I missed out they are all gone.:banghead:

4thPointOfContact
October 18, 2008, 02:18 PM
I didn't mind 'pseudo-scouting' my Ishapore 2A1. When I picked it up it had already been cut back to look like a jungle gun, complete with conical flash hider.

I took off everything I didn't want and put it in a synthetic stock. An XS SightSystems scout scope mount rides just in front of the receiver and very nicely at that, it's the same diameter as the receiver and there's only a thin line between the two.
http://www.xssights.com/store/pix/catalog/scope/scope-bot.jpg

I cut the barrel back just a bit further to get rid of the turned down area that the original flash hider had mounted on and added a slotted flash hider from an FAL with integral bayonet mount.
http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_misc/553.jpg

The only think I want to do before calling it finished, is to bed the forearm a bit. I'm not worried about accuracy, but the 'smith who Dremeled® put the forearm cut a bit deeply in a few places.

Rshooter
October 18, 2008, 07:33 PM
I have got two of the old girls that I bought many years ago when they were stacking them deep. Man, those were the days, surplus rifles were coming in from all over the world. The wood has been refinished with Tung Oil, the only modification.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd69/ssgtward/Ishy308.jpg

GBExpat
October 19, 2008, 12:02 AM
Here are quick-pics of the two that I acquired from AIM when they first got them in 2(3?) summers ago. I removed the cheap, black paint that had been slopped all over the metal (and some of the wood) and redid the wood finish with BLO.

Top: As they arrived
Bottom: As they are now

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Jungesblut/Enfield2%20A/Rifles3.jpg

paintballdude902
October 19, 2008, 02:29 AM
i had mine out today for opening day of deer season

Realbigo
October 27, 2008, 07:40 PM
does anyone know what kind of strippers work for the .308 Ishys???

alemonkey
October 27, 2008, 10:06 PM

I would guess the ones who aren't independently wealthy.

Realbigo
October 28, 2008, 12:13 AM
I would guess the ones who aren't independently wealthy
And one of these days i'm gonna do a calender

Rshooter
October 29, 2008, 12:39 AM

I used sandpaper to work mine down. ACK he says...you removed the cartouches. Cartouches, what cartouches I says. Oh them little marks in the wood. They are still there. Steam'em I says.

paintballdude902
October 29, 2008, 01:39 AM

any .308 ones

i use the ones that came with an m-14 repack kit

finfanatic
October 29, 2008, 06:31 AM
I missed out on the close outs...I called the morning after I read this thread...all gone.

I did buy a can of that German .308 though.

I got this from AIM back In Septemeber:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/finfanatic88/enf-2A-right-small.jpg

I liked it so much I was gonna buy another one, but they had sold out.

SOG has some Ishy 2As though. Anybody buy an Ishapore .308 from SOG?

paintballdude902
October 29, 2008, 10:03 AM
i cant buy guns from sog since i dont have an ffl or c&r

ive heard that they are fine to order with and have geat service

Realbigo
October 30, 2008, 05:01 PM
does anybody know if there is a trick to removing the Bolt? I just got mine home, and i was going start cleaning it, But i cant get the flippin' bolt out

Mr_Pale_Horse
October 30, 2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, there is a trick.

The bolt head has to be rotated to vertical. Some bolt heads freely rotate, some are retained by a springloaded latch that has to be pushed down, some snap over a piece of spring steel.

Realbigo
October 30, 2008, 05:41 PM
It's kickin' my butt. I found a little shelf that moves under leverage, so i sprayed a little Balistol in the spot, and I'm going to let it sit overnight. hopefully that will do the trick.

Rshooter
October 30, 2008, 09:48 PM
Strippers, I was thinking of wood stripper for the stock. Silly me. Any .308 stripper, like the M1A, or FAL stripper clips. You can by them in bulk on Ebay or pay a fortune for them through some of the gun brokers.

Realbigo
November 2, 2008, 04:50 PM
Still having no luck, but I was very lucky to meet Ian Skennerton @b the Norfolk Gun Show, and he gave me his book on them, and Autographed it for me. Nice Gent

lionking
November 2, 2008, 04:54 PM
If they shoot point of aim at 100yds with I might consider one,do they?I ask because a couple weeks ago at the range a guy had a SMLE that shot high at 100yds.

paintballdude902
November 2, 2008, 06:28 PM
real to remove the bolt from the ishy pull the bolt all the way back (like you would to eject a cartridge) and while its all the way back push the bolt head to the top (so it will turn towards the left top of the reciever)

edit here

http://surplusrifle.com/smle/boltdisassembly/index.asp

sadp40
November 2, 2008, 08:47 PM
a fal or cetme so i ordered one from aim to it home and carefully following directions, disassembled it and cleaned and cleaned then oven cleanered the stock oh my it was beautiful but it just wouldn't work it wouldn't feed then if i got it to feed it would not i mean would not eject the fired shell. so i traded it to a fella who wanted a .308 to hunt with he said he only needed 1 shot so he gave me his ruger service-six i'm happy i guess he's happy he never said anything to me.

Realbigo
November 3, 2008, 03:00 AM
It's getting the bolt head to rotate to 12o'clock, that isn't happenning. The little spring catch seems to be stuck, or jammed, but now that I have an exploded drawing to work from, I'll have it apart on Wednesday, and hopefully to the range shortly afterwards.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 3, 2008, 09:45 AM
My strippers raise holy hell when I try to use sandpaper on them. :uhoh:

Nice rig, 4thpointofcontact!

Realbigo
November 5, 2008, 02:29 PM
Another addition to my new(to me) Ishapore 2a. It turned out that the comsoline had hardened inside the stock to a granite like hardness. once i got it out of the stock, I got it all chipped away, the bolt removed, and the reciever is presently soaking to soften up the rest of the cosmo. Does any body have a good way of cleaning out the wood? I already found that it won't fit in my dishwasher. Any help, as always, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again :)

paintballdude902
November 5, 2008, 08:12 PM
i soaked mine in mineral spirits for an hour then put it in a hot shower theni toweled it off and slowly let it dry

i have heard oven cleaner works well and also the steam cleaners you can buy and wallmart or cvs called the shark or something like that work very very well

alemonkey
November 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
Oven cleaner works very well. Spray it down, wait 5 minutes or so, then scrub it gently with a scotchbrite pad and rinse thoroughly with water. You may need to repeat a couple times, but it will take you down to bare wood. Make very sure you get all the oven cleaner off, as it's caustic and probably not good for the wood long term.

finfanatic
November 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
My 2A from AIM shoots fine. That was one reason I tried to order another.

Not long after I got it, I went to the range, and the 100 yard tables were jammed up, so I shot it at the 50 yard with some cheap ammo I also got from AIM.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/finfanatic88/enf-2A-target-small.jpg

The first three were slow SLOW fired. Bullseyes. The longer string up towards 2 o'clock was abit faster rate of fire. The others were me trying to emulate the "mad minute" of 30 aimed rounds of fire in 60 seconds the Brits were supposedly capable of.

I took it to the range last weekend for some 100-125 yard shooting. Shoots a little high, but grouped around 4-6" with some gunshow ammo on stripper clips.

I really WISH I had bought another one from AIM when they had them.

The path to true milsurp happiness is fraught with peril. But sometimes, it's worth the risk. :)

Realbigo
November 7, 2008, 07:13 PM
looks like a nice group to me. I'm hoping to get all the cosmo, and black paint off over the weekend. then I'll re-assemble, range test, and try to get some 'before' pics for all.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Enfields" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!