Question about Graf's

PDA

karnaaj
October 16, 2008, 09:08 PM
I had never ordered from them before but based on other peoples recommendations and the fact that they were the only one with a LnL in stock I went ahead and put in an order Tues. Other than a confirmation email that they got the order I haven't heard squat from them. The thing that worries me is that they wasted no time in charging my CC. When I went to the site and looked up my acct all it said was "processing". Should I be concerned? Just for comparison I put in an order with Midway last nite and it has already shipped

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Graf's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SSN Vet
October 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
I haven't dealt with Graf's, but everyone around here says they're great.

They are a much smaller outfit than Midway, however.

You'll hear lot's of balking about Midway's prices and shipping charges, but they run a slick logistic operation and almost always ship in stock items the same day or the next day.

You'll get what you paid for. When is another question.

Ol` Joe
October 16, 2008, 10:09 PM
Graf is a great company to do business with. Give them a couple days, I normally see my order in 5-6 days when I buy from them. Midway does get it to me faster, but they charge 10Xs the shipping too.

closetgunnut
October 16, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've ordered from Graf's and never had a problem. Love the $4.50 shipping and I usually get my order within 3-5 business days.

The only "problem" I've encountered is their Order History. It doesn't update very well.

I ordered some decapping pins back in March that were on back order. I got them 5 days later and in my Order History they are still shown as being back ordered.:what:

Strongbad
October 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
I've ordered a gob of stuff from Graf & Son's. Never had any probs. Give it a couple of days.

Quoheleth
October 16, 2008, 11:31 PM
If you're worried, call 'em.

Personally, I rarely order via email/webpage anymore. I shop and set up my shopping cart, but when it comes to placing the order I prefer calling & talking to the person on the other end.

Q

oldgold
October 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
I use both. Graf's is always 7-10 days. Mid way is much faster but shipping is a little higher.

Last week I ordered 500 bullets of one type and 200 of another plus a couple of dies and a few small parts. The next day I got a call from Midway and a guy called mike apologized because they had sold out of the 500 bullets listed as in stock. He asked if it would be O.K. if they shipped them on their own hook as soon as they came in on the 15th. Since they were just stock to me I agreed. E-mail just told me they will arrive at my door on the 17th.

Total shipping was $13.50. Hard to beat that for customer service.

35 Whelen
October 17, 2008, 12:30 AM
Before ordering, I always do a price comparison between Midway, Grafs, Powder Valley, Mid-South and Widners. Widners seems to always have the best price. I've been buying from them for years and they've never let me down.
35W

qajaq59
October 17, 2008, 06:28 AM
I order some dies from them on Monday and they arrived yesterday. I use them and Midway both and have had no problems with either one.

Walkalong
October 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
Grafs is good to go. They use Fed Ex for their "free" shipping, and my local Fed Ex guy is a problem, but Grafs is not. They are a good company.

EShell
October 17, 2008, 08:00 AM
I've ordered a gob of stuff from Graf & Son's. Never had any probs. Give it a couple of days.
Same here. Graf's is always GTG for me. I've used them quite a bit for bulk orders on powder and primers, and for a minimum order, they decline shipping AND HazMat

Jimfern
October 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
No problems with my order and they were cheaper than Midway.

DEDON45
October 17, 2008, 11:37 AM
The experience you describe as to the website and the way your CC was charged is normal. I've dealt with Graf's a lot, good folks.

Otto
October 17, 2008, 03:58 PM
FYI, Natchez Shooters has the best price right now at $337.99 + $20 s&h which is considerably less than Graf's price.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PC095100&src=tpCtg

RustyFN
October 17, 2008, 07:04 PM
I order from Graf's a lot. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to process but I always get my order within a week. I always get great service with Graf's.
Rusty

kmitchl
October 17, 2008, 08:15 PM
+1 on Grafs. I spend almost all my money with either Grafs or Brownells. Midway is on the bottom of the list.

dogrunner
October 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
Used 'em for years with no problems whatever. Frankly, I really didn't notice ANY quicker shipping from Midway, just higher prices. I've only had one instance wherein they had to BO an item, 7.62X54 brass, but they promptly noticed me and shipped the stuff as soon as they got it.

Much, much rather use them or Natchez than Midway, the latter lost me by hanging a 5 buck shipping charge on a two dollar shell holder........told 'em to keep it and went elsewhere.

karnaaj
October 17, 2008, 11:38 PM
Well, I'll be man enough to admit I was wrong to worry. The package showed up on my doorstep this morning. Ordered Tues nite received Fri morn? Holy cow!

I didn't realize that you have to request an email with tracking info. With Midway it's automatic.

