A question for all the mods

PDA

abrink
October 16, 2008, 10:14 PM
Do you guys get paid to watch over this site? Do you really go through every thread and post and make sure there's no inappropriate posts?

And lastly, how do you find the time to both watch over the forum and give your opinion out?

You guys are the reason i keep coming to this forum and i definatly appreciate your work. Thanks guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "A question for all the mods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
October 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
We don't get paid.

It is impossible for every post in a forum this size to be read by a staff member. We depend on members to alert us if a thread is off-course or a forum rules violation has occurred.

Larry Ashcraft
October 16, 2008, 10:24 PM
Do you guys get paid to watch over this site?
Yep. Lots. (I'm kidding, we're volunteers).
Do you really go through every thread and post and make sure there's no inappropriate posts?
No. But there are enough regular members in here who care about what gets posted on this site, who alert us to questionable posts, so we don't have to monitor every thread.
You guys are the reason i keep coming to this forum and I definitely appreciate your work. Thanks guys!
We appreciate it. And I mean that sincerely.

hso
October 16, 2008, 11:23 PM
As has been said, none of the Staff have ever made a penny off of THR (some have paid to keep the site up just so the critics can castigate them:scrutiny:).

The members help keep the the place in order by reporting posts and threads that don't follow the spirit of the place. There's just too many to review by the "paid" staff.;)

The vision was to have a place where civil discussions could occur in the firearms community. The mission is to confound the antis by making that place public so all the folks who hear what immature untrustworthy thugs gun owners must be can see that gun owners are just as trustworthy as they are. By doing so the contributions of the members to the discussion would help protect the RKBA. That's why we're here.

ArfinGreebly
October 17, 2008, 12:35 PM
Heh.

Heh . . . heh . . . hee . . . heehee . . . heeheehee . . .

*Snort*

BWAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*Gasp*

*Snort*

Oh, man, don't DO that!

In other news, I noticed that I am now paid twice what I was paid for moderating last year. I am finding, however, that when I try to divide anything by that amount, I get an error on my calculator.

Oh, well, at least I can afford some new clothes from that new fashion outfit: Emperor's Clothing.

The Bushmaster
October 17, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'll be damned. Some of the MODs do have a sense of humor...

ilbob
October 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
Ironically, the two guys who apparrently stood to gain a fair amount of change for the site managed to blow it.

DuncanSA
October 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
One can only sympathise with hso and the mods who allow themselves to be castigated in the public interest. I believe this is a painful and irreversable operation!

Art Eatman
October 19, 2008, 07:57 PM
I have the advantage over a lot of folks, with regard to all this org-us nonsense: At age 74, I've heard a fair amount of childish twaddle in my time--and not just in the Legal and Rifle forums, either. (Or from campaign trail politicos, as well).

After almost ten years of moderating, it's not hard to tell what sorts of threads, what subjects, really need attention. Satellite Internet with 512k download means I can skim such threads rather quickly. And my reading speed is somewhere near a grand a minute--so be afraid; be very afraid. :D:D:D

The pay scale is somewhere near Suction City, however.

:), Art

abrink
October 20, 2008, 06:15 AM
Wow! You guys are volunteers! Cant believe you do all this for free. Thanks again guys.

Beren
October 20, 2008, 08:04 AM
I get paid. Art told me to talk to payroll and then payroll told me to talk to Art and I still haven't received my paycheck and he took my stapler and he never brought it back and then they moved my desk to storage room B and there was garbage on it...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:PqGOUnOXufx7mM:http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/milton/milton1.jpg

FlyinBryan
October 20, 2008, 09:54 AM
lol, @ beren.

hso
October 20, 2008, 10:03 AM
I believe this is a painful and irreversable operation!

Painful?

Yes

Irreversible?

No one told me it was irreversible!!! :eek:

XavierBreath
October 21, 2008, 07:03 AM
Paid? In cash? No.

