How dangerous is the smoke?

PDA

marklbucla
October 17, 2008, 12:01 AM
I went benchrest shooting today at an outdoor range with one of those little brass catchers on my .22LR AR shooting Remington Golden Bullets. I noticed that there was a lot of smoke and that it continued coming out from the brass that was caught.

The question is, how dangerous is this to breathe in?

If you enjoyed reading about "How dangerous is the smoke?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
October 17, 2008, 12:58 AM
Probably about like walking on a downtown sidewalk at rush hour. I dunno. I'm 74, and have been getting regular whiffs for right at 68 years.

Maybe that's why I'm sorta goofy?

:D:D:D

HorseSoldier
October 17, 2008, 01:02 AM
Not too bad, I don't think.

The only exception I've personally been around is 5.45x39 ammo. Some of the Bulgarian (I think, possibly Russian) stuff we were issued for familiarization with the AK-74 would have the skin on your face burning and lungs hacking after a couple magazines unless you were in a strong wind. I haven't noticed it with stuff I've privately purchased for my Tantal, but the mil-spec stuff in the US military inventory seemed positively caustic.

CajunBass
October 17, 2008, 07:35 AM
Dangerous? :confused:

You mean you're not supposed to inhale it? :what:

GooseGestapo
October 17, 2008, 07:51 AM
It's very dangerous;:what:
It's highly addicting;:p
Ever wonder why they call us "Gun Nuts"?:scrutiny:
It's from sniffing gun smoke!
One whiff, and your hooked !
Can't get enough of the stuff, unless it's from Wolf, in that case, you'll probably suffocate. Really bad dope, if you know what I mean!

I sniffed my first gunsmoke when I was a wee lad, of 5yrs old. Been "hooked" ever since. Addicted for 47yrs now.
No know cure. Even worse than airplane exhaust !!! (tht stuff gives you one WHALE of a headache! Ask me how I know!)

For the Greatest "High", try ammo loaded with VitaVouri powders !!!
(Ever wonder why its so much more expensive than "regular" powders). Kinda like the Beluga Caviar of gunpowder.

Walkalong
October 17, 2008, 12:35 PM
For the Greatest "High", try ammo loaded with VitaVouri powders !!!So I'm not the only one who doesn't use powders that don't smell good? :D

Yep, Viht is good smelling stuff. :)

TargetTerror
October 17, 2008, 01:09 PM
While I doubt the relatively minuscule amount of smoke you may breath in from fired rounds is not enough to give you any major problems, I would avoid breathing in such smoke as much as possible. The main issue is the vaporized lead which you can then inhale. This can lead to lead poisoning, in the long term, and can give a nasty headache in the short term. I believe too that once lead gets into your system, it is there for good.

These concerns are not as strong with jacketed bullets, but 22lr might have issues.

HB
October 17, 2008, 01:18 PM
I usually place my mouth over the ejection port and take a drag and I'm normal :D

It can be that bad, especially in an outdoor range. I used to shoot .22's in a well ventilated indoor range about 4 times a week during small bore season and have no indication of lead poisoning. As long as you don't get too much, I see no problem with the second hand smoke.

HB

4Low
October 17, 2008, 01:27 PM
I don't think the smoke can be any worse than the cleaning fluids! :D Years of exposure to Hoppes No.9 or something similar will probably mess you up worse. :D

Freightman
October 17, 2008, 02:36 PM
I washed some coffee filters out and paper patched some swaged bullets, when I went to the range,was ask several times if I smelled coffee.

Gunnerpalace
October 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
I love the smell of cordite it kinda reminds me of the smell of rain.

mattw
October 17, 2008, 03:14 PM
Smells like freedom.

bergzilla
October 19, 2008, 02:31 AM
Ive got no clue how DANGEROUS the smoke is but I bet its less dangerous the the led that just zipped out the barrell. and in Oklahoma when its not to windy you can tell when even one round has been fired.:D

The Bushmaster
October 19, 2008, 12:16 PM
Love the smell of burned gun powder in the morning...Goes good with a steaming cup of black strong coffee...Breakfast of champions...

Frog48
October 19, 2008, 12:17 PM
Theoretically, its bad for your health.

Realistically, I wouldnt worry about it.

Al Thompson
October 20, 2008, 10:09 AM
Only cordite loaded ammo is antique ammo. Don't think many (or any) folks here have actually smelled cordite. :rolleyes:

kingpin008
October 20, 2008, 02:09 PM
I washed some coffee filters out and paper patched some swaged bullets, when I went to the range,was ask several times if I smelled coffee.

Now all you've gotta do is start lubing your bullets with bacon grease and you'll have a mighty fine morning at the range!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "How dangerous is the smoke?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!