NotSoFast
October 18, 2008, 12:54 AM
I have not had one problem with Grafs. And it is vcery hard to beat their $4.50 shipping & handling fee. And when I sent them my C&R license, they replied with an email guiding me through the setup process. With MidwayUSA I was on my own.

DEDON45
October 18, 2008, 10:41 AM
Karnaaj, since I'm in SC, I get my Graf's orders in 3 days... and they also do Sat. delivery (using Fedex Home delivery), so if I order on Wednesday, I still get it on Saturday. The only wierd thing is that Fedex Home Delivery doesn't deliver on Mondays.

gandog56
October 18, 2008, 01:45 PM
What I like best about Graf, Midway, And Wideners is they all give me a dealer discount with a C&R license!

angus6
October 18, 2008, 10:23 PM
I usally get items the next day if I order in the a.m. with Graf's or Midway

VonFatman
October 19, 2008, 01:51 AM
Yep, the C&R is the way to go...love the discount!

Bob

Moccw
October 20, 2008, 07:29 PM
I live an hour from midway, and about one and half hour from grafs, I like them both have been to both, just bought dillon 550 from grafs, and they got it to me asap, along with excellent customer service.

george d dennis
October 20, 2008, 10:54 PM
just received a order from grafs. total time 4 days.

gandog56
November 2, 2008, 09:42 AM
FYI, Natchez Shooters has the best price right now at $337.99 + $20 s&h which is considerably less than Graf's price.

Ahh, but Natchez doesn't give me a C&R license holder discount, Graf's does.

329.99 with my discount.

RustyFN
November 2, 2008, 12:46 PM
What I like best about Graf, Midway, And Wideners is they all give me a dealer discount with a C&R license!
Gandog how is the discount at Wideners? I know Graf's is good, Midway sucks with only 10 cents off I don't normally buy from them. Powder Valley has great prices even though they don't give a discount. This is the first I have heard that Wideners gives a discount. Brownells also gives a good discount, too bad they don't carry reloading supplies.
Rusty

TStorm
November 2, 2008, 02:51 PM
I did the same thing. LnL was on backorder @ Midway, so I cancelled that portion of the order. Ordered the press by itself from Grafs.

I got the press (shipping included) from Grafs in about 4 days. +1 from me.

NC-Mike
November 2, 2008, 10:42 PM
I didn't know Wideners offered a discount for C&R holders...

Clark
November 4, 2008, 10:44 AM
35 Whelen

Before ordering, I always do a price comparison between Midway, Grafs, Powder Valley, Mid-South and Widners. Widners seems to always have the best price. I've been buying from them for years and they've never let me down.
35W

We have an instinct to minimize recurring costs.
I have stayed up late, searching on line, trying to compare shipping costs on 100 bullets.

But if our time is worth $50/hour, then we should just buy from Grafs and never compare.

Reloading components have small margins, so forget it.

The place that screws me is Cabela's on hunting clothes.
I can't always compare apples with apples, so they make a huge profit on me.

jjohnson
November 4, 2008, 11:31 PM
I dunno, they told me I didn't qualify - maybe it was because I didn't have a tax stamp or something.:scrutiny:

At any rate, yeah, I never use Midway anymore except as an online reference.
They screwed me way too many times on shipping :eek: and, like others point out, my discount comes to about a dime on lots of items :mad:

That leaves me with Grafs and Wideners for many items, Powder Valley, MidSouth, and Natchez for the rest. Cabela's and Gander Mountain are nothing more than entertainment for me - a place to go eyeball things now and then or maybe buy the one item that they have on sale as a loss leader (duh - this month it's shotgun slugs in this area where deer is 'shotgun only').:cool:

TonyDedo
November 7, 2008, 02:02 AM
I had a BAD experience with Graf's when I organized a group buy on another forum, and I won't use them again. I sent in our order ahead of time, and Graf's confirmed they could fill the order except for 2 items that were out of stock - no big deal. I collected money from my guys and placed the order.

Six hours after they were supposed to deliver, I got a call from the truck driver. He was a half mile away, but didn't want to drive down my road because he was close to the freeway and didn't want to drive the extra miles (I live on a major road, not out in the woods). I ended up having to drive out to meet him and load my order into the back of my car along the side of the road.

I looked at the bill and noticed the amount was much less than anticipated. The driver shrugged his shoulders and said, "I guess they didn't have some stuff in stock - happens all the time." I had rushed out of the house and hadn't grabbed my copy of the order, and the truck driver was anxious to leave, so I wasn't able to check the order. I paid and took the stuff home.