It's a different story if you count the satisfaction of helping others as payment. I do. I get paid in full through the satisfaction of helping others.

While it's impossible to manage all the threads here, the search feature is a useful tool. Keywords like IBTL help a lot. ;)

Fred Fuller
October 21, 2008, 09:57 AM
Paid?

We're supposed to get PAID?

OK you guys, you've been holding out on me!

lpl :D

Odd Job
October 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
We should have an annual poll, on who the best moderator is.
If each voter (for the winning mod) pays in only $2, there can be a tidy token of appreciation for good folks on this board, at minimal costs to us, the people who enjoy the board.

Public vote, previous winners excluded from the next three polls.

Watcha think?

hso
October 21, 2008, 11:02 AM
As long as such a "beauty contest" doesn't involve a swimsuit competition. :scrutiny::eek:

ArfinGreebly
October 21, 2008, 01:12 PM
. . . swimsuit competition . . .

Eewwwwwwwww!

My last "swimsuit competition" was accompanied by the words, "turn your head and cough."

rswartsell
October 21, 2008, 03:34 PM
A hearty thanks for all your efforts guys.

Byron Quick
October 22, 2008, 05:20 PM
abrink,

Paid? You owe me a new keyboard. And I think I might have broken something internally by laughing so hard at the idea. What address should I send my medical bills to?

I was still laughing so hard when I got up, that I couldn't see where I was going. I walked into the doorframe, broke my nose and chipped a tooth. And it's all your fault!

Ed4032
October 22, 2008, 05:31 PM
WOW I did not know we had so many moderators !!!

gvnwst
October 22, 2008, 09:18 PM
this isn't all either...:D (unless some are the same people under assumed names:neener:)

BullfrogKen
October 22, 2008, 09:52 PM
There are no moderators here posting under multiple names. They are all who they say they are. They are all individuals, posting under the names and accounts they always have.

Conspiracy theories and tin foil hats? :rolleyes:

Art Eatman
October 22, 2008, 10:22 PM
I won't say Oleg's chinchy, but by the time he's done squeezing a nickel, ol' Jefferson looks anorexic. If we still had buffalo nickels, the lad could fertilize pretty near a full section...

JD0608
October 27, 2008, 10:52 PM
the mods seem to find my post with no problem. everytime i post anything negative about osama obama, i`m lucky if it`s still there for half a day. they deleted my picture of obama last night in less than 30 minutes.. whats wrong? you mods scared we might offend the left leaning crowd...

Jeff White
October 27, 2008, 11:14 PM
JD0608,
WHAT PART OF NO POLITICS ON THR DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND???

The answer to your problem is very simple, don't post political subjects and your posts won't get deleted or your threads locked.

There are plenty of places to talk politics on the net. THR isn't one of them.

Now that I've explained it to you, we shouldn't have this problem anymore should we?

Jeff

1911Tuner
October 28, 2008, 07:14 AM
the mods seem to find my post with no problem. everytime i post anything negative about osama obama, i`m lucky if it`s still there for half a day. they deleted my picture of obama last night in less than 30 minutes.. whats wrong? you mods scared we might offend the left leaning crowd...

JD...No. We're just trying to keep the discussions out of the political arena. Way YONDER too much opportunity for any political...hmmm...discussion to go down in flames. No sense in wasting bandwidth on a thread that's eventually doomed to a lock, with the distinct possibility of members being banned on top of it.

It's tough to address the question of 2A and the issues that we face without bringing politics into it. It's a trying time in our history, and we're all a little nervous about the upcoming election...but we have to refrain from letting a gun discussion escalate into a brawl...and that's exactly where a lot of those things go.

My grandpa used to say that there were four things that you didn't mess with unless you wanted bloodshed. A man's money...his wife...his bird dog...and his politics. It was good advice.

Art Eatman
December 16, 2008, 02:27 PM
And just how do we find off-topic or Low Road posts so quickly? Simple: Those who know the rules tell us when somebody breaks them.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question for all the mods" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!