Upon reviewing the order, I found at Graf's had missed nearly half my order, and had sent us a bunch of stuff we hadn't paid for. I called Graf's, and the guy I spoke with acted like I was out of line for being upset that my order was so screwed up. He said that stuff was out of stock, it happens all the time, and there wasn't anything he could do about it. When I asked about the stuff we hadn't ordered but paid for, he said, "Well, you can't ship it back, and we're not going to be out there any time soon. What do you want me to do about it?"

In the end we never got the missing part of our order, and I had to eat the cost of the extra stuff we were sent.

NCsmitty
November 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
I just ordered some Lapua brass for my 6.5x55 @$59.99 a hundred. That's $10 cheaper than Midway. I was looking for some bullets in 6.5 and found some Privi Partizan 139gr SP for $12.99 a hundred. They also have FMJ. I bought a couple boxes to try. They seem to be about like Corelokts in construction. It's hard to find those prices anymore. I have used PP ammo before in my Mosins and Swede and it appears to be good stuff.
Has anyone tried the Privi bullets?

I do need to send them my C&R for my next order.

NCsmitty

Otto
November 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
Ahh, but Natchez doesn't give me a C&R license holder discount, Graf's does.

329.99 with my discount.

Ahh, but the OP doesn't have a C&R license. Plus that, Graf's charges dealers a 3% credit card fee.

Furthermore, Graf's gives everyone (except dealers) a 5% discount on orders totaling $500 or more

fitz47
November 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
i like Graf and Sons They are decent people to do business with

straight-shooter
November 7, 2008, 07:10 PM
I ordered from them about a year ago for a case of 7.62x54R and received it here in Indiana in 4 days. I just placed another order tonight and expect it here next week without fail. I've spoke with them on the phone previously and they were professional and polite. No worry's here.

ar10
November 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
They are a much smaller outfit than Midway, however.

That's one of the main reason I buy from them. Next time you call Graf's tech support note down their answer. Then call Midway and ask the same question.

Ol` Joe
November 8, 2008, 10:55 AM
I looked at the bill and noticed the amount was much less than anticipated. The driver shrugged his shoulders and said, "I guess they didn't have some stuff in stock - happens all the time." I had rushed out of the house and hadn't grabbed my copy of the order, and the truck driver was anxious to leave, so I wasn't able to check the order. I paid and took the stuff home

Can`t really blame Graf for the shipping, they use Fed-x or UPS and don`t control then drivers or how the stuff is handled. I`ve even had small things sent USPS if I remember correctly.
They should though, have told you everything that they had on back order before shipping. If they knew some was in stock they should have known everything that wasn`t.

VonFatman
November 8, 2008, 11:21 AM
We (friends & I) did a large order (over 2k) with Grafs a while back. The only hitch was they needed a loading dock for their truck. This was not a problem as one of our KS buyers had the truck come to his work. It was a great deal. No haz-mat, no sales tax, free shipping. In our situation, we had instructed Grafs to hold the entire order until everything had arrived. We got all we had ordered in this transaction.

Bob

ranger335v
November 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
"The thing that worries me is that they wasted no time in charging my CC. When I went to the site and looked up my acct all it said was "processing". "

Well, it costs to give such feed back but what you already know is pretty much confirmation. Sit tight.

TonyDedo
November 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
Can`t really blame Graf for the shipping, they use Fed-x or UPS and don`t control then drivers or how the stuff is handled. I`ve even had small things sent USPS if I remember correctly.
They should though, have told you everything that they had on back order before shipping. If they knew some was in stock they should have known everything that wasn`t.

It wasn't a third party carrier, it was Graf's delivery truck.

The Bushmaster
November 8, 2008, 01:52 PM
Aah...I just went up on graf & Son and compared prices with a list of reloading supplies and equipment that I plan on ordering from Midway. You are correct that shipping from Graf & Son is much cheaper as you are only paying for shipping insurance. But the price at Midway makes up for the shipping and insurance. Most of the "stuff" I will be ordering from Midway is $1 to $4 cheaper at Midway. When you are talking about $1145 worth of "stuff". Midway is still cheaper even counting Shipping and insurance...

Of course I do have an advantage. Midway is just up the road from me...So to speak...

Hunter5117
November 8, 2008, 06:29 PM
Got my first order from Grafs last week. Arrived in 3 days after ordering. Somehow my order of 1000 small pistol primers morphed into 1000 large magnum rifle primers which would take me years to use. Called and they said NP to return but the hazmat cost would eat all of the value. I asked if I could exchange in person and they said sure. Dropped them off about a week later and got my exchange plus small refund. Nice people and nice new retail store out front. Will definitely buy from them again soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Graf's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!